BajiRao Mastani (SLB Films)

Step

Mrs James Ma

[THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL POSTER BUT FANMADE]

This is an Indian historical romance movie directed and produced by Sanjay Leela Bhansali (who was the director of Hum Dil De Chuke SanamDevdasGoliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela). The film narrates the story of the Maratha Peshwa Baji Rao I and his second wife Mastani.
Ranveer Singh plays Peshwa Baji Rao and Deepika plays Mastani, his second wife. Priyanka Chopra plays Baji Rao's first wife, Kashibai.

Sanjay directed Ramleela with Ranveer and Deepika, which brought him back the value he had lost with his previous movies. Now he wants to recreate the magic again with the same pair Deepika-Ranveer. Deepika is the Queen Of Bollywood since 2012. People have high expectations on this movie.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Anju Modi is working on the costumes for Bajirao Mastani. She said Deepika Padukone will sport a 'royal style' in the film. "Deepika will be seen dressed in royal style, plus she is playing a Muslim character in the film, so we have tried to give her sharara and kurtis. 'Bajirao Mastani' is a period movie. So, we have kept old Mughal style Angarkha and Maharasthrian style Navwari saris as it's a story about the Maratha Peshwas."

Ranveer travelled to different cities in Maharashtra with Anju Modi, who is the costume designer of the film, and has been sharing his inputs about the clothes - turbans, dhotis and angarakhas.

cecilia

Staff member
WOw! i look forward to this ... hope the storyline is good. I just love his style of filming because of the vibrant colors in there :)

Deepika .. going to be one gorgeous queen!

Step

Mrs James Ma
It's a real story of Peshwa Baji Rao and his two wives. He was the King. We even get to see war here.
cecilia said:
WOw! i look forward to this ... hope the storyline is good. I just love his style of filming because of the vibrant colors in there :)

Deepika .. going to be one gorgeous queen!

Step

Mrs James Ma
Earlier Ajay Devgan (Kajol's husband) was rumored to play Bajirao but Ranveer Singh was selected to play Bajirao. Ranveer was the first one to be selected for this movie and then Deepika.
Kareena Kapoor was signed to play Mastani but she walked out of the movie (she does this for most of the movies). Then Deepika was selected as she had already played Leela in Ram Leela and she suits Mastani well. 
Ranveer on hearing Deepika would play as his Mastani said "I am extremely fond of Deepika at a personal level, and am really proud of her, and am lucky and blessed to have her as MASTANI. We were much loved as a couple in RAM LEELA. And Bhansali’s magnum opus, the way BAJIRAO MASTANI is shaping up, RAM LEELA feels like a warm up!".

Step

Mrs James Ma
Ranveer Singh went bald for real for this. Ranveer not only had to shave his head to achieve the look for the film, but he also had to wear a 17 kg original armour while shooting for it.

Look of the actors are kept in secret. Till now only sneak peaks are released. This i s Priyanka Chopra's look (plays Kashibai, Bajirao's first wife).

cr priyanka

Step

Mrs James Ma
There will be a dance-off between the two female leads Deepika Padukone and Priyanka Chopra. SLB has composed solo songs for both his heroines. And then there is that one peak in the melodic curve when Deepika and Priyanka will burn the dance floor together.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Talking about the dance-off, remo D'Souza (choreographer) said “Both Deepika and Priyanka danced their hearts out. But there was no sense of competitiveness between them. That worked to my song’s advantage. They both contributed to making the number very special.”
They have borrowed the steps of SLB's cook, the lady whom he calls Maausi. "There is a particular hybridized step that she practices. We borrowed her step and then worked on it.”

Step

Mrs James Ma
Priyanka posted this pic of hers and Deepika's feet while practicing for a Lavani dance-off
"We ain't no ballerinas.. #BalleRanis do it in style! say what @deepikapadukone"

Step

Mrs James Ma
Madhuri Dixit who had a dance off with Aishwarya Rai in 'Devdas' for the song 'Dola Re' said that she is excited to see Deepika and Priyanka's song. She said "Anything about dance always excites me, so I am very, very excited to see Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone's dance in 'Bajirao Mastani'".

BM's dance is compared to 'Dola Re' as both movies are directed by SLB and both songs have two heroines dancing off.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Choreographer Remo D’Souza is choreographing the dance. His style of dancing is very urban. Remo said “I was stumped when Sanjay Bhansali asked me to do this earthy folk number. I wanted to know how he thought of me for this when I am identified with a far more urban choreography in numbers like Disco deewane and Budtameez dil. But he said the challenge was in making me discard my image and do something totally unexpected.”
He clarifies that the dance he shot on Deepika and Priyanka is not a lavni, as widely reported. “No, it’s not a lavni. That misapprehension was the result of the way the two ladies wore their sarees.”
“Both Deepika and Priyanka danced their hearts out. But there was no sense of competitiveness between them. That worked to my song’s advantage. They both contributed to making the number very special.”

Step

Mrs James Ma
Priyanka on dancing with Deepika "Shooting with Deepika for the dance number was absolutely brilliant. I am glad we did this together, especially because she is a friend and I have known her for a while now. I really like the way it's turned out."

Step

Mrs James Ma
Deepika on SLB (the director) "I think we have a beautiful actor-director relationship as he doesn't need to talk to me too much, doesn't need to direct me too much... it's been one of the most beautiful relationships that's based on trust. I consider myself fortunate and lucky that I got to work with him in two films".
"After 'Ram-Leela', the kind of hard work he had put into it, I didn't think he was ready to start his next film, but exactly in a year's time, he was ready with 'Bajirao Mastani' and he cast me as Mastani in it. It's the biggest film of his (Bhansali's) career. It's the script that he has lived with for 10 years. Everything that he has learnt, he has put into this film. I feel fortunate to be part of this film and be a lead".
cr IANS

Step

Mrs James Ma
To apt the look of Kashibai (played by Priyanka), nosepins and sarees have been handpicked from various parts of the state. Film’s stylist Anju Modi had to put in year-long labor in assembling PeeCee’s look. We hear that Priyanka has worn as many as 40 of the 11 meters long Navvari sarees, and nose rings from Nashik and Pune, throughout the length of the film.

cr reports

Step

Mrs James Ma
From an interview, Deepika talking about Bajirao Mastani, Ranveer Singh (her co-star and close friend) are here.

As we speak, you are shooting night schedules for ‘Bajirao Mastani’. Priyanka has mentioned the extensive rehearsals and preparations, as has Ranveer. Do you like working on a Sanjay Bhansali magnum opus?
It is a special feeling. Firstly the fact that I am getting to work with him again is special. After completing ‘Ram Leela’ , I didn’t think he firstly, he would want to direct his next film so soon. Secondly, I didn’t think that he would immediately want to cast me in his next film (Pauses). Most importantly, ‘Bajirao Mastani’ has been a script that Sanjay has been living with for 10 years now; and he knows every comma and full stop in it. Lets put it this way- when I came into the industry, I used to read about ‘Bajirao Mastani’ & Sanjay wanting to make the film back then with so many other people. I had never ever imagined that I would be on this set today, and that I would play the title role.

In ‘Ram Leela’ Ranveer & you shared cackling chemistry. Do we see some of that in this film too?
Well I hope so. As actors & performers, we can deliver something very different this time. While I understand the chemistry in ‘Ram Leela’ was liked, but we hope to deliver a different aspect of it in ‘Bajirao Mastani’. So while there is chemistry, hopefully, it will be different onscreen.

While the media has always covered your life, how do you deal with the fact that a phone call, made in private, also makes news now? Does it bother you or do you take such reports in your stride?
Arre I’ve always taken everything in my stride! There’s too much good that happens in my life; too many good things have come to me. Of course, it’s the result of the hard work one puts in also. There’s too much niceness and too many good things happening to me to bother ever. These aspects are part and parcel of an actor’s life and I can deal with them.

cr reports

Step

Mrs James Ma
An insider revealed about the shooting. He said while all members of cast, including the stars are called in by 8PM for the all night shoot, they are expected to wait on set even if their shot is much later. The idea is for them to get in the mood & spirit of this project. In the meantime, their access to phones & the internet is strictly restricted. SLB also doesn't like smoking on set but that could just be a fire safety measure too. Once, a set of clay lamps (diyas) stood in the faraway corner of a frame; and they weren’t set perfectly right. SLB wanted this bit corrected and halted shooting till this was done! The perfectionist has taken as many as 32 takes to get the film’s dance sequences right. All throughout, he likes his set to be clear of people who aren't involved during a scene. He also maintains discipline & his actors obey.

cr IANS

Step

Mrs James Ma
Priyanka said her role in this film was emotionally draining. She said “I haven't dealt with such emotions. I needed to find out a way to feel those emotions to portray the same. In those times, the women did not say as much, so it’s mostly expressions. I am not vocal. I have a poignant role, where Kashibai is a tortured soul. For the first few days, I used to be so emotionally drained that I could not have conversations with people,”

Step

Mrs James Ma
Ranveer (male lead) had a near meltdown on the sets. he said “I was extremely nervous when I drove down to the shoot. I had not faced the camera in two-and-a-half months and I was having a near meltdown". He then called up his father, Jagjit Singh Bhavnani. Ranveer’s father is a confidante and a friend to him and his pep talk helped him calm down. Ranveer said, “My father was very reassuring and told me that it was just like swimming. He assured me I'd be just fine. I heard him out, reached the set, put on my costume and I immediately felt like the great Maratha warrior Peshwa Bajirao. After that I went out there and nailed it.”

cr IANS