Abbé Pierre (EMMAÜS fundation)

L'Abbé Pierre is one of the great man in this century and his fight was totally awesome

I khnow that most of u might be don't khnow who he is or totally don't khnow him but this man is my idol and a really good example for ppl in this eath...

Abbé Pierre, the Roman Catholic priest who brought the fight for the homeless to the forefront of French public life and became one of the country's most beloved figures, died Monday at Val de Grâce military hospital in Paris. He was 94.
Born Henri Grouès on Aug. 5, 1912, in the southeastern city of Lyon to a well- to-do family, he became a Capuchin monk in 1930, pledging himself to a life of poverty. Frail health forced him to leave the monastery a few years later.

He took the name Abbé Pierre as a member of the French resistance in World War II in which he helped Jews escape the country.

He began his campaigns for the homeless in 1949 as a member of Parliament, encouraging solidarity over charity. In the harsh winter of 1954, after the death of a homeless woman in Paris, Abbé Pierre took to the airwaves to demand shelter and supplies for thousands of homeless people. That call for help is considered a milestone in the public perception of the homeless problem.

The chain of solidarity that arose from the call of 1954 grew to become an international organization, with charitable works in 41 countries. Its flagship operation, Emmaüs Communities, collects and refurbishes second-hand furniture and appliances to fund housing for the poor.

Abbé Pierre's work for the poor made him a familiar silhouette in his dark cape, beret and walking stick. He was vocal in denouncing the lack of political action in favor of the underprivileged.

After rejecting his promotion within the prestigious Légion d'Honneur, throughout most of the 1990s, Abbé Pierre was promoted to the honor's highest rank, the Grand Croix, in 2004. He also held the Croix de Guerre, 1939- 45, and the Médaille de la Résistance.

Abbé Pierre's image was somewhat tarnished when he announced his support for a writer, Roger Garaudy, whose 1996 book, "The Founding Myths of Israeli Politics" questioned the existence of the Holocaust. He eventually backed away from his controversial statements.

He also shook the Church establishment when he confessed to having had sexual relations with women as a priest and came out in support of married priests and the ordination of women in a book published in 2005. Despite these controversies, French television viewers in 2005 voted Abbé Pierre the third greatest French person of all times, after Charles de Gaulle and Louis Pasteur.

President Jacques Chirac said the death of Abbé Pierre was "a blow to the heart" of the entire country that had lost "an immense figure, a conscience, an incarnation of goodness."

:( He was awesome by all his act no matter where is it in this earth: France like Africa... :(

"Un sourire coûte moins cher que l'électricité mais donne autant de lumière" ------>"A smile is less expensive than electricity but gives as much light " (Abbé Pierre)

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
Interestingly enough, we talked about him in my french class today. I admire what he did. Unfortunately, I also learned that a lot of people had problems with the fact that he was gay.

Seriously, what he did was incredible. How can someone still say "oh, but he was gay...."

Interestingly enough, we talked about him in my french class today. I admire what he did. Unfortunately, I also learned that a lot of people had problems with the fact that he was gay.

Seriously, what he did was incredible. How can someone still say "oh, but he was gay...."
:lol: u khnow that u really make me laugh with that?... :lol:

^_^ i don't khnow where u get the information that he was "gay" but i can say that it is totally wrong....maybe it's ur teacher who say it?? <_<

-_- but i think i can guess why ppl think that..it's certainly because the book he wrote in 2005 : "My god..why?"

In this book, he deals with lots of subject that go against the rules and the deontology in the church...and he claimed the fact that he really love women and he don't understand why because he belong to God he can't have a wife?...and about the "gay" thing, it might be because of the fact that in this book he deals with the right of homosexual ppl in and with the church... -_-

:( his death is a really big loss for world :(

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
My teacher didn't say it, it was on the french news she showed. But then again, maybe I heard wrong. As you probably know, my french isn't always the best. :unsure:

Thookatha

sarNie Elites
my deepest condolences go out to this great man. u have truly graced this world with the vision of hope, and has exposed its nature through the blinds of compassion. in your extensive years of being, you purposed yourself in a way that makes many hearts throb in gratitude. rest in peace as i know u will, abbe pierre. you will be missed.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
i never knew of this man until upon reading ur thread lili, and i'm glad to have learned of him now. so,
rock on abbe pierre...even in ur grave u will. u shook the world with ur soul and i'm sure ur spirits will continue to grace us with that same vivacious vision of change even from the heavens.

he is definitely worthy of being an idol and of history.