❤️[ONE31] A Gift to the People You Hate (GMMTV): Toni Rakkaen / Yayaying Rhatha / Mek Jirakit / Namtan Tipnaree / Victor Zheng

sarNie Adult
Dang. So mysterious. I love it.

It kind of reminds me of Japan's Death Note. Every one of those people seem to have a good reason for using "the gift", and viewers may side with them instead of the police trying to catch the one behind it all. That's what I like about JDramas. When the bad guys are leads lol.

KitKat516

sarNie OldFart
Death Note!!!! I was so addicted to that back in the days (early 2000s lol). I thought if Thai remake that, Mike would be perfect.

Man Toni looks so bad@$$ shooting that gun. Mek and Victor looks hot too. When the mask count his fingers and gesture while laughing reminds me of Off lol.

Last edited:

sarNie Adult
I used to love Toni and then he kinda lost his charm for me on The Face Thailand. I think him being on that show was a bad move.

Mike has the look for Light, but I'm not sure his acting is up to par. If Thailand can do it right, it would be a good role for a newcomer or someone they're waiting to put in a lead role.

Yea. Mek and Victor are hott hahaha. Victor isn't a strong leading man, but he exudes charisma in a drama when he's in it.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
Brooding roles fit Mek well. "Room Alone", "Ugly Duckling: Don't", "Kiss the Series", "U Prince: Foxy Pilot", "Secret Seven". And I look forward to his villain role in "Angel beside Me".

Victor's charisma was at its peak in "U-Prince: Badass Baker". He just seemed to go downhill" from there, though his acting in one episode of "The Gifted" was a sorta scene-stealer.

Him and Mek are back together. This is their 5th project together, and first since "U Prince" (though they barely had scenes together as they were in separate stories).

sarNie Adult
lol how are these girls going into a store, encountering a creepy dude in a mask and they're not at all suspicious or freaked out by it?

Although we're led to believe the person who gifted Prang is Ploy, why wouldn't she think it's that girl (played by Ciize Apichaya) who always talks smack to her? The gift Prang chose for Ploy is a level 2. Level 4 is death, I think? Anyway, dude seems to be playing both girls to get as much life as he can. He's on no one's side lol.

Also, initially I thought the baddy is kinda stupid for leaving his logo on everything, but I think he WANTS the police to find him.

The story went into the "gifts" fairly quick without a buildup. So that's my gripe with it so far. With Liar Game, they build up the backstory a bit first before getting into the game.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
^ That's my same gripe with "Wolf". I mean what's the deal, why should I care that they're out to do challenges.

But I expect this to be a spiraling road, if I'm to base this on "Happy Birthday" (the director's past work). Layers upon layers of the story and the characters are being peeled off, as the story flows on.

sarNie Adult
How was "Happy Birthday" received by viewers? Anyone know where I can read story summary of it in English or Thai? I watched episode 1 I think and saw that Push was a superstar again, and his gf died. I was so over variations of Push being a Superstar storyline and didn't continue watching.

The story telling needs some work, but I'll stick with it. It's still mysterious enough to keep you wondering what's going to happen. So far, it's not predictable.

Hopefully, masturbation isn't a go-to in every episode whether it's a gift or otherwise.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
^ Just continue watching it. Push's character has a great development, same as with everybody else.

It was nominated for Best Script in the recent Nataraja Awards, up against Mia 2018, In Family We Trust, Love Destiny (which won the prize), amongst others.

Looks like there's an arc in each episode, and all these will be tied together in the latter ones.

First episode is "Gift to My Best Friend", and I can see Prang and Ploy having that rivalry. And based on the trailer the teacher and Prang's dad, and even Toni and Victor's characters seem to have a silent rivalry. Num is Ploy's older brother and will have his own issues later.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
GMMTV's girl group SISSY (Jan, Jane, Ciize and Aye) released the music video to their first single "Loading Love". This was performed by Prang's girl group in Episodes 1 and 2.

sarNie Adult
OMG is that Janie and Ciize(spelling?)? Wow lol what. Not sure if they were going for a girl group parody here. It's pretty bad. GMM can do better.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm utterly dismayed at the low view count in YouTube. Just 10K views, what the..?!?!?! I think this is the best drama GMMTV has come up this year. And it just gets better and better each episode.

Next episode would be the teacher/Ying's turn to visit the shop. I wonder how's she connected to Noom's role (Puimek/Ploy's dad). And I wonder if Mek/Num still being alive is just him being lucky, just as the shopkeeper has told him.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
lol how are these girls going into a store, encountering a creepy dude in a mask and they're not at all suspicious or freaked out by it?

Although we're led to believe the person who gifted Prang is Ploy, why wouldn't she think it's that girl (played by Ciize Apichaya) who always talks smack to her? The gift Prang chose for Ploy is a level 2. Level 4 is death, I think? Anyway, dude seems to be playing both girls to get as much life as he can. He's on no one's side lol.

Also, initially I thought the baddy is kinda stupid for leaving his logo on everything, but I think he WANTS the police to find him.

The story went into the "gifts" fairly quick without a buildup. So that's my gripe with it so far. With Liar Game, they build up the backstory a bit first before getting into the game.
I think in Episode 4 (the latest), they're starting to unravel the mystery behind the shop. So far, only those who have hatred in their heart can find it. Chut/Toni hasn't seen it yet, but I know he will in the future. I wonder what'll drive his hatred. I think it could have something to do with his dad or maybe his girlfriend Bell/Namtan.

I think there'll be some history-telling in the future, some digging as the story chugs along. But based on the past characters, many of them weren't first-time shoppers. Bell has already sent out a Level 4 gift in the past, and I wonder if she'll do that to her backstabbing co-workers.

sarNie Adult
I think it's because they didn't start with a backstory. Things just start to happen. People just being bad to each other without giving the viewers a reason to care about the characters and be invested in the story.

They did with the creeper guy with the crush, but for some reason, it was just so brief and poorly executed that while I felt bad for him, I didn't feel attached to his character or any character so far.

I stopped at the episode it was revealed that Mek bought a gift for the people who accidentally hit his parents. That was just so left field. Although surpises are good, it should be a surprise that was there all along and is like a "gotcha" and makes you go "ohhhhh" when it's revealed. But this just felt random.

I'll probably catch the end and work my way back, if it's good.

inbetweener_guy

sarNie Oldmaid
Episode 5 is crazy AF! First casualty amongst the lead cast. And I didn't expect Ying's role to turn out to be like she was in this episode. I just felt like her last scenes could have been executed better.

And now that Chut found out about Bell going to the shop, I wonder if he'll finally see that himself.

Episode 6 - Please don't kill Ploy!!!