Help Finding Hmong Folklore Movie

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Hi all,

I'm in need of some assistant in finding a hmong movie.  I've been in the dark about Hmong movies, but have recently heard about this new hmong movie base on an old folklore.  I don't watch much hmong movies, but I do love listening to hmong folklore/stories so when I heard that this folklore was in production, I had to see it! 

The movie/folklore is about a village that eats their daughter's first born.  According to the folklore, a hmong man fell in love with a girl from another village.  They soon got married and had their first born.  Upon hearing the news, their in-law insist they visit them with their newborn.  The man, not knowing the baby-eating ritual of his wife's village, complied and visited his in-laws.  

I'm curious as to how the producers portray the movie so I am interested in seeing it.  So, have anyone seen it, know the title of the movie, and/or know where I could watch it online (if available)?  

Much thanks!

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
http://youtu.be/cEWGBNUJqsg

The title is Nkauj Hmoob Noj Neeg (aka Cannibalistic Girl). Most people would misunderstand why the title is call to such b/c throughout the movie they didn't see her eat any human at all, but I think what the producer trying to do is refer her to the cannibalistic tribe, not her being a cannibal. In a way, it's all about how back then there were those cannibalistic tribe and how she wished she wasn't one and her mom(wasn't originally one too). In the movie she was mute so she couldn't talk, so she couldn't tell the guy what was going on. I would give this movie a 4.5 out of 5. 

My mom told me this folktale long time ago too. 

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Thank you two so much!  

I give it a 3.5 out of 5.  -.5 for the acting...I think the actress is just a little bit too calm about everything lol it's not a normal parental reaction.  -1 on the editing…it tends to just jump from one scene to another, leaving me puzzled at what's going on (i.e. the dreams).

My mom told me this folktale long time ago too.

Do you mind sharing the folktale?  It's been a while since I've heard it.

p. Zoua

sarNie Oldmaid
Sorry for late replay but yea...
I'm just going to tell from what my mom told. And if something doesn't sound like how anyone heard before please put input too because these stories been past down from people to people and each may differ so feel free. I'm just going to tell like how I can remember from my mom...and it's going to be short b/c i don't really remember much of the details...

A guy marries a girl from another village not knowing that she was a part of the cannibalistic tribe. His wife gives birth to a son. The husband is so happy and wants his wife and them to go visit her parents to rejoice with them about the news. But the wife tries to come up with excuses not to go, but in the end, they ended up going to visit the in-laws. They arrived to the in-laws place and they were preparing to have some sort of feast. As the son-in-law noticed, his father has been coughing a lot and looking sick. His wife was called to the kitchen for helping out. All the guys gathered in the main room of the house and then all of a sudden all the guys stands up and catches the father in-law and ties him up.The son-in-law watches in confusion and disbelief. The father-in-law faces the son-in-law and tells him "Mis vaus aws, tsheb kuv ces tas lis nos laws xwbs os. Kuv tws tsis zoo laws ces laws yuav nos kuv uab nteb. Koj nyob nos ces saim kuv tus maos os..." (My son in law, this is it for me. I'm not good anymore so they're going to eat me first. You stay and watch my daughter..) The guys of the house hold carries him away and all he could hear is the pounding of axes, knives chopping, and wailing of the father-in-law outside. Terrified and scared, he sneaks to the bedroom where his son is sleeping. He then hears one of the brothers come inside and goes to his wife. "Maos, nam nes npas es pes yuav muas as mos rau hauv thiab os...." (Sister, mom and you guys prepare. we're going to put [your] little baby in there as well....) With that the brother goes back outside. The son-in-law quickly grabbed his belongings and his son and runs for the door but he bumps into one of the brothers.

"Yawm yis, koj mus dlab tsi?" (Brother in law, where are you going?) The son-in-law pushes him and runs away. The guys chases after him. He runs and hides somewhere and they passed him. He makes his way back but notices some footsteps following him. He turns and finds that it's his wife. He yells at her for her to go back to her cannibalistic tribe and he don't want anything to do with her. She cries and begs him and says that it's only her family/tribe/clan that is like that. She's not like that and she had no choice. So he lets her go back with him to his village. He tells the elders and people of his village. They gather as many people as possible and with weapons, they go to the cannibal village and tied everyone up and they were forced to give up their cannibalistic ways. If not then they would be killed or slayed. 

The wife and son-in-law are back at their home. The husband is in the living room by the fire place, sitting next to the door. The wife is outside giving the son and bath and she's washing her son. She touches his little penis and says "Oh, mis tus aws, zoo kawg koj txiv cos koj los laws os. Los tsi lis ces kuv mis tus nos twb tsis muab nos laws os...."(Oh my son. Good thing your dad took you or else my son here would've not been here anymore....) The Husband gets offended and goes yell at her for her not to talk like that again or else he'll end it with her. End of story...

I don't remember much of it but yes, that how I remember my mom told me. In a way, it is wrong to be cannibalistic, but I'd say if it's their practice and culture, then....sound kinda wierd/crazy of me to say this but.....wait nvm. LOLXD I don't know where Im going but yes. In a way, she tried to prevent the guy from going but it was his own fault he wanted to go himself, but I'd say he's being a good son-in-law too so yea. Problems, problems, problems. I don't know if the girl of the story was actually mute or not like in the movie but yea. There was a story of some sort like this. There were probably other cannibalistic tribes too but my mom said they became "normal" or something after that incident or whatever....who knows...there may still be other ones out there too...XD

sin2su

sarNie Egg
Interesting...  Thank you for sharing your version of the folklore.  There are so many versions of these folklores, we may never know which is the original lol  The version I heard, said that the son-in-law's returned to his village and gathered as many men as he could and they journey out to slay all cannibalism tribes…  Out of fear, survivors of cannibalism tribes stopped their cannibal ways and practice.  I cannot recall much of the story so I could be remembering it incorrectly.  

I do agree that people are entitled to their culture, custom and practices as long as they don't force it upon others.  In the case of this folklore, they pushed their belief and practices on the son-in-law who did not believe in their practices.  I do believe the folklore mention something along the line that the cannibalism family only use their daughter's first born (if it is a son) for their ritual…something about using the child's genitals for the ritual.  

What I don't understand is…how come the cannibal tribes didn't use their son's first born and not their daughters'?  It would be keeping the tradition within the tribe, would it not?  I get that if the children wed within the tribe…the son's first born (if it's a son) would still be used for ritual by his in-laws…but like in this story…daughters will leave when they marry.  There is no guarantee that daughters will marry within the tribe or into tribes with the same practice.  Call me old fashion, but as our grandparents and elders would always say…when you marry your husband, you must follow his custom and practice.  Meaning, the daughter should have been exempted from the cannibal practice when she wed outside of the tribe.  Of course it is not the case in this folklore…  But wouldn't it be so much easier to use their "son's first son" instead?  Sons are more likely to stay within their tribe and family (forever during those era), and wed girls from outside the tribe and bring them in.  But I guess if they were to do that, they wouldn't be able to lure in girls from other tribes lol  

A little side politic...I think using the term "daughter's first son" is a way for the tribe to look down on their female residents.  Using the first son as a ritual offering, I suppose is another way of upholding the male importance in a tribe.  But yeah…I'll spare the rest of the hmong politic lol