[JMovie]Rurouni Kenshin Live Action

fun

Expired Sarnie
I'm surprised that after watching the teaser, I am actually interested. I forgot the last jodrama I have seen. For movies, I don't think I want to know what was the last movie I enjoyed.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
Perhaps my dream of seeing the jinchuu arc animated won't ever materialize. But the possibility of seeing it in live action might just become real. T^T

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
i remembered that there was gonna be a live movie adaptation.. but goodness, that was long ago.. nice to see the teaser :D loved loved loved the anime and manga :D the cast seems pretty ok to me as well hehe :)

BATTOSAIIIIII!!!! XD

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Oro... oro.. orooooooo!!!! :D

Finally, I got the chance to watch this!! I loved it!!  To my surprise, it's a job well done!  This was a pleasantly nice cast.  Sato Takeru.. You actually made a really nice Kenshin... I admit at first I was sort of surprised... but right when I saw him onscreen.. He totally matched.

Being a fan of the anime & manga.. I have to say this movie did do it's justice... It is just really well done.  The scenery was great, the storyline was smooth.  Even if you're new to Ruroni Kenshin/Samurai X, you'll still understand the storyline.  The movie was just like the beginning episodes of the anime, and like I said.. the flow was good.

Now onto the action scene..  I was shocked.. I was so darn excited seeing the action, because it looked believable :D  I can't believe they pulled it off, because everything looked so smooth. 

Great job cast and the director.  You all certainly did not kill my love for the anime/manga Ruroni Kenshin.  This classic will always be one of my favorites, and of course this movie as well now.

Sigh, oh how I wish there could be more.... *sniffsniff*  This is just the beginning.. I want all the other arcs of the manga... *sniffsniff* 

But yes, this live adaptation is definitely worth watching.. I wouldn't even mind rewatching it!!  (then again it's all my opinion hehe :p)  Good, good, GOOD :D  WATCH WATCH WATCH :p

Seeing these kind of anime/manga turned live, it's always scary to think of the outcome.. because you don't want the live adaptation to be a flop..  This live adaptation definitely was not a flop!!  Job well done!  Go watchity watch watch.. :woot: :woot2: :woot: :woot2:

edit:  Man, if we did not have rules, I'll be totally spazzing all over in this topic.... ohhhhh I need a buddy!.. I want to talk and share.. LOL.. ahhh..

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
sigh, I rewatched it last night.. It's still so good <3
I really hope they'll make a movie series.. because it was that good! XD.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ Lol mint, those are indeed old news.. but I still find'em hilarious too :p

Anyways, I'm totally excited for part 2 & 3.  The cast looks pretty darn good.  

And of course, I'm just waiting to see Sato Takeru as Kimura Henshin again :3

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
I assume the Kyoto Arc will be divided into two parts movies. And judging by the titles, I have a feeling they will not be filming the Jinchuu Arc. It's a shame and yet... even if they film it, it probably would not satisfy me.

The movie as it stands alone is almost flawless if you just want a short story with flashy, epic action scenes. Even for the majority of the original RK fans, the film is a special gift and meets many expectations. But to be honest, for me, I just can't be satisfied even if I sincerely appreciate it. No matter how much people rave about it, I can't like it as much as I would like. Maybe it's because I love the anime and manga too much so that it's impossible for me to love the movie as 2-3 hours is just too short for me. It's not that I disapprove or disagree with the acclaim and high reviews it received from critics and fans though. After all, the more popular the movies are, the higher the chances of the fandom being revived again. Which, obviously, the movie is actually considered an immense success. Even if I cannot rave about it I have to admit it benefits the overall franchise. I can predict with the second and third movies, Sato's popularity will also continue to soar and more attention will be brought to RK in general. Then perhaps, this would also mean... maybe the Jinchuu Arc will be animated one day if the creators realize they can milk some more money out of it. DBkai was reanimated and I hear Sailor Moon is also being reanimated from scratch. The filler episodes are cut out so they can remain truer and more faithful to the manga. If this is the trend, I hope I can look towards the day where RK will receive the same treatment one day. Even if it's another 10-20 years, I think I will still look forward to it.... Thinking about this... makes me sentimental lol. The fact that the Jinchuu Arc was never animated always left me an empty feeling of incompleteness.. and it's been almost ten years since I became a fan. It hurts. Hahaha. So much that I have to do a marathon with the anime and manga. Even fanfics. Something I don't appreciate enough.

About the movie again though, I have to say -- like everyone has said -- Sato Takeru is just perfect as Kenshin. I can't imagine anyone else playing the part. Kaoru, Sanosuke, Yahiko... everyone did their parts well but... its like Sato is the only real one carrying the whole show. I don't know if we should praise his immense charisma or criticize the others for being miscast, not having enough presence, the screenwriter or someone/something. Then again, it's not really something to complain about since Kenshin/Sato IS the main character.. it's just... I imagine the other making stronger impressions on me as well. :/ When I fell in love with RK, I fell in love with the other characters as well not just Kenshin...Heck, I even fell in love with the villains ! ... Then again, the fact that the voice actor for Shishio was the same guy who voiced Spike's character in Cowboy Bebop was probably one of the reasons why I find Shishio sexy. 55555 RK and DBZ are probably the only anime where I prefer English dubs over Japanese ones....... About the movie again.... Character development was what was lacking for me.... There is not enough buildup or depth for any friendship or relationship to develop in the movie imho.... Something they have to work on for the Kyoto Arc since Kenshin and Kaoru's bond will be an important element to the story. No matter how scant and subtle it was it needs to be translated. Even if it's just a two minute scene where all they do is exchange simple words, their moments were profound. This is what impressed me about the whole franchise. It is a shounen genre targeted at young male readers, but like Watsuki said, he was surprised he had many female fans. Romance was not even a subplot in the story but for the little parts it had it was intricately interwoven with other bigger, major themes of redemption, repentance, responsibility, right, wrong.... So the romance was not cheesy, cringe-worthy, or over-the-top since it is after all not a shojo or even josei genre. If they don't work on this much of the feelings and emotions will appear forced to me... It won't do the original characters justice. Kaoru is basically Kenshin's catalyst and anchor, his reason for not reverting back to the battousai. Somehow, this bit that I just typed reminds me of Cloud and Tifa's relationship as described by Nojima... or was it Nomura... *chuckles* I was even imagining, if there was ever to be live action of FF7, Sato would make a perfect Cloud. He just needs to go blond.

Despite my complaint though, I have a promising feeling that the second and third movies will surpass the first part. We'll be meeting Shishio, Soujiro...and they'll be fighting and debating. We'll be seeing Sato preaching. 555555 With fancy words and his sakaboto.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Ahhhhhh... the official trailer for the sequel is out!!!  I'm so excited, fangirling :D  August is so far away, but it's not like I'll actually get to see the movie right there and then.. sighhh.............. :(  But, I definitely can't wait for it!!  I rewatched the 1st part so many times, awaiting for this sequel.  :D :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAgmfGZbVrQ
credit: るろうに剣心映画

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ lol, I knew it was in the making.. was just waiting for an actual trailer to spike up my anticipation for the two new sequels ~ Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Taika-hen (Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire) & Rurouni Kenshin: Densetsu no Saigo-hen (Rurouni Kenshin: The End of a Legend) :D

The first sequel opens in August, and the next one in September.  The anticipation kills me... :D

fun

Expired Sarnie
I have been wanting for them to do a drama version too. I hope one day it will happen. 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ Like the long annual Taiga drama? or regular 10 eps drama? LOL.

I wouldn't mind either.. but as long as the cast and actions will be good, and they do the whole plot and arcs in the manga.  I would love to see Sato Takeru reprise the role though if there is a drama version.. he was like the perfect choice.. :cry:

fun

Expired Sarnie
I will be happy with 12-14 episode. I don't think I can work with drama that surpass 50 episode unless I must be bored out of my mind. 

I need more romance. I love action but if it is balance well with romance, it's a plus for me. A good example would be The Condor Trilogy. I think from all Asian drama writers, Chinese does best in incorporating balance in their wuxia/custom drama.

mintwix

MMの弁護士。
No fireflies in the departure scene. -9999. That was supposed to be classic.

Japanese dramas tend to be the least romantic / lovey-dovey of all the the major Asian dramas. I like it. But yeah. I need a sprinkle of romance here and there too. Not too much though. It makes me feel uncomfortable. LULz.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
This was a hilarious april fool's joke.. (in my opinion lol)  Sato Takeru replaced :p

cr:animenewsnetwork

fun

Expired Sarnie
Where can I watch the sequel with English sub!!! It has already been released in Japan.