mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
Man arrested after beating Hmong man over dog
Picture
By Staff Reports
Published: 3/11/2011 2:29 AM
Last Modified: 3/11/2011 6:08 AM

Man is arrested in beating of Hmong man over dog
VINITA - A Vinita man was arrested Thursday on allegations that he severely beat another man who had run over his dog.

Scott Osborn, 29, was booked into the Craig County Jail on one complaint of aggravated assault and battery for allegedly beating Neng Yang

Yang's injuries were so severe that he had to undergo facial reconstruction surgery to repair shattered bones, said Yang's daughter, Pashia Yang.

A deputy's report indicates that Neng Yang swerved to miss other dogs in the roadway in front of Osborn's home and that his vehicle went into the Osborns' yard and struck his dog, said Craig County Sheriff Jimmie Sooter.

The report indicates that Osborn thought he was in danger of being attacked and that Yang recalled only one blow, Sooter said.

The last thing Pashia Yang said her father remembered was Osborn yelling at him and hitting him in the head.

Osborn told the Tulsa World on Monday that he confronted Neng Yang to get insurance information to pay for the dog but that Yang put his hands up as if he was going to hit him.

"When I hit him, he went flying and hit the door and hit the ground," he said.

Osborn said he's sorry for the assault but thought he was acting in self-defense.

"I feel sorry for the guy and the family," he said. "It wasn't intentionally done for that much damage, but it was done to defend myself."
The National Farmers Union (NFU) and Hmong farmers
Picture
Courtesy of Richard Oswald

By the Daily Yonder
March 15, 2011

The contract chicken-raising industry is attracting immigrant farmers.

Monica Potts reports in The American Prospect that in the "early 2000s, chicken producers such as Tyson, which is based in northwest Arkansas, began courting the Hmong, and advertisements about chicken-farming opportunities appeared in Hmong-language newspapers." Now roughly 500 Hmong live in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma working under the same contract growing arrangements once offered to native born farmers.

Potts tells the inevitable end of the story — that the contracts make immigrant farmers, like their native neighbors, "21st-century sharecroppers for companies like Tyson."

Potts writes about the pending GIPSA regulations, noting that the rules propose to give growers more power in their business relationship with the large integrators. "The Republican-led House of Representatives could decide to modify the farm bill to take away the USDA's power to make these changes," Potts reports.

• Richard Oswald reports from the annual meeting of the National Farmers Union:

San Antonio Texas may never be the same. That’s because this year’s National Farmers Union Convention is being held there at the Marriott Riverwalk Convention Center. Anyone who’s ever attended an NFU convention will agree that whatever Farmer’s Union members lack in discipline is more than made up for with enthusiasm.

We aren’t the average, run-of-the-mill agricultural producer group.

For one thing, a NFU silent auction fundraiser will raise money for the NFU Foundation from items donated by state affiliates and their members. Among those items are framed pictures, regional wines, jewelry, tooled leather handbags, and a well-patched pair of Illinois farmer Larry Loeb’s bib overalls.

Like I said, we aren’t your typical farm club. On the other hand we think Larry’s overalls prove we’re a pretty good representation of who’s out there doing the work in farm country.

The convention began officially on Sunday night with a banquet honoring NFU Meritorious Service Award winner, Texas Farmers Union President Wes Sims. Wes has been TFU president since 1996.

Wes’s soft-spoken demeanor is no measure of the dedication he’s shown to Farmers Union and American agriculture. NFU President Roger Johnson covered that in his tribute to Wes when he said, “There’s just no one who better represents family farmers….”

Earlier in the evening, in his address to a farmer crowd that filled the Marriott banquet hall, Johnson pointed out that subsidies for oil production are about 30 times those offered for renewable fuels. At the same time, American consumers still spend less than 10% of their disposable income on food while America buys less imported oil thanks to biofuels.

Roger called for Congress to pass a new farm bill without delay, and said that a financial safety net for agricultural producers should be at the top of their list.

Meetings the next two days will consist of panel discussions on the farm bill, biotechnology in the 21st century, and U.S. trade relationships. Speakers include Senator Byron Dorgan, former Texas Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower, and USDA Undersecretary for Rural Development Dallas Tonsager.

Of course the biggest question on everyone’s mind won’t be answered until Tuesday; that’s when we’ll know for sure who got Larry’s overalls.

• Yonder readers might want to check out Carolina Public Press, which says it will provide "in-depth, investigative, independent reporting for Western North Carolina." You can get to it here.

The first group of stories is about resources and insurance coverage for families living with autism.

• Heather Courtney's movie Where Soldiers Come From will premier this week at the South By Southwest film festival in Austin. Courtney is from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She followed a group of kids as they graduated from high school and found their way into the military and then to Iraq.

A disproportionate number of our soldiers come from small towns. That's the story Heather's film tells. To see times for showing, go here.
Hmong father brutally beaten for running over dog
Picture
Courtesy of Tulsaworld.com

By JARREL WADE, World staff writer
Published: 3/6/2011 3:16 PM
Last Modified: 3/6/2011 3:18 PM
Tulsa World

A man received a brutal beating that left him in the hospital with shattered bones after he accidentally ran over a dog in Vinita, his family members said.

Neng Yang was driving to a family farm when he ran over a dog and was confronted by the owner.

The last thing he remembered was the owner yelling at him and then hitting him once in the head, said Yang's daughter Pashia Yang.

Yang is currently in the hospital since the beating on Tuesday and was only able to communicate well about the incident on Thursday, she said.

After blacking out, Yang told his daughter that he remembered coming to covered in blood and with his hands behind his head.

The man who allegedly beat him then forced Yang to shake his hand, let him leave and told him not to do anything stupid, Yang's daughter said.

His injuries resulted in a dislocated jaw, a shattered nose, broken ribs and severe damage to a cheek, his daughter said.

Stephen Vang, public relations liaison for Hmong American Association of Oklahoma, said he thought the beating approached a hate crime because of the severity of the attack on Yang, who is Hmong.

Vang said although there weren't obvious signs indicative of a hate crime, if Yang wasn't Hmong, he wouldn't have been subjected to that much brutality.

"They treated this guy like he had less worth than a dog," Vang said.

Craig County Sheriff's Department Undersheriff B.J. Floyd confirmed officers were investigating the incident but would not comment until
the investigation was complete.

Floyd indicated that assault charges were possible but could not speculate until the investigation was handed over to the Craig County District Attorney's Office.

The Yang family and Vang are strongly seeking justice and are urging authorities to arrest the attacker as soon as possible.

This crime was inhumane and unacceptable, Pashia Yang said.

"My family and I have high hopes that although this attacker is not in custody, the Craig County Sheriff's Department and (District Attorney's) office will seek justice for my father."

Officials familiar with the investigation urged that the case was being treated like any other case and will be processed as soon as possible.

* credit to :youtube.com and http://www.hmongcoloradoradio.org/

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
MY MOM TOLD ME ABOUT THIS NEWS WHICH IS SPREADING THROUGHOUT THE U.S.
OMFG NOTHING PISS ME OFF MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW! I WANT TO NOE WHAT IS UP WITH AMERICANS! F*CK. :gungirl:
THIS VIDEO IS SO SAD I CRIED, I CANNOT EVEN IMAGING THESE STUFF WOULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE N ESPECIALLY TO THE HMONG COMMUNITY.
:angry:
AWH...I NEED MORE MAD FACE EXPRESSION!!!!!!

edit:
if you can continue to watch these interview/news in youtube. i think is so sad how the daughter says: "if the table could turn n my dad was the one who hit the man, my dad would have been arrested already"
:teary:
the dad is so cute.. and that f*en white man said the hmong guy was going to beat him, thats y he use self defense. OMFG self defense my ass. the hmong dad is like what 4'0, 5'o n the white man was 230 ibs n 6'1" tall, how can the hmong man even try to hit him. omg omg. i'm so mad right now. gotta go change my face expression. :whip:

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
This is sad....he "Could be charge for reckless driving?"
Shouldn't Dogs have leashes on too? Who's repsonsiblity is it to look after their dog? Damn these people.

Why self defense and what would a old man try to do to you? Jeesh...maybe he just wanted to get back at the dad. Who knows...

adoraxFTW

sarNie Hatchling
I totally agree with the daughter!
If it were the Hmong guy who had beaten up the white guy, they would've arrested him in an instant! No hesitation whatsoever!
And they're saying the Hmong guy might be getting arrested for "reckless" driving too?! That's just some fucked up shit. :rant:

ayang874

sarNie Hatchling
The white guy was arrested, anyone have an update on this story since the arrest? Hoping the Hmong family will sue for every penny the redneck is worth. :scratchchin:

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
i think i heard my mom telling me bout this story a while back..

but anyways this is messed up. i have dogs, which i love deeply.. and i'll even freaken cry over them and go after the person who ran them over but ask for compensation because they just killed family.. but i would never beat someone up. :facepalm:

that guy didn't need to beat him up at all. firstly, he ran over the dog, he knew and even confronted them.. this isn't a hit and run situation.

@p. Zoua, dogs don't need to be on leashes if they're on their owner's property. the hmong guy was on their property, so it was his fault too.

just what is the world coming to? >_<

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
well the article said man arrested after beating Hmong man over dog but actually if u watch the news, the man didn't get arrested, n whats worst was he was an ex-cop so of course white people's gonna dump this case, HOPEFULLY a SMART judge will take care n finish off this case!

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ well if he's an ex-cop.. he should've known better not to act that way.. hope they don't let this case go down the drain freely.. :thumbdown:

cecilia

Staff member
I told my parent that i hope the Yang family take this to the extreme -- be it if mr. Yang has to be pay some price.
Make those white ppl see what JUSTICE is all about.

I understand he's an ex cop but as a public worker to the community, he should know better and not act without reasons like this.
How can a small man hover over a big guy like him? How can a hit on the head made him had so many damages -- the story doesn't click at all ..

if this were to happen to my dad, I would make this man's family feel miserable, see the pain my family have to go through --- i feel there are so many ways to get back at injustice ppl and i hope that the YANG family finds one soon to put him down for the crime he had committed!