2012, the Movie

PeNgUIn*3o3

sarNie Egg
Okae Sarnies... I want your opinion on this... No one is right or wrong... Jus want to hear what's your take on this matter... So I went to watch Transformer 2 and it was AWESOME and HILARIOUS!!! 5 STARS WAY UP!!! Butta anywaise... I saw the preview of 2012 and it really freaks me out... :eek: In the real world, do you think that 2012 is going to really happen or is it just another Y2K kinda deal... Because if 2012 is going to happen, I WANT TO BE WITH MY FAMILY... keke... :D Really...

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Okae Sarnies... I want your opinion on this... No one is right or wrong... Jus want to hear what's your take on this matter... So I went to watch Transformer 2 and it was AWESOME and HILARIOUS!!! 5 STARS WAY UP!!! Butta anywaise... I saw the preview of 2012 and it really freaks me out... :eek: In the real world, do you think that 2012 is going to really happen or is it just another Y2K kinda deal... Because if 2012 is going to happen, I WANT TO BE WITH MY FAMILY... keke... :D Really...

As I know, anything can happened in the future. And I know for sure that the Mayans have counted the calender since thier time and it stops at the year 2012.

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
But I'm pretty sure peoples on this earth are just gonna wipe out each other with their war and hunger for power, for the use of nuclear weapons. And I do beleive that meteor strikes are a high possibility in the future. History might just repeat itself.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Y2K was a joke. People made it out to be a bigger deal than it actually was. I still can't believe people were freaking out about that. :rolleyes:

As for 2012...I don't know. I honestly don't think it'll be an "end of the world" situation.
If anything happens at all I think it'll be a major event that will effect humanity and not the world. But like I said...if anything happens at all.

cecilia

Staff member
i thought the preview was a BIT FREAKY -- got me on my seat tight (actually, i hate anything that involve watching/seeing the space, it's a creepy view ==for me) ..
as for end of the world, i don't believe it .. could just be another y2k .. or perhaps, they mayan thought that it'll be the end b/c they decide to end it there LOl ..

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Honestly, there is alot of misconception about 2012. I did lots of research on this actually because at one point it really interested me lol. Here is what I think many people don't consider when it comes to the mayan calendar and 2012

The Mayan Calendar ends on 2012, But not many people know that the calendar is actually just a long count calendar of shorter calendars So once 2012 comes along it's going to be just like December and the Calendar will start all over *At least this is what I've read

It's been said, "The world as we know it will end" It could mean just changes for the world. Not the world itself will end. Just that the world as we know it will end.

Also, many people think a Polar shift will destroy the world. Well, if anyone paid attention in science they would know that a Polar Shift doesn't occur right away. It takes thousands of years for a Polar Shift to Completely Occur.

Not to mention the geomagnetic reversal which occurs every 11 years.

The earth is shifting as we speak and I'm pretty sure if we will make a complete shift by 2012 then it'll be very well known by now.

It pisses me off when people think that the earth will shift from north to south pole in one day which happens to be the day of doomsday. If the earth could spin that fast we wouldn't need to worry about burning to death we would need to worry about earthquakes from the earth's spin :lol:

However, I don't know. Just all these alone can't convince me that something may not happen. In The future anything can happen. I think we shouldn't worry to much about 3 years from now because we can't even make today and tomorrow a better day. We're so hell bent on "avoiding" the problem that we've never stopped and thought about fixing the problem or making things better.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
lol. just joking here, but i have to get my BA before the world ends on 2012..lol it should end after i get my BA in june of 2012. then i can say i accomplished something.....haha

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
i don't know if 2012 will be real or not..
but i also heard like the end of the world will be another ice age..
or falling meteors....

Vamkim

sarNie Juvenile
Most of all, nothing really killed humans except that humans are killing humans. And human are whats killing the earth.

darvil

sarNie Adult
nothing will happen.. and if something significant does happen, I'll cut my left nut.

Thats how confident I am about it.

Katerine

Butterfly123
LMAO Darvil lol

but i yeh i doubt anything will haven they said what on the 6/6/06 the world would end or the devil will rise or somthing along those line and look at us now still on earth. it a load off bull is what my dad would say! lol

but looking forward to the movie whenever it arrives in the uk :p

ijohn

sarNie Adult
Mayan Calendar
[size=-1]The life of the Maya revolved around the concept of time. Priests were consulted on civil, agricultural and religious matters, and their advice would be derived from readings of the sacred calendars. Time was of such importance that children were even named after the date on which they were born.[/size]

[size=-1]Maya math uses only three symbols - a shell-shaped glyph for zero, a dot for one and a bar for five to represent units from zero to 19. For instance, the number 13 was represented as three dots and two bars.[/size]

[size=-1]Zero was an advanced concept in those days, something that the Romans were not aware of. Yet the Maya were comfortable enough with it to use a shell as its symbol, a tangible object representing an abstract concept. The Maya also used metrical calculation and place numeration, which were very clever for a culture that didn't use the wheel![/size]

[size=-1]Although they had many calendars, they marked the passage of time with three cycles that ran in parallel. [/size]

[size=-1]The first is the scared calendar known as the Tzolkin. It combines the numbers from 1 through 13 with a sequence of 20 day-names. It works in a similar manner to our named days of the week, and their date within each month. So you might have 5-Chikchan (like our Sunday the 5th) followed by 6-Kimi (as we would have Monday the 6th). After 260 days the same number/name combination will re-occur, and the calendar starts anew. Their use of the vigesimal (base 20) numbering system probably relates to fingers and toes, whereas the 13 nicely fits the growth phase of the moon which isn't visible when new and appears full for two days on end, thus appearing to have a 13 day growth cycle. Alternatively, the length of the Tzolkin may be related to the human gestation period of nine months (273 days). It has been suggested that 260 days is the time between a woman suspecting her pregnancy (she doesn't menstruate) and when she gives birth.[/size]

[size=-1]The second is the agricultural calendar known as the Haab, or vague year. It consists of 18 months, each of 20 days. An addition of a five-day month (a period of apprehension and bad luck named Uayeb) gives us 365 days, an approximation of a year. This calendar's primary purpose was to keep track of the seasons, for seasonal and solar events would occur on roughly the same day of each year. The Maya were aware of the annual quarter day discrepancy, but it is not known if they ever did anything about it.[/size]

[size=-1]These two independently running calendars each begin again every 260 and 360+5 days. However, every 52 years they coincide:[/size]

[size=-1]"The Tzolkin and the Haab ran concurrently, like intermeshed cog-wheels, and to return to any given date, 52 years, or 18,980 days, would have to elapse (because both 365 x 52 and 260 x 73 = 18,980). In other words, the Tzolkin would make 73 revolutions and the Haab 52, so that every 52 calendar years of 365 days one would return to the same date. A complete date in this 52-year cycle might be, for example, 2 1k 0 Pop (2 1k being the position of the day in the Tzolkin, 0 Pop the position in the Haab). Fifty-two years would pass before another 2 1k 0 Pop date returned.[/size]

[size=-1]It was expected that the world would end at the completion of a 52-year cycle. At this time, among the Mexica in the Valley of Mexico, all fires were extinguished, pregnant women were locked up lest they be turned into wild animals, children were pinched to keep them awake so that they would not turn into mice, and all pottery was broken in preparation for the end of the world. In the event the gods decided to grant man another 52 years of life on earth, however, a night time ceremony was held in which the populace followed the priests through the darkness over a causeway to the top of an old extinct volcano that rises abruptly from the floor of the basin of Mexico, known today as the Hill of the Star, the hill above Ixtapalapa. There, with all eyes on the stars, they awaited the passage of the Pleiades across the center of the heavens, which would announce the continuation of the world for another 52 years. When the precise moment came, a victim was quickly sacrificed by making a single gash in his chest and extracting the still palpitating heart. In the gory cavity the priests, with a fire drill, kindled a new flame that was quickly carried by torches across the lake to the temple in Tenochititlan, and from there to all temples and villages around the lake. This was known as the New Fire Ceremony among the Mexica, and in some way this same completion and renewal of each 52-year cycle was recognized by all Mesoamericans."http://survive2012.com/why_2012_maya.php#_edn1 [/size]

[size=-1]This is not unlike how the end of the last millennium may have felt for many Christians or doomsday cult followers.[/size]

[size=-1]Our modern Western calendar was first introduced in Europe in 1582. It was based upon the Gregorian calendar, which calculated the Earth's orbit to take 365.25 days. This was 0.0003 of a day per year too much, but still exceptionally accurate for scientists living over 400 years ago.[/size]

[size=-1]The Mayan calendars were derived from those of their predecessors, the Olmec, whose culture dates back at least 3,000 years. Without the instruments of 16[sup]th[/sup] century Europe, these Central American locals managed to calculate a solar year of 365.2420 days, just 0.0002 of a day short. More accurate than the Europeans, and much earlier.[/size]

The Long Count
[size=-1]A Mayan date utilises three calendars. The third calendar, known as the "long count", is a continuous record of days that starts over every 5000 years or so. The current Long Count began in 3114 BC. And it will end very soon.[/size]

[size=-1]A typical Mayan date looks like this:[/size]

[size=-1]12.18.16.2.6, 3 Cimi 4 Zotz [/size]

[size=-1]4 Zotz is the Haab date.[/size]

[size=-1]3 Cimi is the Tzolkin date.[/size]

[size=-1]12.18.16.2.6 is the Long Count date. [/size]

[size=-1]The basic unit is the kin (day), which is the last component of the Long Count. Going from right to left the remaining components are: [/size]

• [size=-1] unial........1 unial = 20 kin = 20 days[/size]
  • [size=-1]tun..........1 tun = 18 unial = 360 days = approx. 1 year[/size]
  • [size=-1]katun.......1 katun = 20 tun = 7,200 days = approx. 20 years[/size]
  • [size=-1]baktun.....1 baktun = 20 katun = 144,000 days = approx. 394 years[/size]
[size=-1] The kin, tun, and katun are numbered from 0 to 19. [/size]

[size=-1] The unial are numbered from 0 to 17. [/size]

[size=-1] The baktun are numbered from 1 to 13.[/size]

[size=-1]The Long Count is a great cycle of 13 baktuns (roughly 5,126 years), where the use of 13 may again represent the growth of the moon from new to full. The current cycle began on 13.0.0.0.0 4 Ahau 8 Cumku which correlates to Aug. 13, 3114 BC.[/size]

[size=-1]In Mayan mythology each Long Count cycle is a world age in which the gods attempt to create pious and subservient creatures.[/size]

[size=-1]The First Age began with the creation of the Earth, and it had upon it vegetation and living beings. Unfortunately, because they lacked speech, the birds and animals were unable to pay homage to the gods and were destroyed. In the Second and Third Ages the gods created humans of mud and then wood, but these also failed to please and were wiped out. We are currently in the Fourth and Final Age, the age of the modern, fully functional human. Is it possible that these Ages referred to evolutionary change? If they did, then what might occur when the current age finishes on December 21, 2012?[/size]

[size=-1]interesting---lol
[/size]

ChenrukNote

Goddess
lol. just joking here, but i have to get my BA before the world ends on 2012..lol it should end after i get my BA in june of 2012. then i can say i accomplished something.....haha
Ditto. I need to say I accomplished something as well LOL.

noungning

Heartless
i think if anything, it'd just be a lot of people dying because the cycle of life. and besides the world has too much population and it's getting a bit crowded. kinda sad.

things come along as time comes, like who knows if we won't get a testing bomb thrown at us any minute now?

little

sarNie Adult
i thought the preview was a BIT FREAKY -- got me on my seat tight (actually, i hate anything that involve watching/seeing the space, it's a creepy view ==for me) ..
as for end of the world, i don't believe it .. could just be another y2k .. or perhaps, they mayan thought that it'll be the end b/c they decide to end it there LOl ..

cecilia i thought i'm the only scary cat, crazy weird cuz i get freak out seeing/watching anything that deals with space, bodie of water, snakes it makes my heart race when i do watch tv and sees space, ocean, snakes i hate it but yet i want to watch it cuz i want to learn but i don't dare cuz it makes me feel like i'm in there and i get scared

sirena

sarNie Adult
HI EVERYONE!!!!! REMEMBER ME?!?!? I MISSS U GUYS!!!!!

i bet ppl are like "omg -_-" lol

anyways i just wanted to say hi and glad to be back i havent gone on for like ...long time lol

sorry for hijacking the thread, forgive me

anyhow, back to topic

you guys are gonna think im so weird but i KINDA wish something significant would happen......i don't know i don't want people to die or anyone to get hurt, but i just want something big to happen....something outta this earth...lol

call me crazy but i love action and nature and all that stuff :D

talking about afraid of snakes did u guys see the document about the snake and their jaw and how it swallow this guy its crazy it was on national geo OMG