Why are people so obsessed over stars they will never meet?

byebye

sarNie OldFart
Yay!!!! I get to start first lol

I always wondered that too. Sometimes, I think that people love the idea that a celebrity is bigger than life itself. And that make the person bigger than they should be. Nothing wrong in liking someone because they are talented but to go overboard is when I think it gets crazy. And then when they make the celebrities untouchable is when you realized there are some crazy folks out there :)

Cupid Candy

sarNie Coma
I am so glad someone made a thread for this! There is good obsession where you take the time to write fanfics, make music videos and buy all your favourite's magazines. At a point I used to be obsessed with some stars and analyze everything they did but I that's okay I believe since I never attacked anyone for their differing opinion on them. It is only when fans start dissing people who 'dare' give an opposing position then it gets pretty pathetic. This is why I stay out of lakorn threads with Nadech and Yaya because they seem to hate the criticism you have for them. Even though I am a big fan of Nadech and Yaya myself it seems I am not allowed to say anything remotely critical and basically these people can't respect what I have to say and choose to confront me and tell me I am wrong. I don't get this obsession either; is it because these people are young and have nothing else to occupy their lives with or are they just disillusioned and think that they are benefiting their beloved stars by treating everything negative around them like a battle ground. Reality check to these cray cray fandoms; stars don't know who you are and cannot 'appreciate' the 'hard' work these fans are committing to. To be honest the crazy fans and the drama are the reasons I stay out of this forum. Love your stars and support them by watching their stuff and buying their things, don't attack other people just because you feel offended. 

spanky

sarNie OldFart
i don't know hahaha...i have my bias but I don't overly praise them and think of them as godly....

those obessive fans are in their own delusional world and think that the celebrity is god or something....I feel like they will be on an episode of 20/20 soon haha...

CTR

The Realist guy here period
I always try to stay even keeled
About all the things that I feel
No need to scream or squeal
Gotta know what's fake and real
No need to be mad or conceal
The madness inside your head
Cuz that's not so ideal

Support your favorite but be respectful
Don't use vulgar it's not very tasteful
It's not intellectual nor is it useful
Cuz in the end, we are all humans
So keep it real and keep it beautiful

I'm out. :bopping: :weee: :rockon: :yahoo:

Bieluvr

XiaojuXiyou
Love it that you came in poeticallly CTR. True to everything you say too.

I think stars are there for you to obsess about. Sometimes in peoples lives they really don't have anything interesting in their life so they depend on the stars to put more life into their lives. I'm not saying that being over-obsessed is good though. Those who are over-obsessed need to get help, honestly. Also I wouldn't say that they will never meet their favorite stars. It all depends on how hard you try to be able to meet them and if you know their schedule and also time and luck. There are many I know who have already met their faves and love them even more after. Yet there are some who dislike their faves after meeting them too.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Cupid candy OMG these are the same reasons I stay away from NY thread and other crazy FCs thread. And they are not just young fans, there are many who are married, have teenage kids but still are disillusioned. So its not about just age :p

Wow CTR, that poem just said everything :) thank you

sarNie Adult
I agree with N'Bieluvr, sometimes people like "idols" t make life interesting. Personally, this might come off a pathetic, but since I started "fangirling" an actor, I found that I have a hobby or something to focus my attention on, apart from my dull monotonous life. Haha. I mean, I get that excitement I used to have as a child, that innocent Hyper pure unadulterated excitement during Christmas eve. And yet i can just stay excited quietly, on my own, without having to deviate from my "real world persona". I only understood the "otaku" concept after I experienced it myself. It's almost like a drug. So i really admire actors who are able to elicit that feeling of happiness from their fans. Those actors that genuinely appear to be concerned about entertaining fans because they are aware that they are bringing them happiness are really admirable. So sure they (or their management) mooch money off you (or me, as a fan) but then I don't even think about that anymore because seeing him/supporting him gives me so much happiness. The merchandise or the money part is just a small part of being a fan. It's actually that attention or concern you give them - that you actually end up caring about their day or their work or their health that makes it "special". It's almost like you become close to a person who is a total stranger - just because he ends up not being a stranger anymore because he interacts with you at a level where you are fooled to think that he is part of your life. It's not that he's a star o "larger than life " that draws me to my object of fangirling, but actually that feeling that he can be my friend or brother, or son that makes him so fangirl-able. Or that he's admirable enough to be someone to care about. I don't know if that makes sense. As I always tell my friends, it's the closest thing I can feel to being in love, though I know it's not love (at least not the romantic type). So it's both happy and tragic at the same time. But at least if I get hurt, I have no one else to blame, but myself.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
I think no one is faulting anyone for liking someone because they are a celebrity...some fans do feel like they are connected to them for a reason. But we are not talking about the "normal" people that like them and yet be reasonable about it. But there are fans that makes their star so un-human that we could not understand. I mean, there are heated debate that goes on in here because we can't touch them with so much a word. You can say one wrong thing about their star and they are bent out of shape even if its' not bad, it feels like a little negativity or criticism can't be handed to them regardless. They make the celebrities too wholesome that it's borderline ridiculous.

Maybe I can't understand it because I just can't imagine loving someone I don't know personally to that level. How do you defend someone blindly when all you see is what they want you to see. We know nothing about these folks behind closed doors. These are the ones that most of us here can't touch..Yaya, Na, Mark, Kim and maybe one more. Try pointing some of their flaws and make them human once in a blue moon and all of a sudden you get into some arguments that gets you shaking your head :)

lovestar

sarNie Adult
To be honest, I have never once thought of meeting that many celebrities in my life. Sure, I'll make an exception for my one bias to be able to meet them and if I go to Thailand one day but not being able to meet them, I'll be devastated. As the saying goes "Huang bap haang haang" I care at a distance. Of course there's several other actors I adore but I support them on a quieter level, and it seems minimal, but I just lurk around occasionally updating myself on their news.
In respect to why people are obsessed over celebrities they'll never meet, that's just normal. This sad cycle has been ongoing since the ent industry went through a boom. Fans will always be fans. Some actors just "took jai" us so naturally we follow their news, lakorns etc despite never being able to meet them. I think that's one thing all members on this forum have in common-we are international fans. We may never have a chance to meet them so we support them at a distance (a far one too ;)).
Its heartbreaking to not see them live but pictures and videos are good enough
Also, actors and actresses provide fan service etc because they know we are obsessed with them. Their talents, looks, acting is what we love and when there's especially one person that ticks all that criteria for you, you'll love them even more. What I absolutely loathe are the koo jins/koo kwans. They are the epitome of obsession. Its kind of hard not to be drooling over two people who we "deem" to be perfect for each other. Yeh, we'll never meet them, but that's why we watch their lakorns. On screen is better then nothing
I could go onto other factors but this is what I think is vital

lovestar

sarNie Adult
Step said:
Cupid candy OMG these are the same reasons I stay away from NY thread and other crazy FCs thread. And they are not just young fans, there are many who are married, have teenage kids but still are disillusioned. So its not about just age :p

Wow CTR, that poem just said everything :) thank you
Now I don't want to generalize certain fandoms that are overly obsessed because I have come across some fans that are level-minded and accept the criticism but I do agree that its hard when the majority of the fandom are basically untouchable and sensitive to a mere partially negative comment. Tbh AF is better in terms of communication between the members compared to other Thai forums. But, again, it has been hard the past recent years where over-obsession has come to play and arguments have occurred. It is only natural that you want to defend the stars you love because in your line of sight, they are more or less perfect in a lot of ways. In saying that, I think everyone should keep an open opinion. For example, if someone were to put out a flaw in an actor I like, and its quite evident they surely have that flaw, I wouldn't take it to heart. I'll accept it because its the truth. However there are some fans that are just so notorious to the comments its ridiculous. That is a big reason why my hiatus in the Thai ent has been so long until recent times. I'm not trying to bash anyone, its just what I've been thinking...for a long time now
(I know I'm sorry I double posted but I had to get this out)

saobomp

sarNie Adult
good topic hehe. yes, some people take it to the extreme. i don't really care about their personal lives b/c they are just human and they make mistakes just like us. some are better of coping and handling their fame than others. we hear and see news but don't know behind close door what their problems are. 

i watch their lakorn or like if there something intriguing about that certain actors/actresses. i don't put them as my idol of any sort b/c the idol i see are people i see every day that have some part in my life growing up like my parents, siblings, teachers etc....

there are some out there that want to force u to like someone b/c they do. well maybe that person doesn't have what it takes for me or someone else to like? perhaps their eyes, speech, looks or acting that doesn't vow us? some can be mean about the stars. if i like i watch if not i don't. everyone have different taste and opinions. as long as we respect others opinion when they criticize the star acting then it's fine but usually it's not the case. there's always room for improvement. 

some stars are watchable and some aren't. i mean some of us are born in different era so cant expect the younger ones now a days to like the older actors etc...

of course some are not as open minded that's why arguments arise hehe. i know i had that debate at least once with someone. just b/c i felt that that person doesn't have that n'ek imagine to me but it is to her. i never mentioned that she ugly or can't act either b/c she's good at the rai roles to me.

i guess that's why at times some of us may not post comments b/c don't want to be jumped at lol.

aymieluvsyu637

sarNie Adult
HAHAHAHAHA and you did it @beachboy.

Why are people so obsessed over stars they will never meet?

Umm because Gun is the BOMB  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl: 
I'm not saying never to him yet, I always go back to Thailand to visit gma and family. The next time I go there I'll try my best to make plans to see him and drag the hubby along  :clap2: 

Prakaidao

sarNie Adult
I'm obsessed with my faves only on screen and a little off screen. But they never seem godly to me, no one is perfect, and no one in the ent industry is innocent, but I still look up to daras. They are more of a role model to me, I like watching their interviews and such, but I will only let them influence me to an extent. Like I'm not going to get plastic surgery to look like them or bash other for constructive criticism. Part of it is looks too, I'll admit, I like daras for their looks, but if they can't act then that's a different story. But yeah, I hope to never come across any of "those" fans/fandoms.

Vimalee

Live Love Laugh
There will always be a group of people who are so obsessed/passionate with stars, athletics, politicians, causes, etc, and sometimes engaged in a heated discussion, but they are the minority.    Most fans are very sensible and happy to share common interest (stars, lakorns, etc.) with many people from different places and backgrounds.

Don't know about other countries, but from what I heard it's not that difficult to meet stars in Thailand.    Many said they have met stars at restaurants and malls.    If you know their schedules, you can try to see them at events, promotions, photo shoots, taping, lakorn opening ceremony, and sometimes at filming.       NY has many international fans and they would come to AF and asked where they could meet NY when they were in Thailand.   I'm not Thai but can speak and read Thai so I tried to translate for them.     It's really nice that these fans came back and share their experiences with us.     Now we have many Thai fans that translate NY news and for that I'm thankful and happy for NY international fans.

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
There is nothing wrong with being positively obsessive with the stars you favor. It is not right if your obsession hurts others (fans of the stars you don't favor, stars you don't favor), interferes with your normal life as well as the stars' normal lives too (overly obsessive to the pointing of stalking the stars).

There were heated discussions in this one lakorn thread which got locked twice. The problems were that a person & a few people continuously mentioned an actress in this thread when it was clear as glass that she is not in the lakorn but NO her name kept popping up & comments about her being the better actress than the main actress in the lakorn, she is more professional than the main actress (topics on professionalism & work ethics) & false claims on the main actress which there were no evidences to back them up.

First of all, if this person & these few people were considerate of where to post their comments then there would not be any problems. Second, praising your favorite star but also demeaning the star you don't favor to make your favorite star looks better then that it is unacceptable. Third, slandering someone you don't favor without proofs speaks volume of how far & negative you could go. When the fans of the main actress posted comments to rebut the claims & posts by this person & these few people then they are considered as obsessive, crazy or delusional...SIGH*** Unbelievable...

Last it is not nice to generalize all fans of this/these star/stars this & that AND if you don't want to read obsessive, crazy or delusional posts of fans in the threads of their favorite stars then stay away, no one is stopping you, the person who is stopping you from not staying away is yourself.

byebye

sarNie OldFart
awwww....but that's the beauty of it, it's an open forum though. Sometimes, the actress is in a lakorn with someone that people like so they go in there and then critique the actress about how she needs to improve her acting or whatnot then all of a sudden it becomes an all out war. In AF the most problems we have is with a few well known celebrities fans.  It's a repetitive thing that a few of us just roll our eyes when that happened. And the thing is, it's a guaranteed that it happens.

Not saying all, but some of Yaya's fan wants her to remain this cute innocent girl that if you say something otherwise they will get offended...while the other actress' fans you say that her conducts are wrong, then they'll like come up with excuses after excuses as to why it's not. Everybody wants their favorite to be this beauty, angelic, perfect creature but once in a while seeing them as human is not a bad thing. They are not perfect...nor will they ever be. Hell, they probably have skeletons in their closet that hit the ceiling but the wonders of entertainment is that, no one gets to see the true self of them. Anyway, there's noting wrong with liking someone...

BeachBoy, I thought you going to insert your opinions lol...where are you? Hahahha

It's all part of being a hardcore fan! Some stars are really great entertainers or super hot or both and you can't help but love them even though you can't meet them. It doesn't necessarily mean that people wish upon a shooting star to meet a certain star they're obsessed but simply strongly admire them from afar because they hold a special place in your heart. I mean, it'd be great to meet a star I'm "obsessed" with but if they can entertain me with their talents (and looks), that's all that really matters. 

p.smilez

sarNie OldFart
Like what "byebye" mentioned about connection, a simple connection sparks it all for me when it comes to being obsessed over a certain celebrity or on-screen couple and especially having a mind-set of meeting them one day makes me even more obsessed. (I sound so crazy lol). But over time as I got older, my obsessions have gone down a few notches. There are some actresses that I have opinions about but I choose to not voice my opinions out of respect for some of my AF sisters whom I'm closed with because they like that certain actress/actresses. When I first started my account here at AF when it was still "Sarnworld" (SARN WHERE YOU AT haha), I was def more vocal but now I'm careful of what I want to say lol

Well what I can say is that after meeting some of my favorites in person, I've come to adore them even more but not obsessed over them like I was before. I hope I made sense.