American Remake of Asian Horror Movie

sulad

sarNie Adult
I was sufuring online about Jessica Alba pregnancy and found that Jessica Alba was going to be the main actress of the American remake of "The Eye". I think that it's kinda stupid for the American to remaking all these great Asian Horror, because it is already made into a movie and there's really no point of remaking it. That's why there's such thing call "Subtitle". If they like it, why didn't they play at the theatre with subtitle. Because the American remake of "The Grudge" and "The Ring" was just plain stupid. I know that they do have the permission to remake it, but it's just stupid. Well it's my opinion, probably some people might like the idea of it. But I think it's just plain stupid. What do you guys think? Sorry I was just doing some thinking and wanted to share my opinion. So I also want to know what you guys think of this. :)

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
i agree because bydoign this americans don't get to see how gret those acors in the original movies are

darvil

sarNie Adult
You're going to need a sociological perspective view on this kind of question. Even though I feel the same way since that was what I have been doing all my life; watching American movies (dubbed or not) and watching alot of dubbed foreign (Chinese, Japaneses etc) series/movies growing up in Thailand, I realize when I live here that Americans are a bit different.

WARNING: I'm going to list some stuff I noticed after living here for years. These are my opinion and might hurt some feelings.

A bit of clarification before I begin. When I say "Americans" in this post, what I mean is the "general" movie watching audience which involves alot of "young" people.

1.) Average American cannot do subtitles. Thats pretty much it. Its something that complicated the movie and takes away from the entertainment. Now I know someone here is going to talk about Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon to try to argue me out of this concept. But if you look at CTHD, notice how it is first of all a martial arts movie which is a stereotypical "Asian" movie. CTHD also attracted the more sophisticated audience. When I went to the theater, I notice alot of older people (probably those artsy fartsy people) watching the movie (I went to the theater 3 times for this movie). Contrast this to a horror movie like ring where you know most of the audience will NOT be sophisticated.

2.) Americans cannot identify with Asian people. Ask any average American how many Asian movie stars do they know? What you'll probably get is Jackie Chan and Jet Li.. and if you're lucky some other big names. Now ask any Asian how many American movie stars they know. You will get ALOT of responses. When I was in Thailand my friends and I would go out to the movies every Friday and we would be like.. "Oh Tom Cruise new movie is out lets go watch!" or "Arnold new action movie!" Same thing isn't reciprocated in the US. People generally go to the movies because they like a actor or actress so that really cuts down on the traffic if they don't identify. Once the import of Asian movies inside of US is equal to the import of American movies inside Asia (on the BIG screen mind you) then we can probably change this.

3.) Americans are a very ethnocentric culture. I don't blame Americans for this because I know its because they can be this way. Why? Well because they don't have to. Americans don't have to learn another language, why would they need to? Fact is; America is an extremely powerful empire that is very similar to the empires of old. Just think about it here. Did Rome cared about what other cultures are doing back they were the king of the block (other then Greek culture maybe)? I mean everyone wanted Rome's roads, education, status, power, clothes, money, influence etc etc. This is not an anti-American statement but just the truth. I'm as American as anyone here (probably more so :))

Conclusion: The movie industry knows what I mentioned above and this is why they remake the movies. Its about money and they know they can get the most money by remaking these movies. Once its more profitable to just buy rights and subtitled movies in the theater, then they will start doing it. These past few centuries have been the time of the Anglo-Saxon and will change in the future but for now thats just the way things are. ;)

Sorry for the long post. You probably didn't want to read my rant lol. If you disagree definitely tell me your reason!

darvil

sarNie Adult
i agree because bydoign this americans don't get to see how gret those acors in the original movies are
Yea I definitely agree with this. For example Infernal Affair was a fantastic movie but yet they remade it. Now after I saw the remake though, they did a real good job so I can't really complain. But I always tell people to check out the original.

But honestly speaking though, it probably won't work if they do watch the Chinese version. They're just going to be giggling throughout the whole movie probably.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
omg haha i posted a thread like this in japanese about how they are remaking Chickusen Ari aka "One Missed Call" I saw the trailer and omg it looks so ghey... I loved the original -____-" now they are going to ruin it sigh ...

Rakniran

i like it when they do a remake in america.
But Jessica Alba in the eyes?
No way...
I'm going to skip this movie..
The Grudge was good.Both 1 & 2

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
i agree with darvil. you thought this through babe. :p

like.... i guess since im asian,
i can understand and believe, relate to the spirits stories, etc.
i mean... the american culture is kinda... different.
i dont know how to say it, but i mean...
all the spirits being hungry wanting food... etc,
it'll be hard for an american to understand, right??

im just saying some stuff. kinda off now.
but i think that some american remake isnt as good.
it losese the touch and the asian creepiness.
but i guess americans can put their views in it.

there's also an american remake of the korean movie juno... which i haven't seen the american ver... but i thought the korean one was too cute.... and yep the american ver of darkwater totally blows... i like the asian one better.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
there's also an american remake of the korean movie juno... which i haven't seen the american ver... but i thought the korean one was too cute.... and yep the american ver of darkwater totally blows... i like the asian one better.
i never knew that Juno was a korean movie, ooooh this is interesting. linkies on info please...

lido_kt

sarNie Hatchling
yeahhh american remakes are retarded and gay. they try to cram everything up and change the storyline and make it retarded. they just mess up the movie. i mean why wuld u take a perfectly good creepy asian movie and make it retarded just for the american audience? then the americans watch it and say it's retarded, it's because of that that the americans don't get to see how the asian culture is

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
You're going to need a sociological perspective view on this kind of question. Even though I feel the same way since that was what I have been doing all my life; watching American movies (dubbed or not) and watching alot of dubbed foreign (Chinese, Japaneses etc) series/movies growing up in Thailand, I realize when I live here that Americans are a bit different.

WARNING: I'm going to list some stuff I noticed after living here for years. These are my opinion and might hurt some feelings.

A bit of clarification before I begin. When I say "Americans" in this post, what I mean is the "general" movie watching audience which involves alot of "young" people.

1.) Average American cannot do subtitles. Thats pretty much it. Its something that complicated the movie and takes away from the entertainment. Now I know someone here is going to talk about Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon to try to argue me out of this concept. But if you look at CTHD, notice how it is first of all a martial arts movie which is a stereotypical "Asian" movie. CTHD also attracted the more sophisticated audience. When I went to the theater, I notice alot of older people (probably those artsy fartsy people) watching the movie (I went to the theater 3 times for this movie). Contrast this to a horror movie like ring where you know most of the audience will NOT be sophisticated.

2.) Americans cannot identify with Asian people. Ask any average American how many Asian movie stars do they know? What you'll probably get is Jackie Chan and Jet Li.. and if you're lucky some other big names. Now ask any Asian how many American movie stars they know. You will get ALOT of responses. When I was in Thailand my friends and I would go out to the movies every Friday and we would be like.. "Oh Tom Cruise new movie is out lets go watch!" or "Arnold new action movie!" Same thing isn't reciprocated in the US. People generally go to the movies because they like a actor or actress so that really cuts down on the traffic if they don't identify. Once the import of Asian movies inside of US is equal to the import of American movies inside Asia (on the BIG screen mind you) then we can probably change this.

3.) Americans are a very ethnocentric culture. I don't blame Americans for this because I know its because they can be this way. Why? Well because they don't have to. Americans don't have to learn another language, why would they need to? Fact is; America is an extremely powerful empire that is very similar to the empires of old. Just think about it here. Did Rome cared about what other cultures are doing back they were the king of the block (other then Greek culture maybe)? I mean everyone wanted Rome's roads, education, status, power, clothes, money, influence etc etc. This is not an anti-American statement but just the truth. I'm as American as anyone here (probably more so :))

Conclusion: The movie industry knows what I mentioned above and this is why they remake the movies. Its about money and they know they can get the most money by remaking these movies. Once its more profitable to just buy rights and subtitled movies in the theater, then they will start doing it. These past few centuries have been the time of the Anglo-Saxon and will change in the future but for now thats just the way things are. ;)

Sorry for the long post. You probably didn't want to read my rant lol. If you disagree definitely tell me your reason!
I read like...none of this.

So um..yah. Down with American remakes!!!

Kina

Dubsteppin'
I totally read Darvil's response to the topic. Darvil, I never tire to read your responses, especially if it concerns social issues.

I agree that American remakes takes away the originality, that the American audience will not get to see how great Asian actors/actresses are or sample a taste of the Asian culture. But the truth of the matter is that the average American do not spend their money to become acculturated. They just want pure entertainment, they want to see actors/actresses whom they are familiar with, they comprehend only the 'American way'. And at the end, just as Darvil said, it's all about the money.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I totally read Darvil's response to the topic. Darvil, I never tire to read your responses, especially if it concerns social issues.

I agree that American remakes takes away the originality, that the American audience will not get to see how great Asian actors/actresses are or sample a taste of the Asian culture. But the truth of the matter is that the average American do not spend their money to become acculturated. They just want pure entertainment, they want to see actors/actresses whom they are familiar with, they comprehend only the 'American way'. And at the end, just as Darvil said, it's all about the money.
Haha, Darv, you do have fans of your post. And here I just thought it's annoying most of the time. I mean, if you know that Americans just want to be entertained, you'd probably know that we wouldn't want to read posts that want us to think. Entertain me dammit.

Nameless

N i n j a
Haha, Darv, you do have fans of your post. And here I just thought it's annoying most of the time. I mean, if you know that Americans just want to be entertained, you'd probably know that we wouldn't want to read posts that want us to think. Entertain me dammit.

You never fail to show me how brokeback you are.

Hollywood is running out of ideas and lacking originality. But I have to agree with a few others. It's really about the moola.

Muddie Murda

smile...
Don't feed his ego, Amira.

Americans are lazy ass mofos. Hahahahaha
A lot of them complain of subtitles and probably prefer dub. They're too lazy to read.
I went to the movies w/ my friends and wanted to watch Jet Li's Movie that released in America Theater. They all fell asleep. -_- After the movie I asked why they didn't watch it. "It had subs. I didn't wanna read." So yeahhhhhhhhhhhh

I really hate how they are remaking them. Just leave it alone if they're too lazy to sub it or dub it.
Culture is very different and even if they remake it so Americans can understand, the value of the plot or wahtever probably won't be there.

STIMA

ugh ALL AMERICAN REMAKES OF ASIAN HORROR movies ...really just make me laugh .
i don't think it really works. its much scarier to know of horror stories of like...i think it would depend on cultural stuff and understanding. well i don't even know how to explain or get what i'm really saying but it's not scary, and it doesn't work...and they should not AMERICANIZED horror movies. but i guess it works for the american audience...us asian americans..maybe not.

Joy

sarNie Hatchling
americans aren't the only ones who do remakes,
asians use to always take storylines from everywhere else as well.
for example, i just finish watching a korean drama called Couple in Trouble, aka Fantasy Couple. while watching it, i realized it was very similar to an old thai drama i had seen. after i finished the movie i found out that the storyline, was the same as and old american movie call Overboard starring micheal douglas and goldie hawn. there's more, but i can't think of them right now.

i don't really care for remakes either, but i don't think it's fair to only blame the americans on this.