Legendary Actress Namngern Boonak Speaks About "Krasue Yai Saai" Legend

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
Translated interview from Sanookhttp://news.sanook.com/1810018/
Legendary Actress Namngern Boonak Speaks About "Krasue Yai Saai" Legend

With over 60 years of experience in the entertainment industry, many people including your grandparents are sure to recognize the name of legendary actress Namngern Boonak, or as people in the ET would call her, Khun Mae Namngern. She became famous after her role in the terrifying lakorn called Krasue that aired in 1994 (a type of filth eating spirit from Thai legends that is human by day but detaches its head from its body at night to prey on human flesh and animals). During that time, all the young children and toddlers would be afraid of Krasue Yai Saai (Krasue Grandma Saai) because they thought she was real. (I WAS ONE OF THEM LOL.)    

Recently, Dao Nai Dua Jai from Channel 10 had the opportunity to interview her about her role for lakorn Krasue. Many people might not know of Khun Mae Namngern's current lifestyle. She still drives herself to lakorn sets to film lakorns. 

How do you feel about the memorable role of Krasue Yai Saai?
During the time I played the role, I was very tired. Krasue is a filth eating spirit that goes out at night. We would have to film all night. It was extremely tiring. It's tiring when they had to use the technique of having my head detach from my body. Before my head becomes detached, I'd have to act as the spirit as well. It's not a normal kind of acting. My mouth had to have blood on it too. My head had to move like a krasue as accurate as possible. My head, my face, and my body were all soiled and messy.

Do you still remember the acting technique you used for when you detached your head?
I did it from evening until very late into the night (laughs). My bladder was detached and floating. Sometimes, they took pig intestines and had to blow into them so they'd expand. They didn't die yet (jokes). Sometimes, they'd blow into it until it becomes pregnant (talking about how it expands) (laughs). The police likes to come search our cars at night. At the time, we went to shoot at Lat Lum Kaew. I'd tap on the car windows. My hair was pretty messy. The police was startled when he saw me (laughs). When he realized it was me, he was like, "Oh, it's you auntie." (laughs).

This lakorn was very famous at that time.
When I went to Sing Buri Province, there was a child who saw me and cried. He hugged his father's neck tightly. His mother told the child to not be afraid of grandma. Another incident was when I went to eat noodles at Lat Praao. There was a small young boy who snuck to look at me by the door (laughs). The child's mother told me how he liked to watch the lakorn. However, before the krasue comes out on tv, he'd run to the prayer room to grab a holy bead necklace to wear. He's scared but still wants to watch (laugh). One time, I went to make merit with my friend. We were trying to raise money for the temple, so I'd go on stage with my friend. The children there recognized me and started crying in fear.        

Presently, do you still receive continuous work?
I still receive work because the people during my generation are decreasng (laughs). They give roles they see fitting for me. Right now, I'm filming lakorn Prissana. I play as Prissana's grandmother. Filming is completed.   

Until now, you still drive yourself to places no matter the distance?
I drive myself because I've been driving since I was younger. I go by myself. No matter the distance, I still go by myself. 

Don't you become tired from driving yourself to the lakorn set?
It's not tiring to drive out of town. It's more tiring to drive in Bangkok (laughs). There's so much traffic. 

What do you want to say to people who follow your work until this day?
I want to tell those from my generation that are remaining fewer and fewer each day (laughs), we have to follow and cheer for each other na ka (smiles). I want to wish everyone good health. Whatever you set your mind on doing may you become successful as you desire. As for children of our future generation, please set your mind on school and education. Pass all your exams and become number one all the time. May you progress forward and achieve success in the future. May God bless you all every day.

I don't know if you guys have ever watched Krasue of 1994 but it's one of the best horror lakorns in Thai history EVER! This lakorn scared me since I was little until now. Lol. I thought it was real also. Considering the lack of technology back then, it looked so realistic. I remember my cousin using it to scare me to go to bed since I wanted to stay up. Lol. Every time I saw it onscreen, me and my nephews would run into the other room screaming if we were alone. Lol. It's such a classic. Khun Mae Namngern is legendary all right. She has played in all kinds of impressive roles. Ones that had me scared and in tears due her sad characters. She's an amazing actress. She was also Klaao's mother in Mon Ruk Look Toong 1995. She also played p'ek's crazy mother in Nampeung Satan. I love this lady! Here's the opening to Krasue if you guys are interested. Lol. It's scary!    
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcOhhuJ9NsQ

Beautiful OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbP6YUSa0s

sarN

sarNie Granny
Girl, you on a roll tonight ^^^ Not a fan of horror movie BUT I KNOW she play the crazy mom from "Nampeung Satan" I have to take my shoes off to count how many rscene was in there HAHAHA

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
I haven't been translating much articles so I found some interesting ones to talk about. Lol. I hope AF backs them up and not lose them. Haha. 

rockateur

sarNie Hatchling
She is indeed a legendary actress and surely Krasue is one of most popular/classical horror lakorns to date. Speaking of Krasue brings back old memories of my mom poking fan at me for refusing to watch it with her because at that time I thought it was insanely scary. I still have it on VHS and although it's a very good lakorn, clearly it's not something I feel like re-watching in broad daylight or nighttime for that matter haha. I also give credits to Tom Ratchaneekorn for acting so well in here. She didn't do that many lakorns but she was one of favorites along with Ann Siriam. 

Koy123

sarNie OldFart
Gosh, that lakorn still scare the living hell out of me. I hated the p'ek so much in that lakorn... He was a dumb one.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
rockateur said:
She is indeed a legendary actress and surely Krasue is one of most popular/classical horror lakorns to date. Speaking of Krasue brings back old memories of my mom poking fan at me for refusing to watch it with her because at that time I thought it was insanely scary. I still have it on VHS and although it's a very good lakorn, clearly it's not something I feel like re-watching in broad daylight or nighttime for that matter haha. I also give credits to Tom Ratchaneekorn for acting so well in here. She didn't do that many lakorns but she was one of favorites along with Ann Siriam. 
I have it on VHS too and don't want to watch it ever, especially at night. Lol. 

xodxo

Trapped in MueyxTian's World! ❤️
Wait! Someone refresh my memory! Is she a woman by day, but the old granny/krasue by night?? I don't know the script? Are there two people playing krasue?

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
xodxo said:
Wait! Someone refresh my memory! Is she a woman by day, but the old granny/krasue by night?? I don't know the script? Are there two people playing krasue?
Only one person is playing krasue. Krasues are human by day. At night, they become a krasue and detach their heads from their bodies to prey on flesh. They like to eat fetuses so pregnant women have to not go out at night or their fetuses might become eaten. It's like a Thai version of a vampire. They come out at night and go back into their bodies in daylight to disguise themselves as a normal human being. Whatever you do, do not drink or eat from someone who is a krasue because their saliva will turn you into a krasue yourself. It's fictional so don't worry. Lol. You won't meet one. But just like every legend, some people think it may have once existed. 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
Interesting.  I'm actually a fan of folk tales.. and was always curious about krasue.  Thanks for explaining Mahalo :)  Nattaraht Maurice & Ploy P. were rececently in an evening lakorn that dealt with Krasue too.

I love this veteran actress.  I haven't seen all her works, but most of the ones that I have, she's done great.  I definitely did not know that she was in that horror lakorn.  It's nice to know that she is still active :)

xodxo

Mahalo said:
Only one person is playing krasue. Krasues are human by day. At night, they become a krasue and detach their heads from their bodies to prey on flesh. They like to eat fetuses so pregnant women have to not go out at night or their fetuses might become eaten. It's like a Thai version of a vampire. They come out at night and go back into their bodies in daylight to disguise themselves as a normal human being. Whatever you do, do not drink or eat from someone who is a krasue because their saliva will turn you into a krasue yourself. It's fictional so don't worry. Lol. You won't meet one. But just like every legend, some people think it may have once existed. 

thanks dear.

so, who plays the krasue? is it the old lady? i dont think i got my answer question. i meant to ask is the day time krasue played by a young girl, and night time played by the old lady? or is it the old lady who played both day time human/night time krasue?

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
xodxo said:

thanks dear.

so, who plays the krasue? is it the old lady? i dont think i got my answer question. i meant to ask is the day time krasue played by a young girl, and night time played by the old lady? or is it the old lady who played both day time human/night time krasue?
Yes, only the old lady in the picture above played the krasue, but she passed on her position to her grandchild. That's why you see the younger girl being a krasue as well. She was her grandma's successor.

xodxo

Mahalo said:
Yes, only the old lady in the picture above played the krasue, but she passed on her position to her grandchild. That's why you see the younger girl being a krasue as well. She was her grandma's successor.

thanks! i now see why there are multiple krasue in the lakorn. its for sure a freaky lakorn.

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
I haven't seen the 1994 version. I was too young (only 5) I don't think my parentals would had let me. I know about it from stories and seeing some remakes. Does anyone know where I can watch the 1994 version. The original storyline is always the scariest. 

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
aymieluvsyu637 said:
I haven't seen the 1994 version. I was too young (only 5) I don't think my parentals would had let me. I know about it from stories and seeing some remakes. Does anyone know where I can watch the 1994 version. The original storyline is always the scariest. 
You can watch it from this user.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXCse9jVNxY

Step

Mrs James Ma
The krasue story is very scary to read   :nailbiter:  :nailbiter:  :nailbiter:  :nailbiter:

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
No remakes yet. I don't think it's the type of genre today's audience are into. It was popular back then because it was a unique horror. Ch.3 had an evening lakorn centered around krasue but it was more comedic. That was the only recent lakorn that revolved around krasue. But for the past decade, nothing much really.

rockateur

sarNie Hatchling
No remake yet but Channel 7 recently bought the copyrights to it so be expected to see that happening in the next few years. They're likely going to focus on Sao Lohid first before working on this one and Sao Lohid will take a while since they haven't even finished writing the script.