New to thai dramas - are they *all* about romance?

oris1024

sarNie Egg
Hello, new guy here

Recently took an interest in the Thai language(/culture). Looking around right now for any eng-subbed dramas that would make for a normal watch, but in multiple forums/blogs/sites all i'm finding is romance.
I have nothing against romance, i just prefer something more human-drama, work-related, would even watch a police or a medical drama if actors are acting like normal humans. Hoping somebody understands what i mean and is kind enough to shed some light on my ignorance or point in the right direction :) thanks

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
I think I know what you're talking about. There are Thai dramas that falls into the action and etc category but it will probably have romance in it and to two mains will most of the time (99%) fall in love at the end.. If I can think of any I'll let you know.. As of now good luck :)

No, definitely not. Thai dramas are not entirely about romance, if that's what you're asking. Yes, Thai dramas normally have romance but it is not the general theme in many. I don't think I can name one lakorn that doesn't have love/romance. But then, if you're looking for realistic dramas, then I recommend checking out Thai sitcoms.

Nud Gub Nud (Nud and Nud)- both male leads have the same name; they become best friends and have a place together (not gay! LOL!). Their daily lives in the cities vary day-to-day and they have the same people in their social circle, regular friends and co-workers and such.
Look Pee Look Nong (Cousins)- male leads are related by marriage. After his uncle marries his aunt, they all move in together and live like one happy family. But, they end up falling for the same woman. Again, daily lives in the city...as normal as you can get.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
I would recommend Raak Boon & Raak Boon 2 though.  That lakorn is more mystery, 6th sense, supernatural, medical (as in the elbalming process), detective based.  Little romance.  In part 2, there's more romance though, but is still similar to the first part.  (I haven't fully finished the second part yet though =] )

Here's more info for RB - http://wiki.asianfuse.net/index.php/Raak_Boon

I think Jan Euy Jan Jao is also a very good one to watch too.  It's also mystery and thriller.  There wasn't really any romance if I recalled.

http://wiki.asianfuse.net/index.php/Jan_Aey_Jun_Jao

I guess you can say these characters are normal beings hehe :p

fun

Expired Sarnie
In Thai lakorn you will probably never find a decent medical theme drama.. well it is not a central theme. I recommend Hormones the series. There are two season which has completed English sub. As far as I am concern, their historical base drama isn't great, action is getting there but it isn't something that is as good as the Korean, Chinese and Japanese action dramas. As for thriller and mystery... well there is likely light romance incorporated in them. 

There are quite a few that doesn't quite center around love and romance but you won't find any available with Eng sub. Neung Ruthai is one that I recommend and hope that one day it will get subbed. If it is not romance then most likely it is a moral centric drama, mainly focusing on family drama with little to no romance.

lovestar

sarNie Adult
Basically.
You should go for the sitcoms as they show different genres in the long run, and its all focused on the storyline more than romance.

oris1024

sarNie Egg
Thanks all for the suggestions and the insight. I think i'm getting the gist of where Thai pop-culture is. Being familiar with japanese, korean, (american and russian) tv scenes, it's a bit surprising, but there are differences between all cultures.
I'll check out suggested series and look into sitcoms, heck maybe even check out a lovah-serie or two xD

fun said:
In Thai lakorn you will probably never find a medical theme drama, well it is not a central theme. I recommend Harmones the series. There are two season which has completed English sub. As far as I am concern, their historical base drama isn't great, action is getting there but it ain't something that is as good as the Korean, Chinese and Japanese action dramas. As for thriller and mystery... Well there is likely light romance incorporated in them.

There are quite a few that doesn't quite center around love and romance but you won't find any available with Eng sub. Neung Ruthai is one that I recommend and hope that ome day it will get subbed. If it is not romance then most likely it is a moral centric drama, mainly focused on family drama with little to no romance.
How did I forget Hormones?!

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
Me searching high and low for non-romance based lakorns too!!

Maybe try a ceewit lakorn like tong neua gao or some country lakorns that focuses on the land and nature

How long is the average sitcom? Not too long right? My interest and attention span doesnt lasts for too long hehe

dariey

sarNie Adult
oh i meet u here bubbles.tq for making this thread oris.

me as a new watcher also search for normal lakorn but most that i found always major on love between 2 main lead except some of it.i'm the person who chase over moral value and slice of life type of drama and it hard to found one.for me its ok if there is romance but as long as it was not the main genre or maybe 50:50 from the entire lakorn like torranee ni nee krai krong.it mix with work,nature,family,friendship and oneself value even there is also romance.

tq again oris for starting this thread and everyone who share the lakorn title.going to check them soon.