Koo Kwan Vs. Koo Jin

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Translated from Gossipstar
Typically, when a lakorn receives good feedback and ratings, it is normal for the entertainment industry to dub its pranaangs as koo jin. Since they won the hearts of many through television, many fan clubs want them to date each other in real life as well. This isn't the only generation where koo jin fever has continuously increased. This kind of feedback existed back during our mother and father's generation as well. It's just that the term used to describe the perfect pairing was "koo kwan" while this generation is "koo jin." Whether or not the two words bring the same feeling, we do not know. However, we can agree that they both bring the same joy to lakorn viewers. Let's turn back the hands of time and take a look at past koo kwans along with updates on current koo jins.

I personally think koo kwan is the better title. It's much more classy and difficult to earn. Those who have attained this title have earned them while koo jin is a title that's thrown around for every couple. Koo jin to me is overly hyped. They tend to over do it with their fan service too. 

KOO KWAN ERA 

Mit Chaibancha and Phetrachaowarat- They were pioneers of the koo kwan title. For this generation, they would qualify to be called koo jin because they worked together often in both the business and lakorn industry.

Santisuk and Mam Jintara- They are another koo kwan couple that have had several successful works together spanning from their earlier days until this present era. Whether it be mother and father roles of n'ek or p'ek, they are still working together.   

Num Sornram and Kob Suvanant- This couple gave everyone bags under their eyes from staying up to watch their lakorns. During this era, no matter which lakorn it was, if these two were casted in a lakorn, the ratings were always record breaking high from beginning to end.

Ken Theeradeth and Anne Thongprasom- This couple is another koo kwan that has fans screaming each time they hear their names. No matter how many lakorns they play in, if these two are casted, their explosive chemistry has everyone finning and they are usually hot to the max!

KOO JIN ERA

Yaya Urassaya and Nadech Kugimiya- We can say that these two make us fin to the point of squeezing our pillows tightly. Ever since their first lakorn, they have developed a very big fan base. It is probably because of their adorable personalities that have won over the hearts of NY fan clubs.

Mark Prin and Kimberley Voltemas- The fin for these two are no lesser than NY's. Even though they were not paired to become koo jin from the beginning, the sweetness of this koo jin has become koo jing (real couple). So sweet to the point of oozing out of the television. 

See more koo jins.

James Jirayu and Bella Ranee- Although they've only worked together in one lakorn, the fever for these two has remained strong until today. Fan clubs have given them support whole-heartedly. We can't wait to see your next project and hope to see the two of you in many more lakorns to come. 

Boy Pakorn and Margie Rasri- They are one of the koo jins that many have been cheering to become reality outside of television, but their wishes still have yet to be granted. They are a hyper koo jin who isn't sweet to the point of overdoing it. This couple has captured the hearts of many.

Pope Thanawat and Mew Nittha- This couple is handsome, sweet, and beautiful. They became koo jin ever since their first lakorn and continued onto their second lakorn, which allowed fans to fin even more despite there not being any signs of the two becoming a real item.

Joy Rinlanee and Alek Theeradeth- This couple proved that age is just a number. Their age gap isn't little. They worked together in just one lakorn and instantly became koo jin. Their fan clubs are no smaller than other koo jins. 

Weir Sukollawat and Min Pechaya- This couple made everyone's eyes sleepy. After working together once, many fan clubs wanted them to reunite in another lakorn. They got their wish because Ch.7 has given them continuous works sporadically.

Michael Pattaradet and Bow Maylada- They are a koo jin who had crossed a bank of obstacles to be together. Doctor Chit has won the hearts of many along with Bow. They worked together in only one lakorn and managed to develop a fan base to support the two as koo jin. They are now paired for a second lakorn. You can say that their couple is in demand.

Aom Sushar and Mike Pirath- They are not only koo jin in Thailand  but they are also koo jin to many across different countries. Their first lakorn Full House was such a success that they went international.

Esther Supreeleela and Sean Jindachot- They are the dark horse koo jin. One can say this because they were an unexpected pair. No one expected the two to become this hot after their pairing in Leh Ratree's remake. They are another koo jin who gained the support of many fans quickly.

Push Puttichai and Jui Warattaya- Don't know whether we can fin until they become real lovers or not. Despite their popularity after their first lakorn, the two were already taken. Fans can only dream. However, the two are now newly single. Fan clubs are keeping a close eye on them to see if they can get their wishes granted. 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ I know right~~ I still love seeing Mam & Santisuk work together to this day lol.  If I recall, didn't they date in the past too?

Anyways, I still prefer the term "Koo-Kwan" instead of "koo-jin". 

Sigh, I just like and support too many people :(

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I'm surprised Mew and Willy weren't mentioned along with Kwan and Om.

If you compare the koo kwan to koo jin couples, you'd notice how reserved they are towards one another. I like that. Koo jins over do it with their silly selfies, hugging, and hand holdings. I know it's a new age and era, but if you're not dating, have some space between one another. I like how koo kwans left things to the imagination. We'd analyze their slightest gazes or interactions towards one another as a sign of something more. Now, everything is out in the open, sometimes too much. 

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I know this statement will probably receive alot of disagreement, but in this era the only couple I can see as Koo-Kwan or coming close to attaining the title is Matt and Grate. They make me think about how they have such great chemistry and then I realize they've only been in 3 and having their 4th soon? I was like wow.. why do I feel them so much as a couple when they've had less work together compared to some of the popular koo-jins now lol. 

roselovesice

방탄소년단 x Bangtan Sonyeondan x JiTaew
Oh yeah. Those Koo kwan days. Those were definitely the days. I totally agree with what you said, Mahalo. Koo kwan does sound more classy. It is a title that's hard to earn. Koo jin is being thrown everywhere that it doesn't even have a meaning to it anymore. Heck. It didn't even have a meaning to it in the first place. lol 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
KhoOnxNouxWanxJai said:
I know this statement will probably receive alot of disagreement, but in this era the only couple I can see as Koo-Kwan or coming close to attaining the title is Matt and Grate. They make me think about how they have such great chemistry and then I realize they've only been in 3 and having their 4th soon? I was like wow.. why do I feel them so much as a couple when they've had less work together compared to some of the popular koo-jins now lol. 
I honestly agree...despite Great not being that great of an actor compared to Matt. Haha.

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
Santisuk / Mam & Ken / Anne though  :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

There are two other couples that I would like to mention that didn't make it to the list..
Aum / Aff & Great / Matt.. They're like the greatest of friends and I love seeing them together.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Part of the Koo Jin problem nowadays are the "fans". The fans are outrageously too fanatic. They are loud and most are just unreasonable and wants everyone under the sun that starred together to date. And then you have, the looks, the way they smile, the clothes they wear. In a sense these fans have way too much time in hand to be an investigator. Koo Jin has no importance to me because everyone seemed to get labeled as such it takes out the real meaning out of it.

The couples now plays a big part as well. They know what sells so they play it along with the fans. The more they service as a couple the better they are with the fan base. So, they are selling a false relationship in a fantasy land that only the fans seemed to live in. At the end, the fans should look at the record of these celebrities...how many koo kwan/koo jin has there been that actually end up together? The record should speak for itself. Once the curtains are being pulled down, they all end the charade and go on about their lives...and what do the fans at the end get??? I'm not sure lol

As for Great and Matt...they have a true friendship that goes beyond the lakorn world. He seemed to love her sincerely as a friend and therefore it comes out so naturally between them. They don't seemed to care what people think about them. Because they are not stuck together to the hips. Anyway, I really like the friendship between them more than anything. Great always seemed go glow when he's with her.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
If you look at the descriptions for koo jins, many of them don't have significant career milestones to mention besides having huge fan bases that adore and want them to be together. A majority of them have only starred together in ONE lakorn and instantly became koo jin. On the other hand, the koo kwans have accomplished so much together with record breaking ratings for their lakorns and respect as veterans in the ET industry. It didn't happen over night. They've worked many years to earn it. This is why I don't use the title koo kwan lightly.  

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
I'll never ride the koo jin train, that term is used way too loosely (yes I understand that it is the point since it isn't the equivalent of koo kwan but still...) and the media seriously calls practically every couple nowadays koo jin to the point that I get annoyed. That term itself seems to erk me, call me old school but I'll stick with the term koo kwan and I'll only use it when it is deserved. 

fun

Expired Sarnie
How could they have not mentioned Ateam and Rteam? Middle generation was the last koonkwan era. These two couple along with KAteam dominated 2006-2012. There was the pre era to the middle: Captain/Pin, Captain/Aom, Tik/Aom, Willy/Ann, Pepper/Ann A, Patson/Ning, and Touch/Ning.

Sweet_09

❤All that you are is all that I'll ever need❤
I seriously grow up watching Num and Kob lakorn and i have to say thay are one of my favorite back then and still is today... Ken and Ann come 2nd after Num and Kob but i fall head over toe for them because their chemistry is just so natural.

Koo-Kwan to Koo-Jin, i will say i will go with Koo-Kwan. Koo-Jin, to me they are just the wanna be lol! (you guy know what i mean lol)

rockateur

sarNie Hatchling
The term koo jin literally has no meaning to me. It originally came about from the English word, "imagine" meaning as long as the fans imagine any couple together, they can be labelled as a koo jin, even if they have never worked together before. Koo Kwan defines success and captivation, a label that is rare to be given whereas koo jin defines fantasy and illusion. Fans these days tend to use koo jin and koo kwan interchangeably without realizing that they aren't meant to be seen as equivalents. By the way, that sanook article is missing a good significant number of koo kwans. Willy and Mew should be up there along with Sam and Ann. There was one from sanook and thairath from last year that has a more accurate listing. 

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
I have my own favorite pairs of pranangs. I don't really get into the hype of koojin. For me, it just depends on what I receive from the leads. If their chemistry is good then I go crazy for them. If not, (even if they are koojin) I just pass on their lakorns.

Alice

sarNie Tombstone
to add onto the list 
pope&ploy PP

they could pass as a real husband/wife

Rome&Chom RC

KenP&Namtarn KN Kichy

sarNie Adult
Thank you for the translation Mahalo! I only learned the full meaning of Koo-Kwan and Koo-jine now.

In my country, we also have something similar, though more often the "love teams" really end up having a relationship (well,at least allegedly). Some even get married. then they just end up breaking up afterwards (sometimes bitterly.)  At least in Thailand, when the Koo-gines have fan-service moments, they stay clear that they are NOT together in real life (or even if they are, they deny it). I think I prefer it the Thai way. For some reason, I think that the best love teams that can act the best are those that are best friends and not really in a real relationship with each other.