[FF] The Riverbed

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I know, here I am once again.. with a new FF, which I couldn't help but have a new storyline for.  This time it'll starr Nadech, Mario, Mai, and Yaya.  I'm pretty sure you readers will know where I got my idea from.. hehe.  I really couldn't help it.. when you're obsess with something.. you are indeed obsessed :p

​
The Riverbed
My FF poster will act as a teaser.. hehe.  (sigh, if only I could obtain hq pics for Mario/Mai.. I'd be more than happy.. boohoo)​
 ​

​

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi aikoden, tyvm! im looking forward i love yadech so much n love ur writing ! thumbs up 4yr poster, v nice, typeface2 so appropriate !

huajaikaungtur

- Marina ♥
I can't see the art since I'm at school & pictures are blocked but omg, I love the cast so much :)
And I like your writing style so I'm hyped for this FF!

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Ahhh.. after so long.. I am back to this :D I'm excited to write about this ff.. hehe.. Hope you all will enjoy it.

Note that everything written is pure fiction.. as for all the history, royals, names, and etc used.  It's all just pure entertainment.  If they do happen to have some similarities to other real-life things.. let's just say I was inspired and used them as references hehe :)  But overall, it’s pure fictional fandom.

Characters Intro

Jao Phassakorn/Thuya (Mario/22) is the son of Prince Aran, who was the crowned prince and son of King Mongkut who currently rules Siam. His mother Thiri, was a dethroned Burmese princess who was offered as a slave to Siam as a sign of new peace relations.  When she was almost due with Phassakorn, Prince Aran's fiancee (Princess Kwang) kicked Thiri out of the royal palace.  Feeling ashamed, she returned to her native land and resided in the countryside, giving birth to their son in seclusion.  He currently lives a rough life as a commoner, not knowing that he is actually of royal blood to both kingdoms.

Jao Nang Sasithorn (Mai/20) is the adopted Burmese daughter of Princess Rachanee, the sister to Prince Aran, who married a Burmese prince.  He was very fond and loving toward Sasithorn because she was the daughter of his beautiful late Siamese wife.  She was sent for schooling in the Burmese kingdom at the age of 4 when Princess Rachanee found out she was finally able to conceive a child of her own, when she remarried after Sasithorn's father, the Burmese prince had passed away.  Jao Nang Sasithorn was thus abandoned by her adopted mother and sent into exile in the remote countryside.  

Jao Phanumas (Nadech/19) is the son of Prince Aroon, the distant cousin to the crowned Prince Aran, and Princess Kwang.  He is a perky child who grew up with great care and love from Prince Aran, and is next in line to be the next crowned prince after Prince Aran’s succession to the throne.  He does not know that he is a child created from adultery.  

Jao Nang Jantra (Yaya/16) is the daughter of Princess Rachanee and Prince Klahan.  They live in the Siamese royal household along with King Mongkut and Prince Aran.  She is a very wise and thoughtful young lady.

Prologue

When war rages, it calls upon destruction.  The riverbed that seperates us only seems to grow wider with time.  Will there ever be a day when that riverbed will dry up and unite our countries as one?  Or will it forever continue to be a bloody unreachable dream?

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi aikoden im v happy to get to read this lovely ff of yours! I look forward so much next, thank you, key

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Chapter 1

"Thuya.  Thuya.  Where are you Thuya?"  called Thuya's mother Thiri as she continues washing their clothes by the riverbed.

A joyful young man splashed out of the water.  "I'm here mother."  cheekily smiled Thuya.  "Hop in.  The water feels great today."

His mother let out a slight sigh of worry.  "Get out of the water before you catch a cold.  There might be some hidden snakes in the water, let alone the hibernating dragon."

Thuya got out of the water and took off his soaked shirt for his mother to dry.  "Mother, where did you come up with the assumptions of dragon?  It sounds unbelievable, have you ever seen one?  I've asked other childrens but they all said it's nonsense.  Their parents even laugh at me."

"Don't let them get to you my son.  Believe it or not, dragons are real.  Don't disrespect them.  There are legends spanning through the ages that this riverbed bordering Siam and Burma has a hibernating dragon.  It is said to have been hibernating for the past hundred years and only awakens to feast on the soldiers who have fallen from the war, and also awakens when taking a new bride from offering."

"Bride offering?"  Thuya smirked.  "Who in their right mind would sacrafice their daughters to a dragon?"

"It's true Thuya.  The hibernating dragon is a water god that fulfill prayers.  Like I said, don't disrespect them."

"The hibernating dragon is a water god?  If it's hibernating then how does it answer prayers?"

His mother paused doing the laundry and stared at his smiling son.  "Are you just playing with me today?"

He pretended to hit his head.  "Oi, you caught on faster today Mother."  He went over to her for a hug.  "I know the legends mother.  I am just thankful that you were never sacraficed as a bride for the dragon."  He took a slight pause.  "Wait."

"Wait what?"

"Imagine if you were offered as a bride to the dragon."

His mother gently hit his head.  "Are you out of your mind?!"

"Ouch Mother, that hurts."  He rubs his head.  "I didn't even get to finish what I wanted to say..."  He continues with his cheeky smile.  "Back to what I was saying... If you were offered as a bride.. I would be the son of the water god.  I would have been a dragon prince."

A sad look fell upon her face as she saw the cheerful look on Thuya.  She silently thought to herself as her eyes began to get teary.  "I'm sorry my dear son.  I've hidden you away from the world... from your home.. from your royalty.. from your father.  I know how sad you must be not to have a single relative out here except for me.  I know that I can't hide everything from you.  Only time will reveal itself.  But for now, let me keep you longer.. for you are that's left in my life too.  Please bear with my selfishness."

Thuya gazed gently in his mother's teary eye.  "Are you crying mom?  I'm sorry for saying those words.  I'm really happy that you were never sacraficed.  I really truly deeply apologize to you my beautiful mother Thiri.  Please forgive me." 

She looks into her son's gaze.  "It's fine child.  Let's get going before the sun sets."

"Yes, let's get going."  He grabbed the woven basket filled with their clothes in one hand and held his mother's soft hand in the other and walked down the dusty trail to their home.

A young woman stared at their backs as she silently jumped down from a tree.  "A water god eh?"  She walked toward the riverbed and stared at her reflection in the water.   "Will you really be able to grant me my prayers?"

-------------------------------------------------------

"BULLSEYE!!!" exclaimed the guards as Jao Phanumas shot his fourth deer in a row.  Everyone clapped in joy.

Prince Aran joined in on the clapping.  "Young Prince.  Pretty soon you're going to beat my record in this hunting contest."

Phanumas hauled his horse and went toward his father.  "Never father.  I would never dare to beat your record."

"Are you trying to please me son?"  Prince Aran let out a laugh.  "Go for it.  It's been a tradition for the young ones to outbeat the old ones like us."

"Are you sure Crowned Prince Aran?"  asked Prince Aroon who intruded in the conversation.  "It'll look bad on your part before you ascend the throne."

Prince Aran smiled.  "Why would such a small thing like this affect me in anyway?  It's just a game.  It's only for entertainment."

"It's only a game you say?"  He looked at the Prince Aran and then to Jao Phanumas.  "Maybe he'll ascend to the throne before you."

The smile on Prince Aran rapidly faded away.  "I would watch what you say if you know what I mean."  he said in a strong stern voice.

A smirk grew on Princess Kwang's face as she walks toward then.  "Now now, don't you two be ruining the fun now.  It has only just begun."

"Ah yes, let's continue with the hunting contest.  We'll have a big feast afterwards."  said Prince Aran.

Prince Aroon placed his gaze onto Princess Kwang.  She walked over to him with a smile.  "Stop it with your high horses, unless you want to ruin our plan."

He let out a laugh.  "It's only just the beginning.  I haven't even had my fun yet.  It's you with the high horse."  He walked passed her and whispered.  "Soon."

"Sister Sasithorn!  Sister Sasithorn!" shouted a little girl.

A youn lady came out of an old wooden hut.  "Yes?" answered Sasithorn.  "What's the matter?"

The little girl ran up to her.  "My sister Nu has been missing all day today.  I can't find her anywhere."

Sasithorn lowered herself down to the little girl's height, trying to calm her down.  "Don't worry, I'll ask the others to help us in searching for your sister.  We'll definitely find her.  In the meantime, stay inside my house."

"Yes, thank you sister Sasithorn.  I'll wait patiently here."  Sasithorn smiled and patted the girl's head.

Sasithorn asked the neighbors for help and they all splitted up in different directions in search of the little girl's sister Nu.  As the sun was beginning to set, Sasithorn grew more and more worried.  "She should be here... she's usually here."  She looked up at the trees as she continued down the dusty road.  "Please be safe."

As she continued searching down the dusty road near the riverbed, she spotted a ragged dress on the edge of the river.  Sasithorn began to worry even more.  "Nu, Nu.. Nu.  Where are you?  Nu answer me.  Nu.  Come out.  Nu."

She continued wandering near the riverbed, looking in each direction until she saw a young lady almost near the other edge of the riverbed.  "Nu!"  Sasithorn shouted.  "Come back Nu!"

The girl faintly heard her name being called and looked back before almost reaching the edge.  She then heard footsteps coming closer to the riverbed's edge.  The men giggled and spoke proudly in their Siamese tongue. 

"Well look it here.  A young maiden had decided to cross this river." said a man as he closed in on her.  "Want to be mines tonight?"

Nu splashed water at them in fear and tried to swim back to the other side. 

"Catch her!  Don't let her escape!" shouted the other man.  They jumped in the water and grabbed the lady.

"Let her go!  Let her go!" shouted Sasithorn from afar.  "Please return her to us."

The men looked her way.  "Well look at that.  It seems she wants a turn too!"

"Let me go!" cried out Nu as she struggled to free herself.  "Let me go!"

"Look at her body... So young and fresh.  I bet she's a virgin."

"Let me taste her first."  One of the men grabbed her breast and moved his hand down.

Nu cried in fear.  "Please let me go... I beg of you.. please don't do anything to me.  Please."

The neighbors reached Sasithorn and saw what was happening.  "It's too late Sasithorn.  They're wild beasts!  Them Siamese untamed beasts!"

Sasithorn clenched her fist and cried.  "PLEASE LET HER GO!  I BEG OF YOU!  PLEASE LET HER GO!"

At that very moment, a royal looking man came out from the forest and walked his horse to the river's edge, giving it water.  He looked at the men in disgust.  "Let her go this instant."

The men looked at him up and down.  "Don't think that just because you look fancy doesn't mean we won't do anything to you, young man."

"I said let her go!"  He readied his bow and arrow at the men.  "Let her go this instant!"

The man laughed in laughter.  "He wants to play hero.  Go get him!" 

The men slowly went after him, and he continuously fired an arrow one after the other, only wounding them in the thigh.  "Let her go now before I really get mad!"

An arrow shot passed the young man from behind and went straight to the young lady's heart.  "Sasi-thorn.." said Nu as she fell to the ground saying her last words.  "I'm sorry for being so.. stupid." 

[Music played during this scene... :( ]

Sasithorn screamed her heart out as she saw Nu fall to the ground.  "Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!  Nuuuuuuuuuuuu!  Get up!  Nuuuuuu!"  She moved closer in to the river.

The neighbors held her back.  "Stop it Sasithorn!  Stop it!  It's dangerous.  It's already too late... She's gone."

Sasithorn wailed with pain.  "Nuuu.. Nuuu..  I'm sorry I couldn't fulfill your promise..."

The young man looked behind him in shock.  "Uncle Aroon!  Why'd you kill her?!"

Prince Aroon ordered his men.  "Kill every single last one of those men!  Kill off their family too!"

"Uncle Aroon!  Stop it this instant!" shouted Jao Phanumas.  "Uncle!"

"Shut up kid!  You almost died here!"

"But Uncle!  Why'd you have to kill her?!"  He looked at the young lady and then to the far crowd on the other side.  "What are you going to say to them?  It's already hard trying to keep the peace with our country Uncle.  Why'd you do this?"

Prince Aroon looked at Phanumas in disgust.  "Why are you crying over this nasty Burmese woman?  She was asking for this!  Come on men, let's go!"  He walked away leaving Phanumas alone.

Jao Phanumas looked at the lady again and then back to the crowd.  He ripped off a cloth from his horse saddle and wrapped the lady.  He then pulled her into the water, letting her float away.  He resepectfully bowed back to her and the crowd and rode off.

Sasithorn continued wailing as she watched the man leave and Nu's body float away.  "Rest in peace Nu.. rest in peace." 

------------------------------------------------------- TO BE CONTINUED -------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Yeah.. yeah.. yeah..  I wasn't sure how to start it off .. but hopefully this chapter went by pretty smooth.  Enjoy!  .. I also love classical pieces.. so I had to use this classic instrumental.  Do note that it's one of my theme song for this fanfic.. BooHoo.. :(

@keylargo, thank you for following up on this ff. I really appreciate it :)

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
First of all, your FF posters of Yadech and MarioMai are beautiful. Very enchanting indeed ehehe Girl your prologue got me all teary because it was beautifully written and quite touching. Huhuhuhu It makes me think of the war we are in now ya know. Why can't there just be peace in this world. Keke OT lol I finished reading Ch1 and loved it to pieces. Great way to start your FF that is now a Lakorn in my head hhaha I was able to picture everything and that played out pretty well hah Plus while my visuals were at work, your whole ch1 scenes in my head had mystical clouds floating and purple and pink clouds as the background. (Like how the clouds look when the sun is setting) lol i hope I'm making sense. Prince Aran and Prince Aroon are basically competing against each other am I right? I already see so much tension between the two. Once Thuya is in the picture and claims his rightful spot as the new ruler, Jao Phanumas is going to have to fight for the throne. Ahhhh I sense so much drama already and I'm scared. :0 There's def going to be a new war that will erupt between Prince Aroon&Aran :0 Prince Aran, you shouldn't be cursing at Burmese girls when you had one as your wife. I'm certain he still loves Thiri and holds a grudge against any Burmese girls because he supposedy probably thinks she ran away when the truth is, she got kicked out by his fiancé. Argh. Stupid Prince ! *Sorry, I'm getting way into your characters lmao* Can't wait to read what his expression is when he finds out that Thuya is his son. I feel so sad for Nuu. Curiosity got the best of her :( You got me hooked ! Tuning in for ch2 ^^ Loveeeeee

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Thanks so much aikoden, its so beautifully written i find myself transported back in the era ! the story is so intriguing, love marios love for his mom and how noble nadech is despite being surrounded by wicked bad influence. for sure im staying tune, thank u aikoden, key

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I'm so glad you two are enjoying it so far... Its my first time writing a period fanfic so ... I was majorly worried.. eek... since Thip told me before that Yadech's commercial and Pee Mak were actually different eras.. but I was like alright I'll just scrap that and leave the era yearr unknown and just make it a warring era.. 

@ipsmilez, lol and omgahh.. I knew having Aran and Aroons name so similar was gonna come bite me in the end. I typed it wrong.. it should be uncle Aroon not Aran. Because *cough cough* Aroon is the evil one in here... Lol, such a mistake caused a whole new effect on the characters.. eeek.

I'll have to come back and edit it later.. :/

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
@aiko;

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG; okay okay I got chu hhehehe !!! Forreals tho, I got all heated up when I read Prince Aran(Aroon)'s comment about Burmese girls !! ARGH eheh !!! :dance3:  :dance3:  :dance3:  Take your time writing Ch2 and "update soon" heheh  

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Chapter 2

As Jao Phanumas laid to rest on his bed, the flashback of the young lady's death kept replaying in his head.  He stared at the golden ceiling while twirling his thumbs in a daze.  "I'm sorry to you young lady.  I never meant to do any harm, but in the end I did.  My uncle's doing is equal to my doin, so I really do apologize for causing your death.  I promise I'll hold a memorial at the riverbed in remembrance of your innocent death.  So please rest your soul."

The door creaked open, and Crowned Prince Aran entered Phanumas' sleeping chamber.  "Is something wrong son?"  He sat next to Phanumas, stroking his hair. 

Phanumas smiled in embarrassment.  "Father, I'm no longer a child..."

Prince Aran stopped with the stroking and gently tugged Phanumas' hair.  "No longer a child?  Impossible."  He let out a laugh.  "My mother would probably still stroke my hair if she was still alive today."

Phanumas sat up feeling guilty.  "Fine, fine."

His father looked him in the eyes.  "You didn't seem like yourself earlier, is something the bothering you?"

Phanumas let out a deep sigh.  "Not really Father.. it's just."

"Tell me your worries son."

"You promise you won't punish anyone?"

"I promise."

"I'm still worried though, since it is quite a big matter."

"Son, I promise I won't do a thing."  He patted his son on the shoulder.  "Now, now.  Tell me what the matter is."

Phanumas let out another sigh and began retelling his father what had happened earlier on today at the riverbed. 

Upon hearing the story, his father quickly stood up.  "Preposterous!"

"Father, wait.."

"How could you not tell me this until now?  This is such a serious problem."

"I know Father... but I really couldn't.  I felt really guilty.. and it was Uncle Aroon's doing too."

"Not only were our own fellow country men slain on our land, an innocent Burmese woman too.  Don't you know how serious this really is?"

"Father, I know.  I truly know how serious this matter is.  It can even lead to war."  A worried look fell on his face.  "Is something going to happen to Uncle Aroon father?"

Prince Aran shook his head.  "I don't know... but for now, let's keep this matter between the two of us.  I'll tell the King when it's the right time."  He walked out of the chamber in disappointment.

Jao Phanumas covered his face in his hand.  "One is my country, yet one is my enemy.  One is my family, yet one is a stranger."  He got up and sat by the balcony, staring at the hazy full moon.  "What will become of this situation?"

Thuya stretched his body under the full moon.  "We made it back in time Mother.  Right on time."  He then crouched down, reaching his hand out to a little shadow by the tree.  "We're back."

The little shadow grew bigger and bigger.  "Bark! Bark!" barked the little dog.

"Were you waiting for us?"  He picked the dog up, rubbing his face on its nose.  "You are such an adorable little doggy."

"Son, how many times have I told you to stop doing that to the dog?"  questioned Thiri as she finished putting the clothes away.  "If you keep playing with it.. it'll continue following us."

"Mother, how can you say that?  He's part of our family."  He looked at the dog.  "Right?  Am I right?"  He set the dog down and looked at the moon.

"Is something wrong son?"

He shook his head.  "No, I'm fine Mother."  He pointed to the moon.  "I was just thinking how beautiful the full moon is today despite its cloudy haze."

Thiri gazed at the moon while thinking silently to herself.  "Are you gazing at the moon today too?  It's been over 20 years, but I still feel like it's the very same moon we gazed upon that night.  Are you resting well?  Do you still need to set a water bowl filled with orange jasmine flowers next to your bed?  Do you.. still remember me like I still remember you dearly?"

"Mother.  Mother.  Mother?"  Thuya went over to his mother, hugging her from behind.  "Mother, are you okay?"

"Ah, yes.  Yes I'm fine."  she cleared her throat.  "Now, now.  Let's go rest inside."

Thuya held her in tighter.  "Mother, can we sleep outside tonight?  The moon is just too beautiful that I want to continue looking at it."

She slightly smiled.  "You just want to continue being a child don't you?"  She gently squeezed his soft cheeks.  "Fine let's do that."

As they laid on the small wooden table, Thuya crept closer to his mother's chest, giving her his body heat. "His hair is getting longer." she thought to herself as she began stroking his hair.  "I love you my dear son." she sniffed kiss him on the forehead.

"I love you too mother."  He sniffed kiss her on the cheeks.  "Can you sing the moon song to me mother, so I can go to sleep."

"Silly child.  I will, so rest your eyes." 

As he closed his eyes, Thiri began singing his favorite song "Lao Duang Deun."  They then eventually fell asleep under the chilly full moon.

​

Sasithorn embraced Nu's little sister tightly in her chest as she held back her tears.  Aung cried continuously in her embrace.  "Nu!  Nu!  Come back to me sis.  Nu!"

Sasithorn stroked her hair.  "Aung, don't cry.  She may be gone but she'll forever be in our hearts."  She looked into Aung's swollen eyes.  "You don't want to lose her there too do you?"

Aung shook her head gasping for air while still crying.  "First father left us.. then mother.. then Gong our dog.. and now Nu too...  They all abandoned be.  They all hate me.  They left me to fend for myself."

Sasithorn embraced her even tighter.  "No, you still have me.  You still have me.  I'll stay with you no matter what."  She stared at the full moon.  "I, Sasithorn, makes a promise unto the moon that I'll never leave you no matter what happens."

Aung hugged her softly.  "But Sasithorn.. how can the moon make a promise to the moon?  Shouldn't you make a promise to the sun instead?"

"Though my name Sasithorn means the moon in Siam, the moon is still the moon.  I will still continue to make a promise to the moon, for I know that the moon god will protect it."

Aung looked at the moon.  "The moon god?"

"Yes, the Moon god."  She continued stroking Aung's hair.  "Now, now.  Let's get some rest, for we have plenty of things to do in the morning."  She whispered those words and blew out the last burning flame.

------------------------------------------------------- TO BE CONTINUED -------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  I was itching to post the chapter up last night but oh boy.. studying for tests... turned out to be a failure since I'm pretty sure I bombed all the tests I've just taken.. gahhhh.. going bonkers.  So in the meantime, I'll immerse myself in the fanfic :p  I hope the 2nd chapter went by smooth too... I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue on with the same  day or.. let it pass by already..... but for now, I decided to focus more on the character developments.. My fave character happens to be Thuya so far.. he's such a silly child.  He's never too old I tell ya.. never too old!.. j/k j/k.. yes he is old :p ahaha..  Tootle-loo for now.  Enjoy :)

p.s.  I'll be using classical pieces in the ff... so you'll here Lao Duang Deun, Kamensaiyoke or other pieces in the story once in a while... :3

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
I literally jumped for joy under the covers in bed lol hahahaha !!! Can't wait to read Ch2.

I have a question. So Jao Phanumas doesn't know that Prince Aroon is his real father? :0

I also like Thuya's character the most right now haah along with Jao Phanumas. When I was reading his part, I can tell that he's a very gentle and thoughtful guy.

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi aikoden love this chap both are gentlemen, one v serious and the other very goofy i love their characters. Thank u so much despite your tests hope u'll be pleasantly surprised with your results, key

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Late as heck in replies but @ipsmilez, no Phanumas does not know that Prince Aroon is his real father.... it will be told later on in the story. 

@keylargo, why thank you sweety.. :)

Sigh, I missed this ff of mines so much while I was away... :(  Just reread it and everything came back in a flash hehehe :3  Y'all know what that means? :p :D

keylargo

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi Aikoden
You are most welcome. Looking forward to read The Riverbed but take your time. Thanks so much, tc.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Chapter 3

Sasithorn arose to the sun shining on her delicate caramel tanned skin.  She gazed at the sun in a tearful manner.  "Each day that you bring light onto this land, a dear one to me also parts.  When will this cursed dream end?  I lost Nu yesterday right before my eyes... and Mya the day before. Why do you do this to me Sun god?  What have I done to deserve this?  Why must you always take my loved ones away?  My heart can't bear to take in any more pain.  It hurts too much."  She clenched tightly near her chest.  "I really don't know what to do with this pain..."

A droplet of her tear fell onto Aung's sleeping face.  "I can't bear to wake up every morning knowing that my loved ones are no longer with me..."  She wiped the tear off Aung's face.  "Today… are you taking her away from me too?  If so, I won't let go of her hand at all..."

Sasithorn stared fiercely at the sun as if she was giving it a challenge.  "Do you hear me?  I won't let you take her away from me.  Never!"  Tears rolled down her face as she wails in grief.

A young lady crept near the door of Jao Phanumas and silently walked over to the garden pond filled with kois.  "Shhh.." she whispered to her maid.  "Jao Phanumas is still sleeping.  We must not make a noise."

Her maid quickly shook her head.  "Yes Jao Nang Jantra."

Jao Nang Jantra smiled at her maid.  "Did you bring them?"

"Yes, I did."  The maid rustled through her clothe bag and handed the peeled oranges to Jao Nang Jantra.

"You're too loud, he'll hear us...."

Jao Phanumas stared at them from his door.  "Of course I'll hear you."

Jao Nang Jantra dropped the peeled oranges on the ground.  She quickly signaled the maid to pick it up.

Jao Phanumas looked at her in suspicion.  "What are you doing Jao Nang Jantra?"  He looked at the oranges.  "Don't tell me.."

She cleared her throat.  "I'm here to feed the kois."

"With oranges?"

"Yes, they're a great nutritious treat for them."

He let out a chuckle and walked toward her.  “They still have plenty of duckweed to eat.”

“For them to eat duckweed all the time is boring.”  Jantra sat on the edge of the pond and began feeding the kois oranges.  “Don’t worry Jao Phanumas, I’m only feeding them a few.  It’s not grapefruit so you don’t have to worry about me overfeeding them.”

Phanumas let out another chuckle.  “You’ve grown up now haven’t you?”

She stopped feeding the kois and looked over at Phanumas.  “I was a child then… what was I supposed to know?”  She stood up and fixed her golden silk skirt.  “Sorry to have disturbed you, I must get going now.  My mother must be looking for me since I’ve been gone for so long.”

“It’s fine.  I couldn’t sleep anyways.”

She looked deeply into his eyes.  “You can tell me your worries… I’m always free.”

He gently patted her shoulder.  “Thank you Jao Nang, but shouldn’t it be me saying that to you instead?  I’m your older brother, so I should have more experiences in comforting others.”  He gave her a little shove.  “Now, now.  Get going.”

“Y-yes.  See you later Jao Phanumas.”  Jantra left in a hurry with her maid following behind and Phanumas returning back into his room.  Jantra looked back and sighed.  “I couldn’t give him the garland I made for him today either.”

“Jao Nang Jantra, do you want me to give it to Jao Phanumas?” asked the maid as she rustled through her clothe bag.

“I appreciate the thought but no thank you.  I’ll try again some other day.”

Thuya was in the marketplace with his friend Nanda listening to the town gossip and the latest news as he went to buy some vegetables for his mother.   He was shocked to hear that there was another death at the riverbed.  “Hey Nanda, are the Siamese people really that evil?”
“Of course they are.  If I could, I would slaughter all of them.” Nanda replied angrily.

Thuya tried calming him down.  “Calm down Nanda.  Calm down.”

“I can’t Thuya.  Every day they are killing our innocent people…”

“I know… but what can we do?  We’ve been at war with them for so long.”

“We can do something.  I’m joining the army.”

“Why Nanda?  It’s so dangerous.”

“I don’t care!  I have nothing else to lose.  I’m an orphan… and plus I already lost … her, Mya.”

“Mya… but Nanda, she wasn’t killed.  She committed suicide.”

Nanda grabbed Thuya by the collar, making Thuya dropped the basket filled with vegetables.  “Lies!  Why would she do such a thing!  My innocent Mya would never do such a terrible thing!  We were to marry at the end of the harvest season.”

Thuya released himself from Nanda’s grasp.  “She was…”

“SHE WAS WHAT?!”

“I don’t know how to say this but…”

“What? SAY IT!”

“Nanda, Mya… Mya was raped a few days before she jumped into the riverbed, drowning herself... “

Nanda fell to his knees and burst into tears.  “Why?  Why didn’t you tell me this before Thuya?”

“Mya came crying to me that night… telling me not to tell you because you would be so hurt.”

“Lies!  It’s not true!”

“It’s the truth Nanda.  Mya probably couldn’t let go of the situation and move on… She was probably too hurt to face you…”

“Mya.. Mya.. I’ll kill those immoral beasts for you!!!”

“Nanda.. “

“Don’t say anything Thuya…  It’s official.  I’m joining the army.  That way I can kill anyone with no penalty.”  He wiped his tears and got up.  “Goodbye my friend.  Until we meet again.”  Nanda walked away.

“Nanda… NANDA!!!!” Thuya continuously called out to him but there was no response.  Thuya then looked over to the sun and prayed to it.  “Oh Sun god, please watch over my friend Nanda.  He’s my dear friend who still has a whole life set out for him to fulfill.  Please protect him from harm’s way.  Please watch over him until we meet again.  I pray to you.. please.”

Sasithorn carefully watched over Aung the whole day as she slowly completed her daily tasks.  She was beginning to be suspicious though since Aung has yet to wake up.  It was already the mid-afternoon but Aung is still asleep.

Sasithorn stopped everything she was doing and went over to Aung.  “Aung, wake up.  It’s already the afternoon.  Aren’t you hungry?”

She leaned closer to Aung and held her hands.   “Aung…. Aung.. AUNG!”
Aung was burning up with a high fever.  “AUNG, wake up!!  Can you hear me?  Wake up..!”  Sasithorn continued trying to wake her up as she held her tightly in her chest.  “Can you hear me Aung?  Please wake up.”

Time slowly passed by and Aung began looking motionless.  Sasithorn just couldn’t believe it.  An invisible sharp pain struck her chest as she let Aung down.  It was now the evening and the sun was beginning to set.

“You’re really cruel Sun god.  Even though she was next to me and out of harm’s way… you still managed to take Aung away from me too!  What did I do to deserve this?  Really, what did I do?  Why can’t you just leave me alone?  Begone!”

Sasithorn wailed heavily as she cover Aung’s body with a worn-out blanket.  “Why are you still so cold despite me giving you all this warmth?  Can’t you feel it Aung?”

“Why do you continue to lay there motionless and pale?”

“There’s no doctor out here, let alone a miracle healer.  I’m sorry I couldn’t do anything to for you Aung.  Please sleep well.  You must be really heartbroken.”

“Even though you are heartbroken… you should know that I am even in more pain because I am the only one left to bear it all in…”

Sasithorn sadly held Aung’s cold hand.  “Goodbye Aung.  Go with Nu.  You two are in a better place now…”

*A/N - I wasn't smooth at writing Aung & Sasithorn's scene at the end of the chapter... I wasn't sure how to explain it.. LOL.  I pictured it but typing it felt off.. so I hope y'all were able to see the passing of time.. yeah? I'm lost myself but Enjoy :)  It focused more on Sasithorn here.. Oh no.. what will it lead to? Gasp!  Anyways, I finally threw in Jantra a bit here :3