Submitting Storylines to Hmong Productions

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Hmong people really aren't' about collaborating on ideas. As you watch the credits on each movie the storyline they're usually written by the producer/director, I don't know if they're just cheap or they think our ideas aren't good enough. I seen many of you post ideas here, they're better storyline than the movies out there, but I don't believe I've seen it taken into consideration at all.

So I was wondering with the little feedback of directors/producers, would you be willing to pitch in ideas, or would it just be a waste of energy?

I have a story that I will soon post in Fan Fiction Section. I'll try to base it around what Hmong Production can provide and what not. Scenery and props, I wish they could at least make their movies classy w/o being too cheesy.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
I have never try submitting my stories to Hmong producer/directors, i don't think they will take a look at it or even read the first line. haha so i think it's a waste of time. however, i see many ideas and better story-lines online too. hopefully producer/directors will take people's idea into consideration, someday. :)

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I have never try submitting my stories to Hmong producer/directors, i don't think they will take a look at it or even read the first line. haha so i think it's a waste of time. however, i see many ideas and better story-lines online too. hopefully producer/directors will take people's idea into consideration, someday. :)
I agree with that. It makes me reluctant to even attempt. Sometimes people are too ignorant to accept help. I want them to consider mines though I doubt I get any feedback.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
yeah true. by the way, if they do like your idea. it might be hard for both of you to meet up and talk about the storyline and put it together as a piece. depends where both lives too. because it's hard to put something together if one lives 10,000 miles away. But hey, submit your story and see what happens. :) hehe

If your story gets chosen. You, as the writer have to be there, for all scenes because your the writer, which means, you see the bigger picture compare to anybody. :)

pink_juliet_kashie

sarNie Oldmaid
There's one thing about the older hmong generation, when they do business they like to keep it within the "family," so when it comes to story line, make-up, its a relative and family member. So Nancy like you say some of the producers might not want help or think they don't need help, but I say go for it, i'll support you ehehehe, did you have any one in mind in particular, like muas lis or someoone? Don't let this discourage you, but I'm afraid you might submit something in and the producer will turn you down, but in turn use that storyline and credit him or herself...that would suck lol...but try it out, I was wondering if and how i could submit some storyline to THAI producers...lol since most lakorns now a days are all remakes..

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
yeah true. by the way, if they do like your idea. it might be hard for both of you to meet up and talk about the storyline and put it together as a piece. depends where both lives too. because it's hard to put something together if one lives 10,000 miles away. But hey, submit your story and see what happens. :) hehe

If your story gets chosen. You, as the writer have to be there, for all scenes because your the writer, which means, you see the bigger picture compare to anybody. :)
I'm sure we're in the same city. Since here they have a theater for Hmong movies, I'll be here for awhile so we should be able to meet up somehow. It's true though we have to interact face to face. And I don't think the writter nessarily needs to be there when they film but it would be nice.

There's one thing about the older hmong generation, when they do business they like to keep it within the "family," so when it comes to story line, make-up, its a relative and family member. So Nancy like you say some of the producers might not want help or think they don't need help, but I say go for it, i'll support you ehehehe, did you have any one in mind in particular, like muas lis or someoone? Don't let this discourage you, but I'm afraid you might submit something in and the producer will turn you down, but in turn use that storyline and credit him or herself...that would suck lol...but try it out, I was wondering if and how i could submit some storyline to THAI producers...lol since most lakorns now a days are all remakes..
You are right Older Hmong Generation usually look for ideas around family members/relatives. I think it's hard for me, I don't believe I have any connection, well I probably do have a relative that does movies, which I'm not aware of. lol. You know how Hmong people are we're all related some how. Long long lost uncle or cousin. Just kidding though, I don't believe so.

I do have a couple of productions in mind. I have view their projects before and the storyline is way way different from what they had done before. I have to consider if they have the props for it too.

I also have my main heroin/na'ek in mind, it'll be a challenge for her, but I think she can pull it off, Paj Zaub Vwj (from Ntsa Iab "Lus Cog Cia"). About the hero/pra'ek, he's going to be mean, I'm consider...Txhaj Hawj (from Modern Jungle's movie "Hlub Tshaj Txoj Sia"), even though he doesn't have the height that I want. I'll probably be too picky as well to say work out a little bit because there's going to be a little skin showing and please no farmer's tan.

I'll probably just be posting two chapters or so. And you gals/guys can view it. You can be my witness if the story is ever stolen or falsely credited.

Store: Lub Hmo Hli Nra - The Night's Moonlight (Light ray)

As for Thai producers, a friend of mines submit to Polyplus forum and they did use it for a drama but they changed a few things around, don't think she was credited. You can't contact the producers directly so everything has to go through the production that makes it like Exact, Polyplus, MediatoMedia, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Out of topic:

I'm also working on video editing but like everything these days you'll need a degree at it to make people want to hire you. If you want to see them you can click on Tik and Kob's banner to see the teasers and MV I've done of them as well as Pong and Kob.

I was trying to find videos online of Paj Zauj Vwm but I can't find her movies, I know they've been uploaded but I can't seem to find them. I wanted to do a teaser for my fanfic.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm sure we're in the same city. Since here they have a theater for Hmong movies, I'll be here for awhile so we should be able to meet up somehow. It's true though we have to interact face to face. And I don't think the writter nessarily needs to be there when they film but it would be nice.
To me, i think it's necessary for the writer to be there. Because the producer might not see what the writer see, unless the producer have good imagination like the writer too then yep. it's all good to go. :)

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
To me, i think it's necessary for the writer to be there. Because the producer might not see what the writer see, unless the producer have good imagination like the writer too then yep. it's all good to go. :)
True. They need to see eye to eye to make a project the best it can be. But sometimes people think the director is already there in place of the writer, since he/she's the one holding the camera.

x_xshinx_x

sarNie Hatchling
Firstly i would like that say! I truly FEEL in love with that fanfic!~ I also would like to see it... in LIVE ACTION! :D

i too, never try submitting any stories to Hmong producer/directors, but i believe you should try to figure out... (since i LOVE your story)
i was looking around as i came across 'Golden Path Entertainment' website... but i am not sure if they would have the Naas Ej and Phab Ej that you would want though...

here is the website just in case you would like to ask:

http://www.pajnyiag.com/?mv=home

BUT i am not sure if this is his PERSONAL website... i think it's the website for his movie... but there's his e-mail... included... also... his youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gpedirect

it might not even help.... but i really like to see your story come to LIVE!~

bakaPX

sarNie Adult
It's worth a try. But you're gonna need to be face to face
with the producer before you give the story. As someone
already mentioned, they might take your story and credit
themselves. Send the production an email or call them and
talk to them about it THEN give the story.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Thank you, shin for your positive feedback and your helpful information.

Truthfully I'm a fan of Moua Lee's choreography and directing skills. I liked to submit the story to him but I've seen most of his work and his storylines has strong hidden meanings (morals) behind it, so he’ll probably hesitate with this storyline of mines.
My story is what you call the typical melodrama, with less emphasis on it. I think it fits more of “Modern Art Jungle Studio (Paul Hu Van)” type of stories. They had done “Nplooj Siab Khaub Lig Cua” and “Hlub Tshaj Txoj Siab.” Don’t really want to send it to them as well because of the fact, they have the tendency to use the same actor and actress. I’m sure they have a connection with Txhaj having to work with him multiple times before, I’m just afraid if they can’t get him they’re going to use Chen Vang. And of course the Nass Ej I’m pretty sure they’re going to use Naslis Lis, which I’ll be 100 percent in disagreement with, because I don’t see her carrying out the role as Hli Nra.
If Txhaj Hawj can’t make it in the main hero role (Phaj Ej), I believe Coob Thoj would fit it as well. He can express his emotions very well (mean or nice). As for the main heroin (Naas Ej), I’m very picky about her, I haven’t seen a Naas Ej who has decent appearance and acting, like Paj Zaub Vwj.
Mentioning that, Cooj Thoj and Paj Zaub Vwj has acted for Moua Lee before.

BakaPX you are right well have to discuss with the producer. An agreement or guideline should be created before the story is actually submitted. I have a few dedicated readers so they should know they had read it here before they saw it onscreen.

bakaPX

sarNie Adult
Thank you, shin for your positive feedback and your helpful information.

Truthfully I'm a fan of Moua Lee's choreography and directing skills. I liked to submit the story to him but I've seen most of his work and his storylines has strong hidden meanings (morals) behind it, so he’ll probably hesitate with this storyline of mines.
My story is what you call the typical melodrama, with less emphasis on it. I think it fits more of “Modern Art Jungle Studio (Paul Hu Van)” type of stories. They had done “Nplooj Siab Khaub Lig Cua” and “Hlub Tshaj Txoj Siab.” Don’t really want to send it to them as well because of the fact, they have the tendency to use the same actor and actress. I’m sure they have a connection with Txhaj having to work with him multiple times before, I’m just afraid if they can’t get him they’re going to use Chen Vang. And of course the Nass Ej I’m pretty sure they’re going to use Naslis Lis, which I’ll be 100 percent in disagreement with, because I don’t see her carrying out the role as Hli Nra.
If Txhaj Hawj can’t make it in the main hero role (Phaj Ej), I believe Coob Thoj would fit it as well. He can express his emotions very well (mean or nice). As for the main heroin (Naas Ej), I’m very picky about her, I haven’t seen a Naas Ej who has decent appearance and acting, like Paj Zaub Vwj.
Mentioning that, Cooj Thoj and Paj Zaub Vwj has acted for Moua Lee before.

BakaPX you are right well have to discuss with the producer. An agreement or guideline should be created before the story is actually submitted. I have a few dedicated readers so they should know they had read it here before they saw it onscreen.

Yup

mia07

Introvert
I really like Moua Lee and Cha Bee Thao's movies because they both portrayed very good morals. Moua Lee's latest movie, Paj Nyiag Txoj Hmoo, wasn't that good because I feel like it's almost the same as Nkauj Hli Txoj Hmoo, but NHTH was better. I love his cinematography though. Lately, there aren't any good Hmong movies that gives me the feeling of wanting to watch it more than one time. Like that one movie produced by Modern Jungle Arts that involves Jao Fa people - it was a total waste of time because it didn't make any sense. The Jao Fa made by Hmong Media was twice as better. My brother is currently in the movie industry, trying to boost up his production and make it a living, but it's pretty hard.

To be honest, Hmong people are quite greedy - maybe that's why credits are given to nearly the same people or people that are related to them like someone mention and when offer help, they don't give credits to others. On the contrary, it's also because of money, too. I'm pretty sure some Hmong producers wants to produce a good movie but money is always the issue (I.E., paying the actors, paying for food to provide for them, print the movie, create movie covers/posters, etc, etc, etc,...). It's taking a big risk - you have to think about whether the movie you produce will give you the money you pay to do it back AKA make profit. The owner of Hmong Media is my cousin. The production started off with just him and his wife and now that his production is known, he earns enough money to pay Thai and other people to do things for him.

pcvaj

sarNie Egg
Hmong people really aren't' about collaborating on ideas. As you watch the credits on each movie the storyline they're usually written by the producer/director, I don't know if they're just cheap or they think our ideas aren't good enough. I seen many of you post ideas here, they're better storyline than the movies out there, but I don't believe I've seen it taken into consideration at all.

So I was wondering with the little feedback of directors/producers, would you be willing to pitch in ideas, or would it just be a waste of energy?

I have a story that I will soon post in Fan Fiction Section. I'll try to base it around what Hmong Production can provide and what not. Scenery and props, I wish they could at least make their movies classy w/o being too cheesy.

Hello Ms. Nancy,

Knowing what I know now and speaking from my own perspective at Hollywood as well as Hmong Productions...the reason why I make films is because I wanted to bring my own stories to life without anyone trying to tell me what I should take out or add. I am not saying that my stories are the best, but it is easier for me to make changes on the fly if I am the writer.

In Hollywood..once you submit your scripts to the production companies and they take you on, the writer is out of the picture...out of sight...out of mind...and when the finished product is completed, you'd be amazed at how much your story has changed. Sometimes you don't even recognize the very same story that you've written for them.

As a filmmaker, I am always open and GAME for new ideas and scripts. Hell...as long as it is good and I can DIRECT it...why the hell not. But that is only me.

However, a Directors job is to Direct...so if you are the writer...you cannot complain or tell the Director how to Direct. This is a common mistake amongst all new Writers...the script is their baby and they tend to want to give their opinion on how the Director should Direct their script...but in actuality...they really have no say in it and it is very unprofessional of them to even attempt to try to tell the Director how to do their job. I have seen it done by Writers on Indi- films and it has never worked. They just frustrate the hell out of the Directors and drive them off the project. And then the writers wonder why?

On a set...the Director is GOD...and only answers to the PRODUCERS..why?? Because the Producers control the purse strings. The Writer is not even in the picture unless they are the producers themselves...then that is a whole different story. Because if you are shelling out the money...you better believe that the DIRECTOR will do exactly what you say. On the Camera man...he is just the DP or Director of Photography....he is behind the camera relaying what the Director wants....and frames the shots to how the Director specifies him to do. Therefore because of the DP...the DIRECTOR can be outside of the camera and DIRECT instead of being behind the camera and trying to direct....and that is why the WRITER is not needed.

But then there are the Writers and Producers who truly understand their jobs...and that is how beautiful movies are made...cuz they leave the DIRECTORS alone to focus on their craft as they were hired to do.

On Hmong filmmakers..collaborating......Tried that...and I really have NO comment! Some say they will help or collaborate...but they always talk the talk...never walk the walk. Zoo lis laj hais kom zoo saib xwb...but when its time to step up...everyone says they are busy. REALLY!!! I mean ...then don't say what you don't intend to follow through. If I said I was willing to help....I will make room in my busy schedule to help. I will not make excuses...because in all honesty...if you really wanted to help you could make it happen.

Finally....since I have stepped out into the American film arena, if any of you have any scripts that you feel can get across to all of America...submit it to me and I will look over it and give you my professional opinion on it. If it is a solid storyline and we can film it, I am game to do so. You will maintain credit as the writer and we will maintain artistic control over how the film should be shot.

In all honesty....some of the Hmong filmmakers told me that I cannot make it in the Mikas industry because they had tried and it did not work....too small of an audience....so I asked them what were they trying to make? ....and they told me..something with a Hmong theme...lol....

Well then...Houston we do have a problem ....Why the hell are you making films with Hmong themes when your target market is white America!!??? HELLO??? No wonder you can't get any investors?? Hollywood is a cut throat business....you gotta make it catchy and trendy enough to have White America watch it. And yes...some people do slam me on why I do not plan on making Hmong films or documentaries to show our Hmong people and culture....BUT.....

My personal thoughts on that is...I will come back to my Hmong people and build them...but I cannot do that if I am a NOBODY. People will listen to a SOMEBODY...but hardly a NOBODY. So for now..I will learn to walk like them..talk like them...and hone my craft amongst them so that when I get there...I will know what to do when I come back for my people....after all ...Hollywood is just down the street from where I live, it won't kill me to learn from them until I can stand on my own two feet and make a name for myself. Then...and only then...will I be able to come back and help my Hmong people.

Much Respects,
PCV

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Hello Ms. Nancy,

Knowing what I know now and speaking from my own perspective at Hollywood as well as Hmong Productions...the reason why I make films is because I wanted to bring my own stories to life without anyone trying to tell me what I should take out or add. I am not saying that my stories are the best, but it is easier for me to make changes on the fly if I am the writer.

In Hollywood..once you submit your scripts to the production companies and they take you on, the writer is out of the picture...out of sight...out of mind...and when the finished product is completed, you'd be amazed at how much your story has changed. Sometimes you don't even recognize the very same story that you've written for them.

As a filmmaker, I am always open and GAME for new ideas and scripts. Hell...as long as it is good and I can DIRECT it...why the hell not. But that is only me.

However, a Directors job is to Direct...so if you are the writer...you cannot complain or tell the Director how to Direct. This is a common mistake amongst all new Writers...the script is their baby and they tend to want to give their opinion on how the Director should Direct their script...but in actuality...they really have no say in it and it is very unprofessional of them to even attempt to try to tell the Director how to do their job. I have seen it done by Writers on Indi- films and it has never worked. They just frustrate the hell out of the Directors and drive them off the project. And then the writers wonder why?

On a set...the Director is GOD...and only answers to the PRODUCERS..why?? Because the Producers control the purse strings. The Writer is not even in the picture unless they are the producers themselves...then that is a whole different story. Because if you are shelling out the money...you better believe that the DIRECTOR will do exactly what you say. On the Camera man...he is just the DP or Director of Photography....he is behind the camera relaying what the Director wants....and frames the shots to how the Director specifies him to do. Therefore because of the DP...the DIRECTOR can be outside of the camera and DIRECT instead of being behind the camera and trying to direct....and that is why the WRITER is not needed.

But then there are the Writers and Producers who truly understand their jobs...and that is how beautiful movies are made...cuz they leave the DIRECTORS alone to focus on their craft as they were hired to do.

On Hmong filmmakers..collaborating......Tried that...and I really have NO comment! Some say they will help or collaborate...but they always talk the talk...never walk the walk. Zoo lis laj hais kom zoo saib xwb...but when its time to step up...everyone says they are busy. REALLY!!! I mean ...then don't say what you don't intend to follow through. If I said I was willing to help....I will make room in my busy schedule to help. I will not make excuses...because in all honesty...if you really wanted to help you could make it happen.

Finally....since I have stepped out into the American film arena, if any of you have any scripts that you feel can get across to all of America...submit it to me and I will look over it and give you my professional opinion on it. If it is a solid storyline and we can film it, I am game to do so. You will maintain credit as the writer and we will maintain artistic control over how the film should be shot.

In all honesty....some of the Hmong filmmakers told me that I cannot make it in the Mikas industry because they had tried and it did not work....too small of an audience....so I asked them what were they trying to make? ....and they told me..something with a Hmong theme...lol....

Well then...Houston we do have a problem ....Why the hell are you making films with Hmong themes when your target market is white America!!??? HELLO??? No wonder you can't get any investors?? Hollywood is a cut throat business....you gotta make it catchy and trendy enough to have White America watch it. And yes...some people do slam me on why I do not plan on making Hmong films or documentaries to show our Hmong people and culture....BUT.....

My personal thoughts on that is...I will come back to my Hmong people and build them...but I cannot do that if I am a NOBODY. People will listen to a SOMEBODY...but hardly a NOBODY. So for now..I will learn to walk like them..talk like them...and hone my craft amongst them so that when I get there...I will know what to do when I come back for my people....after all ...Hollywood is just down the street from where I live, it won't kill me to learn from them until I can stand on my own two feet and make a name for myself. Then...and only then...will I be able to come back and help my Hmong people.

Much Respects,
PCV
so your saying, if you become a writer, might as well become a director too so the story is not changed around. :)

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
Thanks pcvaj.

The story I'm writing right now is focus toward the Hmong community, because it has something to do with the hero being a owner of a rice field and some dialogue are in Hmong. When I wrote "Lub Hmo Hli Nra" I was thinking of how to different the storyline from the typical Hmong story so that it can be in favor of both the Older Hmong Generation and the Younger Hmong Generation.

For Hmong producer/director trying to get their film across Hollywood, I agree with you, you can't get across them when your storyline is focus toward one age and ethnicity group. When I write I always consider who my audience are, their age, their ethnicity, etc. Most are my story are mellow dramatic and toward the Asian side, so I know never make it into the American industry, I have never attempt it.

I do understand that as writer we only have the responsibility of jolting the idea. Directors are they one who visual it and make it come alive. If there's things they have to alternate or change, I myself believe that they know their job, so they will do it right.

Sometimes people have strive to another ethnicity to help them out because their own people won't help them out. So they shouldn't be ridicule for that choice. You are a courage person to reach out and try something new, so I applaud you for that.

I wish you good luck and hope that you can become successful, PCVaj.