Curtains of Heaven

elegantnas21

sarNie Hatchling
Wow really love the story story so far!! The feels of BR I'm blushing over the interactions between Win and Duen Cant wait for the interactions of PRAHET❤

Your writing is brilliant. Please update na ka

elegantnas21

sarNie Hatchling
Wow love the story so far...giving the BR feels Aww the interaction between Duen and Win is so cute Cant wait for the interactions of PRAHET

Your writing is brilliant Please update na ka.

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 7

“It’s nice to have young voices in the house again.” Grandma loosened a pin from her hair, readying herself for bed. “I still find it a shame though, that Karn and nu Pheung’s union has been stalled.”

“They’ll keep young for a while,” Grandpa replied, settling into the bed next to his wife.

“You speak like they’re fruit preserving on shelves.”

He stroked her hair, gray after fifty years together. He smiled. “They’ve other things to preserve. Their father’s reputation for one.”

“Their father’s reputation has not shattered. You’re letting your temper work you up.”

“I thought you had tamed my temper,” he laughed softly. “No, I’m not worked up.”

“Then why did you invite the young man here? Shouldn’t you have asked him to keep his distance if you are so concerned for reputation?”

“And bait the headlines further? That we have an affair to hide in our family’s closet? I’m merely letting events run their course.”

Grandma knew her husband to be mischievous in their youth, though as he said, she’d tamed that for the most part. He couldn’t help it if he cared too much for his grandchildren not to interfere. She sighed in his arms, wrapped warm around her.

Win stood in front of the bathroom mirror. He set his toothbrush down, vividly recalling the boat ride with Deun. He ran his teeth across his bottom lip, where her fingertips had brushed it like tiny flames. He was suddenly aware of a desire to inhale her scent again. He had found her adorable during dinner. The way she had exclaimed over every flavor, had fed her grandparents, the way she’d spooned food onto her family’s plates.
He could already see Pheung’s knowing smile. Win shook his head and started brushing his teeth furiously.

------

“Deun left early?” Karn asked at the breakfast table.

“I don’t know why she’s in such a hurry. The school isn’t going anywhere.” Grandma urged them all to eat more.

Pheung said, “She told me she starts tutor sessions next week. She must really like being at the school.”

“The kids who are familiar with her love her a lot,” Grandma said.

“Let’s go visit too then.” Pheung nudged Win. “What do you say?”

“Sure.”

She smirked at his nonchalant tone.

“There she is.” Win gravitated towards the group of young students surrounding a bench with Deun at the head of the table. Pheung and Karn followed him.

“Jump!”

“K is for?”

“King!”

“L is for?”

“Love!”

Deun’s eyes found Win’s. The students followed her gaze, chatter erupting in her midst.

“We’re sorry to interrupt your lesson,” Karn said.

“Students, hurry inside. Lessons begin soon,” Deun said. There was a flurry of book bags being gathered, hugs and kisses shuffled at Deun. Karn was the last to fold her in his arms.

“Do you detest our presence that much that you rushed off before breakfast?” He teased. Deun had always been the natural morning bird between the two of them while he’d had to discipline himself.

“Yeah, I’m very sorry to have been tracked down so easily.” She took Pheung’s hand and led them through the small campus.

Win smiled, feeling himself expand from the energy she transferred to all around her. Deun glowed in the late morning light, or it might have been the way she described every corner of the campus with a story of one student or another.

“It’s too bad we’ll leave so soon. I’d like to talk to the headmistress about a new education program we’re planning at the embassy.”

“Then you’ll have to come again!” Deun said to Pheung. “And I’ll speak to Grandpa. He’s the sole benefactor of the school but with more funds, we could expand and give the kids so much more.”

Pheung promised to return.

The next day, Pheung left for Bangkok first.

Deun squeezed in another hug before letting Karn step in to bid Pheung good bye. As the two started speaking, Deun felt the urge to give them privacy.

“Come,” she whispered to Win. His eyes blinked questions at her but she wanted to leave conspicuously, so she grabbed his hand and they both started backing away.

“When you return, we’ll get things fixed for the engagement.”

Pheung nodded. “Thank you for the beautiful stay. I’m going to miss you.” Their friendship, slow to blossom under the pressure from everyone else to be more, had eventually solidified. She leaned upwards to kiss his cheek, just missing the corner of his mouth.

From where they had stopped, Deun peeked around the corner of the house. She clasped her hands with glee at the display of affection.

“Deun?” When she motioned for him to wait, Win stuck his head out, seeking the source of her smile. All he saw was Pheung and Karn. Realizing how Deun’s imagination must have excited her, he laughed softly.

She looked at him. “Are you laughing at me?”

He stuttered. “Well, yeah, but” She passed around him and strolled inside. “Deun!” Win came to an abrupt stop, trying not to run into her.

Teasing, she looked him in the eye. “Watch yourself, Win. Pheung’s not around anymore, so you’ll be at my mercy.”

A sweet mercy, he believed. “I’ll behave.” He committed to memory the smile she flashed him.

------

Without the hospitality of Grandpa and Grandma thrusted upon him, Win would have left with Pheung. He wasn’t used to entertaining others. While Karn was one of his best friends, Win couldn’t shake it out of himself that he was supposed to be doing something for his friend’s grandfather to make up for the previous unfortunate events he’d caused. Yet Win was sure Grandpa might even like him. No one in the house addressed him with fault, save perhaps Deun. At times, they spoke with a lightness that made his breath stutter, but then she would catch herself, as if restraining a restless bird inside her. She would look away, or subtly let Karn lead the conversation until she could excuse herself. And then he wouldn’t see her for hours.

She sat at the end of wooden steps descending into the river, her legs dangling in the water. An open book perched on her lap. Win had just returned from fishing with Karn and Grandpa.

“Deun.”

She looked up. He approached and held out a single lotus for her.

She closed her book, set it aside. “Thank you, Win.” She accepted it, twirling it in her fingers. “Did the fish bite much today?”

“It was a bountiful harvest.” He sat himself next to her, dragging his pantlegs up before dipping his feet into the water. “Deun.” She turned her eyes on him, wide, kind. “I hope there are no hard feelings between us.”

“Have I done something to suggest there are?”

“No. You and your family have been perfectly gracious.” Like a dream, he thought, just as he dreamed of his parents who’ve gone. Or that mirage of a woman who looked like Deun. He hadn’t had another crazy vision since leaving the hospital.

She smiled. “If you’re feeling guilty, you can repent by taking care of yourself and watching your health.” She laughed at the exasperation she already knew he’d look at her with. “I’m only saying this because you’re my friend.”

Win wasn’t sure how to express his gratitude at being acknowledged as Deun’s friend. “I promise.”

------ A/N
Fluff.
Thanks for reading,

jjinxx