A rant about annoying Aunt from Laos

nophankh

sarNie Adult
First, I must breathe! Breathe!

I just found out today my aunt from Laos is coming to visit or maybe stay in two weeks (April 25). I'm pissed, I'm absolutely annoyed with this woman, though I rarely show it. I'm very cordial around her.

This is her 3rd trip to see us, which we have to pay for, which she doesn't consider. It's like a big game to her, come to visit and then when she goes back, we give her $500. According to my mother, if we don't give her money, it's consider rude because as people who have done well for themselves in another "first-world" country, we have an obligation to the support our families back home in Laos. It's a culture thing. Periodically, my mother sends money back to her family in Laos. What I like about my mother's side of the family is that they don't ask for money, they don't complain, they're just grateful.

The aunt I'm referring to in this thread is from my father's side, it's his younger sister. My aunt is freaking insane and insensitive, she continuously call us to ask for money. A few hundreds dollars here and there, it adds up. The first time she came my dad give her $500 when she left, two or maybe 3 months later, she asked for more money. Dude, it's LAOS. Five hundred dollars can go along way, what the hell are you spending on?

First VISIT:

The first time she came, I was excited, it was the first time she was visiting the States. I was fine with it. The grandparents who live with us were happy to see their daughter after 10 odd years separated. She had a 2-3 month visa. Then after 2 weeks, she wanted to go back home, she give grandpa her plane ticket and he lost it. There was this big mess on trying to get her flight tickets and all this junk. The main purpose of this visit was to visit her parents, my grandparents, who freaking longed to see her for all these years.

She whined to my parents, begged for money, and made my grandparents deal with all this shit so that she can come to America. My dad paid for the plane tickets, he granted her that wish and she couldn't suck it up for a few months. While she was here, she didn't do anything. Just slept all day, didn't help my mother cook, just sat around whining how she missed her kids. My aunt is married and has 2 young boys.

The second purpose of coming to America was to find "cash under the table" work. When she discovered how hard that would be, she started complaining about missing her kids. My mom said my aunt is pretty weird, other people from Laos who have the opportunity to come to America, they don't want to leave, oddly she does. After she went back to Laos, we found out she was pregnant. She lied to us. I don't understand why she didn't tell us. You're pregnant, nothing wrong with that. After she gave birth, we found out about her pregnancy. Like dude, you call us to ask for money every other month and you couldn't tell us that you're pregnant. How can that slip your mind? Lets face the facts, my aunt is shady.

With all the mess of the first visit, I was hoping we would never have to see her again. She rubbed the wrong way.

2nd VISIT

The 2nd time she visit, it was to visit my grandparents and also find work. In laos, she never worked a day in her life and now she wanted to come to America to find work. Again, stupidly, my aunt and dad forked up money for her plane ticket. I think they were forced to do it, my grandparents urged them. My grandparents are annoying too, they need to worry about themselves and not worry about her. She came and stayed with us and I was annoyed. Personally, I have low regards for her. She is a liar and manipulator. We started looking for work for her or course all illegal work. Working at factories, working at restaurants, all "cash under the table" work. She didn't like anything of them. She realized that isn't going to be easy. First, being an illegal worker, you won't get paid a lot. The cost of working in America outweigh the benefits. Within less than 2 week, she wanted to go back to LAOS. She faked a stomach issue and said she couldn't work at those places. My aunt was pissed. Like dude, this is what you wanted and we made it happen, you couldn't meet us half way. We told her thousands of times, it's not easy working as an illegal immigrant. Just stay in Laos. But no, she manipulated by grandparents with her sob story and forced everyone to bring her to AMerica again.

The day before her departure, she told me how her husband's family from France had just finished up filing papers for her whole family to go to Frane to live. I was like what the hell, you just wasted our time. If you were going to France, why did you make a big deal about coming to America? She pretty much lied about the France thing, she and her family never went to France. They are still stuck in Laos and using us again. Oh, for the second time, my dad give her $500. I know, stupid! My mother also gave her an extra $100 for her brother who lives in Vieng, a few hours away from Vientiane. She kept the $100 and lied that she gave my maternal uncle money. Nice, right!

Third Visit:

Now, she is coming back for the 3rd time. Her arrival date will be April 25, basically in 2 weeks. I was so mad when my mom told me today, my head started to hurt. I couldn't say anything. I can't stand this woman. I don't know how long she will stay with us. I have so much vent up anger, I'm about to explode.

Right now, I resent my grandparents who are financing this visit. I don't understand what they are thinking. I don't understand why my grandparents keep buying into her shit. I can't stand my grandparents, I might come off as disrespectful, my the grandparents are pretty stupid right now. My mother is pissed but is just dealing with it. I seriously just want to yell at my dad for not putting his foot down.

I don't like to put up with people I find annoying. All my aunts and uncles who live in the States find her annoying.

I want to yell and scream and beat her for being a manipulator. I want to be rude to her, I want confront her about her shadiness. Of course I can't do all of this, I come from a very proper family. I do feel suffocated around my grandparents and my parents are constantly telling me to be proper with them. I don't even feel like my grandparents are my grandparents. It's weird. We're so dysfunctional.

The thing is this, I'm pretty angry she is coming. I don't think my anger will subside. What should I do to control my anger because the time that she stays here, I will have to fake Nice and you can fake "nice' for so long.

---sorry for the long post, I'm angry. I wanted to rant.

ohitsnoyyy

Mama Noy ♥️
oohhh Lynda I know what you mean! I hate it how since they are our elders, no matter how much of a bitch or a dumbass he/she is, we gotta play nice! It pisses me off all the time! specially with my neighbor, who's a damn drunk that blasts music every day morning but we can't say anything because it's "disrespectful" <_<

I don't know how you keep your cool! If that was me, I'd probably lose my mind! I'm so impatient...

How long is she down here for anyways?

fun

Expired Sarnie
Something happen in my family so my sisters and I, right now are in Clearlake in a vacation house with my mom's side of the family without my parent lol... phew... I can't stand my dad's side of the family either. Majority are annoying. My parent never stands up for themselves and that's what makes me hate them soooo muchhhhh!!! Plus I am angry with them as well, they always side with my ex-older brother which really pisses the hell out of my other siblings and I. Lynda, don't let her manipulate you and your family again but then again I know people who can't seem to change themselve. Well I hope things goes well for you.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
oh man... Lynda, girl.. I totally feel for you... My hearts feels like since we are living the American Dream, we are somewhat obligated to help the relatives back in Laos... However, I cannot help, but think that they are taking this obligation to their advantage!! Cause every freaking letters received from Laos is always a letter asking for $500, $800, and even $1000 at a time, but still it's not enough. It's like we we gotta send send send!!!!!!!!

As for how to deal... my only suggestion is try to keep your distance! If I were you, I'd probably try to be away as much as possible so that I won't have to see her face. And once she leaves, I'd probably have a thorough talk with the parents, and hopefully there will be no 4th visit. Good luck.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
omg i feeel for u my cousin is the same we have to look after him because we r all hes got. but its annoying hes always asking for money. i think ur aunt really needs to sort her self out BIG TIME. ur parents need to put their foot down show her whos money it is. show her that money does not grow on trees. ur grandparents do it for their daughter i guess.

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
I have an uncle just like your aunt! he's my dad's older brother... he always asks money from my dad or my other uncle. he doesn't have a job at the moment and he has 2 families to support... his wife and his mistress... he was begging for money again last sunday... he said he's gonna use it for treasure hunting! wtf!! <_<

nophankh

sarNie Adult
How long is she down here for anyways?
I think this is their game plan, she is going to come to America, stay here illegally for a couple months and then be an anchor to her family back home to come here.
She wants her husband, 3 kids to come here too.

I'm so angry, I have to deal with it. I can't stand them, I don't know how I'm gonna keep it cool!

My parent never stands up for themselves and that's what makes me hate them soooo muchhhhh!!! Well I hope things goes well for you.
My dad is a pushover when it comes to my grandparents. If you look up the "dutiful son" in the dictionary, you're see my father's picture to the right. It's insane how much he puts up. I often wonder how he does it. He's probably angry too and angry with me for not having the best relationship with my grandparents. To keep the peace, he is "ZEN" about everything. I do it too, trying to make it seem like nothing is wrong when everything is wrong. I have so much vent up anger towards certain members of my family, I think I might explode.

I think I'm going to start exercising to vent.

As for how to deal... my only suggestion is try to keep your distance! If I were you, I'd probably try to be away as much as possible so that I won't have to see her face. And once she leaves, I'd probably have a thorough talk with the parents, and hopefully there will be no 4th visit. Good luck.
That is my plan, I will have to keep my distance. I've tried taking to my mother, she said to just deal with it. She is not happy either, but this is what the grandparents want. They paid for her visit. It's kinda funny how my grandparents never have money to help with things around our house, but when it comes to the Aunt back in Laos, well money just start growing from trees. The thing I'm dreading is that she will be here for a while, several months, I can only take so much.

i think ur aunt really needs to sort her self out BIG TIME. ur parents need to put their foot down show her whos money it is. show her that money does not grow on trees. ur grandparents do it for their daughter i guess.
You're right, they do. My grandparents have 8 kids, one is dead. Their favorites are the 3 youngest, which includes my aunt (40) from laos, my uncle (28)who lives in Mass, and my aunt (34) who lives around where I live.

The older kids they don't worry about. I think my aunt and dad are resentful of that.
Aunt (43) from Mass----she is pretty cool and is resentful my grandparents don't pay enough attention to her when she provides for them financially
My dad (51) --- he is resentful that he is not loved like the three younger ones when he supports my grandparents financially and emotionally.
My oldest aunt (53) lives in Florida
My uncle from France (46)

The thing that bugs me is this, when you have kids why do you have favorites?

I don't think she thinks her life needs to be sorted out, we just represent her "other" income. In Laos, she lives a decent life. Her husband makes relatively good money as a computer instructor. She has a SERVANT! She has a nanny to watch over her kids.

his wife and his mistress... he was begging for money again last sunday... he said he's gonna use it for treasure hunting! wtf!! <_<
WTF....haha TREASURE HUNTING. That's funny. Hopefully you guys didn't give him money. HAHA. Again treasure hunting.

---Thank you everyone for replying and giving me advice. I needed it, it made me feel better about the situation, at least I'm not alone.

lady0fdarkness

Lynda... for some strange reasons, when it comes to parents and their children, it seems like their least favorites are the ones who support them financially and emotionally, but the most favorite ones lives far away not having to worry about anything. I know first hand...

don't stand for it...so what if you come off and appear rude? i'm sure your family in the states will understand, since they all can't stand her either; you'd just be saying what they're all thinking and want to say. it sounds like your paternal aunt is the black sheep of the family, so you can't let it keep going like this. from the way things sound, this third visit won't be her last and it will keep continuing. no offense, but if you were the only one left (like when your grandparents and parents are gone), she would probably come around bothering you for money and all that. you have to put your foot down (seeing as to how no one else will) and put an end to all this. forget about being proper in a situation like this! my mother is a very polite and caring person, but she will not hesitate to tell someone off if they're being bothersome and outright rude like this, regardless if they're older than her or if they're family. actually, my dad is the more silent one in such cases.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
omg.. i hate ppl like that.. argh i got relatives from laos, australia.. etc.. calling and asking my dad for money 24/7 ... >_<.. and what sucks is that they always call.. ask who you are.. you reply back then they hang up.. <--- seriously.. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.. if they keep doing that imma blow up the phone.. >_< .. they always ask for so much money too!!!!! argh.. we havent even reached the jackpot yet... lol..

lol.. donna.. -----> treasure hunting... <---- lol..

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Wow sorry to hear about this Lynda. I luckily don't have any aunt/uncles that i refer to as family who do what your aunt does but then again I'm only close to my dad's side of the family. I don't even really refer to my mom's side of the family as "family" lol damn I am super mean.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol Lyn I completely understand how you feel except my annoyance is my mom's side of the family. Trust me you're going to have to step in and turn your back. I was raised in a proper family and learned respect was number 1, but my mom's side of the family basically ruined my family's life. I won't go into to detail but it resulted my mother to lose 4 fingers from one of her hands and never anyone to take responsibility for it. Never receive justice or even an apology from the bitch who did it.

I love my mother to death and regardless of how much she makes me angry sometimes. I never ever resent her. My mom has changed since that incident. She's no longer the mother that loves to go shopping with us. She no longer loves to randomly go out with us. She's so bitter now; She worries so much about us now. She calls me everyday around 9 PM and if I'm not home she sends my dad out to look for me and pick me up and take me to my place. She doesn't let my sisters do the things I was able to do as a teenager because she worries about their safety.

All of this came from my aunt on my mom's side. I show her NO RESPECT at all. She use to live with us because her 3 kids none of them wanted to take her in. She was living in the garage of her daughter in law's parents. My parents bought a house where she wanted them too and allowed her to move in with them and pay only 200 out of a 1500 dollar mortgage on top of bills. My dad didn't like her much but bared her. I didn't like her but I bared her until, she dared to say that my mom's accident wasn't caused by that woman. She tore my family apart turning my parents against my husband causing me to have to move out of our home. My parents didn't mind that we were living with them because they wanted it that way. We were paying the mortgage for them. Paying bills my parents were living good until she said my husband was living off my parents. Even though my parents, me, my husband knew that it wasn't true because he was paying for 100 percent of everyone's bill even that bitch of an aunt of mines. He was still being looked down on. Simply because he was Cambodian I wanted to smack her so bad because we are part Cambodian also. So my husband and I got a place of our own and moved out of a house that was once warm with family. We use to spend time with my sisters and all have fun together.. Now my sisters have to come and stay a weekend here just so we can spend time together.

She moved out of my parents house because her son needed help with his bills after his mortgage had gone up. So it takes her son to be in financial troubles in order for him to be able to take his mother in! Nice?! Isn't it? But now it's too late because my family is already broken. Nothing will ever be the same again.

So That's what being polite get's you sometimes Lyn. So sometimes being rude is the only way you can keep your insanity. I was diagnosed with so much symptoms and health issues because of her. Hell I even had a miscarriage because of the stress she put me through. I'll never forgive that bitch even if she is on her knee's begging for my forgiveness. She turned my mom bitter and she killed my unborn child ...

You know what the sad thing is? She was the one that raised my mother practically; so to see her hurt her mom the person she raised with her own hands it's so disgusting.

Now when I see her or her family members I don't even acknowledge them. I don't talk to them, speak to them, or even say return a smile. They know I hate them because I've said out in public before, "don't wai me because you're only going to shame me ..don't talk to me because I don't give a damn about you guys .. you aren't family, you aren't even enemy, you are nothing." When I see them at the temple it's even worst because they are really known in the Lao community for being charitable ... ... They are a bunch of two faced idiots.

I use to put up with everything and be polite and fake nice, but then my husband taught me that some people will NEVER realize it. The more you let them step on you the more they'll continue to do it. So the best thing is to just cut them loose because you'll end up ruining your own life.

Edit sorry if it sounds a little bitter, but I get worked up when I think about annoying family members :lol: it's a real sensitive topic for me. I know it seems broad and not a lot of explaining as to why I feel so strongly, but there are many other elements that I didn't really write down yet lol

nophankh

sarNie Adult
omg.. i hate ppl like that.. argh i got relatives from laos, australia.. etc.. calling and asking my dad for money 24/7 ... >_<.. and what sucks is that they always call.. ask who you are.. you reply back then they hang up.. <--- seriously.. I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS.. if they keep doing that imma blow up the phone.. >_< .. they always ask for so much money too!!!!! argh.. we havent even reached the jackpot yet... lol..
HAHA, Aikoden! I can totally relate. When I pick up, she hangs up because she knows I'm not the one who is giving her money. It is annoying. She calls my grandparents 5-6 times a day asking for money. I'm sure they talk about other things but mostly she wants money when she calls.

She called my aunt at Mass so many times in one day, my uncle disconnected the phone. He finds her annoying and money hungry. Her stupid laugh because she ask for money annoys me too. Roll eyes, I'm annoyed. It's like we're her ATM machine.

Just to think about it makes my blood boil.

Babyt

sarNie Elites
dude i'm like it the same situation but with my grandparents..i was annoyed like hell with them...tell u guys the story later whe i get home..

nophankh

sarNie Adult
Lol Lyn I completely understand how you feel except my annoyance is my mom's side of the family. Trust me you're going to have to step in and turn your back. I was raised in a proper family and learned respect was number 1, but my mom's side of the family basically ruined my family's life. I won't go into to detail but it resulted my mother to lose 4 fingers from one of her hands and never anyone to take responsibility for it. Never receive justice or even an apology from the bitch who did it.

Now when I see her or her family members I don't even acknowledge them. I don't talk to them, speak to them, or even say return a smile. They know I hate them because I've said out in public before, "don't wai me because you're only going to shame me ..don't talk to me because I don't give a damn about you guys .. you aren't family, you aren't even enemy, you are nothing." When I see them at the temple it's even worst because they are really known in the Lao community for being charitable ... ... They are a bunch of two faced idiots.

I use to put up with everything and be polite and fake nice, but then my husband taught me that some people will NEVER realize it. The more you let them step on you the more they'll continue to do it. So the best thing is to just cut them loose because you'll end up ruining your own life.

Edit sorry if it sounds a little bitter, but I get worked up when I think about annoying family members :lol: it's a real sensitive topic for me. I know it seems broad and not a lot of explaining as to why I feel so strongly, but there are many other elements that I didn't really write down yet lol
Damn, I thought I had it bad, yours is 10000 times worst. I do find my aunt annoying, but I definitely don't hate her. I just want her to be a regular family member and stop asking us for money. I also don't want to see her often because she bugs me. Other than being annoying, I don't hate her.

I can relate to two faced idiots, I don't even bother with old-head laos people over here, I never talk to them. I avoid them. I have no patience. I usually fake smile and say hi and quickly leave. They find me weird, I find them obnoxious. I'm not much of a gossiper but boy do they gossip. I don't get. TO me other people's business is not all that great, I'm not judgmental, I don't care. Watching Korea dramas and of course Lakorns are more amusing.

I want to be rude and ask about the France thing.
"I thought you were moving to France, why didn't you go?" ---just to tick her off, put her in the spot.

Lets face the facts, I'm an adult (old head, 21+). I have to be respectful, there is no way around it. I have to suck it up, I have to keep it cool. Everyone is doing it, I should be an adult and do it too.

lady0fdarkness

Tina!! I totally commend you for putting up with two-faced people like that. With all the medical shit you went through, you still got it together. You are one tough girl. I like how you said they aren't even your family and not even your enemies, that's some deep stuff there.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Lol it's good that you are able to do it because that is the high road. I can't take the high road. I've been screwed over by family since the age of 5 so it's harder for me. I've been put up with so much crap and not to mention I've always been raised as a spoiled brat by my dad. He's always taught me to say what I feel. My dad is the type that if he doesn't like you; you'll know it. Everyone in the family loves and respect my dad .. our family broke up when my dad quit going to our family parties and just started doing his own thing because he couldn't stand my mom's family any more and his family are all to far and they visit once a year .. so my dad's like eh whatever... I'm hard headed; I can pretend to be nice to someone in the family but once they cross the line a few times it's over with.

About gossip; man they gossip like it's the only thing they know how to do lol so I do it to anger them back. The last time at a family gathering someone asked me about how I decided to marry at 19. "Oh aren't you scared that people will think your a slut and this and that because you married young."

I said, "Oh so I have to be like (Blank/ My Cousin/ Her Daughter) I have to be pregnant at 15 and don't know who the baby' father is to be considered a good girl?" Smoke nearly blew from her ears LOL

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Tina!! I totally commend you for putting up with two-faced people like that. With all the medical shit you went through, you still got it together. You are one tough girl. I like how you said they aren't even your family and not even your enemies, that's some deep stuff there.
I don't have together quite yet. I'm still struggling from the after effects. Eventually I will be ok. Hopefully I will. Right now I'm just trying to be happy and spend as much time as I can with the people I love. Life's never going to be the same for me again, but i hope that in time I'll be able to untie the knot in my heart towards those people and quit resenting them at least.

Babyt

sarNie Elites
seriously i think relatives from Asia are wicked annoying, they like got no shame in asking you for stuff, money is one thing, but when I was visiting Vietnam over the Christmas vacation. One of the relatives asked to see my engagement ring cause i guess people over there dont wear diamond wedding rings or something, so i showed them my hand and they were like wow that is so nice, they even asked for the price and I was like i don't know maybe 5000-6000...and they were like wow that is so much u can like build so many houses over there...and the nerve one of the lady had, she asked me if she can have my ring, I was like hell no its my freaking engagement ring given to me by my fiancee and I just walked out of there.

second, my mom always sent my grandparents money every month, and they always talk about how much they miss my family over here cuz my mom is the only girl and she's here in the states by herself. so my mom petition for them to come visit for my wedding and they were approve. so while we were vacationing in vietnam, they were all bragging to their friends about coming back to the states with us. so when they came, not even 2 weeks into staying here my grandma freaking complains and wants to go back because she misses her house. we were like how many times a year do u get to see us like once in 10 years. can't be bare it until my wedding. nope, my grandma is such a faker, she pretends to fall off my mom's bed and decides to boycott eating so she can go back. my mom was like give me some time cause we just moved into the new house and i can't just take time off work. so she complains that my mom is prolonging the days which is not true, you can't just leave. when they got hospitalize, she was all like no one comes to visit or stay with us in the hospital, not like over there, people stay with us 24/7. we were like this is america, you can't just take time off work. after this incident of them being here, we now know how my grandparents truly are, they take advantage of my mom who is a single parent. they think money grows on trees. so my sister, the day before they left she was like that's it, we're not going to see each other ever again. then my grandpa goes, no next year i'll be back, your mom has the money. my sister was pissed she was like you act like its so easy to bring you guys back and forth, its a waste of money and time. seriously people over there don't think. never again, i am never stepping foot in vietnam ever.

nophankh

sarNie Adult
and the nerve one of the lady had, she asked me if she can have my ring, I was like hell no its my freaking engagement ring given to me by my fiancee and I just walked out of there.
The nerve!!!! What the hell, you compliment the ring, you don't ask for it. yes, family back in Asia are annoying.

second, my mom always sent my grandparents money every month, and they always talk about how much they miss my family over here cuz my mom is the only girl and she's here in the states by herself. so my mom petition for them to come visit for my wedding and they were approve. so while we were vacationing in vietnam, they were all bragging to their friends about coming back to the states with us. so when they came, not even 2 weeks into staying here my grandma freaking complains and wants to go back because she misses her house. we were like how many times a year do u get to see us like once in 10 years. can't be bare it until my wedding. nope, my grandma is such a faker, she pretends to fall off my mom's bed and decides to boycott eating so she can go back. my mom was like give me some time cause we just moved into the new house and i can't just take time off work. so she complains that my mom is prolonging the days which is not true, you can't just leave. when they got hospitalize, she was all like no one comes to visit or stay with us in the hospital, not like over there, people stay with us 24/7. we were like this is america, you can't just take time off work. after this incident of them being here, we now know how my grandparents truly are, they take advantage of my mom who is a single parent. they think money grows on trees. so my sister, the day before they left she was like that's it, we're not going to see each other ever again. then my grandpa goes, no next year i'll be back, your mom has the money. my sister was pissed she was like you act like its so easy to bring you guys back and forth, its a waste of money and time. seriously people over there don't think. never again, i am never stepping foot in vietnam ever.
Oh my gosh, our stories are so similar, my aunt is the same way. She faked her stomach issue when she was here, on the day she was leaving, it was miraculously cured. No more pain, she was freaking beaming. They don't get it, it's not easy to bring them over here, this is not game. You can't just come and go as you please.

Tina, you're a sweetie, screw them. Keep doing you. I can't believe they are like that.