James Ji's Magic James Concert

Step

Mrs James Ma
Idk why he is sooo popular. He's average in acting, talent even after coming back from Korea lol. But his fans exagerate for him. Well, I just wanted to create a topic for his fans. I won't be attending his solo concert even for free. 

sarNie Adult
Hohoho. thank you for this thread. With james ji, i think it's either you like him or you hate him. I am actually a James Ji fangirl. my case is so bad, I was actually considering shelling out around a thousand bucks (USD) to go to Thailand and watch his concert. The only thing that stopped/stops me is that I've never been to Thailand, and I'm afraid I'll be so lost in translation during the concert with all the happy hyper fangirls that I'd end up ... well, lost basically, especially since I'd have to go alone since my friends are... well... yeah.  :scratchhead2:

As a fan of his, I want to say that yes, indeed, he can hold a tune but he's definitely not a singer. He can sort-of-dance but I did cringe when I saw his first dance number in his Monkey King fan meeting. (What bothers me is that he's not made to dance ballroom dancing things when supposedly, that's his selling point since he learned it when he was young. I don't know why they're forcing him to dance like a k-pop act.) Heck, event that poster of his is..... well..... GAY in a bad way. (No offense to gay people.) and Magic James, what the heck, most definitely it wouldn't have come from Magic Mike but they could have chosen a better title. 

But anyway, he's a bundle of imperfect things but that, to me, is precisely his charm, since he tries so hard and still does everything with a smile, without coming off as cocky. (He can be a tad bit too confident, or rather shameless, but to me, he doesn't come off as cocky). 

I've been reading in other forums how he gets bashed all the time, especially in English forums. I don't know if majority of his bashers are non-thai, or if he gets bashed by non-Thai and Thai people equally. My judgement may be clouded since I see him through his Thai fans, but I feel that he has a really strong fanbase in Thailand. And I think I understand why. I am a 90's kid (stated otherwise, I'm close to my 30's. In this fandom, I'm a grandma. :cry: ) and I've never been into boy bands or kpop or what. I was into Johnny's entertainment (Japan) at some point but it was more of like a peer pressure thing than a real fan addiction. But with James Ji, this is funny, but I tried so hard to resist it because he's so frickin young and I feel too old to be fangirling him, but what the heck. He's like a drug. The guy is so funny he cracks me up. He has interviews where he says he just wants to make people happy, he's basically "selling" happiness, etc. and it works. I go through a long boring day, no life, no nothing, and this guy basically cheers me up. 

So when fans watch his concert (of course only a fan of his would watch his concert, unless they get forced or something, right?) I don't think they'll watch it for his song, or his dance, I think the attraction there is seeing him smile and looking like he's having fun and "selling happiness." I've been following him the past few months, and lately his sched is nuts. I often wonder if he sleeps enough at all. His fans are tailing him around like crazy, and he's sweaty and tired and all that but he he hasn't had a tantrum so far (well... as far as I know). 

He keeps on training, working on dancing, but still he looks gay when doing it, and people still bash him, but you know, when I see his effort, I get swayed and I want to watch him more and more. I think more than fangirl instincts, he brings out my maternal instincts.  :bhehe: It's more of me thinking "Go my child! Reach for your dreams! and don't forget to drink your vitamins! Let me wipe off the sweat in your back for you."  When you put things in perspective, you'll realize how hardworking he is. He's 22 and already getting so exploited. He didn't get to maximize his growth spurt because he has pictorials and shooting and all that. It's crazy. When I was 22, I was basically... a bum. So when I see him working so hard, I just want to support him more. 

As to his so-bad-it's-good dancing skills, I think the charm there is that he's not afraid to look stupid. If you're into Japanese boy bands, you'll understand that that "shameless" quality is so endearing. Anyway, I'm so sorry. I think I turned this into a rant. I was just holding this up inside for so long, I don't know if I could say it out loud considering he has a lot haters everywhere. Well, just to put things into perspective, this is how a person who likes him feels. thanks a lot for reading. 

Step

Mrs James Ma
I dont hate JJ. I just feel he's not that talented as his fans say. I hope he improves
040156 said:
Hohoho. thank you for this thread. With james ji, i think it's either you like him or you hate him. I am actually a James Ji fangirl. 

fun

Expired Sarnie
His acting isn't so shabby. His voice is actually good. It's his performance skills and stage persona that are lacking.

His first concert, I actually felt second hand embarrassment lol It was just terrible that it was hard not to make fun of it. Seeing him in the Ch3 anniversary concert... I don't think he is ready to throw another concert.

sarNie Adult
fun said:
His acting isn't so shabby. His voice is actually good. It's his performance skills and stage persona that are lacking.

His first concert, I actually felt second hand embarrassment lol It was just terrible that it was hard not to make fun of it. Seeing him in the Ch3 anniversary concert... I don't think he is ready to throw another concert.

:bhehe: I agree. that entrance song in the Monkey King fan meeting was so horrible I was thing "SERIOUSLY DUDE? SERIOUSLY?! THIS IS WHAT YOU LEARNED IN KOREA?!" But still, I somewhat enjoyed the thing in its entirety. I'll not deny it, I'm a fangirl. 

Despite my "affection" for him, I agree with all of you that he is a work in progress. He isn't that great, yet, hopefully he can improve and be good enough. I am not against critiquing him, in fact I do it a lot. I love how many of you are sharing your thoughts as to why he isn't that great as his fans think him to be. I hope you don't mind that I'm keeping the discussion going. I think with him, he was extremely lucky with his break as Puttipat.  Please excuse me as I go on another exposition... 

Although I am not a lakorn expert, having seen only a handful of lakorns, I think the very concept of his character as Puttipat being a "stiff" unromantic guy who suddenly softens up and falls in love is quite novel and out of the ordinary. So with that alone, he was able to catch the attention of many viewers. A similar scenario happened here in our country where a newbie/relatively unknown guy (who wasn't really a good actor) was cast for a soap opera where he plays a clean cut, strict guy who slowly softens up and falls in love. That actor also became insanely popular quickly because everyone liked his character and his look which wasn't quite "mainstream" at that time. I think it's the mystery of that kind of character that is intriguing. Then all of a sudden he's everywhere so the mystery dwindles and his soap opera character is juxtaposed with his real life persona. That actor is no longer as visible but people still do think of him fondly when he does show up in the news once in a while. In a similar way, like what you said, James Ji is no longer as popular since his "real" persona, apart from Puttipat became apparent. I think that's when the fans and those whose curiosity was piqued were finally segregated. Those who embraced his more youthful and slightly (fine. very) obnoxious persona stayed as his fans, and those who were merely intrigued now expect more from him. I personally was in love with Puttipat and not really James Ji. I liked to see him as Puttipat but I cringed whenever I saw HIM. But after a while, i grew to like him for reasons I earlier mentioned. 

I think the main reason why his manager is pushing or encouraging him to do concerts (even though he sucks at it) is that with his skills and his look now, he can't really be cast in a lakorn that would have as much impact as Khun Chai Puttipat. KCP is a one-time-big-time thing. I don't think the powers that be can make it happen again. The writers, production crew, everyone can only do so much. In the end, it's the actor that has to improve. It's a chicken and egg thing as James Ji will only get better if he acts in more lakorns. That's the only way for him to get better. That's why I think it's not right to compare him with Nadech. James Ji, as he is now, can never reach the same level as Nadech from the simple fact that James JI hasn't acted in as many lakorns. And i think the fact that he's difficult to cast is a big factor. 

First, he looks too young, that's why they have to put him in suits and downplay his hairdo so as not to make him look like an adolescent boy (in NNS, he also looked like he had baby fat still, so .. well... you know. Can't really take him seriously as a dramatic actor with that.) I suppose back then, it worked in Khun Chai Puttipat because people were not completely aware that he was such a boy in real life while the lakorn was showing. I remember he had an interview where he said people didn't really recognize him in the streets because his character in the lakorn had glasses and usually he goes out without glasses. But rewatching the series again, you cannot un-see what you've already seen. Now I can't help but notice how young he really looks in that lakorn, although to my mind, his acting was good enough for me to believe that he was 30+ in most of the important scenes.  Second, he's having problems with getting cast with an actress who looks younger. He has to be paired up with a veteran actress because he's still not good in acting so he'd need someone to pull him up, but the problem is, he looks younger than most of these veteran actresses. Third, he can't do another Puttipat. I don't know how it is with lakorns but with Japanese, Korean or even Filipino soaps, the characters, especially the men, cannot play the same character over and over because they'll just be compared/typecast and people would eventually get bored. Although I personally want to see him in another Puttipat-type character, I don't think he'd be able to recreate that same vibe/aura again. Maybe he can be a nerd again, but a different kind of nerd in a different kind of scenario. Fourth, since it's hard to make look older, it is likewise difficult to make a lakorn with young characters. This one I'm not sure, but so far, I haven't watched a Lakorn with college characters. I think he's in that older than Hormones but younger than Ab Ruk online age. It's hard to navigate. Definitely of all the lakorns I've seen, those that had "impact" were those where the characters were much older. or maybe it's because i'm just old....

NNS will be his make or break. If he at least shows improvement then I think he'll stay on the game, as an actor. If not, I think that's what his manager is banking on, at least he would still have a "unique selling proposition" - that is, he can still be pop icon of some sort. He'll be jack of all trades but master of none. At least it would buy him time to improve and would not completely kick him out of the game. 

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
It's weird how an actor like him would get a concert all by himself. I like the guy and all but I don't think he's worth a concert.

fun

Expired Sarnie
040156 said:

:bhehe: I agree. that entrance song in the Monkey King fan meeting was so horrible I was thing "SERIOUSLY DUDE? SERIOUSLY?! THIS IS WHAT YOU LEARNED IN KOREA?!" But still, I somewhat enjoyed the thing in its entirety. I'll not deny it, I'm a fangirl. 

Despite my "affection" for him, I agree with all of you that he is a work in progress. He isn't that great, yet, hopefully he can improve and be good enough. I am not against critiquing him, in fact I do it a lot. I love how many of you are sharing your thoughts as to why he isn't that great as his fans think him to be. I hope you don't mind that I'm keeping the discussion going. I think with him, he was extremely lucky with his break as Puttipat.  Please excuse me as I go on another exposition... 

Although I am not a lakorn expert, having seen only a handful of lakorns, I think the very concept of his character as Puttipat being a "stiff" unromantic guy who suddenly softens up and falls in love is quite novel and out of the ordinary. So with that alone, he was able to catch the attention of many viewers. A similar scenario happened here in our country where a newbie/relatively unknown guy (who wasn't really a good actor) was cast for a soap opera where he plays a clean cut, strict guy who slowly softens up and falls in love. That actor also became insanely popular quickly because everyone liked his character and his look which wasn't quite "mainstream" at that time. I think it's the mystery of that kind of character that is intriguing. Then all of a sudden he's everywhere so the mystery dwindles and his soap opera character is juxtaposed with his real life persona. That actor is no longer as visible but people still do think of him fondly when he does show up in the news once in a while. In a similar way, like what you said, James Ji is no longer as popular since his "real" persona, apart from Puttipat became apparent. I think that's when the fans and those whose curiosity was piqued were finally segregated. Those who embraced his more youthful and slightly (fine. very) obnoxious persona stayed as his fans, and those who were merely intrigued now expect more from him. I personally was in love with Puttipat and not really James Ji. I liked to see him as Puttipat but I cringed whenever I saw HIM. But after a while, i grew to like him for reasons I earlier mentioned. 

I think the main reason why his manager is pushing or encouraging him to do concerts (even though he sucks at it) is that with his skills and his look now, he can't really be cast in a lakorn that would have as much impact as Khun Chai Puttipat. KCP is a one-time-big-time thing. I don't think the powers that be can make it happen again. The writers, production crew, everyone can only do so much. In the end, it's the actor that has to improve. It's a chicken and egg thing as James Ji will only get better if he acts in more lakorns. That's the only way for him to get better. That's why I think it's not right to compare him with Nadech. James Ji, as he is now, can never reach the same level as Nadech from the simple fact that James JI hasn't acted in as many lakorns. And i think the fact that he's difficult to cast is a big factor. 

First, he looks too young, that's why they have to put him in suits and downplay his hairdo so as not to make him look like an adolescent boy (in NNS, he also looked like he had baby fat still, so .. well... you know. Can't really take him seriously as a dramatic actor with that.) I suppose back then, it worked in Khun Chai Puttipat because people were not completely aware that he was such a boy in real life while the lakorn was showing. I remember he had an interview where he said people didn't really recognize him in the streets because his character in the lakorn had glasses and usually he goes out without glasses. But rewatching the series again, you cannot un-see what you've already seen. Now I can't help but notice how young he really looks in that lakorn, although to my mind, his acting was good enough for me to believe that he was 30+ in most of the important scenes.  Second, he's having problems with getting cast with an actress who looks younger. He has to be paired up with a veteran actress because he's still not good in acting so he'd need someone to pull him up, but the problem is, he looks younger than most of these veteran actresses. Third, he can't do another Puttipat. I don't know how it is with lakorns but with Japanese, Korean or even Filipino soaps, the characters, especially the men, cannot play the same character over and over because they'll just be compared/typecast and people would eventually get bored. Although I personally want to see him in another Puttipat-type character, I don't think he'd be able to recreate that same vibe/aura again. Maybe he can be a nerd again, but a different kind of nerd in a different kind of scenario. Fourth, since it's hard to make look older, it is likewise difficult to make a lakorn with young characters. This one I'm not sure, but so far, I haven't watched a Lakorn with college characters. I think he's in that older than Hormones but younger than Ab Ruk online age. It's hard to navigate. Definitely of all the lakorns I've seen, those that had "impact" were those where the characters were much older. or maybe it's because i'm just old....

NNS will be his make or break. If he at least shows improvement then I think he'll stay on the game, as an actor. If not, I think that's what his manager is banking on, at least he would still have a "unique selling proposition" - that is, he can still be pop icon of some sort. He'll be jack of all trades but master of none. At least it would buy him time to improve and would not completely kick him out of the game. 
I believe people had such high expectation after he gain so much fame in such a short amount of time that people just became weary and disappointed. Also a point you have made, he does seem over confident and that it didn't work in his favor as it came off as being shameless and greedy. He shouldn't have bragged that he learned dancing from a top notch Korean choreographer, again it didn't work in his favor. Being in the entertainment business, you must know when to be humble. 

I don't want to compare but I will compare him to Mario. Mario is in no way a singer but when he grasp the stage, it's all fun and endearing. Oppose to James Ji, I see that he's trying so hard to impress that it takes away the enjoyment. I don't know how to explain it. 

Again I am not totally opposed to it. I just didn't expect for it to come so soon especially when he is not a singer and have yet to make any progress as an actor. I was very disappointed in Ruk Sudrit and everything afterward. 

I can see why some people compare him to Nadech since Nadech too gain an immerse of popularity after 4HJHKK.

Tik_lover

sarNie Hatchling
James gained popularity over KCP but than as time past by, James starts to fall apart, he is having less news now because he is focusing too much on trying to sing and do concerts. I don't get it why his manager wants him ot sing and do concerts so much. Not to be mean here but if he really wants to be a sing than be a singer because, dude..your acting sucks. I can't take him seriously because he has such a baby face. I find him not mature-ness. I didn't even get it why NNS was and had to be remake. I thought that Anawat should of been given to an more mature actor since actors now a days are very baby looking. Anyways James should focus on his acting skill and not singing skill because he is an "ACTOR" not a singer. But he likes to sing that much, than go and be a "SINGER" because I can tell that in the future, James is going to be popular because of his name and not because of his skill, talent and acting.

sarNie Adult
Tik_lover said:
James gained popularity over KCP but than as time past by, James starts to fall apart, he is having less news now because he is focusing too much on trying to sing and do concerts. I don't get it why his manager wants him ot sing and do concerts so much. Not to be mean here but if he really wants to be a sing than be a singer because, dude..your acting sucks. I can't take him seriously because he has such a baby face. I find him not mature-ness. I didn't even get it why NNS was and had to be remake. I thought that Anawat should of been given to an more mature actor since actors now a days are very baby looking. Anyways James should focus on his acting skill and not singing skill because he is an "ACTOR" not a singer. But he likes to sing that much, than go and be a "SINGER" because I can tell that in the future, James is going to be popular because of his name and not because of his skill, talent and acting.

I think his manager is buying him time while he "changes" his image (either through surgery or through burning down the chubby cheeks) that's why he's into many non-acting related things, like concerts, events, etc. As I said it's hard to cast him in a serious lakorn when he's so young looking and the leading ladies look older than him. So that's why he's catering more to the tween target market and doing concerts and stuff ... like Justin Bieber. or something. Hopefully when the tweens are mature enough, they get to be his fans when he does more serious stuff. I just seriously hope and pray he does mature and improve enough to be able to get offers for serious or at least interesting lakorns. I think to be cast and act in lakorns is his only way to improve his acting. 

Lazydramafan

sarNie Hatchling
http://websta.me/p/984740579173069973_332390380
http://websta.me/p/984721219004003956_332390380
http://websta.me/p/984722158419048090_332390380
Credits to f3fanclub IG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eWZi4-K6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5gZ3rMRrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFmf_aGFgF8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6PWcc7Yrk
Credits to Search Entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf0MOrO-Dwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbW-KR_KBaM
Credits to Jirayu Home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQJozyn-rU
Credits to เรื่องเล่าเช้านี้ บีอีซี-เทโร

James Jirayu original written song - Would you marry me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzCIk6OMOi0
Credits to Jirayu Tangsrisuk

040156 - Ballroom dance was the theme of the movie First Love with James Ji on 2013. Maybe because of that movie feedback...they are trying to invest in other styles, but ballroom dance is still what some seem to relate the most with JJ. Here are two articles related to the James Ji movies:

http://www.student-weekly.com/160913/160913-entertain02.html#.VVSp21KwdUU
http://news.asiainterlaw.com/love-letter-james-wants-another-shot-movies/

Also the Monkey King fan meeting had prices of professional singers show level as this Magic James Concert does too so it seems normal to me for some to get curious to watch and see what did his fans invested their money in it on youtube or on TV. But to pay to attend to it...then yeah basically fans. Also some reporters and lakorn producers did attend to the Monkey King fan meeting as well.

Magic James concert will have two rounds so not just one session as the Monkey King fan meeting. And it seems more styled to look like the Lor Maak Maak concert and the Give me 5 concert but with more expensive VIP tickets than those two other ones.

James Ji's manager at 0:50 forward in the video below if you haven't watched this yet....please do it. The crown talk at 3:06....well at the time did tributed to the Monkey King concept.....but even though the boy's eyes looked like that some were still a bit surprised on how tired JJ was in the begin of 2014. Your comments analysis do seem to match to quite some of his manager perspectives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNJPMOUg6Wo
Credits to Jirayu Home

And please prepare yourself well for the Magic James Concert feedback, because it seems like they are trying to work for a theme concept there in some of the videos promotions above on Search Entertainment YT channel. Plus some guests names are showing up already and some of the guests fans will probably follow the concert too.

fun

Expired Sarnie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQJozyn-rU

I don't want to sound mean or anything but he still needs to work on his performances. His dancing isn't the problem, it's his face. I can't help but laugh. I think James Ji is one of the fortunate guy on my list that despite pulling so much crap on me as a fan, I still somewhat follow him. He's this close to losing one fan who actually want to see him progress as an actor and not a singer.

Lazydramafan

sarNie Hatchling
Repost of Magic James Concert promotion videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxMU_sKHHt4
Credits to TV3 Official

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDf_k1B5Ryc
Credits to Social Trend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0hi9CXYts
Credits to เรื่องเล่าเช้านี้ บีอีซี-เทโร

Lazydramafan

sarNie Hatchling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvYXITAqgnQ