A Smile in Your Heart

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Jellyfish said:
Oh no!! My heart is already hurting for James please don't be too mean all I can imagine is his sad baby face .
I don't know what is happening to me now a day im becoming so possessive of James don't want to see him with any other girl but yaya haha
LOL, welcome to Jurassic Park, where you can't take your eyes off Jirassaya for you have fallen victim to their enchantment. Haha.

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Jellyfish said:
Any cure? Keke
Not that I know of, but scientists are still trying to find a cure for Jirassaya disease. LOL. But by the time they do, i don't think i'll be curable anymore. :)

ImmaSingaholic

sarNie Adult
I hate to see James being friendzoned LOL! Poor him!!
I loved chapter 2!!  I think that whole scene between Fair and Yaya was cute!!!
YAYA'S CRUSH IS NADECH. hahahahahahah I cant wait to read more!!!! 

sarNie Adult
Jellyfish, ask and you shall receive....

Nah I'm kidding. I was so busy with work the whole week but I hope that I get to write chapter 4 this weekend. Anyway, I just cleaned up Chapter 3 and here it is, Douzo:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3 – The Winter Chateau

Yaya tried to stifle a yawn as she stood outside the CCV Building just minutes after sunrise. She wasn’t sure if Arch. Gundon was merely pulling her leg when he asked her to go there at 6 a.m. especially considering that the guard did not allow her to enter the building when she arrived. To be fair, it was ten minutes before the assigned time and so she stomped around in her rubber shoes and waited.

She was just about to practice her kata when she heard the honking of a car by the staircase. She turned around and saw that the driver of the dark blue sedan drew down the window and stuck his head out.

“Ms. Sperbund!”

He looked different as he wore sunglasses and a white collared t-shirt instead of the tailored suit he wore yesterday. She breathed a sigh of relief when she realized that she was not underdressed after all as she likewise wore a plain collared shirt and jeans. She approached his car and he motioned for her to get in.

Tentatively, she opened the door beside the driver’s seat and went inside. It was her first time to hitch a ride with a guy other than James, and it had a strange feel to it. It doesn’t matter, she shrugged, thinking she’ll kick his ass if he tries to do something, anything.

Once she was settled in, he smiled, showing off his dimple once more, and then he drove off.

Nah, he probably wouldn’t harass me like that… at least not today. Yaya thought as she nervously looked at the road ahead.

“Had a good sleep Ms. Sperbund?” Fair asked idly as he slowed down before a traffic light.

“Yes Arch. Gundon, thank you.”

“That’s good. We have a lot of work to do today.”

They drove in silence as Fair raked his mind trying to strike a conversation with her. Yaya on the other hand was at the edge of her seat, trying to memorize the path where he was taking her.

“Say Ms. Sperbund, I read in your essay that you decided to become an architect because of CCV’s work. Could you elaborate on that?” He glanced towards her direction and clearly saw her surprise, “We didn’t have an interview yesterday so what better way to save time than do it now, right?”

Thinking about her essay, Yaya relaxed a bit and loosened up. She smiled slightly then started, “When I was about to graduate from high school, I watched a play with my mother and my best friend. For the first time, we went to the Autumn Palladium which, then, was just newly opened.” Her eyes brightened up as she recalled the moment, “I looked up and saw the intricate details in the ceiling. Then when the play started it was magical how the light seemed to bounce off the walls. I didn’t even focus on the play anymore as I kept staring at the interior of the Autumn Palladium.”

Fair chuckled as she gushed on about the theater. “Autumn Palladium. That’s a classic.”

“It is!” Yaya said excitedly as she faced Fair. “It’s my dream to design something like that someday.”

Fair then removed his shades and placed it on the dashboard. He briefly reached across her and pulled out something from the glove compartment.

He handed her an android tablet and instructed her to open it.

“You came in just in time. How would you like to work on the Winter Chateau?”

“Winter Chateau?” Yaya asked curiously as she swiped her finger across the tablet to see a white model of a two-storey structure. Soon Fair moved the car off the concrete road and into a dirt path. He stopped and they found themselves in an empty lot.

Fair opened the door and went down. She was about to go down herself when she saw that Fair went around and opened the car door for her.

“See there?” Fair asked as he went around her and lifted the tablet (while she was still holding it) to let her see it against the empty lot. “This is the site of the Winter Chateau.”

Yaya looked around and saw the sunlight peeking through the tall trees from outside the empty lot. The rays fell down smoothly casting an abundant light. She wondered if it would be the same as the way the sun got filtered from the CCV building.

“Like the Autumn Palladium, the Winter Chateau would be something that would be one of a kind in Thailand. As you know, we do not have winter or autumn here, but as architects, we should be creative and try to recreate that feel and aesthetic here on this soil.”

She turned around and looked at him and realized he was so near her. He looked down and met her gaze and he had his own breath caught on his throat. Yaya quickly looked away and Fair coughed self consciously as he stepped back.

He walked further behind her and retrieved something from his car. He then motioned for Yaya to come near him as he pulled out a worn out white paper from inside one of the long portfolios.

“See here, this is one of the early sketches of the Autumn Palladium,” Fair said as he placed it against his car’s hood. “The façade was to face the road but the stained windows had to face the direction of the sun to catch its light”

Yaya felt the excitement running through her veins as she saw the real deal. It was the pencil sketch of the Autumn Palladium and it looked better than the actual thing. She reached out and touched the old paper reverently and traced it from the edge of the parchment up to the name written by the bottom border.

Fair Gundon, Intern No. 2398, 3/25/2010.

Yaya stopped as she looked more closely at Arch. Gundon.

“Wait… you… You designed the Autumn Palladium!?” Yaya gasped.

Fair threw her a tentative smile and then looked back at the sketch and chuckled. “Well… I was involved in it during my internship. Of course the plans were finalized by Mr. Chesney and I only did the basic sketch....” he babbled on as Yaya leaned further down the car’s hood and examined the old sketch.

She used her forefinger to trace the pillars of the theater, as well as the intricate design in the entrance which she realized was not carried over to the actual thing but would have looked marvelous just the same.

“Even before graduation, Mr. Chesney signed me on board and I was included in the team that created what the Autumn Palladium looks like today.” Fair smiled at the memories. He was then caught off guard when he saw the look of admiration in her eyes. “Oy, I said I was only part of the team. I didn’t design the whole thing on my own.”

“But still,” Yaya smiled as she clutched her hands against her chest. “I never thought I’d meet the person who actually did the sketches. I never thought I’d see the sketches!”

Fair shook his head. He had never seen another person so passionate about his work as much as she was. Perhaps Ms. Sperbund truly was special. “Well, I hope that inspires you to do well. This time, we’ll be working on the Winter Chateau, as I have said.”

“We?” Yaya looked at him at awe and then turned around to look at the empty lot once more.

“Are you up for the challenge Ms. Sperbund?”

Gathering her resolve, she clenched her fist across her chest and said, “Yes sir!”

----------------------------

James sat on the lunch table at the cafeteria dejectedly as he looked at his phone for the nth time.

Still no reply from Yaya.

He was worried sick about her that he did not even catch a wink of sleep. He called at their house and her mom said that she was so tired that she went straight to bed. When he came to their house that morning on the other hand, he was told that she left early for her internship. He wondered if truly she was ok.

He grabbed his backpack and caught the brown paper bag which Yaya’s mom handed him. Inside was the sandwich her mom prepared for him and ….wait… he moved his hand around and noticed that there was something else inside the paper bag which he hadn’t noticed earlier.

He pulled out a banana with a note tied to it with a red ribbon. He put the banana down and read the note carefully.

James,

Sorry I wasn’t able to call you last night but don’t worry about me ok? I’ll tell you about it soon.

xoxo,
Yaya

P.S. you owe me a Banana Song

Beside her note was a small drawing of Ms. Bluebell holding a banana.

James slumped down on the table once more, not sure if her note gave him any relief or if it just fueled his worry. He knew it was her habit to say she’s okay – he knew she wasn’t really okay unless she tells him to his face that she truly was all right.

“Yo Abacus Finch!”

Pai suddenly sauntered in his aisle by the cafeteria and the other students quickly picked up their trays and cleared the path, visibly anticipating a fight.

James did not even bother to move his head as Pai approached. Not now Pai, not now.

When he had no response, Pai sat down across him and placed his big hand on his head. “Yo Abacus? Are you dying or something?”

If I were, what would you do? James thought to himself as he straightened up in his seat and swatted Pai’s hand away. “Hey Pai, what’s up,” he greeted the football varsity captain in a dead monotone.

“Not my grades definitely,” Pai grumbled as he placed his hand on James’s shoulder. “Calculus make-up exam is on Monday.”

“Oh,” James nodded indifferently.

Pai’s posse soon surrounded them and sat around James, blocking his escape. “Look Four-Eyes. Didn’t you hear what I said?”

James straightened up, looked at him straight in the eye and for once Pai saw lightning behind his bespectacled gaze. Pai was suddenly taken aback by James’s menacing glare. Yet he regained his resolve and threw him a nasty look himself. “What’s this? Abacus, you’re now growing a spine?” Pai then caught James’s collar with his big hands and tugged at him so hard his glasses fell slightly down the bridge of his nose.

James sighed and simply pushed his glasses back. “What do you want Pai?” he asked exasperatedly.

“Saturday. You, me, my team. My house. You have to tutor us in time for the exams on Monday, got it?” Pai saw that there was an audience around him and so he shoved James hard against the table when he stood up, just for show. “If you don’t show up, then you’d better hide. Because come Monday, you’re going down.”

When they left, James re-adjusted his glasses and fixed his shirt and the other students returned to their seats as if nothing happened. James shook his head and looked as his phone again. Still no message.

Yaya, please be ok.

--------------------------------------------

“How many square feet of marble was it again?” Fair asked as he turned the steering wheel into another curve. The sun was just about to set and the orange lights entered the car’s windows as he drove around.

Yaya looked at her notes and said “3,492. Then the inner circle would need 232 square feet.”

Fair looked up briefly as though he computed in his mind. “Okay, I give up. I can’t do it. Send me the calculations tomorrow.”

“Through mail? I won’t be in CCV tomorrow Arch. Gundon, tomorrow’s my class day,” Yaya said as she put down the pen on the spine of her notebook.

“Ah. That’s right,” Fair slowed down as they reached a stoplight. “You better get my phone number then. Could you just please message it to me when you have the time? I’ll have to run through the calculations again.”

Thinking nothing much of it, Yaya got her phone and opened the contacts window.

Fair tried to hide his smile as he dictated his phone number to her. When she repeated it and he heard that she got it correctly, he looked at her to see her reaction when he said, “That’s my personal number.”

Yaya looked at him with wide eyes and he couldn’t help but smile at how cute she was.

“Message me there so I’ll see it right away,” he said. He pondered on his next words, until he finally decided, what the heck, just say it “You can message me about other things too if you like,” he added.

Yaya looked away at hearing his words and focused on the road once more. “Like maybe help with homework?” she quipped. The car briefly jumped as Fair accidentally stepped on the brakes and then they proceeded to move once more. Yaya laughed then and Fair had to look at her quizzically, until he caught her infectious grin.

“You’re teasing me now huh, Ms. Sperbund?”

Yaya shook her head and remembered the events of that day. She learned a lot about how architects worked on site, and for once she was able to apply what she learned in class. She learned a lot about Arch. Gundon too. She noted how intelligent he was and just how good he is with his craft. He was likewise very patient with her and taught her how to do measurements and critiqued her drawings. He was also a perfect gentleman, with the way he opened doors for her and assisted her, even that way he called her Ms. Sperbund even while they were joking with each other over lunch. His suggestion when he gave her his personal phone number was not lost to her and she suddenly felt her heart skip several beats.

“I really had fun today Ms. Sperbund. I hope you felt the same way,” Fair said as he gave her a sideward glance. “Better day today than yesterday I hope?”

Yaya smiled inwardly as he mentioned it. Yes. Better day today than yesterday, and she prayed it will get even better on the next day, and the day after that. She was glad that Arch. Gundon was her supervising architect. He was strict but not imposing; he challenged her yet he assisted her every step of the way.

“Say… Arch. Gundon, you went to the same university as I did, right?”

“Yes, around how many years ago, let’s see….” He then grinned and added, “Let’s not talk about that. You’ll probably say I’m too old” for you, he added the last part to himself.

“No, not at all,” Yaya chuckled herself. She didn’t think he was that old at all. In fact, she felt comfortable enough with him that she felt like he were merely an upperclassman and not her supervising architect.

“Did you have events back then too? Like Architecture Week?” she asked hoping to talk about a common ground.

Fair continued to smile and said, “Yes, we did. Ah. It sure brings me back. It was so much fun making those archways and 3D models.”

“We’re kicking off this year’s event on Sunday, you know. On Saturday, we’ll be putting up everything.”

“Oh?” Fair asked, obviously interested, as he threw her a glance.

Yaya pressed her fingers together as she thought of her words carefully. Must she invite him? No, he was probably busy with other things… but he said he liked Architecture Week, perhaps he would….

Her thoughts were interrupted when her phone suddenly beeped. She opened her phone and saw that James sent her a bunny sticker. Then James sent a message which said:

“Ms. Bluebell wants to confess what happened, but I didn’t let her, because I know she doesn’t like seeing me perform the Banana Song and I’ve practiced so hard for it too.”

He then sent another picture of himself with a banana peel on his head, serving as his faux bangs.

James was being so random that Yaya wasn’t able to hold back a chuckle.

Fair glanced at her once more and smiled, “Your boyfriend messaged you?”

Yaya’s eyes then widened as she let out a loud, “Ha!” She then placed her hand in her mouth, as if to compose herself, and said “No, it’s just my best friend being silly.”

“Best friend, is that what you kids call them these days?” Fair smiled and teased her a little. Yaya just shook her head and straightened out in her seat.

“Arch. Gundon, I’m good to go here. Thank you very much for letting me hitch a ride.” Yaya said as she replaced her backpack on her back.

“Are you sure?” Fair asked as he pulled on the hand break. “Perhaps I should bring you to your house Ms. Sperbund. It’s going to get dark pretty soon.”

“No, there’s no need. I can walk from here. The street is quite narrow and it might be hard for you to back up,” Yaya said with a smile. Before she could even pull the door open, Fair went down and went around the car again. She could have easily jumped off the car before he could even reach her, but… she didn’t know why… she felt so different when he opened the door for her.

“Thanks again Ms. Sperbund.”

They stood close to each other when she stepped out the car yet with one final smile, he went back to his car and drove away.

She stood there as he maneuvered the car and waved at him, not sure if she could walk with all the butterflies in her stomach.

If she could not walk, perhaps she could fly…

She felt as though she were floating down the road when she suddenly stopped when she saw James, with his head bent down, pushing his bike towards her direction.

“James!” Yaya exclaimed as she made a run for it.

The sound of her voice suddenly brought his heart back to life. At first he thought he was dreaming when he looked up and saw her running towards him, looking almost ethereal before the light of the setting sun. He had not seen her just for one day and yet he realized that he missed her more than he should. She looked so happy and so radiant that all his apprehension was suddenly lifted off his shoulders.

“James! I’m so glad to see you,” Yaya giggled as she threw her arms around his neck in a tight yet innocent hug.

He easily caught her in his arms although he had to step back a little to maintain their balance. She was real. She was here. She was his. His head sank against her shoulder and he closed his eyes as he breathed a sigh of relief. He was so very worried about her and he was so glad to see her looking as bright as she usually was, her light not fading, not one bit.

She was still grinning when she moved her arms and pulled away yet James’s hands were still pressed around her back. She wiggled a little and yet his hold stayed true.

“Oy! Let go,” She said with a giggle as she playfully slapped his upper arms.

“No,” he mumbled with his eyes still closed and his lips turned up slightly in a smile.

“MmmMMmmm…” Yaya whined and slapped him harder, “Oy, James!”

“No.” he said stubbornly as he opened one eye to give her a teasing look.

She then tried a different tactic and reached down his waist and started tickling him. Sure enough he loosened his hold and she was able to break free. She ran from him and mocked him to run after her with a mischievous grin. He merely stood back and pulled his bike so she had to run back to him to pull his arm.

“Come on, let’s eat dinner,” she said, “I’m famished!” Yaya then looked up to see James’s face and she noticed that his eyes were a bit puffy and he was paler than usual. “Hey James, what happened to you? You don’t look so well. Go invite Uncle Pat over for dinner too. You might have to ask him to drive you home. I can’t send you home alone looking like that.”

It’s nothing, it’s nothing now that you’re here and you’re fine –was something he was sure he can’t tell her. So he merely nodded as he let her drag him back to their house.

Dinner proceeded without any further incident, and Yaya seemed to be her normal cheerful self. He was worried for nothing. He decided to scold after dinner her for not telling him that she was okay sooner and instead let him grow grey hairs from worrying.

Yet when dinner was over, he saw her checking out something in her phone while having a strange smile in her face.

It was an expression he hasn’t seen before, not on her, and he wondered what its cause was.

He moved beside her and pretended to look at her phone and she merely turned and nudged him away, evidently unwilling to show him what she was looking at.

“Hey, what’s that huh?” he asked as he continued to look over her shoulder. She just made a face at him and said it was nothing.

He then moved his chair closer to hers and asked, “Are you okay now? Auntie said you looked like you had a horrible day the other day.”

Yaya placed the phone against her chest and then smiled wistfully. “Yeah… it was a bad day yesterday, but it’s okay, today made up for it.” She had that strange smile in her face again and James felt a subtle jab at the pit of his stomach. “Tomorrow James! Come with me okay?” she suddenly said excitedly as she squeezed his arm. “Wait, Sorry, I have to calculate something. I totally forgot. I’ll see you tomorrow okay?”

And just like that, she stood up and ran away and left him at the dinner table.

Upon seeing his confused expression, Yaya’s mom ruffled his hair and told him not to think much of it. Perhaps Yaya was cooking up some mischief again, her mother said and bid James goodnight.

James tried hard to push away his apprehension, thinking he probably was just too tired that he started to be a bit paranoid. But the very next day, when Yaya excitedly dragged him to the University Archives, he suddenly felt his apprehension go on full swing.

“What are we doing here Yaya?” James asked as they went to the yearbook section.

“Shh..!” Yaya dismissed him as she took out a yearbook from the shelf.

Just as ordered, he stood beside her silently and waited for her to move. Soon she went to the table and flipped the pages of the yearbook she just obtained. She flipped the pages carefully until she stopped and her face broke out into an ear to ear grin.

He looked at the page in the yearbook and saw a man, with kind eyes and a soft smile looking straight towards the camera.

Fair Gundon

He read the name silently. Who was this man and why was Yaya…?

Yaya quickly grabbed her phone and snapped a photo of the yearbook. She then leaned down on the table and read the write up about him. Curious, James likewise bent down and read it silently.

They say all is fair in love and war, but not with this Fair, the resident heartthrob of the College of Architecture. The Dean can attest to his powers of precision, but his designs are a testament that he is a true romantic at heart. For those pining ladies whose hopes got dashed during his tenure here at the university, do not despair. He claims that he’ll get right on the agenda of settling down once he had finished designing his dream home.

“What kind of write up is that?” Yaya laughed yet James noticed the bright pink tint in her cheek nonetheless. He suddenly had a heavy feeling on his chest as he put the puzzle pieces together.

“Yaya, who is he?” he asked tentatively, in the calmest tone he could muster.

Yaya merely grinned and pulled his arm to drag him out of the archives. Once they were out in the field once again. She smiled, that new smile of hers and said, “Architect Fair Gundon is my Supervising Architect at CCV. Imagine that, he graduated 4 years ago. I would have met him during our orientation. He could have welcomed us and I never would have known.” Yaya said with a contemplative tone.

What the…what is this….?

James couldn’t help but sit down as suddenly felt weak in the knees as he saw the most important woman in his life acting this way. He knew what was happening, he knew it. He might have been dumb in some things but one didn’t have to be a genius to find out what was going on.

That smile on her face yesterday, which was brighter than the sun… that excited hug she gave him… the way she completely neglected to reply to his messages… the way she looked at that black and white picture in the yearbook… it all pointed to one thing.

“You like him?” James blurted out without any ado.

“No!” Yaya half squealed when she slapped his arm playfully. She then sat down beside him and whispered, “I don’t know.”

James looked away from her and adjusted his glasses. He closed his eyes briefly and took a few calming breaths, then asked with that soft tone of his, “What’s he like...?”

“Well…” she grinned, not knowing where to start, and completely missing the tinge of sadness in her best friend’s eyes, “He’s quite intelligent and he taught me a lot yesterday about drawing and measuring angles and stuff. He has corny jokes, but it makes me laugh anyway,” she chuckled as she remembered one, “he … well… he’s a gentleman. He’s serious, but kind, and ….I don’t know.”

She placed her head upon her hands and then she looked up tentatively at James and asked, “Do you think I like him?”

Seeing the excitement in her eyes, which normally would have brought him joy, made him die a little.

“Do you think you do?” he asked her softly, barely able to speak audibly.

“That’s why I asked YOU, silly,” Yaya said, still not moving from her bent position with her head on her hands. “I don’t know… I’ve never felt this way about a guy before.” She bit her lip as she made the admission.

“Not even for Nadech Kugimiya?” James asked with a wry grin, already knowing the answer to his question even before she could come up with an answer.

“That guy is an actor, this is different,” Yaya said and it did nothing but drive the nail home, deep within his heart. “I dunno. What do I do? Last night I invited him to go to the Architectural Week prepping day on Saturday, on a whim. I didn’t think he’d say yes but he said he had nothing better to do so he said was coming.” Yaya said, not knowing that a void started to creep in James’s heart.

“You invited him to go?” he asked, not really sure about how he felt with how she felt.

“It was so stupid,” she continued as she bit her lip once more. “It was just an impulsive thought. Darn it! What do I do now? I want to see him, but at the same time I don’t.”

“Maybe it’s nothing much really, maybe you were just thinking too hard about it,” he mumbled, mostly for himself than for her.

“You’re right, your right.” Yaya said. “James, please stay with me on Saturday okay?” she said, almost begging as she grabbed his hand. “I don’t know what I’ll do; I just might make a fool of myself.”

Even if you fall in love, I’ll support you. I’ll always be here for you so you don’t have to be afraid, ok?

Those were his words to her days ago, yet now he wanted to eat those words. He looked at her then and clearly saw that new spark in her eyes, that spark he never saw before, that spark her eyes would probably never have for him. But what was he to do? To her, he was only her best friend and nothing more. He was going to be her brother forever, wasn’t that what she said?

He knew it was bound to happen someday. He just didn’t prepare for it in time. He needed time.

“Yaya… on Saturday, I have to do an errand.”

“What?” Yaya exclaimed, surprised to have such an important request be rejected by James. “Can’t you put it off for another day?” she asked, her eyes pleading.

He felt powerless against her, so he added “I’ll try to catch up as soon as I can, ok? But I’m not sure, it might take all day.”

She pouted yet she nodded her head in understanding nonetheless.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Dao and Michelle would be there, you’ll be fine,” James said with a lopsided smile, desperately hiding the pain he felt inside. “Don’t think too much of it. For all you know, you’ll be over it, over him before you know it.”

She looked thoughtful as she images of Arch. Gundon’s smiles and his kind words yesterday suddenly popped up on her head. “I don’t know James, I really don’t know.”

“Message me if something happens, all right?” he said, but he already knew that she probably wouldn’t. After all, she completely forgot to text him the other night whether or not she was okay, yet she had all the time in the world to invite Fair Gundon to the Architectural Week prepping day on Saturday.

He smiled and placed a firm hand on her shoulder. “Hang in there…”

Hang in there, he repeated, this time for himself. 

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Awe so sad, I can see James sad face and fake smiles. Love it, torture him to the fullest!!! Haha. Then fix him up later. :)

sarNie Adult
Chapter 4 – The Distance Between Heaven and Hell

She woke up kissed by sunlight with a light feeling in her heart. She could not remember exactly what she had dreamt of that night, but she was sure it was a pleasant one.

She gave Ms. Bluebell a gentle squeeze, greeted her father good morning and got up to seize the new day.

She went downstairs to see her mother packing up sandwiches on neatly wrapped kitchen towels as her grandmother sat by the counter chopping some vegetables.

“Good morning Mom!” Yaya said with a smile as she hugged her mother from behind. Her mother quickly placed down the sandwich she was wrapping and placed a gentle hand on Yaya’s face.

“You look like you had a good night’s sleep. Good morning my darling,” her mother said as she turned her head and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.

“Good morning Grandma!” Yaya then flew to her grandmother and likewise gave her a warm greeting.

“When you’re like this child, you are becoming even more beautiful,” her grandma chuckled as she threw her child a knowing glare. Yaya’s mom reciprocated grandma’s gaze with a smile.

“Care to tell us what’s up?” Yaya’s mom said lightheartedly as she gave her daughter another affectionate pat on the back.

“Oh Mom, it’s nothing. It’s the Architecture Week prepping day today. I guess I’m just excited. I might not eat dinner here tonight, it depends on how late we finish there,” Yaya said as she leaned on the counter and ate one of the unwrapped sandwiches.

“Oh? Call us if you and James are eating here all right? If not Grandma, Uncle Kitti and I might just eat out and catch a movie then,” Mom said as she sealed one of the paper bags. “Oh I better prepare more sandwiches then, you guys must need a lot of energy.”

“Thanks Mom,” Yaya grinned as she gave her mom another hug. Yaya looked over her mom’s shoulder, not letting go of her strong hold and said, “Grandma, is it true, I look more beautiful today?”

Grandma just grinned and shook her head. “Of course you are, my little girl, where else would you get your good looks from, if not from your mother and from me.”

For a child who lost her father, Yaya was still a bright and loving child. Grandma felt at ease knowing she and her mother had successfully raised Yaya with love.

Yaya laughed and kissed her mom, then quickly wiped her face when she saw she had accidentally placed some sandwich spread in her cheek.

“Oh Yaya, at least my pretty girl is here giving hugs and kisses to her mother and not to some boy,” her mother teased, “but if it is this boy that I know, I wouldn’t really mind.”

Grandma seconded her mom’s subtle jab and chuckled herself. “Where is that boy anyway?” she muttered, mostly to herself.  

“Grandma! Mom!” Yaya exclaimed as she turned around and washed her hands. “What are you guys talking about? Of course I love Mom and Grandma, not a boy. Not any boy.”

Grandma shook her head and said, “Oh my lovely Yaya, you’re not getting any younger. You are turning out to be a beautiful woman and pretty soon you’ll find your man.”

Man.

Yaya blushed as she remembered his broad back, his soft dimple and his gentlemanly ways.

“Here’s your sandwich dear,” Yaya’s mom saw a strange smile in her face and tried to hold back a chuckle. Her baby is growing up faster than she thought, “This one I packed for James.”

“Hmm?” Yaya snapped out of her reverie and got the bags from her mother. She was about to tell her that James was not going to be with her that day but before she could give her back the bag, she realized someone else would be there.

“Thanks Mom!” She then gave her mom another kiss on the cheek and did the same with her grandma and then ran off.

Her mom and grandma looked at each other knowingly and laughed. Their lady princess is still after all, a little girl at heart.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

He woke up with a nagging headache and he was still surprised that he was able to get out of bed at all. He couldn’t even remember eating breakfast, if ever he did eat breakfast, and just told Uncle Pat that he was leaving and then went off. He moved sluggishly as he pulled his bike uphill, and he had to drag his feet as they felt like a ton each.

He wasn’t sure if he had the telltale signs of flu or if his headache was brought about by his knowledge that he has yet to face the most sickening ordeal of his day – tutoring the Football Varsity in math.

He was not left much of a choice. He could either give in to Pai’s demand and have his head (or his body, depending on how bloodthirsty the team is feeling) wrecked or stay with Yaya and have his heart torn into pieces. He chose the lesser evil – thinking that after today he could just go to the hospital and be done with it. With heartbreak, he has yet to find a cure.

Chilled by his grim thoughts, he reluctantly parked his bike and rang the doorbell once he reached the big mansion that was Pai’s home.

The house was tastefully decorated and one would not think that a barbarian such as Pai lived inside. The mansion, nay, the palace had a lush garden with marigolds and other flowers he couldn’t identify and the main house itself was massive and yet had an elegant touch to it. The housekeeper led him to the receiving area and there he waited, dumbly staring up the paintings at the walls as he clutched the straps of his backpack.

He had been to the house several times growing up, as in the few occasions that his parents were in Thailand, they were invited by Pai’s parents to attend their lavish balls. His parents assumed that he and Pai got along for the simple reason that they were both boys and are of the same age, yet he wasn’t surprised at how wrong their presumption was, considering they were barely present when he was growing up. It was funny, now that he thought about it, how their parents thought they were the best of friends, perhaps they could have been, if only Pai moved on and started to think more like a 21-year-old than the bully that he was a decade ago.

Yet there was another character that barely changed at all since he saw her for the first time in his childhood.

The young lady of the house slowly descended down the staircase, with her lush hair flowing behind her back. She wore a long summer dress, not unlike what can be seen in the latest and hippest European fashion magazine. Her long graceful manicured fingers idly touched the varnished balustrade of the staircase while her other hand held a small well groomed toy dog which had a matching outfit as hers. Her nose stayed pointed up in the air as she maintained her haughty expression even as she reached the landing. She then sashayed around him, and scrutinized him from head to toe.

He couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable as he drew himself into attention, almost hoping he can fold himself up and disappear.

“Well well, if it isn’t Harry Pouter,” she drawled out she gave him a pointy glare.

He sweat-dropped and realized that Pai’s whole family was into puns after all. He moved his hands to give a solemn wai and said, “Good Morning P’Noey.”

“Lady,” She muttered as she pulled a feathered hand fan out of nowhere and whacked his arm with it, “It’s Lady Noey.”

She slowly let down her dog and continued her scrutiny of him. “What are you doing here? Oh wait… don’t answer that. It doesn’t matter. What is that hideous thing that you are wearing,” she gasped as she continued to poke him with her feathered fan.

“Uhmm… clothes?” James answered, not sure of what she was asking in the first place.

“Ah, duh,” Noey said as she rolled her eyes and proceeded to fan herself. “You know what you look like right now? A dweeb. You look like Bill Gates, on a bad day, a very bad day.”

James would have laughed had Noey not looked dead serious when she talked.

“Ugh. Who am I to talk, my idiot brother doesn’t look any better. Hideous, hideous things you are,” she muttered as she shivered lightly, “My idiot brother and his idiot friends are all in the den. I guess you’ll be having another idiot party. I’d better take Ofelia outside and continue my work in the garden, or she might catch your idiot virus.”

“Uh… O…kay.” James moved his hand and gave her another wai, and added, “Thank you P’… I mean, Lady Noey.”

He watched as she sauntered down the hall and out into the garden where the small toy dog followed in tow, with its four legs not even tripping once on its long clothes. James shook his head and then proceeded to the den.

His head started to throb once more the moment he approached the scene, as the loud bass speakers hummed and sent vibrations down the floor. He could smell barbeque, chips and other sort of junk food from where he stood and he was starting to feel nauseated. He wasn’t fast enough to evade a ball thrown towards his direction and he nearly doubled over when it hit him.

“Guys! I said don’t play with the balls indoors. My sis would go ballistic if we damage another sculpture,” Pai grumbled as he walked towards James.

His teammate quickly apologized and retrieved the ball, but not before giving James a hard pat on the back.

“ABACUS!” Pai shouted as he opened his arms and moved towards James’s direction. Like his team mate, he likewise gave him a forceful pat on the back and he nearly fell on his face. James adjusted his glasses and reluctantly removed his backpack, wondering if his things inside were still intact after the brutes hit him.

“Nice to have you here again Abacus, come, grab a barbeque. Me and the boys are gathering up our strength because today we’ll be flexing our head muscles, right boys?” Pai laughed victoriously as he raised his arms to flex his biceps. “See that! Maybe my hair would start growing muscles too.”

James felt his eye twitch as he forced himself to smile. It was going to be a long day, and at that point he wondered if the offer to just have the whole Football Varsity beat him up on Monday was still open.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The preparations were already in full swing when Yaya arrived at the scene. She was just putting her helmet away in the basket of her bike when Dao and Michelle suddenly welcomed her by shoving a can of paint and a paint brush on her hands.

“You are not going to guess what just happened,” Michelle started as she pulled her arm

“It’s insane, insane,” Dao stopped briefly to contain a squeal, “Professor Song came early today, and do you know why? Of course you don’t.”
“Oh gosh, this is going to be the best prepping day ever!” Michelle giggled as she hugged Yaya’s arm tighter.

“You guys, you guys, what’s happening?” Yaya laughed despite the confused look in her eyes. “Could you guys calm down for a sec and tell me what’s going on?”

“Two words, Oh wait, make that four, Fair ‘Original Heartthrob’ Gundon is coming here.” Dao said as a-matter-of-factly.

At this, Yaya couldn’t help but blush, still unsure if she could act normally around him now, especially with the fuss that her girlfriends are making.

“You guys know who he is?” Yaya asked as she gave the girls a quizzical expression.

“Duh Yaya, how can we not know him - the Legendary Fair Gundon of the College of Architecture? He set all the academic records in all the major subjects, which… well, which you toppled over, and on top of that, he launched the very event that we’re having in the first place, back when he was the president of the student council…” Dao just blathered on as Yaya’s eyes continued to widen.

“How could you know all this information -”

“-How could you not know Yaya? I don’t believe you!” Michelle laughed as she tapped Yaya’s shoulder playfully. “He’s the embodiment of Mr. Perfect. My older sister still harbors a crush on him to this day. Did you know that she joined the cheering squad just to be closer to him when he was still playing football in the varsity?”

“He was a varsity player?” Yaya gaped at what she just heard. Maybe she shouldn’t have run off after she read Fair’s entry in the yearbook. She still missed a lot of info apparently.

“Well anyway, Mr. Perfect messaged Professor Song that he was coming over, and of course our dear old Prof. suddenly decided to oversee the whole affair. The news has spread and even our other (female) Profs are coming, the crowd is going to go wild!” Dao continued her report, not even breathing once as she spoke. “Anyway, many of the professors missed him because he didn’t even get to attend the graduation rites because he was so busy with work – he was hired by CCV even before gradua…… HEY. Wait a second.” Dao suddenly stopped and dropped what she was doing and looked at Yaya squarely.

Upon seeing Dao’s actions, Michelle did the same and suddenly Yaya was unsure of what to do.

“You – Him, CCV!” Dao said in a deadpan manner as she reached out and held Yaya’s shoulders. “Oh dear Ms. Perfect, don’t tell me… don’t tell me….”

“Have you met him personally?” Michelle gushed, unable to hold back her excitement.

Yaya looked down and pursed her lips, trying hard not to smile and whispered, “Architect Gundon is my Supervising Associate.”
At this her girlfriends screamed and squeezed her tight, and the other people at the field suddenly wondered what was happening. Upon seeing that it was nothing but girlish excitement, they decided to leave them be and carried on with their work.

Dao and Michelle quickly dragged Yaya away and she had no choice but to follow in tow.

“Ohmygodohmygodohmygod Yaya! We have to prep you up! It’s your chance!” Michelle giggled as they brought her to the bathroom.

Dao quickly searched her purse for her make-up kit as Michelle started reaching for her brush.

“You guys, what are you doing?” Yaya laughed, but nevertheless used to her friends’ excitement.

“Yaya, I can’t believe this. This is your golden opportunity. Mr. Perfect and Ms. Perfect. On a Perfect Saturday. Together. This is what fairytales are made of girl, and we’re just here to be your fairy godmothers,” Dao said as she looked at how she was going to do Yaya’s make up.

“You guys, that isn’t necessary,” Yaya grinned as she pushed Dao’s hand away.

“Well she is right Dao, Ms. Perfect already looks perfect.” Michelle nodded as she moved to brush the errant locks away from her face and redo Yaya’s simple pony tail.

“Ah pshaw, this is a special occasion. Too many dorks and jerks have been pining for you for so long, this time we’re going to get the real deal. We have to enhance your assets girl.”

“Hey Dao, last time you ‘enhanced my assets’, I was practically left half naked!” Yaya said as she hit Dao playfully on the shoulder.

“You don’t say? What? Tell me what happened!” Dao suddenly stopped - her face suddenly full of concern.

Yaya then told a very short version of what happened when she and Arch. Fair Gundon first met – how he helped her with her wardrobe malfunction and how nice he was to her the next day.

By the end of her story, her friends were red from trying to hold back their squeals and they happily hugged her with dreamy expressions on their faces.

“Oh Yaya, my dear girl, this is it. How lucky you are!” Dao said as she finally settled down with just putting on lip gloss on her.

“Don’t be nervous, we’ll just be here to support you all the way, okay?” Michelle added as she looked at her through their reflection on the bathroom mirror.

Don’t be nervous, they said, and she had been telling herself the same phrase over and over again, yet it was easier said than done.

The moment Fair’s dark blue sedan came into view she already started feeling the butterflies going around her stomach once more.

Relax, relax, Yaya repeated the words to herself like a mantra as she continued to focus on what she was doing, pretending to be completely oblivious to his presence. It was a feat to do so as he almost had a rock star status among the faculty and those other students who recognized him that they all flocked over to where he was.

Curiously, she craned her neck and tried to find him in the small crowd that gathered around him.

He wore more casual attire and this time, his hair was combed differently, or rather, it appeared not to have been combed at all. He looked so young that he appeared to be a student, just like her with his round neck shirt and jeans. When she saw him this time, it became more believable that he was part of the Football Varsity with the muscles being more apparent, without being completely obvious through his shirt. 

She tried to maintain the strokes in what she was painting, even when she strained to hear her professors saying how little Fair changed from four years ago and how glad they all were to see him again. Professor Song was amazed how he still remembered the Architecture Week and he was boasting of how it had evolved into a wonderful tradition in the College of Architecture.

“You don’t have to thank me, Prof. Song,” Fair chuckled as he gave the older man a reverent pat on the back, “you have to thank your student here, who is turning out to be a very promising intern at CCV,” he added as he stopped right behind Yaya.

Yaya felt all their gazes upon her and she had no choice but to turn around, with the paintbrush still in her hand. She moved to bow her head slightly to acknowledge everyone’s presence and then smiled at Fair tentatively.

“Good morning, I’m glad you made it, Arch. Gundon,” she said, wondering if her nervousness was audible from her voice.

“Oh Yaya, she’s our pride and joy,” Professor Song started, “Dare I say it, I think she’s closely following your footsteps. She excels in sports while maintaining good grades. Now she’s with you at CCV!”

“Yes, yes indeed. She and I are currently working on a project,” Fair said as he gave Yaya a wink.

“That’s marvelous, simply marvelous. Good things always happen when great people come to work together. Let’s hope this year’s Architecture Week would also be a big hit.” Professor Song said as he finally walked away to oversee the other students.

“I didn’t know you were so popular Arch. Gundon, perhaps I should have just invited you for tomorrow’s event,” Yaya smiled as she continued what she was working on and focused on the wall she was painting, “How could I ask you to help us out now when clearly you should have been the guest of honor in the ribbon cutting ceremony instead.”

Fair shook his head and smiled as he looked for another paintbrush, “What are you talking about? I love the prep day more than the launch. It’s more exciting to see things getting built from scratch, don’t you think?”
She saw Michelle throw something at them from the corner of her eye and when she turned around, she saw that Fair managed to grab a paintbrush and stood beside her. Yaya looked towards the other direction and saw Michelle and Dao giving her a thumbs-up sign. Yaya couldn’t help but shake her head as she tried to get over her friends’ antics.

“Thanks for inviting me… Yaya.” Fair smiled after saying her name, “Yaya is what they call you here right? I hope you don’t mind-”

“-No! Not at all. Yes. Yaya is my nickname,” she smiled, then immediately refocused her gaze on the wall that she was painting.

Idly, Fair moved a little closer to apply a double coat on the portion she just painted. Yaya bent down to get more paint when suddenly their hands bumped each other when they reached out for the can at the same time.

“I’m sorry Arch. Gundon.”

He cleared his throat once and said, “Well… Since we’re here as fellow students of the College of Architecture, and it’s outside your working hours… You really shouldn’t call me ‘Arch. Gundon’ you know.”

“Hmm?” Yaya stopped and looked at him with wide confused eyes, “What should I call you then?”

Fair gave her a sideward glance then focused on painting the wall once more, looking a little embarrassed himself, “Technically, I’m your Pee… So call me P’Fair, Nong Yaya.” 

P’Fair… Yaya tried the words silently on her lips and felt shy just saying it. Just then two of her classmates stumbled beside them as they carried blocks of paneling. Fair quickly moved to assist them, and was quickly given a “Thanks P!”

“See, that wasn’t so hard,” Fair said as he removed dirt from his hands and resumed his work. He looked at her again and smiled. “Only for today, hmm?”

Yaya shook her head and chuckled. “All right… P’Fair.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

James raised the white flag.

There was no way that the oafs of the Football Varsity would understand differential calculus. They’ve been studying for an hour and the guys still can’t figure out that they were studying math and not English. 

“It’s f(x) because it is a function,” James mumbled as he supported his head with his hand against the board. His throbbing headache was now near debilitating.

“But G! G is what comes after F, what the hell Abacus!?” Pai snapped, with the rest of the boys voicing out their approval.

“We’re not alphabetizing you guys,” James’s voice nearly cracked as though he were close to tears, “We’re studying the movement of lines in the Cartesian plane, see?” James pointed to the colorful illustration he made on the side of the board with the slope and tangent lines.

“I don’t get it, I really don’t get it!” Pai grumbled as he stood up and placed his hand ominously on James’s shoulder. “You guys, c’mere, we might need to freshen up a bit.”

James was caught completely off guard when the guys suddenly lifted him up and carried him outside. He sputtered his protests until he realized where they were taking him. Soon they were outside in the garden where they appeared to be intent on throwing him on the clear blue swimming pool. Gathering his wits, he tried to breathe in and hold his breath.

“Heave Ho! Heave Ho!” the guys shouted in sync as they posed to throw him in the pool when…

“WHAT ARE YOU IMBECILES DOING!?”

The boys automatically stopped their actions and even James stayed frozen while he was held by the team over their heads.

“Put him down!” Noey ordered angrily as she placed the paint palette and brush she was holding by the table. The small toy dog, Ofelia, stood up from where she was seated on a chair by the canvas and started barking in support of her master.

James was thankful for the reprieve and his knees nearly gave out when he was finally placed on solid ground. At least he still had the presence of mind to move away when Noey suddenly stomped to where they were and unleashed her fury.

He would have laughed if he still had the energy to do so, when Noey suddenly reached up and slapped each of the Football Varsity member’s foreheads like a mother admonishing her small child.

“Pai, didn’t I tell you that the garden was mine and you can all just have your idiot party in the den?! Ugh… You are destroying beauty… ART!” Noey gave Pai another slap on the forehead. “Art needs peace and quiet … and ughhh… you guys look unsightly. Could you stop inviting clowns to our house? Jeez.”

The guys suddenly tugged on their sleeveless athletic shirts and shorts and wondered what Pai’s big sister was talking about.

“YOU. GO BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND STAY THERE, YOU USELESS OAFS.”

James stared at awe how Pai’s dainty sister managed to keep the Football Varsity in control, or rather, made them meek as lambs as they cowered and returned to the den in a single file with their heads bent.

“I’m sorry P’Noey,” Pai mumbled with a pout as he bent down and apologized, “I didn’t mean it… but math’s so hard and…”

“Go, just go,” Noey hissed as she pointed towards the door and waited for her brother to leave.

James took that as his cue and tiptoed away when –

“You. Stop. Come here.” Noey ordered with a stomp of her foot.

Timidly, James turned around and approached her as ordered.

“You’re teaching those imbeciles math?” Noey asked incredulously as she placed her elegant hands on her waist.

James adjusted his glasses and straightened out his attire subconsciously as the terror that is Noey continued to stare at him. “Uh… calculus actually… P.. I mean, Lady Noey. I’m trying to but… well…”

Noey then lifted her head and laughed, that lavish evil laugh that he often heard in those lakorns which Yaya’s Grandma loved to watch.

“You had more guts than I thought Harry Pouter, or should I say you’re dumber than their whole lot,” she circled around him once more and then motioned, “Come with me.”

Dumbly he followed her and he realized they went back inside to the den where the guys were apparently settled down and still reeling from Noey’s admonishment.

He was caught off guard when Noey suddenly pulled down his collar until they were face to face with each other.

“Those idiots do not respond to any other emotion apart from anger. The only way they’ll learn is if you’re angry with them,” Noey whispered to him with a knowing smile “Think about it, have you ever seen a calm football coach before?”

James then thought of it and realized that the football coaches he knew always had a cap on, hands on their waist, shouting profanities, all the while not spitting their gum.

“Show me your angry face,” Noey demanded as she pushed him away.

Startled, all James could do was stare wide-eyed at Noey.

“Idiot!” Noey grumbled as she slapped him in the ear. “Angry face, duh, angry face!”

James tentatively moved his face to the side and imitated the way Noey haughtily looked up with her nose in the air.

“More, more!”
James then moved his face from side to side and still maintained that haughty expression.

“You have to shout okay, every lecture must be a shout and insult them, insult them with everything that you’ve got.” Noey said, uncharacteristically encouraging. “Imbeciles, idiots, dumbass, oaf, buffoon, do you need more words?”

James shook his head and tried to process what Noey was telling him. He was surprised once more when she suddenly pushed him inside the den and she followed in tow.

The Football Varsity was softly whispering to each other and they all stopped and looked straight when they saw Noey right behind James.

James likewise stayed silent as he looked at Noey, not sure of what she will do.

Noey walked casually in front of the crowd and looked at the board where the equations were. Then she stopped in front of James, looked at him from head to toe and ….

*SLAP!*

The guys audibly gasped in unison as they heard the loud sound of Noey’s long fingers hitting James’s cheek. He nearly fell on his side, until Noey gave him a pointy glare and whispered, “Do it Pouter! I’ve empowered you to show them my wrath.”

Noey then moved to the side of the room by the door and crossed her arms, maintaining that snooty expression of hers.

James moved his hand and lifted his glasses up the bridge of his nose, completely ignoring the throbbing pain in his cheek. As if in a trance he looked at his audience menacingly as instructed by Noey. He walked slowly as she did earlier, looking the team over from head to toe with a condescending expression. He then took a whiteboard marker with one hand and suddenly hit the board with his other hand.

“The real lecture begins now, maggots.”
------------------------------------------------

Yaya stood back and observed how the temporary structures they built looked like under the reddish hue of the setting sun. There were little modifications suggested by Fair in their design and she was amazed at how the little adjustments made a big difference.

Fair stretched beside her and then placed his hands on his waist and likewise observed their handiwork. “You know, I love staring at sunlight. The way the sunrise bounces off the walls and put things into spotlight and the way the sunset casts a warm glow.”

Yaya looked at him with wide eyes, surprised that he thought the same way as she did. No wonder she saw him looking up the same way as she did back then when they met for the first time…

“It’s the same as the Autumn Palladium, and the CCV Building,” she said as she refocused her gaze on the structures they built, “It’s going to be like that for the Winter Chateau too, right?”

Fair smiled wistfully, delighted by the thought that another person noticed such things as he did, “When we came to the empty lot, it was still morning. Actually for this one, for the Winter Chateau, I’m thinking of playing with the moonlight.”

“Moonlight?” Yaya asked suddenly curious.

“The Winter Chateau is going to be an abode, a country house, not a theater or an edifice. It has to be softer, perhaps even…” Fair looked at her and she subconsciously turned her head and looked at him as well until their eyes met, “romantic?”

Yaya felt the burning in her cheeks as she looked into his eyes, yet she was mesmerized and was unable to look away.

“Romantic? I’m sorry P’Fair. I don’t know about romance.”

“Oh?” Fair smiled warmly then, and she couldn’t help but notice his dimple once more. “And I brought you on board just for that. I’ve been watching so many romantic movies you see, even just to observe the houses they go to, the sites they see, I likewise couldn’t get it.”
Yaya shook her head and tapped his arm lightly, playfully, “You’re teasing me.”

“No, really!” He said, “Come watch a movie with me if you don’t believe me.”

Yaya was about to reply when she remembered the way he gave her his number, and the way Dao and Michelle had teased her earlier. “Heh, I’m not falling for that trick twice, P.”

Fair’s eyes widened and he realized what he just said. “Oh… oh… sorry. That just came out without any warning huh?” He laughed at his own foolishness. “Haven’t seen a movie for so long…”

“Why don’t you ask your girlfriend?” Yaya asked tentatively, trying to keep a straight face and her voice calm.

Fair shook his head and grinned, “I’ve yet to ask a girl to be my girlfriend.” He looked at her once more with those warm eyes of his and added, “If only it was as easy as getting stellar interns from the College of Architecture you know?”

Yaya bit her lip as she got the courage to say, “Really now, how could you find it so difficult Mr. Original Heartthrob?”

“Original Heartthrob!” Fair laughed as he heard the moniker, “Ha! That’s classic. I didn’t think I’d hear that again. Darn. I’m so old.”

Yaya laughed at his reaction, “But really, it shouldn’t be difficult for you.”
Fair pursed his lips and gave her a sideward glance and teased, “Well, what about you? Aren’t you my successor? I’ve seen boys tripping all over their toes just to get your attention, all day long.”

Yaya shook her head and gave him a quizzical expression.

“That’s different.”

“That is different,” Fair replied. “Even back then,” he nodded knowingly. “Well… there was this girl that I liked.”

Yaya suddenly looked at him with wide eyes, visibly interested in his story. “Go on.”

“Back in college – she was in the College of Fine Arts. She hated me for some reason.” He paused for a while and grinned. “But it was funny. Even when she ignored me, her mystical glow under the sunlight still made her shine so brightly, I still couldn’t help but stare at her.”

“Ha!” Yaya laughed as she pushed Fair to the side, “You liar! You said didn’t know anything about romance! That was really mushy, you know?” 

“Heeeeey,” Fair narrowed his eyes and pretended to feel hurt. “That was just the intro of the story. Not even half of it,” he said.

“Oh, then go tell!” Yaya said with pleading eyes as she stared at him.

“Some other time,” he grinned, “Perhaps over dinner?”

Yaya gave him a look and he laughed and said, “Okay, okay, I get it. My bad.”

After a while he smiled at her and said, “You know, there’s a huge event at CCV coming up soon. About two weeks from now is the Founder’s Ball.” Fair said in a serious tone. “As your Supervising Associate, I would expect you to be there, looking your best and well… actively participating in the festivities.”

Yaya nodded upon hearing the news. A ball!

She was just letting the news sink in when suddenly Professor Song called and announced that the faculty members all decided to chip in and treat everyone out to dinner. Her classmates all shouted in unison and quickly got up to pack their bags, excited for the free treat.

“Huh, Professor Song must really be in a good mood,” Fair laughed as he straightened out and observed the other students.

“Well, how could he not, he saw his favorite student again,” Yaya teased as she shook her head.

She was just about to grab her bag when she saw something moving by one of the pillars about a meter away.

“Come, shall we join them?” Fair asked, only to realize that his question fell on deaf ears as she continued to stare ahead.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one glimpse, just one look and I’ll be ok. He thought to himself as he dragged his feet to where she was. His head continued to throb and his throat likewise felt like it was on fire after the gruesome lecture he gave the Football Varsity. Yet he wanted respite from his pain. He knew he had to see her, he needed to.

And there she was. She looked as bright and cheerful as she usually was, as the light shone vibrantly from her eyes. Even his nearsightedness couldn’t diminish her brilliance. The architectural display looked better than he had ever seen it before and she surely must feel proud. From where he stood he strained to hear her joyous laughter and her sweet voice. He had memorized the way she shook her head at a corny joke or the way she playfully slapped people’s arms lightly to tease. He had been with her in so many instances, in so many happy moments before that he felt that his life wasn’t as lonely, wasn’t that bad.

Yet now she smiled, so radiantly, so readily – perhaps more gladly than she ever was with him. Like a man intent on dying, he moved his bike even further until the man beside her came into view.

Fair Gundon - the man looked even better in person than in the old black and white picture. Worse, they undeniably look good together. He tried to picture himself as the man beside her, instead of Fair, and it did nothing but worsen his pain.

Michelle and Dao were right. What was I thinking? He admonished himself. How could he have entertained even for a single moment, even for a minute of a dream that a nerd like him and a perfect girl such as her could ever be together forever, more than friends, more than siblings, more than a man could ever ask for.

Dejectedly, he moved his bike back and stumbled against the gutter, already feeling what was left of his energy plummet away.

“James! James!”

He had the urge to run away before she caught up with him yet he didn’t have the strength. He shook his head at his childishness when he realized it was pointless to run away from her. He brought it upon himself to see her that day, to see her with him, and he knew he had to face the consequences.

He clutched the handles of his bike tightly, struggling for balance as Yaya finally reached his side.

“James! You made it after all,” she said with a smile.

He reached out and placed a hand behind his head in embarrassment, “But it seems that I’m quite late.”

Yaya’s expression suddenly turned serious, with creases on her forehead upon hearing his voice. “James, what happened?”

Before he could explain, Fair suddenly came into view and all James could do was gape at him.

Yaya turned around and faced Fair, gave him a smile once more and introduced him, “P’Fair, this is James, my best friend.”

The way she affectionately called him P’Fair was not missed by James. Moving out of his stupor, he bent his head and moved his hands to a solemn wai and said “Good afternoon, I am James Jirayu, pleased to meet you.”

Fair moved to return his wai and gave him a smile. “So, you’re the infamous Banana man.”

Yaya laughed and playfully tapped Fair’s arm and said, “No! He’s not a Banana Man, but he sings the Banana Song!”

James shyly grinned yet stayed quiet at their playful bantering nonetheless.

“Shall we go to dinner? Prof. Song said he’ll be treating us all to Pork Satay. You can leave your bikes here if you like and I can bring you guys there with my car.” Fair offered.

James recoiled and gripped his bike tightly once more as Yaya looked back to observe him.

“You… go ahead Yaya. I’ll just text Uncle Pat to pick me up here.” James smiled shakily, “If you like, I can bring home your bike for you so you wouldn’t have to go back.”

Hearing the hoarseness of his voice set the alarms back on Yaya’s head. With knotted eyebrows, she looked at him with concern and was about to reach out to him when he added, “I’m fine Yaya. Just go, Arch. Gundon is waiting.”

Yaya pursed her lips and turned around and casually placed a hand over Fair’s arm. James, for once, wished he had worse eyesight than he already had for him not to have seen it.

“P’Fair, I just remembered that I promised my mom that we’ll eat dinner at home tonight. Thanks for today; I had a lot of fun.” Yaya smiled brightly once more and Fair returned a smile that was just as bright.

“All right, you guys take care ok?” Fair grinned and started to walk away. He then stopped midway and looked back, “I had tons of fun too Nong Yaya! I’ll be looking forward to Monday!” With one final salute, he walked away.

Once he was out of sight, Yaya turned her full attention to James once more.

“James… are you okay?” She asked worriedly as she went beside him and reached up to feel his forehead.

He was still reeling from what happened so he almost lost his balance when he stepped back to avoid her hand. “He..hey. I’m really okay. Come on, let’s go, maybe we could catch up with them if we –”

“Tsk, No!” Yaya grumbled as she finally placed a firm hand on James’s forehead and placed her other hand over her own forehead. “You have a fever.”

He blinked once, twice, and suddenly had his breath caught in his chest when he realized how near she was. Suddenly feeling a bit light headed, he moved back and sat on the floor beside his bike.

“You stay here; I’ll go grab my bag.” Yaya ordered authoritatively as she ran off.

You’re hurting me more by being this way, James thought as he closed his eyes. Ever since they were children, she had been nothing but nice to him, he who was so weak and always bullied around. As the boy, he knew it was his job to protect her, to take care of her, yet it had always been the other way around ever since. Now that he saw her with another man, with a man more capable and more suitable for her, it only caused him nothing but pain to realize that she still chose to be with him, to care for him in his weakened state.

“Here,” she said as she placed one arm around his shoulders while she shoved a bottle of mineral water to his face.

He took a few gulps with his eyes still closed, feeling like he had no right to face her.

She took out a small pouch and reached out to his mouth to give him a tablet and he remained silent as she continued with her ministrations. “What happened to you James?”

Hearing the worry in her voice, he opened his eyes and struggled to smile. “I told you, it’s nothing.”

“Nothing? I could barely hear your voice. Did you shout all day or something?” she muttered as she idly rubbed his back.

“Sort of… It’s a long story.” James left it at that as he grinned in an effort to make her feel he was indeed okay. He felt her lean against him as she sat more comfortably beside him on the floor. “Since I can’t speak much, tell me about your day,” he whispered.

“Well…” Yaya stopped and grinned, hiding her face in that shy way of hers against his shoulder. “I think I am starting to like P’Fair,” she whispered, while looking all warm and fuzzy as she did so.

James gulped as she heard her words. Unable to speak, he merely nudged her, not sure if she would take that as a sign to continue or to stop hurting his feelings even further.

“The Professors love him. Dao and Michelle adore him. Let’s not even go to my classmates, ugh. They want him to teach an elective next semester.” Yaya went on. “Today we couldn’t get one of the machines to work. You know, the old table saw? Professor Song was shouting ‘go get Jirayu! Or any guy from the Mechanical Engineering department for that matter!” she laughed and tugged at his arm playfully, “but you know what, he just gave the old table saw a kick and boom! It started working like a charm. Apparently, it had been like that since back then when he was studying here.”

She continued to tell her story and he could plainly hear the excitement in her voice that he thought his suffering was not in vain. No. As long as she is happy.

“I finally had the angles of louvers and brise soleils figured out. Apparently, that is P’Fair’s specialization. Sunlight you know! Imagine that, I finally met another person who is into those things. He said we’ll study more about roofs on Monday, but only after we finalize the flooring of the Winter Chateau,”

Yaya stopped talking midway when she felt something heavy against her shoulder. She looked to her side and saw James leaning heavily against her, exhaustion completely taking him over. She moved slightly to her side and nudged him to lean closer against her and she didn’t even feel him protest. She figured that he probably fell asleep from the analgesic which she gave him and she carefully tucked in his head by her lap as she placed one arm over his torso and let her other hand reach out to brush the hair off his face.

The sun already set and darkness already crept inside the campus. The light post across where they were situated was too far to cast a light upon his face so she couldn’t see if his eyes were open or not. She moved her hand to wipe the thin line of sweat from his forehead, just under his bangs. He still felt warm to her touch and she was starting to worry even more about him. Not knowing what to do, she idly rubbed his arm in an effort to soothe him as she peered over his shoulder and tried to look at his face.

“James?” she asked, her soft voice laced with concern.

“I’m fine,” he whispered weakly, almost inaudibly as he reached out one hand and touched the hand she placed upon his arm to steady her. “Go on.”

“Hmmm?” Yaya asked as she leaned down her head against his shoulder to look at him closer.

Soon the moon came into their view and cast a gentle glow on the football field. She moved her gaze away from his face and stared at the moonlight.

His eyes fluttered open and saw the same sight, recalling a night not too long ago where she said that she was too afraid to fall in love and he vowed to be there for her so she need not be afraid.

He heard her gasp out loud then as she took in the sight of the moonlight, in the same way as he did. “You know, P’Fair was right… The moonlight, it’s romantic.”

How quickly the days passed and how quickly she changed her mind. They were together then, as they were now, yet when she changed her mind about love, she still managed to break his heart. He closed his eyes and blinked away the silent tears, trying to forget the stars in her eyes that night… yet just as quickly, he grasped her hand, trying to remember the stars in her eyes that night. He did not know how much more he needed to endure, but he said it, didn’t he? He gave her his solemn promise.

Even if you fall in love, I’ll support you. I’ll always be here for you so you don’t have to be afraid, ok?

He would be with her till the end. He had to. It was the least he could do for all the things that she did for him. It was the only thing he could do for her, as a man, whose heart she cared for all these years.

He knew what he had to do.

He had to kill his own heart so that hers could start to live.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Guys, SOS. After this I am seriously stuck. I was trying hard to think about it, I don't know what I should I do. I feel like the story lacks complications. I'm guessing I need a Rai for James, on the other hand, I figured, I probably need a crazy ex girlfriend of Fair's. I also wanted to bring in the MLD again. Or widen Noey and Pai's role. Or maybe turn Dao and/or Michelle evil. I don't know. I'm stuck. What do you guys think? How do you find the story so far? Suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you!

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Waahhhhh!!! You got me to tears. James is suffering so much to the point where i don't want him to suffer any longer. I did say torture him to the fullest for payback from NNS, but the two tortures are different. In NNS Poom was only teased by Neung, but she didn't think she liked him, so she did not suffer as much, but here James loves Yaya with all his heart. I'm so sad. waahhhh haah.  :cry: :cry1: :lmao: Everything is really good so far, I don't think you need to add anymore complications. Like how NNS wasn't a very dramatic complicated lakorn, but we all still loved it. :)

When Fair was telling the story of his crush, I had a feeling it was Noey. LOL. I love Noey's character so much, she has so much life in her and she is smart. :)

sarN

sarNie Granny
Oooo I love it , so lengthy, my heart does aches . I completely understand, girl, writer block can last for weeks or months lol but I hope it not the case ^^^^ b/c I invest so much in the fiction that you can't leave us hanging for long. I'm struggling how to end my fiction at the moment as well, just one more chapter but I'm stuck at that HAHAHA

Jellyfish

sarNie Hatchling
sorry im not very creative! Everything I do including my work are based on numbers and facts. I have to think about it long and hard and even then probably nothing original will come out.

sarN

sarNie Granny
It OK , most fiction here are base on lakorn , doesn't have to be original, I'm sure every plot out there is being made/written already , it the effort you put in is what matter ^^^ kept up the good work.

sarNie Adult
Chapter 5 – The Beating Heart

He stood in the middle of the playground, lost and confused, not really sure of what to do. Somehow he regretted the way he pleaded to Uncle Pat to let him go there, now that he was there, as he felt more alone. Sure, he was all by himself when he stared at the children in the playground from the safety of the window of their car’s back seat, but even now that he was in the middle of the playground and surrounded by other children, he still felt so isolated.

He walked tentatively towards a hazy object which he believed to be monkey bars. He saw those things in story books his mother bought from the States. He had never seen one up close before and he wondered if he could climb one of them. He was about to grab a step when he stumbled, failing to see an object hindering his path.

“Are you okay?”

He suddenly heard a girl’s voice as she stood up just when he managed to sit up from where he fell. She moved closer to him and grabbed his shoulders, helping him to stand. She dusted his shirt as well as his shorts and then asked him the same question once again.

“Are you okay?”

He squinted a bit as he tried to focus his eyes on her face. He saw that she had big brown eyes and puckered lips and her long hair softly framed her rosy cheeks.

All he could do was nod dumbly, as it was his first time to be spoken to by another child his age.

“I’m Yaya,” she said as she touched her hair idly, “What’s yer name?”

“James,” he said timidly as he straightened out his shirt.

Yaya pushed her hand against his face, as if to test him and to his surprise, he fell back again. “You don’t see so well huh?” She gasped as she reached out to help him stand again. “My daddy, you know, he has a thingamabob that he wears around here,” she said as she drew circles around his eyes. “Says it makes him see better.”

James nodded, not quite sure what she was talking about. They were silent for a bit until finally he said, “I want to go there.”

“There? In the swing?” Yaya asked incredulously. “But you can’t, you’re blind!”

James knotted his brows in frustration, thinking about the nursery rhyme about the three blind mice. He thought about Yaya’s words and took offense but said nothing.

“Nope, that won’t do.” She said bossily as she shook her head profusely.

Thinking he might get rejected again, just like how mommy and daddy always seemed to go away just when he was there to greet them, he took a tentative step back when suddenly… the girl named Yaya reached up to grab his hand.

“Come James, I’ll take you there.” She said as she pulled his hand even tighter. “We’ll go there together so you won’t fall on your face and eat sand.”

Confused, he took a few more tentative steps and let her lead the way.

“We’ll be like this from now on mm’k? I’ll be your friend and you be mine!” Yaya exclaimed as she continued to pull him with such force, he felt that he would still trip on his feet nonetheless.
Friends. That’s what she said. They were going to be friends.

For a boy of five years, he suddenly felt joy completely filling his heart for the first time in his life as she continued to hold on to his hand, not letting go.

He shifted on his bed and turned. It was only when he hit the snooze button on his phone that the buzzing sound ceased completely. He lay on his back idly as he stared at the ceiling, slowly letting his eyes adjust to the light of a new day.

He moved in his king-sized bed slowly, and it took him a while to tumble out of the covers. He reached for his glasses on the bed side table, and nearly toppled over the framed picture of him and Yaya back when they were in their first field trip together in elementary school. Nearly every corner of his room had a piece of her, from framed pictures they had growing up to random trinkets they picked up somewhere or some other gizmo she thought of giving him as a present. Even the picture that lay above the 40-inch television he rarely used was that of him with her and her family during their high school graduation. He and Yaya were in the middle of the picture, with their inner hands behind each other’s backs while their outer hands were raised up in the air with Grandma, Mom and Uncle Kitti smiling all around them, and it was Uncle Pat who snapped the photo.

He stumbled towards the bathroom where he quickly washed his face and brushed his teeth, then reached for the towel with his name embroidered on it – it was Yaya’s Grandma’s birthday gift to him from several years back. After a while he reached out in his closet for his favorite shirt – one that was handpicked by Uncle Kitti when they got their college shopping money.

His phone beeped once more, but this time, it was the sound of a message.

“Yaya: Don’t forget to drink medicine ok?”

James smiled subtly, feeling that his day would probably be not as bad as he thought it would be.

He got out of his room and took a few steps into the hall, where the ominous family portrait which his mother had commissioned two years ago hung from. He never looked so different in a picture as he did in that portrait, with his hair sleeked back as he wore a Valentino suit, sans a smile. He had his hand placed on the back rest of the chair where his mother sat, while she sat rigidly with her hair perfectly coiffed as she wore haute couture. His father stood not far behind, with his hands in his sides, displaying a suit he had custom made from Savile Row. The portrait cost as much as his college tuition fee and didn’t fail to express what his family life was truly like. Expensive. Cold. Distant.

It appears to be so perfect, so balanced – and yet it was lifeless. Empty.

He reached the dining area and sat on a corner of the long table, with the chair’s creaks echoing in the whole room as he pulled it from the table.

Uncle Pat soon came into view, his smile suddenly bringing life into his otherwise bleak house. The house helper soon followed suit behind Uncle Pat, bringing with her an ornate porcelain bowl.

“Yaya’s mom dropped by and sent some porridge for you,” Uncle Pat said with a grin as he leaned on the chair across where James sat. “We heated it up since she said you better eat a lot while it’s hot.”

James nodded as he smiled slightly, already smelling the aroma of Yaya’s mom’s home cooked meals. It was far simple compared to what their private chef could cook. Yet when Uncle Pat realized that he enjoyed eating at Yaya’s home than at his own house, he just opted to send the chef back to work at one of their hotels in the province.

James was just beginning to sip the broth when Uncle Pat suddenly said, “Your mom called. She’s worried about you.”

James sat back against the backrest of the chair and looked at Uncle Pat squarely. He bit his lip slightly and smiled a sad smile which matched his lonely eyes and said, “You have to try better than that, Uncle Pat.”

“No, really, your mom called,” Uncle Pat reiterated as he sat down in the chair across of him.

She knows my mobile number and she never sent me a call, a text, or an email, he thought as he stirred the porridge idly to let it cool down. “What did she say?” he asked before he took another spoonful to his lips.

“Well…She was wondering when your classes would end. She says she’s flying to Tokyo right after the stockholder’s meeting in England,” the older man said as he grinned, “She says she has one day free, you might want to see Disneyland.”

James breathed out an empty chuckle and said, “I would have, maybe ten years ago,” he murmured, “Please remind her, through her secretary of course, that I have fear of flying, and heights in general.”

James continued eating, so Uncle Pat tried once more, “Your dad called as well… He … well, he said he’s sending you a new car, an advance graduation gift.”

James stopped briefly to gently wipe his mouth with a table napkin. “That’s awfully nice of him, even though I don’t deserve it.” he mumbled, not forgetting the three luxury cars laying idly in their garage, not including the car Uncle Pat has been tinkering with for a while now.

Uncle Pat drummed his fingers on the table, afraid that the topic of his parents never really delighted his charge. “Well Yaya likewise dropped off her own ‘care package’ when she went with her mom to bring you the porridge.” He said as he got up and retrieved a brown paper bag from the side counter.

James took the bag gingerly and explored its contents. There were some analgesics, one big orange, strawberry pudding which they liked to eat when they were kids, and another banana with a red ribbon and a note attached to it.

He shook his head as he took out the banana and read what was written on the note.

“If you go to school today, I will kick you so hard you won’t be able to walk. Go rest and sleep. I’m sure the work room models would stay safe in a day or two.

Xoxo,
Yaya”

On the side there was a drawing of pulley and gears wearing banana skirts. James couldn’t help but grin, a real one this time, at her randomness.

“At last, a smile from my boy.” Uncle Pat laughed as he drummed his hand on the table once more, this time with a more lively tune. “You better finish up and go back to bed son. We’ll have you feeling better in no time.”

James nodded as he smiled inwardly, pushing his dire thoughts away momentarily. “Yes Uncle Pat. Thank you,” he said, though deep inside he was wishing, hoping that he would indeed feel better soon.

--------------------------------

Fair craned his neck as he looked at Yaya from the small window in his office. She worked right outside his work room and he could no longer count the times he wished for her to straighten out in her seat so he can get a full view of her face. She was so cute that Saturday when they worked casually in the campus, yet she was so pretty as she worked, with her eyes full of concentration, in the rigid confines of the office. He was caught off guard when she suddenly looked his way, and their eyes met. It was too late for him to look away now, so he merely smiled and widened his eyes, as if to ask how she was doing.

She shook her head and refocused her gaze on whatever she was drawing at her desk.

Seeing that it would be futile for him to go back to his work, he stood up and walked out of his office to be where she was. She gasped when she suddenly found him over her shoulder and looking at her sketch.

“Arch. Gundon, what can I do for you?” she asked as she looked up innocently at him.

“Nothing… just checking what you are doing,” he said as he tried to hide his grimace when he heard her refer to him as ‘Arch. Gundon’ again.

Yaya smiled and focused back on her work and said, “Since you’re here Arch. Gundon, I was wondering if the elevation of the staircase is correct at this level. I computed the angle, but there’s something that seems to be off about it.”

Fair leaned closer towards her desk until his necktie fell against Yaya’s shoulder. The action was not missed by his matronly secretary that he quickly heard her give him an admonishing cough. Fair regained his bearing and straightened out himself, subconsciously tucking his arm against his suit. “It’s the left balustrade. It is a bit short. You have to make an allowance for it when it twists towards the second landing,” he said, with an even tone as he threw a serious glance at his secretary. 

Yaya’s face brightened up and she smiled at him once more. “Thanks Arch. Gundon. I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.”

Fair then leaned back against Yaya’s table and turned away from his secretary’s scrutiny. “Say, Ms. Sperbund, it is five minutes till lunch time. What do you say we go head out before the elevator gets full?” 

At the mention of a full elevator, Yaya blushed slightly, remembering how they first met. She shook her head, trying to forget her embarrassing thoughts as she looked up innocently at Fair again. “I have packed lunch made by my mother today. If it’s okay with you, I could just eat it up at the rooftop, instead of going down at the canteen.”

“Oh…” Fair said, trying not to sound too disappointed…just when he wanted to eat lunch with her too.

Yaya grinned and suddenly blurted out, “Well, I’m sure you’d have company Arch. Gundon. Ms. Mary tells me that you always eat at a full table with the girls of the marketing department every lunch time.” She looked over her table and threw a smile at Fair’s secretary who merely nodded knowingly. “The original heartthrob’s charm hasn’t faded one bit, I see.”

Fair then grimaced and grumbled to himself, subtly showing his displeasure to Ms. Mary. “I just wanted to eat in peace, but somehow marketing always thinks of a new plot or scheme or some other thing that needs my output,” he muttered. He took one look at Yaya, found that she was teasing and he laughed himself. “Here, it’s all about work. I’m sure you have to fend off admirers who are lining up at your lunch table at the university.”

“No,” Yaya said mock indignantly, “Well… I usually eat with Michelle and Dao. You met them last Saturday. And of course, I hang out with my best friend, James,” she said. She pulled the small bag from under her table and remembered, “Actually, my mom made me bring the porridge left over from what she made for him. It’s actually enough to share for two. If you don’t mind….”

Fair knew opportunities when they presented themselves. “Oh, of course I do not mind. I’m actually honored. I still can’t forget the taste of your mom’s sandwich from last Saturday. What does she put in there? I’ve never had a clubhouse sandwich that tasted that good.”

Yaya grinned as she stood up from her seat, “My mom loves cooking, that’s all. That’s how she got through my dad’s passing. She just cooked and cooked all the time.”

Before Fair could ask anything more, Yaya walked over to Ms. Mary and offered to give her some porridge as well, but knowing how much her boss did not want her to interfere, she just kindly declined Yaya’s offer and said she had a lunch date with her friends at the canteen.

At that, Yaya and Fair went up the fire exit and up the rooftop. Fair of course walked ahead of her and opened doors for her, as always, and the action was not missed by Yaya. They then settled at one of the benches by the railings and she carefully placed down her lunch bag.

“I’m very sorry to hear about your dad’s passing,” Fair said solemnly as he looked at her.

“It happened a long time ago,” Yaya said as she shook her head and proceeded to serve the porridge.

Fair idly tapped his hands on his hip as he tried to shift the conversation to a more positive topic. “Do you cook?”

“I do,” Yaya whispered, as though she were afraid of getting caught telling a lie, “Sometimes,” she added as a little squeak.

Fair grinned and said, “It’s true you know, how a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.” He said as he nodded knowingly. “But as architects, we know there are many other ways to make an entry. I guess food just serves as the main door.”

They looked at each other and laughed.

“You know, James said before that once I learn how to cook, I’ll be ready to get married,” Yaya said in between chuckles, “you men and your stomachs!”

Fair smiled, a bright smile which shows his dimples and replied, “Well he’s right you know. If a beautiful and brilliant lady like you knew how to cook then there’s nothing more a man could ever ask for.”

His offhanded comment did nothing but deepen the blush in Yaya’s cheek. Yaya just prayed that it was bright enough in the rooftop for him not to see it. Trying to regain her composure, she straightened out and asked, “That girl you liked in college - was she a good cook?”

It was Fair’s turn to be caught off-guard. He nearly choked on the porridge when she asked the question, yet he grinned nonetheless. “Well… I don’t know. She doesn’t seem the type since…well… she’s one of those, how do you call them?” Fair looked up contemplatively as he searched for the word, “an Uptown Girl.”

Yaya laughed at the term he used, thinking it was probably something her mom would say. “Like an ‘It Girl’?”

“Yeah,” he shook his head, “is that what you young people call them these days?” Fair joked.

It was her turn to look contemplative. So he liked those kinds of girls, she thought. “Well, you would have suited each other - an Uptown Girl and the Original Heartthrob.”

Fair chuckled as she said the words, “Well… you know back then I didn’t look so … well…formal,” he said as he consciously tugged on the tight collar of his polo shirt. “I was a jeans and t-shirt type of guy. Besides, I come from a simple family with humble origins back in the province.”

“Really?” Yaya asked, “If I hadn’t known, I would’ve thought you were a Khun Chai.”

Fair laughed quietly and shook his head, “You’re taking a liking to teasing me,” he said.

No, I’m taking a liking to you, Yaya thought as her ears felt like burning. “No really, I’m not teasing.”

“Well…some things learned are hard to forget, I guess,” he said. “You know… oh… should I even say it…?”

Yaya focused her full attention on him then, not letting him change his mind in divulging whatever it was he was going to say.

“I told you that the girl I liked, she hated me right?” he said, looking uncharacteristically embarrassed by his confession. “Well, I had this crazy idea that I might probably change her mind if I asked her out on a date.” He stopped as he stared ahead with an expression that was half a smile and half a grimace. “But since she was a, you know, an Uptown Girl, I can’t exactly ask her to go watch a movie or just hang out.”

“What did you do?” Yaya asked curiously, as she had to put down her bowl to look at him.

“Well… first I had to at least appear to be a proper gentleman so… I….” Fair looked at Yaya and saw her looking at him, not batting an eyelash as she did so. He then straightened up and laughed, then finally said “I’ll tell you the secret some other time.”

“What?!” Yaya exclaimed as she raised her hands in the air, “I don’t believe this!”

Fair merely laughed heartily until he had to touch his stomach to catch his breath.

Yaya laughed as well until finally they calmed down and looked at each other once more.

“I guess I’m just looking for an excuse to talk to you again this way, Ms. Sperbund,” Fair smiled as he gave her that look that made her heart flutter, “Please forgive me.”

“You don’t look sorry,” Yaya shot him a look as well which just made Fair think he probably would not be able to concentrate on his work that afternoon after all. “I’ll have the full story, someday,” she said determinedly.

How could a man, any man, resist such a captivating woman as you? He thought, as he shook his head. “I’ve no doubt you will, Ms. Sperbund,” he said as he stood up from his seat and stretched. “Or perhaps we could write our own story too.”

Yaya was glad his back was facing her as she nearly lost her bearing from what he said.

Fair put one hand in his pants pocket and then looked back at her with his mesmerizing eyes. “You know… At first I was thinking, hoping, that your internship would take longer than 240 hours.”

Yaya stood up from her seat and placed her hands against her chest as she eagerly waited for his next words.

He looked down and kicked his foot idly against the concrete floor of the rooftop as though he seemed embarrassed. “Less than 34 hours through your internship, I started thinking otherwise.”

Fair then turned and faced her, with one hand still in his pocket. He turned his head slightly, smiled then brushed his free hand against his hair, looking so suave and yet somehow shy, “How I wish your 240 hours would end soon  – so I can stop calling you Ms. Sperbund, and you would stop calling me Arch. Gundon.”

Yaya gasped at his words, unsure of what exactly he was telling her.

He then walked towards her, leaned slightly and whispered. “Maybe when your 240 hours are over, I’ll tell you about the girl that I like now.”

Yaya felt her heart pounding in her chest as she was unable to look up to meet his gaze.

“Ah… well…” Fair leaned back and straightened his tie, pleased to see the beaming blush in her cheeks which just made her look like a blossom in his eyes. “Thanks for lunch Ms. Sperbund, beats marketing meetings at the canteen any time.”

“You’re welcome, Arch. Gundon,” Yaya whispered, unable to trust her own voice.

-----------------------------

James adjusted his glasses to see the thermometer reading more clearly as he stayed on his bed. He had been staying in his room idly, doing so many useless things to pass the time and keep himself from sulking, all day.  He was about to turn off the lights when he suddenly heard his phone ring.

“Hello?” he said, surprised to hear his own hoarse voice.

“James? You still sound horrible!” He heard Yaya gasp at the other end of the line and he suddenly coughed to clear his throat. “James? Are you still sick?”

“No,” he said, his voice clearer this time, “Just had no one to talk to all day, that’s all.”

Yaya whimpered sympathetically, “Muuu James, I should have passed by your house, to check how you were doing after all,” she said “What’s your temperature?”

“37.3. Don’t worry about me Yaya, I’m fine now,” he grinned just to prove his point. “What’s up?”

“Nothing,” she said, but he was sure that it was something whenever she said nothing. “Today I saw a flyer at CCV, Mr. Chesney is opening a new firm, it seems,” she said, her voice suddenly having an excited lilt. “It’s going to be a manufacturing firm. They want to discover new tools that may be used in construction sites so they wouldn’t have to import.”

“Oh…” James said, feigning interest as he stifled a yawn. “That’s cool.”

“Oy James! Aren’t you listening,” Yaya grumbled, “They’ll be needing engineers - Like you!”

“Hmm?”

“James, well… I entered your resume ok? I was hoping we could work there together!” Yaya suddenly blurted out and he could imagine the mischievous smile in her eyes. James turned in his bed and buried his face on one of the pillows

“Yaaaaa, you shouldn’t have,” he whined as he remembered the way Fair Gundon looked beside her that afternoon at the university.

“But Jaaaaaames,” Yaya whined as well, “Wouldn’t you want to be with me?”

Of course I want to be with you. Always.

“It’ll be a blast. Trust me,” she said.

He could not deny her anything, and so half reluctantly, he sighed and said, “Well, it’s worth giving a shot.”

“I knew you’d say that!” Yaya said and he heard her clap her hands.

A few seconds later, the line stayed silent so James had to say “Hello? You still there?”

“Mmmm… James….”

That was it, James felt his heart stop at his chest. He knew something was up whenever Yaya used that tone to call his name.

“What is it? Hmm? Go on,” he said in that soft tone of his, though deep inside he already dreaded what came next.
“Today….I… well…” Yaya stopped and took in deep breaths. “P’Fair… mmm…I mean, Architect Gundon… He… He called me a beautiful and brilliant lady,” she then placed her hand against her lips to stifle a giggle.

James breathed out and gave a bittersweet smile which he was glad she cannot see. “Well, you are, aren’t you?” How many times had he told her the same words, perhaps not as eloquently, but still quite truthfully?

“You aren’t making it any better James!” she grumbled, and he felt a bit hurt by how his compliments meant so little to her.

“Well, let’s just say he’s not the first guy to notice that about you,” he said finally.

“Muu… But somehow… it made my heart beat faster… you know? I … I can’t quite explain it.” She whispered, her voice slightly muffled by the pillow that she was hugging against her chest. “He thinks I’m pretty,” she half squealed.

“He’d be a fool if he doesn’t notice that, silly.” James said as he touched his chest, suddenly feeling a dull ache.

“James… Do you think that he…That he likes me?”

How was he to answer her? Whether he says yes or no, someone was bound to be disheartened. Better he than she.

“I dunno… What else did he say?” he asked, hoping to buy time.

“Well, he said that he wished my internship were over so I’d stop calling him ‘Arch. Gundon’, do you think he means… he wants to be P’Fair….” Yaya trailed off only to groan and say, “James, how do I know if I guy likes me or not?”

Had his heart not hurt so much, he would have laughed at the irony of the situation. “Well, I haven’t met a guy who doesn’t like you Yaya, so it wouldn’t be impossible that he too likes you,” he said.

“But what do I do now?” she asked, pleading for an answer. “I’ve never felt this way before.”

James clutched at his chest, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “What matters more is how you feel Ya, Do you like him?”

There was silence between them and all they could hear was their breathing. That was until Yaya finally blurted out.

“Yes. I think I do.”

James bit his lip and placed the back of his hand against his eyes in a futile effort to stop his damned tears from falling.

“James?”

He opened his mouth, hoping to breathe, hoping Yaya would hear it as a laugh instead.

“James,” she whined. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Are you smiling right now?” he asked, as he tried to envision her smile, that new smile of hers which he had seen her give Fair.

Yaya chuckled and pressed her face against her pillow as she smiled, just as James had predicted, “James! You’re making me feel embarrassed!”

There was a certain lightness in her voice that his doubts have all but faded. He quickly wiped his tears and smiled himself, hoping she wouldn’t hear a tinge of his sadness in his voice, hoping a smile could make his voice lighten up, even just a little. “How does it go…? Fair and Yaya sitting on a tree…K-I-”

“JAMES!” Yaya grumbled as she rolled in her bed, squealing nonetheless. “I’m gonna kill you!” she threatened, with laughter in her voice.

You just did, just now when you broke my heart.

“What’s your plan now?” James asked, sobering down yet trying hard to keep his voice even.

“I dunno… James. James I need you. Don’t leave me okay? I don’t know what to do. I just might make a fool out of myself.”

Not a bigger fool than I, he thought, as he replied, “You’ll be fine, Yaya.”

“You think so?” she asked then she finally chuckled and said, “Thanks James, I really don’t know what I’ll do without you. Thanks for always being there for me. I love you, you know?”

I love you too. More than you’ll ever know. “Gah. Yaya. You’re going to give me cooties.”

“Bleah!” Yaya replied and then giggled. “Good night James. Take a good rest ok?”

“Good night,” he whispered, then heard her put down the phone.

He turned off the lights and listened in the silence of his room, surprised that he still heard the beating of his heart. 

---------------------------------

Notes: It took me a while to churn this out. I was trying so hard the whole weekend. Somehow I've had the backbone of the succeeding chapters planned out somewhere.  :scratchhead2:  :lolyup: . Next chapter would be lighter, with the MLD making a comeback. We can't have James crying all the time, now can we? (well actually, the sadist in me is starting to enjoy it.) Hope you guys could tell me how you find it so far. Or if you have any suggestions on the MLD cast. So far I have Tor Thanapob, and Boy Pakorn's younger brother, Nong Thana.  :bhehe: I wanna cast Punch's younger brother in Ruk Sutrit, but he might be too young, but that kid cracks me up. Thanks again for reading and continuing to fangirl Jirassaya with me. 

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Waahhhh. You did it again. I admit to being a crybaby. :lmao: I love everything so far. And I swear I'll be crying in every chapter for sure.
I'm really loving how Fair describes his past crush. As of the MLD, I'm thinking maybe:
Joker Paphan (Bomb's younger brother)

and Gap Jakarin (p'eks little brother from Mor Pee Cyber)

sarN

sarNie Granny
Wonderful ch !! I love how lengthy & well explain each ch is !! Update soon ok, as for casting , idk much about the newbies today to even recommend one lol

sarNie Adult
Thank you for your comments Sarn and Bieluvr! it's always such a great honor to know you've been reading my work. 

Nong! Thank you for the suggestions. Oh wow. Bomb's brother doesn't look much like him. Gap! Oh! I've seen him in one of those Papaparty videos. There was this video of him, nadech and James Ji in a battle. I didn't understand a thing he said, but I found it funny nonetheless. I guess it was his delivery of the lines.  :lol: