[American web tv series] The Handmaid's Tale (2017-current)

Ms.Zoe

.: Lady Huo :.
This is the first American web tv series that I have watched from the very beginning to the latest ep 6 of season 2...it is very dark & twisted but that is what keeping me interested & it is realistic to me.

Plot: Based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood, this series is set in Gilead, a totalitarian society in what used to be part of the United States. Gilead is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property of the state, and is faced with environmental disasters and a plummeting birth rate. In a desperate attempt to repopulate a devastated world, the few remaining fertile women are forced into sexual servitude. One of these women, Offred, is determined to survive the terrifying world she lives in, and find the daughter that was taken from her.

Anyone watching it?

Cr to original owners

xodxo

Trapped in MueyxTian's World! ❤️
I’ve heard of this bc of Alexis Bledel, one of my all time favorite girls and actresses is costarring in it but yes, it is quite dark and I didn’t really like the genre or concept since it didn’t really appeal to me that much. I haven’t seen it, but thanks for sharing. I liked how you summarized it. It’s helpful.

Ms.Zoe

@xodxo I took the plot from online hehe. I have watched other American web tv series from the beginning too but I stopped after a few eps but for this series I could binge watch it which I did for season 1 & season 2; I binge watched season 2 all 6 eps in 2 days & I can't wait to watch ep 7 this coming Wednesday; ep 6 of season 2 ended so good!

This series touches on so many subjects which cause me to exercise my brain so it keeps me wanting more :).

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
This series means alot to me because I had to do a an AP English research paper on it in high school, and my teacher for that course, was one of my favorite teachers. He recently passed away several months before the first season aired. I remember reading the book in high school like, are we supposed to be reading this? Lol.

Ms.Zoe

How cool that you knew about it all the way back in HS @KhoOnxNouxWanxJai. I just knew about it beginning of year 2018 :(.

I think I would have the same reaction that you had back in HS. This series is deep, it has lots of subjects for me to digest & question.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
How cool that you knew about it all the way back in HS @KhoOnxNouxWanxJai. I just knew about it beginning of year 2018 :(.

I think I would have the same reaction that you had back in HS. This series is deep, it has lots of subjects for me to digest & question.
I had to read it twice, once in the summer of 8th grade before I entered the 9th grade, and for junior year of high school. It was on the required reading list for Pre-AP Freshmen and AP Juniors. We didn't do a deep examination of it until Junior year though.

Ms.Zoe

I had to read it twice, once in the summer of 8th grade before I entered the 9th grade, and for junior year of high school. It was on the required reading list for Pre-AP Freshmen and AP Juniors. We didn't do a deep examination of it until Junior year though.
How is the series versus the book? My English classes book selections back in HS weren't intetesting IMO plus my English teachers weren't great, I wasn't engaged and just wanted the semester to be over with lol. I'm glad that you had a favorite teacher.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
How is the series versus the book? My English classes book selections back in HS weren't intetesting IMO plus my English teachers weren't great, I wasn't engaged and just wanted the semester to be over with lol. I'm glad that you had a favorite teacher.
There are huge differences

In the book Offred never reveals her real name
Offred in the book is wayyy more passive and quiet, in the show she is more feisty and fights back
They adjusted the timeline to make it more modern with our times (which is sort of understandable)

There are alot of other differences, but the show producer spoke to Margaret Atwood the author before making the changes.

Ms.Zoe

One more episode left for season 2 :crybaby2:...in episode 9, Nick says I love you to June, he could have kissed June on her lips but he didn't, he is such a gentleman because right before he kissed June he told her that her husband still loves her very much...ouch :(...the scene of Nick & Luke talking to each other is quiet intense in some ways for me...June probably will be torn between Nick & Luke. They both love her...:sad6:.