Celebs with changed name

Step

Mrs James Ma
I know 3 actors who have changed their name. Rome Patchata's new name is Ohm Atshar and Ploy Cherman's name is Laila but people still call her Ploy Cherman. Ekachai Buranaphanit is Tankhun Jitissara. Are there others?

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
There's also Best Chanidapa Pongsilpipat who used to be Best Aticha and Fang Pitchaya Chaowalit used to be Srithep instead of Chaowalit. May Orwannasa who changed to Bunthita.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Thank you bieluvr. Names are confusing though lol
Bieluvr said:
There's also Best Chanidapa Pongsilpipat who used to be Best Aticha and Fang Pitchaya Chaowalit used to be Srithep instead of Chaowalit. May Orwannasa who changed to Bunthita.

lakornology

sarNie Egg
I got two: Yam changed her first name from Tisha to Matira, so her correct full name is Yam Matira Tantiprasut. And there's Chat who also changed her first name from Pariyachat to Varitthisa, so her correct full name is Chat Varitthisa Limthammahisorn and technically, we should be calling her by her new nickname too which is Thi/Thisa, but no one does? Oh, the complications of Thai names changing. 

rockateur

sarNie Hatchling
Yam still uses the name Tisha just that only close family and friends call her that. Within the industry, she wants to be known as Matira. Sammy changed her name from Puntitha to Daroncha due to her mom's request but people just refer to her as Sammy Cowell. 

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Tye used to have his name changed a while back...forgot what it was...

jeanie1

sarNie Adult
Does this include the "stage names?" I think a lot of stars have stage names like Poo's entire Thai name is a stage name.

Some stars change their names, stage or real, cause some mor doo told them to, to change their luck or fortune. That's why Chat changed her name right?

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
Pretty much almost every dara has had their name changed at least once. Lol - Sometimes it's because the letters they had in their original name wasn't auspicious enough and changing a tone or changing the letters around gives them better luck.

Prakaidao

sarNie Adult
I think it's weird to change your name but it does showcase how much daras are willing to sacrifice for stardom... But I remember watching Great's segment on the show #Switch and he mentioned changing his name and some really weird and funny choices that they gave him but he settled for Warintorn.

Mahalo

sarNie OldFart
phatman said:
Rome changed his name? Why?
For good luck. His father became sick and all these bad things were happening to him. So one of the elders looked into it and suggested that he changed his name. Ever since he changed it, things have gotten better for him including his father's condition. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Mahalo said:
For good luck. His father became sick and all these bad things were happening to him. So one of the elders looked into it and suggested that he changed his name. Ever since he changed it, things have gotten better for him including his father's condition. 
Oh....but I still love Rome! Haha.

sarNie Adult
Whoa, that's interesting. In some jurisdictions, like in our country for example, it's illegal to change one's name, unless it's because of a typo or if your name is scandalous or if it's morally degrading or something. Actors changing names is also uncommon here, usually, the actor would have to go on hiatus for years then come back with a completely different image, hence different name. 

So does that mean that if they change their name, they get "baptized" (I'm sorry, I don't know the Buddhist term) again with a new name? And could they revert back to their old name?

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I don't believe Ploy changed her name, I think Laila is her Thai name and Ploy is just nick name and the lastname "Cherman" is her mother's lastname.

Didn't her sister went by their father's Thai lastname? :scratchhead2:

@040156 Not long ago in Thai society Artists/Dancers/Singers/Actors/Actresses etc. were considered a low class and inferior jobs and were look down upon, so majority of the peoples uses fake names or any names they think is catchy, easy to remember or will becomes famous instead of their real names.  So they wouldn't embarrassed their real family if others were to find out that they did this kind of inferior jobs/career.  It's very common prior the 90's to have fake names, even now some or most just use their nick name and their first name.

The two veteran actresses that I knew for sure didn't use their real name is Lalita Punyopas(sp?) and Ann Siriam.  Lalita has an English name (I believe her father is/was an English man) many years ago she shows her real passport with different names on it. Ann S. real name is Vivian Gibson (her father is/was an American).

I don't believe they had to do any of the those blessing, because they only uses the names for the jobs, but their real documents still remains their real names.  Unless of course if they changes their name due to circumstance as bad/good luck stuffs or per say by the monk etc.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Thanks for this. Learnt new thing :)
Maya_Fantasy said:
I don't believe Ploy changed her name, I think Laila is her Thai name and Ploy is just nick name and the lastname "Cherman" is her mother's lastname.

Didn't her sister went by their father's Thai lastname? :scratchhead2:

@040156 Not long ago in Thai society Artists/Dancers/Singers/Actors/Actresses etc. were considered a low class and inferior jobs and were look down upon, so majority of the peoples uses fake names or any names they think is catchy, easy to remember or will becomes famous instead of their real names.  So they wouldn't embarrassed their real family if others were to find out that they did this kind of inferior jobs/career.  It's very common prior the 90's to have fake names, even now some or most just use their nick name and their first name.

The two veteran actresses that I knew for sure didn't use their real name is Lalita Punyopas(sp?) and Ann Siriam.  Lalita has an English name (I believe her father is/was an English man) many years ago she shows her real passport with different names on it. Ann S. real name is Vivian Gibson (her father is/was an American).

I don't believe they had to do any of the those blessing, because they only uses the names for the jobs, but their real documents still remains their real names.  Unless of course if they changes their name due to circumstance as bad/good luck stuffs or per say by the monk etc.