Deun (Beau Savitree)​
Win (PJ Kawin)​
Karn (Toey Pongsakorn)​
Pheung (Prang Kannarun)​
Phet (Phet Takrit)​
Phao (Wawwa Nichari)​

Chapter 1

“P’Karn? Are you ready?”

Facing the mirror, Karn slid his eyes over to see Deun come in.

“Wow!” Deun walked over to him as he turned to smile at her. “You look so…”

“Do I look strange?”

“No way.” She smoothed his formal white jacket. “You look handsome like always. Today you look like a hero from the olden days.”

He laughed at his sister’s comment. “Don’t tease me.”

“I’m serious. Keep up that bright, pearly smile too! I was just over to see p’Pheung. She’s so beautiful that you won’t be able to help falling in love with her for sure.”

Her words reminded him that he and the woman getting engaged to him today did not already love each other. Karn wondered at how he hadn't grown used to that fact yet. It was enough that Pheung was the woman of any man's dreams.

Deun winced, noticing his eyes fall to the ground. She then smiled to encourage him. “I should get back to helping mom. It’s almost time to start. Sit tight, okay?” He squeezed her hand in thanks for her support.

“Deun.” She turned back before closing the door. She was dressed in traditional Thai clothing as well, for the occasion. “You look beautiful today too.”

“Thanks, p’Karn.”

“But don’t let your own engagement come too soon.”

She rolled her eyes. “P’Karn, you haven’t changed one bit.” Even when it was his engagement day, he still made the effort to be protective of her.

Deun had left for a few minutes. Someone knocked at the door.

“Come in,” Karn said. The two men who entered brought Karn back to his feet, a grin stretching across his lips. “You’re here!”

“Wouldn’t miss this for the world.” Phet came over and hugged Karn hard. Karn then turned to the next man.

“Win.” It had been a few months since Karn had seen Phet, but with Win, they hadn’t met face to face in over two years.

“Look at the groom.” Win’s serious face broke out in a smile as he returned Karn’s hug. “I always knew you would be the first to commit.”

“I’m not a groom yet. This is just the engagement.”

“Talking like you don’t know what comes next,” Phet said, taking a seat. “So? How do you feel?”

“Well, hasn’t it been a long time now since Mr. Psychologist tried analyzing my feelings?” Karn joked. The trio smiled, recalling their time together in college. Phet had been the psychology major, practicing his counseling skills on his two buddies. “I’m anticipating your new book.”

Phet said, “I’ll reserve a special copy for you both, with an autograph, and a bookmarked chapter for your personal issues and everything.”

“And you, Win? I haven’t heard from you in a while. Taking care of business, as usual?”

Win smiled. “Letting the real bosses take care of business as usual, you mean? I’m still just a shareholder.” Win had inherited a golf club business from his parents, though he still hadn’t felt interested in taking over. His uncle was the current CEO.

“I hear they’re holding the upcoming international tournament at your course.”

“Uncle Mee and the manager will make sure things go well. Let’s not talk about business. So how long have you known your betrothed?” Win asked. He picked up an invitation, identical to the one he had received in the mail earlier that year. Win had been pleasantly surprised to see the name of his cousin printed next to Karn's name on the card. He thought about revealing this fun fact, but Karn and Phet would find out soon enough. Win hated spoiling surprises, anyway.

“A year or so.” Karn caught Win and Phet watching him. “What? You guys look like you’re trying to read my mind.”

“We’ve never been able to read your mind. Your face is quite telling though,” Phet said. Karn, the mature, unbiased military man, never managed to be anything but transparent when he was around the people he loved. “You still haven’t answered me. How do you feel?”

Karn matched their gazes and finally replied. “I feel fine. Today is a good day. I’m gaining a good person in my life. My parents are happy, and that’s what matters.”

Phet and Win exchanged silent looks. Win took a deep breath. “Well, congratulations. It’s good to see that you’re moving forward like this. Looks like Phet and I will have to catch up.”

Karn looked at him skeptically. “I’ve never seen you interested in settling down.” In fact, Karn couldn’t recall Win ever being in a relationship before.

“I’m just trying to make you feel better now that you’re going to give up your bachelor life.”

Karn grinned. It was good to see Win laughing. He remembered years ago in school when Win would go days just keeping his thoughts to himself. When that happened back then, no matter how Karn and Phet probed him, Win would never give in to sharing his thoughts with them.

“I’m glad you’re both here to witness this day for me,” Karn said. “Come on. It’s about time you two got to meet my dad and sister.” Karn’s parents divorced when he was fifteen, and Win and Phet had only met Karn’s mother before.

“Your sister finished school in San Diego then?” Win asked.

“Yup,” Karn said proudly as they headed out from his room to the living room where many guests were gathered.

“I wonder if she ever had a boyfriend while she was over there,” Phet said, earning an un-amused side look from Karn. Phet and Win hid their laughs, both knowing well that Karn put himself in the place of bodyguard when it came to his sister. “Remember when you considered skipping your finals because you heard that your sister was meeting up with a male classmate?”

“And it turned out that they were just working on a project together?”

“Because that’s what normal high school students do?”

“Are you two here to mock me, or congratulate me?” Karn asked as the other two broke their contained laughter. They shushed down once they reached the stairs, politely greeting the family and guests who were now waiting for the formal ceremony to begin.

“Dad.” Karn introduced his two friends to his father.

“So these are the gentlemen who helped keep you out of trouble in school?” his dad said. The men grinned at one another.
“Karn has told me a lot about both of you. I’m glad he has good friends around him, especially two men who are intelligent and well-respected.”

“And where is your fiancée?” Phet asked to Karn.

“She’ll be down soon. I’ll go grab you guys some drinks.”

Win held up his hand. “We’ll manage. Today, you just focus on you and don’t worry about taking care of us. I’ll go get drinks.” He left the others to get to the refreshments and snacks.

[SIZE=11pt]He paused to admire a beautiful fruit carving displayed in the center of the snacks table. As he followed the shape of leaf hearts, his eyes refocused on a person standing beyond the table by the entrance to the house. She wore a Thai dress. Win blinked, as if the image of her was one from a dream. He watched her smile at some of the guests, and her smile struck him in the chest. She looked familiar. Win forgot what he was doing. When she exited through the doors, his feet instinctively followed her.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]------A/N[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Title inspired from "Ter Kheu Khrai," the theme song of "Tawee Pope."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]Goodness. What am I doing. Let's see how this story goes. Su su for Bangrajun! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]T-T[/SIZE]

jjinxx

OHOaddict

The Dahlia Goddess
Rak na ja. Oohh my goodness. I can already picture him being mesmerized by her beauty. Thanks girl! WWoohoo ff all the way!

jjinxx

Is your "nom" Fai-approved?
Chapter 2

Win slipped past the guests crowded in the hall. The urgency inside his chest flared, making him breathless as his eyes remained on the woman walking outside.

Deun thanked the family friends who helped set up the alms table by the house gates. “Please go rest inside. The ceremony will start soon.”
Left alone, Deun peered down the street both ways, excited for her big brother. She moved a bowl so that it sat straight in line with the rest of the bowls, all the while in deep thought about Karn.

She knew for a while now that he wasn’t in love with Pheung. Deun and Pheung had known each other for a few years, having met each other in the U.S. She knew Pheung was a wonderful person who matched her brother in disposition and status, but Deun still felt sorry that her brother was following their parents’ wishes without any consideration for himself. Only once had he objected to the matchmaking, asking if it wasn’t too soon for an engagement. But their parents assured him that he and Pheung were at an age where they should settle down together and love would come later.
Deun frowned, thinking that as much as she loved her parents, they couldn’t foretell the future. They themselves had gotten a divorce after over fifteen years of marriage. She didn’t want Karn to suffer from his filial personality. He always tried to take responsibility for anything that would make their mom and dad happy, and her too.

Sensing another person, Deun turned. A man stood near the driveway. He stared at her with an intensity she had never felt before. Deun looked around. No one else was with them. Why was he looking at her like that?

Win could only hear his heart pumping at that moment, as if it had come alive just then. The woman standing before him, wearing Thai clothing, was someone he had seen before. She was someone he knew. An image of her crossed his mind, stabbing a migraine into his temples. Win hunched forward, his head in his hand.
“Are you okay?” Deun hurried to his side. “Hey, are you okay?”

P’Sang?

Win groaned, his face twisting in pain. Why was he hearing her voice inside his head?

Deun looked back at the house. Everyone must be inside already. “Khun. Let’s go inside. I’ll find some medicine for you. Or do you need to go to the hospital?”

Trying to keep his breathing even, Win looked up at her. Deun hesitated. The intensity had returned to his eyes. Suddenly, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her close.

“Hey! Let go!”

P’Sang! Let go of me!

“If you don’t let go—“

If you don’t let go, I’m going to scream.

“Hey! What do you think you’re doing?” Deun shouted when he dragged her past the gate. “Let me go right now!” She slapped his hand. “Help!”

Win unlocked his door, pushed her inside and forced her to scoot from the driver’s side to the passenger’s side. It took her a few seconds to untangle her feet in her dress and fix herself in the seat. By then, he was already starting the car. Deun tugged roughly at the door handle but he took off on the road. She banged on the window, continuing to yell as he drove off.

------
“Where did he go?” Phet looked around the room for Win. His eyes stopped at the head of the stairs, where a woman was descending. She was beautiful, and dressed in a pink Thai dress, adorned with gold accessories that added to her radiance. A smile graced his face as he recognized her, the woman whom he’d once seen during a conference panel interview. Phet snapped back to the present when heard the people around her murmur that she is the fiancee-to-be of Karn.

Karn met Pheung at the bottom of the stairs with their family. He smiled at her and held his hand up for her to grab onto. Pheung took it. She looked around the room as relatives all stared and smiled. Pheung felt Phao, her cousin, touch her arm. Phao stood next to Phoo, Pheung’s brother. She smiled at them both.

Karn looked around. “Where is Deun?”

“She went to look at the alms table. She’ll be back soon,” his mother said. “Come, son. Bring nu Pheung to sit down.”

While he sat with Pheung, he asked, “Are you tired?”

She replied, “I’m fine. Your mom took care of everything.”

He looked back up. It’s time to start already, but he still doesn’t see Deun.

“What is she playing around so long for?” His mom purses her lips.

“I can go call her inside,” Phao said.

“Let me go instead,” Phet offered. Another guest got up with him to look around the backyard. Phet hurried out to the front of the house. It was quiet, with only some people taking walks outside the gates. He walked out to the street and paused when he saw the empty space behind his own car where Win had parked when they both got there.

Phet made his way in and lowered himself beside Karn. “Karn. I didn’t see anyone outside.”

The other guest who searched the back and upstairs also returned without seeing her.

Karn frowned with distress. “Where could she have disappeared to?”

While his parents apologized to the guests for the hold-up, Karn, Phet, and more relatives searched the house and outside again. 

“She’s not here?” his father asked.

“No, dad. Her phone was left in her room too.” Karn gripped his cell phone in his hand.

“Your cousin went to the nearby stores to see if she tried to run some errands. They might be on their way back with her now.”

Karn tried to remain calm the way his father was. But once their relatives returned with no better clues, Karn started to imagine the worst. “What if something happened to her?”

------
“Who are you? If you don’t stop the car now, I’m going to jump out of here!”
When the man didn’t respond, Deun turned to the window. She hesitated. He was driving so fast that if she jumped, her chances of surviving were slim. And they had already reached the freeway. What if no one came to help her after she jumped and she got too injured to find help?

“Don’t jump, please.”

She turned her sharp glare back at him. “Are you going to stop the car then?” Instead, he glanced at her with a frown weighing his lips. “If you don’t take me back home right now, once my dad and brother find you, you won’t survive for sure. And how did you come to be inside my house? Tell me right now, you psycho. Only family and friends were invited to p’Karn’s engagement.”

He blinked in surprise. “You’re Karn’s sister.” So that’s why she looked familiar. He must have seen her photo somewhere in Karn’s house in the past. Win’s frown deepened when he couldn’t shake the feeling that he knew her from somewhere else. And he couldn’t bring himself to stop the car until he figured it out.

“How do you know p’Karn?”

Win said, “I’m his friend.”

“You’re lying. P’Karn would never have a friend who’s crazy like this.”

“I’m not crazy!”

He startled her when he yelled. Then Deun screamed, “Be careful!”

Win steered his car sharply back into the right lane as another vehicle passed them. He breathed heavily, focusing back on the road. Deun hurried and put her seatbelt on.

“Hey you. If you’re not crazy, you still aren’t feeling well. Back at my house, you didn’t feel well, isn’t that right? We should go to a hospital. You can’t be driving in this condition, it’s not safe! I don’t want to die!”
Win swore under his breath. Now was not the time for the old symptoms to resurface. His head pounded. He knew she was right. Win slowed the car and stopped it on the side of the road. Deun tried to steady her breathing, then she unbuckled herself and hurried to get out of the car. Searching the roads, she cursed when she didn’t see any other vehicles.

“Wait!” Win was outside now too.

“Don’t come near me,” she said, stepping away from him.

Win stopped. “Look, I’m sorry.” She maintained her wary posture. “I-I just had to…” He couldn’t explain it out loud. Heck, he couldn’t explain it to himself—the urgent sense of needing to be with her, of knowing her, yet not knowing how. It felt like an old dream he had been battling for ages. He tried to take a deep breath. “I don’t know what came over me. Please. Get back in and I’ll take you home.”

She didn’t believe him, he could tell from looking at her face.

“I promise.”

Deun weighed her options. What if he didn’t keep his promise? What if he went crazy again? She wished she had her cell phone with her. Then, hearing another car engine get near, Deun decided to take her chances. “I’ll get back in.”

“Okay.” Win slowly backed his way to the car, trying not to scare her. He opened her door for her. Deun took one step towards him. Next thing he knew, she had turned around and was running the opposite direction. “Hey!”

“Help! Help me!” she yelled, waving her arms at the car approaching them. The car stopped. “Help!”

Two guys got out and shouted, “Are you trying to die? Why are you in the middle of the road?”

“Help me, please!” She looked back to where Win. He stood near, heart dropping at the situation he had created.

The guys glanced at each other. “Why is this girl here, dressed like this?”

“Maybe she’s looking for business.” They laughed.

Deun felt her stomach turn to ice, seeing there were two more guys in the back, and only then did the two who were outside show a cruel glint in their eyes.

“It was a misunderstanding,” Win said. “Deun, let’s go back.”

“O-okay.”

“Hold on,” one of the guys said. “She wanted us to help her. Who the hell are you?”

“My name is Win.” Win forced himself to speak calmly. “I’m with her. We’re sorry to have inconvenienced you, but we’ll let you be on your way now.”

“Win,” Deun whispered. She’d heard that name from Karn before. So he really was her brother’s friend.

“Not so fast. Maybe we want to stick around. We don’t meet angels like her every day.” One guy laughed. Deun started moving towards Win again.
“Where are you going? Didn’t you stop us because you wanted our help?”

Deun shook her head. “I don’t need help anymore. I’m sorry, and thank you.”

“Come on, you’re coming with us.”

Deun and Win caught each others’ gazes. They heard another door open. “Get in the car,” Win told her. Deun took a deep breath and ran. Win ran past her in the opposite direction. She looked over her shoulder and saw that he had kicked one of the guys who chased after her.

Another guy caught up to her. Digging her fingers into the hand that had grabbed her shoulder, Deun swung her elbow around to catch his jaw, then kicked him behind the knee, following with a heavy blow to the back of his neck. With her dress torn from the force of her kick, she made longer, quicker strides and made it inside the car. She closed the door and locked it just in time, screaming as another guy slammed into the door and knocked it angrily.

She saw Win appear, pulling the guy away to punch him. Deun watched, horrified when another one knocked Win over the head with a crowbar. He fell to the ground.

“Shit!” She frantically searched the car and found an open toolbox. Grabbing a wrench, Deun pushed the door open and without thinking, she hit as hard as she could, making one of the baddies stumble. He turned to her but fell. Win had kicked him in the shin. Win got to his feet, blood dripping down his face onto his neck. Deun gasped when another one tried to hit him with the crowbar again. He blocked it, took hold of the piece of metal and kicked the guy in the gut. Without pause, he took the crowbar and used it like a sword to beat the remaining two guys.

Deun’s body froze in place, witnessing the violent scene in front of her. She knew he was defending them, yet his movements scared her. A few seconds ago, he seemed to be unconscious on the ground and now a whole different person was in his place. Deun came to her senses just in time, seeing the guy she had hit earlier get up. She ran and struck him again in the head as hard as she could. Another car came into view. Deun started running towards it.

“Help! Help us!” Please don’t let this be more thugs. The car stopped and a male and female couple got out, asking what was going on. “Please help us!” she yelled.

“Deun!”

Deun turned back, hearing Win’s voice. She took a hesitant step towards him. Blood stained one side of his face. His eyes blazed. He made his way to her.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

Deun nodded. “You’re hurt. We need to go—“

He placed his hands on either side of her face, quieting her. “You’re okay,” he said, breathing a sigh of relief. She felt him press his forehead to hers. Then he collapsed. [SIZE=11pt]“Hey!” She tried to keep a hold of him. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666669845581px]------A/N[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14.6666669845581px]Teehee.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6666669845581px]jjinxx[/SIZE]

OHOaddict

The Dahlia Goddess
@jjinxx I was happy yet sad at the same time but more happy of course. BR is constantly replaying in my mind. :,( thank you. This was a remarkable meeting they had. Phet, Pheung, and Karn drama!!!! Su su na. :)

elegantnas21

sarNie Hatchling
Love the story so far...keep it coming #SUANG #PRAHET #BANGRAJUN. I love the feisty Duen and aggressive Win, cant wait for Phet and Pheung stroy to blossom...

jjinxx

Chapter 3

Deun waited outside one of the hospital rooms. She had just gotten done with filing a statement with a police officer, who released her, saying they would return once Win woke up.

“Oh god, I need to call home.” Who knew what her family was going through trying to find her. She was about to get up, but a nurse appeared.

“Miss, the patient is conscious. His doctor is here to examine him too.”

Deun nodded to the nurse and greeted the doctor. She followed them into the room and craned her neck to look at Win. The doctor checked Win’s vitals and said, “Win, it’s me, Dr. Suriyachad. Can you recognize me?”

“Doctor.” His voice sounded weak.

“I’m giving you a pain reliever and sedative. You need rest.”

As if understanding, he pressed his head back against the pillow in pain and lied still.

“Doctor, how is he?” Deun asked, once the examination was over and the doctor finished instructing the nurse about Win’s medicine. Win’s eyes had fallen closed after receiving the sedative.

“He’s stable at the moment. His old symptoms have just come up again due to trauma from his head wound.”

“Old symptoms?” she asked. “What do you mean?”

“The car accident he was in when he was younger. It resulted in severe head trauma. At its worst, he would black out and wake up with nightmares. As he improved, it turned into migraines. He hasn’t been like this in a while.” The doctor checked her notes. A needle of guilt pricked at Deun’s neck. If she hadn’t been so hasty, Win might not have gotten so hurt.

“You’ve worked with him since he was a child?”

The doctor nodded. “I’ll keep him here at least until tomorrow and then I’ll know when he can leave.”

“Thank you.” Deun looked over at the bed. “Oh, where can I find a phone?”

Deun made the dreaded call home. Her father answered and she could hear Karn in the back stacking many more questions upon the simple ones her father asked.

“Your mother and I will be there as soon as possible.”

“Okay, dad.” She heard Karn say, “Let me talk to her.” Deun bit her lip.

“Deun?”

“P’Karn.” She felt her eyes burn with tears. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I ruined your special day.”

“You don’t need to worry about that. You’re not hurt, right?”

She sniffled. “I’m fine at the moment.”

“But dad said you’re at the hospital!”

“I…” She glanced at Win. “P’Karn. Win is here. He’s the one that’s hurt.”

“Win?” She could already see the shock in his face. “What—“

She heard her father tell Karn that they should hurry and save the questions for later.

“Deun, we’re coming. Don’t go anywhere, got it?”

“Yes.”

Not long after, as she sat beside the bed, Win started moving in his sleep.

“No,” he mumbled.

Deun peered at him with concern. He kept saying no, shaking his head. Her anxiety rising, Deun stood and leaned over him. “Khun Win?”

He opened his eyes, though they weren’t focused. “Please, I have to help her…”

“Win?” She touched his arm.
Suddenly, he looked up at her. He searched her face, pain pooling in his eyes. “Juang?” He grimaced. Deun reached for the call button.

“Win!” She didn’t know what to do or say when he was obviously in pain. When he grabbed her hand, she squeezed back. “You have to be okay, Win.” His eyes drifted out of focus, and then he was gone again. “Win!”

------
Deun met with her family in the hospital lobby. She had decided to leave Win to the care of the medical professionals.

“Deun, are you okay?” Her mother eyed her torn clothing in shock. “Who did this to you?”

Words resisted as she tried to say something.

“Deun, tell me. What happened?” Karn asked.

“I’m not hurt, p’Karn.”

“You’re sure? And what about Win?”

“He’s sleeping. The doctor treated him just now. I think he’s doing okay.” She could tell they were waiting for more explanation. “Uh, we…we were attacked.”

“By who?” Karn demanded.

“I don’t know, p’Karn. The police took them into custody already. They—they were going to hurt us, so Win had to fight them. And then, well, they kept fighting and one of them hit Win, so his head got hurt pretty bad. Nothing happened to me, don’t worry.” She continued her halting story, unsure how to include the part about Win driving them off in the first place.

“And how did you come to be with Win so far from home?” her father asked.

Deun kept her eyes on the ground. “Uh, I…”

“Karn!” Phet ran up to them. “Where’s Win?”

“His room is upstairs, in 245.” Before more questions could be asked, Deun said, “Mom, please, I want to go home. I’m tired.”

Her mom nodded, putting an arm around her.

Karn looked at Phet, who said, “Go ahead, Karn. I’ll check in on Win.”

Deun hurried to lead the way, leaving her family to follow her without answers.

Deun felt the tension leaving her body as she sat silently in the back seat of the car. She felt her brother look over at her now and then, but he and their parents allowed her space for now. Her mind flashed between each incident that had happened that long day. None of Win’s actions made sense. His words didn’t make sense either. Juang. That’s the name he called her. But he seemed to know she was Karn’s sister. Deun let her head fall back on the headrest. She might have to go back to ask for that sedative from the doctor if this mess didn’t clear up in her head soon.

------
Deun had just finished dressing and was seated on her bed when someone knocked on her door. “Yes?”

“Deun, may I come in?”

“Yes, p’Karn.”

Karn closed the door and pulled a chair to sit in front of her. He opened his mouth to speak, but she held up her hand.

“P’Karn. Before you say anything, I have some questions I need to ask you.”

“What could you need to ask me?” He frowned in confusion.

“Just answer what I ask, na? It’s important.”

He nodded.

“Win is really a friend of yours?”

“That’s right. We met in college. With Phet, all three of us were close.”

“Then, did you know that Win was in an accident when he was young?”

“Yes. Win lost his parents in that car accident, both of them.”

Deun gaped, taken aback by the depth of his loss. “Uh, so did Win ever mention to you that the accident caused him to have physical injuries that affect him even until now?”

Karn thought back. “Mm. I remember that he sometimes had bad headaches and he said it’s a lingering side effect from the head injuries.”

“And, uh…” Deun hesitated. “Don’t take this the wrong way, okay? Um, so then, Win? Is he, like, significantly affected by those headaches? You know? He’s normal, right?”

“Are you asking if he has mental illness?”

Deun nodded.

Karn managed a quirked smile. “He’s fine. He graduated all the way through his MBA. Does someone like that seem like they would have a mental illness?”

“Really?”

“So what are all these questions from?” Karn asked.

“It’s really strange, p’Karn.” She recounted to him what happened earlier that day, when Win had come outside and then pulled her to his car.

“That doesn’t make any sense.”

“I have another question. Do you know a woman named Juang?”

Karn shook his head.

“Are you sure? Khun Win never mentioned her to you? Maybe she’s his girlfriend?”

“Win’s not dating anyone. Why?”

Deun realized she was leaning in really far, so she sat straight again under her brother’s scrutiny. “He called me ‘Juang.’ I thought maybe he was, well…”

“You think he was having, what? Hallucinations?”

“I don’t know,” she sighed in frustration. “What am I going to tell mom and dad?”

Karn understood her dilemma a little better now, though he was just as confused.

“And what about p’Pheung and her family? They must be very upset.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll take care of that.” He reassured her.

“They won’t cancel your betrothal, right, p’Karn?” Deun wouldn’t be able to tolerate being the cause of messing up the arrangement between Karn and Pheung. “Mom and Dad are probably stressed out about it now.”

“Mom and Dad will be stressed out if you had gotten hurt. The only thing that matters is that you and Win are alright. Look, I don’t know if Win had any bad intentions when he took you away. From what I know of him as a friend, he’s one of the gentlest people I’ve ever met. He wouldn’t hurt a person for fun and he doesn’t go looking for trouble.”

Deun almost shivered, recalling how fierce Win had been when fighting with those thugs.

“It might be what you think, that his past injuries caused him to act out. But we don’t know for sure. Get some rest and we’ll talk more tomorrow.”

Early the next morning, Karn woke up to go to the hospital.

“P’Karn. Where are you going?”

“Hospital to see Win.”

“I’ll go too.”

“Are you sure? Maybe you should stay?”

“Staying home won’t help anything. Let’s go.”

------
They met with Phet  and talked out in the hallway of the hospital wing where Win was staying.

“So Win might not have been acting consciously.” Phet was listening as Karn shared what he’d found out from Deun. “And Deun? What are you thinking of doing now?”

The tension from yesterday had all returned to her now. “I don’t know.”

“I’ll ask directly then. Are you going to press charges against Win?”

Deun looked up in surprise. She hadn’t considered it before.

Karn watched her intently. He worried for her, but he worried for his friend as well. He didn’t want either of them to end up hurt by this situation. “Deun, whatever you decide, I want you to think fully.”

Deun dropped her eyes away from them. How was she supposed to condemn a person who might be psychologically ill. Even though he had initiated this whirlwind of events, Win hadn’t hurt her. They had helped protect each other.

The three of them heard a loud sound from inside Win’s room. Deun pushed the door open and they all hurried inside. They found Win on the floor.
Deun was at his side first. “Are you hurt?”

Win looked up at her, recognizing her. “I’m not. I’m okay ja, Deun.” Yes, she was Deun. He was glad to see she didn’t look hurt either.

Karn and Phet exchanged puzzled looks. Win had referred to himself as ‘pee’ and spoken familiarly with Deun.

He was more relaxed than yesterday, and though his eyes were just as attentive to her as before, they were calm. Deun found Win’s gentle expression reassuring, her heart felt at ease. She was about to help him up, but caught Karn and Phet watching.

She backed off. “Uh, p’Karn, help him.”

The guys helped him up and got him back onto the bed.

Phet asked, “Where were you trying to go?”

“I just wanted to try getting out of bed.” Win glanced at Deun.

Karn noticed and said, “So you two met yesterday. This is Deun, my sister.”

Win nodded, keeping his eyes on her until he caught himself. “I’m sorry for what happened yesterday.” He spoke formally to her this time. “I didn’t mean to get you hurt. I’ll accept responsibility for everything.”

Deun heard the determination in his voice but didn’t know how to respond.

“Don’t talk like that, Win. You’re not a criminal,” Karn said.

“But it was my fault. I’m sure you all were worried. I’m truly sorry, Karn.”

“Okay, okay. I’m not blaming you. But Win, have you not been feeling well again?”

“It’s been a long time since I got migraines like this. I don’t know what triggered them.” He glanced at Deun, remembering her in her traditional clothing. “I just felt like…” He shook his head. There was no way he could explain any of yesterday without sounding crazy. “I mean it. I’m taking responsibility for this mess.”

“The real bad people have already been caught. The police said they would come by today to document your statement,” Deun stated. She tried to sound neutral as possible. “I—I’m not going to hold you accountable for yesterday.”

“But I’m the one who caused it.”

“I was the one who waved their car down.”

“I drove us both there. Who knows how much worse things could’ve turned out?”

“I know that, but we fought to protect ourselves.”

“But they could have overpowered you. They could have done more.”

“I know! But they didn’t, and you helped keep them from doing anything more.”

“I’m still the one at fault.”

“But you didn’t do anything bad!”

“But something bad happened!”

“Oi! Fine! Do what you want.” Deun got up. “Turn yourself in to the police then, go ahead!” 

“Deun, wait!” Karn said as she marched towards the door.

She pulled the door open and stepped out, only to see her parents walking down the hall. “Mom. Dad.”

Deun shrank a little in her chair, while her mother and father sat on the couch. Phet was beside Win’s bed, with Karn. All eyes moved back and forth between her and Win.

“Tell us now, Deun. What happened?” her father asked.

“It’s like I told the police. Some weird people tried to mug us.”

“We know. But how did the two of you get to be that far from home on the day of your brother’s engagement ceremony?”

Deun gulped. “It, well, it just happened.”

Her mom was solemn. “Did you two plan to elope?”

“What?” Deun exclaimed at the same as Win. They looked at each other, then started denying this accusation.

“No, mom, that’s not what happened!”

“We weren’t planning anything like that.”

“Why would you think something crazy like that? We only met each other yesterday.”

Her mother reached in her purse and laid the newspaper in front of her. “There’s news in the paper today that covers the attack you two faced. In the article, they wrote that you two ‘appear to be a couple eloping.’”

Deun sent Karn a horrified look. He went over to read the papers. “They identified both of you too.” Of course, Win being a shareholder of a well-known business would make him easily recognizable. Deun too, was the daughter of a well-respected retired military general.  “Mom, they may have covered the facts, but they spun in gossip too. You know that journalists want to add speculation to everything.”

“It was my fault,” Win said.

Deun’s eyes cut across the room at him, silently pressing at him to be quiet. Her parents might not be as understanding as she was and then things would get more complicated.

Win started saying, “It was like this—“

“Khun Win wasn’t feeling well yesterday. He looked like he was in a lot of pain. I wasn’t thinking, so I decided to drive him to the hospital.” Win frowned at her. Deun kept going. “I realize that I should have let everyone know, and maybe I should have let someone else take him, but at the time I must have panicked. I’m sorry Mom, Dad.”

“No, it wasn’t because of her. It was because I was reckless.”

“You can stop blaming yourself already.”

“I am the one to blame.” Win shook his head with impatience at her. “Stop trying to cover for me.”

“I’m not,” Deun said sharply. “You need to stop arguing.”

“I’m trying to tell the truth.”

“I’m already telling the truth.”

“I have to be responsible for this.”

“There’s nothing for you to be responsible for!”

“We got into that situation because of me. Why do you keep caring so much that you won’t let me just own up to it?”

“Because I don’t want a person who’s already hurt to be more hurt!”

“What are you talking about?”

“You know what I’m talking about.”

“Hold on, you two. There’s no need to fight about this,” Phet said, glancing at the parents in fear that they felt disrespected. “I get that you want to protect each other—“

“No,” they both said. Deun glared at Win in anger. He returned the sentiments clearly.

“I don’t care anymore. Go ahead and lock yourself in jail then, you stubborn person!” she said

“You’re the stubborn person.”

“Enough, already!” Karn interrupted them. Win and Deun sat facing each other off—his jaw clenched, her lips pursed. “It’s clear that the two of you are still stressed out from facing harm yesterday. Dad, I suggest that you, Mom, and Deun go home.”

Their dad thought. “Yes. Since both of them are not yielding to the same explanation, we will go home. If what your sister spoke of was true, then there’s nothing more to be discussed. Khun Win, I hope you recover soon. Good bye.”

Win thanked him. He watched as Deun left, not taking a second look back at him. He lay back in the bed, frustration clouding his mind, a headache working its way towards his eyes.

“You okay, Win?” Phet asked, seeing him in discomfort.

Win nodded at him, then froze. He watched as Phet’s worried face looked back at him, but it didn’t seem like the same person. The image floated in and out of focus. “Phet?”

“Yeah?”

Win blinked hard. The person who had looked like Phet morphed into his friend, in his normal shirt and slacks. Win moved his eyes up and down to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating.

“What’s going on? Do you need a nurse?”

“No.” He closed his eyes. “You guys can go back home. I’ll be fine now. I’m going to sleep.” He lied still, hoping his friends would leave so he wouldn’t have to open his eyes to see strangers who looked like Phet and Karn, and have to question his sanity again.

Karn said to Phet, “Are you lodged nearby?”

“Yeah, my hotel is close.”

Not wanting to disturb Win, they went out in the hallway.

“I called his uncle. He’s on his way to see him.”

“Good,” Karn said. “Look, if you’re not in a hurry to get back to work, you should come stay at my house until returning home.”

Phet smiled. “Thanks for the invite. Your mom won’t mind?”

“She knows you and Win are my friends. Just come over when you’re ready.”

------A/N
Thanks for reading!

jjinxx

OHOaddict

The Dahlia Goddess
Little images of each character are dancing in my head. thanks @jjinxx thIs was a funny and interesting read. Can't wait to read more:))

jjinxx

Chapter 4

“How are you dear?” Karn’s mom patted Phet’s hands.

“I’m very well. Thank you for taking me in. I won’t be a burden for you too long.”

“Don’t say that. Karn’s good friends are always welcome. I’ll leave you two now. I have some things to take care of. Karn, remember that we’re going to see Pheung’s family tomorrow.”

“Yes, mom.”

Once they were alone, Phet sat and asked, “Do you think things will settle down now?”

“The legal side is done with. Now, it’s just between Deun and Win that I’m worried about.”

“What are you worried about?”

“Deun doesn’t usually have such a bad temper, and it’s rare to see Win that irritated with another person. Don’t you think? I hope they’re not resenting each other.”

“They’ll cool down eventually. Either way, they don’t seem to want each other to get in trouble. Good thing your sister can give Win the benefit of the doubt like this and not really put him in jail with those other guys.”

“But the newspapers threw in that nonsense about them.” Karn shook his head. “My mom’s not saying it, but I know she’s suspicious. And my dad, well…”

“But the truth is that they are nothing to each other.”

“I suppose so.”

“What? Don’t tell me you think like your mom.”

Karn and Phet exchanged a wary glance. “Nevermind. You’re right.”

“And where did Deun go?”

“She’s back at Dad’s house.”

Deun sat her desk. She set down the book she’d been reading. Her thoughts had wandered back to Win.

You’re okay.

On the road, he had grasped her face with tender care. She had gone from deciding to call an ambulance, to being stunned seeing tears in his eyes as he looked over her face, as though every inch of her was precious to him. Deun pushed back from the desk, shaking herself out of her thoughts. “He was hurt. Of course even a grown man would cry in pain.”

Making her way downstairs to the living room, she found her father taking a phone call. Overhearing the conversation, her heart dropped, as she listened to her father explaining to a friend of his that his daughter was not involved in anything the gossip papers had claimed.

------
“Are you sure I should be coming with?”

“Well, why not? I’m inviting you, aren’t I?” Karn replied. Phet still felt unsure, as the two men and Karn’s mother stepped outside and got into the car.
When they arrived, Phoo was outside watering the plants. He greeted them.

“Good morning, Auntie, p’Karn! And this is…”

“This is my friend, Phet. I wanted to introduce him to everyone.”

“Welcome, khun Phet,” Phoo said, smiling cheerfully. “Auntie, my mom is inside. Come.”

On their way in, Phoo asked Karn, “P’Karn? I heard you’re going to Khao Luang forest.”

“That’s right.”

“Great! I’m going to be there too. We’ll get to work together.”

“Really? Which section are you going to be with?”

“I mainly work with water treatment. But this time I’m helping my boss track the native species too.”

“There you are, son.” Phoo’s mother greeted the group at the door. “Come inside. Don’t let Phoo run your ears off with his work. He doesn’t put that stuff away even when he comes home.”

Phoo pretended to pout, making Karn chuckle.

He said, “It’s good that I’ll have another friend helping me work this time. It’ll be fun, right Phoo?”

“See mom?” Phoo said with an impish smile. “And Phao is going to be there working with me too.”

Pheung also came to the door to welcome them. They settled into the living room to chat.

“Deun isn’t hurt, right?” Pheung asked, after hearing a short explanation from Karn about the incidents that had occurred abruptly.

Karn shook his head. “Good thing, both she and Win are doing okay. Win is at the hospital still.”

“Will you go visit him today?” Pheung asked. “I’ll go with you too.”

“Khun Pheung, you know Win too?” Phet asked.

Phoo answered, “He’s a relative of ours. A distant relative.”

Pheung added, “I’m going to prepare some food to take to Win. Please excuse me.”

Phet glanced her way as she left. Phoo was engaging Karn in more conversation about their work in land conservation.

“There you go again, eating all of the snacks.”

Phoo chewed on, not minding his mom’s scolding.

Phet excused himself to use the restroom. On his way back, he noticed Pheung working in the kitchen. She had a variety of snacks on the counter. She turned to reach up in a cupboard.

Pheung stood on her tiptoes, reaching for one of the higher shelves. A hand stretched past hers and grabbed it, bringing it down for her. Pheung looked over in surprise to find Phet standing close.

He handed the bowl to her. “I’m sorry for intruding. You looked like you needed some help.”

“Thank you, khun Phet.” She returned to her work. “How long have you known Win?”

“Since we were in college together.”

“Was Win still a quiet person even then?”

“Yeah, he was.”

Pheung smiled. “I remember visiting him once when we were little. He was so naughty, and had such a loud mouth.”

“Really? I can’t imagine that.” Phet rinsed his hands in the sink. “As long as I’ve known him, he’s always been a very contemplative person.”

“That’s right. Ever since his parents passed away, Win’s changed. But then again, people change as they grow older.”

“Here, I’ll help.”

“Oh, no, you really don’t have to.”

“It’s alright. It’s no trouble at all,” he assured her. He turned the water over the fruits to wash them.

“You’re too kind. As soon as you enter someone’s house, you start working yourself.”

Phet grinned. “I have to win brownie points from my good friend’s girlfriend. I want to be invited to your house often after you two marry.”

[SIZE=11pt]She kept stirring the soup she was warming up, without replying. Phet quieted too, growing more conscious that marriage might not be her favorite subject.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]------A/N[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]jjinxx[/SIZE]

elegantnas21

sarNie Hatchling
Aww..loved the interaction between Phet and Pheung❤

PRAHET <3

I love how the story is progressing and your writing style! Cant wait to read more!!

jjinxx

Chapter 5

Deun slowed her steps as she entered the hospital. “Why did I come here?” she asked to herself. Suddenly, she spotted her brother with Pheung and Phet. Without thinking, she immediately ducked behind a pillar. “Shoot. Why am I acting like a criminal?”

“Deun?”

Deun cursed under her breath. She forced herself to save face by coming out of hiding. Sticking a smile on her face, she waved at the trio. “Hi everyone.”

“What are you doing here?” Karn asked. “Did you visit Win?”

“Why would I do that?” Deun asked. “I, uh, I was visiting another friend of mine. I need to go home now though. See you all next time, okay?”

“Aow,” Pheung said, watching her make a quick exit. “She must be in a rush.”

“Thanks for visiting, Pheung,” Win said.

“Look at this. If Karn didn’t let us know, you probably wouldn’t have told us that you’re at the hospital, right?” she asked.

“There’s nothing wrong with me. The doctor said I can leave tomorrow.”

“Hey, that’s great news,” Phet grinned.

“Don’t forget to go apologize to Deun too. All that ridiculous news about her and you is because you’re stubborn and won’t take care of yourself. If she hadn’t been in such a hurry, I would have brought her up here for you to beg her forgiveness.”

“Deun was here?” Win’s eyes slid to the door as if Deun might surprise them by appearing suddenly. He caught Phet’s quirked look, and sat back in bed, trying to cover up his curiosity.

“She went home already.”

Phet spoke up. “But this is a surprise to me. All this time and you didn’t know your own relative was getting engaged to your friend.”

“Don’t blame him. Win’s like this. He keeps to himself. If we want to hear from him, we have to sacrifice a limb before he gives in to visiting us.”

“Oh come on. I’m not that bad,” Win said, though Pheung continued her accusing look. As Win listened to the others chat, and ate some of the fruits they had brought, his mind drifted off. He supposed there was no reason for him to meet Deun again.

“Win, did you hear me?”

“What?”

Pheung looked at him funny. “Is something wrong? You look so deep in thought.”

“Maybe the medications are doing their work,” Phet joked. “But he has a short attention span, so maybe not.”

“Dummy.” Win threw an apple slice at him.

“Seeing you with strength like this, I guess we don’t have to worry anymore,” Karn said.

“I said so, didn’t I?”

“Come visit us at home soon. Don’t forget,” Pheung said sternly to Win.

------
Win sighed in relief, pulling his shirt down over his torso. It felt good to finally be out of the hospital clothing. He thought for a second, then picked up his phone.

“Hello?”

“Pheung, it’s Win.”

“Did you leave the hospital already?”

“I’m about to.”

“Why didn’t you call to let me know? I could have come pick you up.”

“That’s not necessary. Uh,” he hesitated. “About what you said yesterday.”

Pheung checked over the emails in her inbox. “Yeah? What part?”

“About going…going to see Karn’s family.”

“And?”

“Do you think you could come with me? It’s okay if you can’t though. In fact, it might be better if we just wait.”

“Win,” she answered sternly, “Don’t try to avoid this. If you really want to go, then you should go.”

“Then, are you going to go with me?”

“Why do I have to go too?”

“Aow!” he said in dismay. “If you don’t go, I’m afraid it won’t look good. Besides, you know their family better than I do. I don’t want her parents to think I’m weird, showing up alone.”

“Fine, fine.” Pheung smirked. “Why are you so flustered? You don’t have to be that scared. Karn’s parents are kind people.”

“Just promise me you’re going. Bring Phoo too if you want.”

“Are you asking Phoo and me to be your body guards or something?”

“Stop joking already.” Win listened to her laugh. “Pheung.”

“What is it?”

Win thought back to yesterday, when she, Karn, and Phet were with him.

“Win?”

“Ah, Pheung. I wanted to say I’m sorry.”

Pheung looked up from shuffling her papers together. “For what?”

“Well, for disrupting the ceremony the other day. I’m really sorry.”

“You don’t have to be sorry. Deun too. She called me and apologized so many times, I started to feel bad myself. I’m serious, okay? Just look after yourself.”

“Thanks, Pheung. And Pheung? You and Karn. You’re both doing okay?”

“What do you mean?”

Though Win felt it was none of his business, he had been surprised to see Pheung and Karn look less like lovers than simply friends. They hadn’t even sat next to each other. He decided it was better to stay out of it. “It’s nothing.”

“Then let’s go see them later on. Deun said she and her father are going to visit Karn’s house.”

------
“Mom, I’m here!” Deun announced, kicking her shoes off at the door.

“There you are, dear.” Her mom took her hand, leading her in, as her father followed them.

“P’Karn isn’t back from work yet?”

“He’s on his way. Grandpa and Grandma are here visiting.”

Deun smiled when she found her grandparents. “Grandma! Grandpa!”

“Come here, dear.” Her grandmother hugged her tightly before letting her go to her grandfather.

“How are you two? I’m sorry I didn’t get to say goodbye the other day.” She laid her head on her grandma’s lap. “I want to come visit you at the river house.”

“Before I let you come visit us, why don’t you tell me what’s happened?”

Deun met her Grandfather’s eyes, which had grown strict. She hesitated. “Grandpa, you’re talking about…”

“Since you know what I’m speaking of, tell me. This sort of nonsense cannot just be passed around with your family’s name at stake.” Her grandfather waited, as Deun looked to her parents. Her mom gave her a gentle look.

“It’s nothing much, Grandpa.”

“Everyone’s here!” Karn came in with his own wide smile. “Grandma, Grandpa, I’m glad you two came back so soon. I missed you two.”

“Karn, it’s good that you’re here on time. Since your sister won’t speak, you tell me instead. What happened the other day that you weren’t able to get engaged to nu Pheung?”

Karn froze, caught in the headlights of all the elders’ eyes. He looked at Deun, who silently pleaded for help. Deun was thankful when he recovered and calmly recounted the story to their grandparents.

Just when he got done, their mom got up. “Someone’s at the door.” When she came back, Deun’s lips fell open in surprise to see Win and Pheung come in too.

“Nu Pheung, it’s good to see you here,” Grandmother said.

Greeting everyone, Pheung said, “I’m sorry to arrive without calling ahead of time. I was hoping to come visit Uncle and Auntie, and it’s good luck that I came at the same time as Grandma and Grandpa too.”

“And this young man?” Grandpa gestured to Win.

“This is Win.”

Win said, “I’m Pheung’s cousin. I’m here to…” He glanced at Pheung.

“It might not be the right day for our visit,” Pheung said.

“Feel free to talk, dear,” Karn’s mom said, “We’re like family already.”

“Young man, come sit here,” Grandpa ordered, pointing to the seat next to Deun. Win didn’t dare disobey. He made his way over. As he took a seat, he caught Deun’s eye but she averted her eyes away. He noticed Karn watching apprehensively. After seeing Pheung’s slight nod, he took a deep breath.

“I’m here to formally apologize.” He dipped his head over his hands. “I’m sorry for the chaos I caused the other day, and for making everyone worry about Deun. I didn’t intend to be so disruptive, Uncle, Auntie. If there’s anything I can do for you, please just say the word.”

“We’re not angry at you, Win,” Karn’s dad said. “We heard about what happened from Deun. It was just misfortune that you two got into that trouble.”

“But things aren’t fixed easily,” Grandpa said. “It’s good that you came. I have a question for you.”

“Yes, Grandfather.”

“You and Deun have nothing to do with each other, is that right?”

“Grandpa,” Deun said, shifting in discomfort. “Why would you ask that? You don’t believe me?”

Her grandmother replied, “Young people these days can’t be trusted with their words.” Although she sounded like she was joking, Deun saw her grandpa maintain his serious face.

“What do you say, khun Win?” Grandpa asked.

Win dropped his gaze for a moment, then looked over at Deun. Deun wondered at his hesitation. She glanced over her shoulder at Win. Catching sight of the curiosity on her face, Win heard himself say, “As Deun said, we haven’t known each other long.”

“I see.” Grandpa nodded.

“If I may, please allow me to say something. If there’s anything I can do that will help the elders feel at ease, I’m willing to do so.” Win might not have parents, but that didn’t mean he was unaware how parents would worry for their children. He didn’t want Karn’s parents and grandparents to suspect Deun.

“Hearing your words, I will trust you to hold yourself to them.” Grandpa looked from Win to Deun, who kept her chin up but refused to look at any of them.

Karn spoke up, “Uh, how long are you and Grandma staying?”

“Not long. Karn, before you leave for work in Khao Luang, bring your sister to visit the river house. And bring khun Win too.”

Deun blinked wide. “Grandpa?”

“What is it?”

“I was just wondering, why are you inviting so many people?”

“I have my reasons.”

Grandma said, “Pheung, join them too if you and your brother are not too busy.”

“Yes, Grandma,” Pheung said.

Deun looked up from the piano keyboard when Karn walked into the room, and stopped playing. “I don’t think I’m going to visit Grandma and Grandpa anymore,” Deun said.

“Aow.” He leaned against the side of the piano. “Why? You wanted to go, isn’t that right? And schools here have let out already. Aren’t you going to go help Kru Maitree teach the kids?” Deun looked away. He took a seat next to her. “Aw come on. You’re not going to hide away in this house right?”

“I won’t go that far, p’Karn. I’m just not completely comfortable with visiting Grandpa when that other person is going too.”

“You mean Win?”

“Well, yeah. Why did Grandpa want him to go? He’s not close with our family at all.”

“But he’s still my friend.”

“He’s just your friend.”

“Either way, you can’t uninvited someone who Grandpa invited personally. Just go there and don’t think too much. You’ll have your own work to do, and Win won’t stay long. Okay?” He patted her on her head as she sulked.

------A/N
thanks for reading!

jjinxx

OHOaddict

The Dahlia Goddess
My addiction is still fresh! Ooh what does Grandpa have in mind? Cant wait for more thanks na ja!

jjinxx

Chapter Six

Win slipped his sunglasses on. “How come Phoo isn’t coming too?”

“He has some work to do before going to the reservation. Karn is going to the reservation too after visiting his grandparents.”

“So he and Phoo will be working together?”

“Right.”

“How did you and Karn come to be together?”

“Our parents’ friends introduced us, and my parents really like him.”

“And?”

Pheung looked out the window with a bright smile. “He’s a great person, isn’t he?”

“Pheung.” Win caught her eye.

“What?”

“I don’t understand. So you’re going along with it just because your parents want it? I wouldn’t have expected that of Karn either.” Win shook his head.

“Don’t look down on us, na?”

“I’m not looking down on you. I’m just surprised. You really want this?”

Pheung looked up thoughtfully. “I think I’m at an age where I want to find a partner to settle down with, and I think Karn feels the same way.” She eyed Win as if suggesting he should start thinking too. “I’ve gotten to know him, and he’s a sweet person. Our families approve which makes everything easier. And we’re not getting married right away, so I feel like I can ease into the relationship as time goes on.”

“The way you think isn’t bad,” he admitted. “Arrangements like this feel off somehow though. You’re both great people, so I just want to see you two spend the rest of your life with someone you love passionately.”

“Look at this. You’re still such a romantic,” she teased him. “I knew Deun before I knew Karn. We met while she was studying in the U.S.”

“Oh?” Win asked. “And, uh, so you know her well?”

“Yes. She’s one of my good friends.”

“Good.”

Pheung indulged him with stories of her friendship with Deun, recognizing the growing interest he had for her friend.

They drove for a while and finally reached the river house. Win got out of the car and took in the view. The grand house was beautifully built in the traditional architecture. His eyes landed on a figure standing on the porch to the side of the house, leaning over the balcony. She looked his way, she froze.

“Win? Open the trunk,” Pheung called to him.

“Oh, right.” He hurried to help her gather their belongings.

“You’re here!” Karn came out to see them and offered to carry their bags. They headed inside where they were welcomed by Grandma and Grandpa.

“Thank you for inviting us to your home,” Pheung said.

“You’re welcome any time, dear. Where’s Deun?” Grandma asked Karn. “How come she hasn’t come greet our guests?”

Win glanced around the room.

Grandpa told them, “Come, let’s have a meal.”

As they sat down, Deun came into the dining room. “I’m glad you made it,” she said to Pheung.

“Come on Deun. Let’s eat!” Karn said.

She was about to sit next to her brother but her grandma said, “Let Pheung sit next to Karn. Come dear, sit next to me. Hurry.”

Deun looked over at Win, realizing she’d have to sit next to him. Win watched Karn pull out the chair for Pheung. He hesitated, but when Deun reached his side, he followed Karn’s example.

“Thanks,” Deun mumbled.

Throughout the meal, Win felt extra conscious of her presence next to him.

“Khun Win, you’re being quiet. Is everything to your taste?”

“Oh, yes,” he assured Grandma.

Grandpa said, “Karn, this afternoon you take Pheung and Win for a walk down the river. Deun, you go with them too. Show them around.”

“But I was planning to go visit Khru Maitree today,” Deun said.

“You’ll have time for that later since you’re staying long. Go with them.”

She agreed with reluctance, swinging her feet under the table in discontent. Her foot caught Win’s by accident. Deun opened her mouth to apologize, but catching him looking at her, a sheepish warmth crept up her neck and she looked back at her plate. She placed her feet firmly on the floor, feeling his eyes linger on her.

The quartet of visitors started out on their walk. Deun slowed her pace to allow Pheung and Karn to walk side by side. And of course, she realized too late that she was left paired up next to Win. He sensed she was trying to ignore him, as she looked out to the river, but he kept pace with her.

“Is that right, Win?” Karn said to him over his shoulder. “Pheung just told me you used to not take baths when you were a kid.”

Win smiled. “What kid likes to take baths? Unless they’re star swimmers like Pheung?”

“Swimming is not the same as taking a bath either,” Pheung said. “Don’t make excuses. Thank goodness your habit of running from baths didn’t follow you into adulthood.”

Win caught Deun smiling. When she saw him looking at her, he was disappointed to see the smile fade. Did she dislike him after the trouble he’d caused her?

“Wow, there are many lotuses out in the river!” Pheung admired the gentle pinks floating on the water surface.

“Would you like to take a boat out there? We can gather some dinner.”

“Can we really?”

Karn laughed and nodded at Pheung’s excitement. They led the way back to the house. Karn and Win pulled two boats from the riverside shed. As Win and Pheung dug out oars for the second boat, Karn said, “Deun, get in.”

“P’Karn, shouldn’t you be rowing for p’Pheung?” Deun said in a low voice.

“Oh, should I?”

Her brother could be tactless sometimes. Deun refrained from facepalming and instead, nodded. “P’Pheung! Come here. P’Karn has this boat ready for you two.”

“Ja,” Pheung said.

“Be careful, Deun,” Karn said before he started paddling.

“You ever been in one of these?” Deun asked.

Win said, “No. But it seems similar to a canoe.” He’s been in canoes numerous times.

“I’ll row, then.”

“I can do it.”

“I’ll do it. You and p’Pheung are our guests so just enjoy the scenery.”

Win opened his mouth but swallowed his protest seeing Deun’s firm hand on her hip that told him she wasn’t going to put up with argument. “Okay.”

Deun saw Karn and Pheung’s boat farther ahead. She wasn’t able to row any faster, but she could read the look on Win’s face. She wasn’t about to give up rowing though, when she had offered in the first place.

Win shifted in his seat and turned to face her. “Hey, I can take a turn at rowing if you’re tired.”

“I’m not tired.”

He raised his brow at her, making Deun feel foolish. She kept rowing. Finally, they reached the large patches of lotus flowers.

“I’ll row and you gather some flowers.”

Win reached out and plucked a flower out of the water.

“Khun, you want to get a longer stem than that,” Deun said.

“Oh.” Win looked down at the one in his hands and set it aside. He leaned over the side of the boat.

“Hey!” Deun exclaimed when she felt the boat tip too much for her comfort.

“I’m sorry!” Win sat back, holding the sides of the boat until it stopped wobbling. “I haven’t done this before.”

Deun grudgingly said, “Fine. Here, take the oar. I’ll gather the flowers.”

“Let’s switch seats.” They got up and maneuvered around each other. The boat dipped one way. Deun and Win grabbed each other instinctively, trying to balance their weight together. As if by accident, Win inhaled her scent, something subtly sweet. It made his nose hunt for the source, so that he lowered his head. Deun looked up at him. She had such wide eyes. Win thought he could see an entire sky reflected in them.

“Khun,” she said. “Let’s sit down.”

“Ja.”

Patting sweat from her brow, Deun scanned the abundance of lotuses and began picking them out. As she worked, she could already taste the soup that Grandma would make. “This is going to taste good!”

“You like eating lotus stems?” Win asked.

“Mm. Grandma knows how to make them really yummy. Can you take us a little further?”

Win rowed them forward.

“These are beautiful.” Pheung held a lotus up to her nose. Karn smiled at the pretty picture she made, surrounded by lotuses, the river, and green grass. “P’Karn? What is it?” she asked, seeing him watch her.

“Oh nothing.”

“Oh, I wanted to mention something to you. My cousin, Phao—you remember her from the engagement day, right? She’s going to be working with Phoo at the reservation while you’re there. If it’s not too much trouble, please help look after her too.”

“Your cousin? I’d be happy to help.” Karn watched as she piled their flowers neatly. “Pheung. My parents have been talking about rescheduling the engagement ceremony for next month. Have you thought about it?”

“I have a trip to Japan for work in the next month.” Pheung stroked one of the flowers in her lap while in though. “To be honest, we don’t have to hurry. It takes a lot of preparation, and with both of us working, our parents would have to shoulder the responsibility for all the fine details.”

Karn nodded. “If you think that way, I also agree.” He smiled. “I’m grateful that we understand each other.”

They rowed on, chatting about their upcoming plans at work.

They had come upon some young lotus shoots, and she said she wanted to snack on the seeds. Just now, he had popped a lotus seed into his mouth. Win grimaced.

Deun snickered. “Haven’t you eaten lotus seeds before? You have to take out the sprouts inside. That’s where the bitter taste comes from. P’Karn and I used to always eat these together. Here.” She peeled a seed, split it, and removed the sprout. “Try this now.”

Deun held it out, placing the seed between Win’s lips. Her hand hovered in the air even after he accepted the seed. They looked at one another. There was a shared sense of bewilderment at the intimate transaction that had taken place.

“Deun! Win!”

Their boats reunited.

“Let’s go back now. We have more than enough lotuses, and it’s so humid out,” Karn said.

“Ja, p’Karn.”

“Deun, are you alright? Your face is red.” Karn frowned in concern. “Let’s hurry back.”

Win drank in the image in front of him, of Deun’s glowing and flushed cheeks.

“What is it, khun Win?” Deun asked.

He blinked. “I was just, um, thinking that the scenery here is…” Deun waited as he worked the words out. “It’s compatible with you.”

“What do you mean?”

“The river, the fields, the open sky looks better with you in it all.” He cleared his throat to swallow the away the lame compliment he heard leaving his mouth. Deun dropped her eyes to the lotus in her lap, rolling it with her fingers.

“Oh.”

“I’m sorry if that made you uncomfortable.”

“Don’t apologize. If you meant it, I’ll accept your words.” They looked at each other.

“I meant it.”

She smiled.

------
“You’re not full yet?”

Win had wanted to give the lotus seeds another try. He looked up to see Pheung approaching him.

“You ate so much at dinner already,” she said, sitting down next to him on the garden bench. “You had a special dessert too.”

“Special dessert? The pastries Grandma made?”

“I should say Deun, to be clear.” She laughed at his affronted reaction.

“What nonsense are you saying?”

“Deun,” she enunciated. “Every time you looked at her, the ants around here were clinging to your eyes. She’s total eye candy to you, isn’t she?”

“Crazy.” He thrust some lotus seeds at her. “Want some?”

“You know how to eat those too?”

He caught her eying him closely. “Why wouldn’t I know? Karn eats these often.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really.” He stood and yawned unnaturally loud. “I’m tired. Good night.”

“I’m sure it will be.”

He glared at her over his shoulder but she just smirked.

------A/N

:) jjinxx