A Possible World War III???

darvil

sarNie Adult
Hey Liberty

When I was watching the opening ceremony I did hear them talk about Iran and Iraq (such as the hosts being quiet to listen to the crowd reaction) so I was a bit confused. Did a bit of a hack job there. How are the Iraqi doing? you keeping tab?

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Hey Liberty

When I was watching the opening ceremony I did hear them talk about Iran and Iraq (such as the hosts being quiet to listen to the crowd reaction) so I was a bit confused. Did a bit of a hack job there. How are the Iraqi doing? you keeping tab?
Not really keeping tabs. I check on how the US is doing once a day and that's it.
I only watch it if I happen to see it on TV. hehe Not really a sports person.
I was surprised to hear that North Korea was in it, I just assumed the government wouldn't let any of their people out of the country. :p

I'm peeved that Russia decided to invade Georgia though, what happened to no warring/invading while the Olympic is going on?!
That's how the anicent Greeks did it. They couldn't hold it off a for a month?

There are those that believe in the Mayan calendar era where their time(world) ends 2012....yikes. Also the followers of the Nostradamus prophecy believe WW III will start during that time frame....unfortunately the way of Man is full of greed, power-hungry therefore total disruction is inevitable as this not so a pleasant characteristic of human nature, which will never be satisfied once you fall victim to the chasing of absolute power. Many empires have risen and fallen because of this. It sounds a little depressing therefore I have always live my life peacefully, loving ones family, friends, neighbours, all people. Life is too short and precious, don't waste your time hating. Naive as it is but it is better than conforming to the alternative.
That's scary. But hopefully it isn't true.

SARY

sarNie Egg
I'm sorry if I am scaring people, but I think bottom line is that these theories are maybe just wake up call to human nature. We have to put less emphasis on the worldly goods and start treating and respecting each other better....Of course it is a bit of myth and truth. I have kids too, I dont want them to experience war, unfortunately war is happening now, but we dont see it because its happening on the other hemisphere, if the location was reversed....now that is scary. So lastly I am grateful to those brave souls fighting overseas but wish all of this unnecessary violence ends soon! As we know the evil leaders/culprits always get away leaving only the ignorant, innocent dead.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I think we should be treating ourselves, friends and family and stranges with respect whether the world is ending or not.
We should definitely be taking better care of our only habitable planet, regardless of what happens.

noungning

Heartless
i thought world war III happened already. USA invading another country to "save" them...

however like some, i don't think a war can kill all.

i think mother nature will eventually wipe us all off of the earth's surface because of the damage we've left behind and caused over the years we've borrowed some planks of land to live on. quite devastating in a way, but also incontrollable since minority tends to lose to the majority. and in the case of going green, saving the planet, there are just so little people that actually cares. i suppose we need more selfless people that can do things for others (i.e. their kid, their grandkids, their future beings) rather than just for themselves. i guess it's become more of "me, me, me" who cares what the world comes to, who cares what happens to the world in 100 years from now because i'd be gone.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
The US didn't invade anyone, well not recently anyways. If you're referring to what's going on right now.
To invade is to conquer or pillage, and neither of which are happening. Oh, there's warring and destruction going on but it's not actually an invasion in the defintion sense.

Don't forget that there are other nations involved as well who are fighting on the side of the US, it's not just the US.
Those other nations had a choice and they made theirs, they didn't have to follow (except those countries who are binded by an alliance treaty, but those have been broken). They could've pulled out whenever they want to instead of just sending more people over.

As for WW III, please, what's going on right now isn't even close to a WW III.
In the scope of things it's not even that big of a war, technically the US...let me rephrase that, the PRESIDENT didn't "declare" war on any country, he delcared war on "terrorism".
WW I and WW II consisted of several nations and their allies, it started with one tiny incident and blew in to a full out war, that brought in pretty much all the world's super powers. That's why it's considered a World War, and that's why what's going on isn't a World War.

noungning

Heartless
the first line was a sacastic answer, but i'll answer to your response.

from what i can remember, bush did declear war in "defense" to terrorist invasion.

i suppose it's not to the scope of the WWI WWII. but in modern day, a war that has lasted more than 6 years, killing the lives of thousands and thousands, whether innocent or not and affecting thousands more who cannot sleep because their family is a part of this restoration. to me, this is considered a great horrific event, physically we aren't battling, but we are being affected by every means of it.

at the time this began, the USA had the economical and military powers to influence other countries into "assisting" them in the war. and it could have been at a much greater caliber. because it would've been many many nations against a speck of the world. most countries would rather be friends with us than become an enemy. do you not believe this could have happened? and additionally that many of those countries would back the USA up even if they weren't so thrilled about USA? yes they have a choice, but ultimately, they are followers. there will always remain to have one nation that leads another. and like brotherhood/sisterhood, one nation will always ally with another, which brings another and so on, and so forth.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Back to what I was saying about not everyone will die. I don't think it'll happen because the US itself has never been attacked on it's mainland, why do you think it's so urban? It's never happened in the last two WWs, why would it happen now? We're just too far from everyone else, besides there's a rule that you're not suppose to attack a highly populated area (which is most of mainland US). That pretty much rules out that "everyone will die" IF there ever comes a WW III.

I don't know if this has been addressed yet since I just skimmed this whole thread, but I think you meant we haven't been attacked on mainland U.S. since the War of 1812 (Mexican-American War was fought in Texas, which wasn't technically part of the U.S. then). Anyway, that would be true, until 2001 when we were attacked in New York City.

As you guys can see, anything can happen. There are two things to consider when thinking about WWIII and the extinction of the human race. I personally think that the two go hand in hand. If there ever is a WWIII, then the world is doomed on a major cataclysmic level. With the way nuclear proliferation has played out, there's a good chance nuclear weapons will be used if a WWIII ever happen. The result would be mass devastation and mutually assured destruction on all parties. The ones that do survive would probably slowly die from radiation poisoning. However, I also don't think WWIII will ever happen. Most Western and "progressive" nations know what is at stake here. We might get into minor skirmishes, but I don't think anyone will ever let things go too far. The idea of "mutually assured destruction (MAD)" is a major deterrent to nations.

As for Iraq, this is totally an invasion. The basic definition is an unwelcoming intrusion of a country with armed forces. Whether or not the Iraq war has a happy ending is irrelevant to the idea of invasion. We went in there without the permission of the Iraqi leadership at the time. That is infringing upon a country's sovereignty. Whether or not there were reasons that warrant this invasion is personally up to your own moral code, but make no mistake that we unilaterally invaded Iraq.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
^^ Now if aliens invaded and if they are anything like the aliens from "war of the worlds," then God help us. We will be zapped into shreds and ashes.

Nameless

N i n j a
^^ Now if aliens invaded and if they are anything like the aliens from "war of the worlds," then God help us. We will be zapped into shreds and ashes.
at least we know we didn't kill each other.

and what if the aliens were kind to us? it'll be like a new race...something along the lines of the 'hamliens'