Anyone here paying attention to the Iowa caucuses?

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I'm not going to lie. I'm a Democrat. If you're a republican, that's cool, but I thought we should have a forum to discuss some of the things that are going on. After drifting between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, I finally decided to fully support Obama. Sure, his name is amazing (President Barack Obama is just badass) but on a more serious note, his message and how open minded he is really won me over. His candid, frank nature along with his charm really reminds me of Kennedy. In short, I think he would be a refreshing change to our country.

Anyway, let me know what else you guys thing.

By the way, does it bother anyone else that a small state such as Iowa holds so much importance in the presidential primaries?

noungning

Heartless
is iowa small? lol nope haven't been following. but many people are rooting for hilary because of the healthcare situation, but i haven't been really following to comment much so i'll stop now.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Was it Obama that said we should ban all Chinese toys? If so, I ain't voting for him. I gotta have my toys haha.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I'm a democrat as well and shamefully, no I haven't been keeping track of what's going on. I enjoy politics but watching what's going on makes me edgy so I've been avoiding it. I'll just wait to see who wins the official ticket for each party.

I'm all for Hillary, she's my girl! hehe But I'm fine if Obama gets the Democratic ticket too.
It would be awesome if Hillary won the whole thing and has Obama be her VP or vice versa, well, a girl can dream. :p

I like Edwards too but I think it's time for a woman president or a minority president, either way we need a change.

darvil

sarNie Adult
I'm paying alot of attention to it.

Interesting that Romney loses in such a high margin as he spent so much money on Iowa but he's not done yet.

We'll see if Obama can take on the clinton machine outside of Iowa. He still has a mountain to climb.

If you're asking me who I'm favoring; its either Romney or Obama.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
So Huckabee won the republican votes in Iowa and Obama won the democratic ticket.

If you guys don't know, the Iowa caucuses determine who to endorse for the presidential nominations. Whoever wins gets the votes of delegates from Iowa. While only 1% of the delegates sent to the republican and democratic convention comes from Iowa, it's usually seen as an important one because it's the first and it helps build momentum. Like I said, I think it's bullshit that such a small state can have such a big effect on the outcome.

However, this doesn't guarantee victory as shown by McCain a couple of years ago when he won in Iowa but fizzled out later on. Either way, I'm very glad Obama won the democratic ticket there in Iowa. As to what Liberty said, I think it would be cool if both of them ran for Prez/VP on the same ticket, but I think that might be detrimental to the cause. This is speculation, but I think that a lot of people already have issues with a woman president and more so have issues with a black president. Putting them together might just be a recipe for failure but you never know.

I used to like Romney too Darv. I saw him on CNBC and he's a very smart businessman and he knows how to run things. The thing that eventually turned me off (and this is assuming I would vote for a republican) is that he changed his stance on gay rights and abortion. Now I know people said Kerry did the same thing, but this is not at the same level. This is the principle and integrity of a person. Gay rights and abortion are HUGE issues. You can't go changing your mind so that it'll help you win. That's just shady. I mean, I think gay people should be able to get married and abortion should always be legal. I can't ever see myself changing that stance so that I can win over people. If I don't win, I don't win. But I'm not changing my views on what I believe is right.

As for Huckabee, I think he's horrendous. He's totally abusing the fact that 40% of Americans are homophobic, racist religious conservatives who want to "take back our country." Now I'm not bashing on religious people so don't take it that way. I'm knocking on the extremists who believe that our country is going down a hedonistic path to hell and that it needs to be reclaimed. I think that's bullshit. And on a side note. I LOVE Chuck Norris. I just can't believe he's endorsing Huckabee.

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
Wow...as for meeh i don't follow with these stuff...im not interested in politics...so yeah ill jus stop here now too.

darvil

sarNie Adult
I think the problem isn't with a black and a woman being on the same ticket. Its more of a bad strategic value. Because all Democrats are guranteed to get 90 percent of the black vote no matter who is on the ticket, it would be pointless. Now if Edwards was on the ticket he can help steal some southern votes although on the last election he only pulled South Carolina but that is better then nothing. Edwards is also extremely strong right now in Iowa so that is very interesting (and a surprise to me). Both Edward and Hillary have more financial resources so we'll see if Obama can take them on at NH and the rest. This is just the first battle and we'll see how far Obama can go.

As for the Republicans, it looks like Rudy is broke (but who knows how true that is). Huckabee is too conservative for me although it won't be that big a deal for me if he does win the nomination. I don't think he will because I think he is too conservative to win the general election esp with Bush's low ratings. Now Romney on the other hand to me is the perfect compromise. Yes he did change his stance but honestly speaking, to me abortion and gay rights won't radically change with Romney. First of all, I don't think abortion will become illegal anytime soon no matter what the pundits spout out. Even if a judge does retire within the next 4 years, I think there is a status quo about abortion and it won't change. Although I do prefer more rights for homosexuals, I don't think the country is ready yet. I think in time it will be and I don't believe pushing too hard for it is the right plan for now.

Personally I give some flexibility within the boundary of rhetoric. Fact is, alot of these politicans will change their views/opinions on many things (and have been for a while now). Some people may dislike someone for changing their mind but I give more leeway on things like that in my mind; if it is reasonable that is.

This will be my first vote as I wasn't a citizen on the last election. This will be a very good experience for me. I've been paying alot of attention to the politics of the US for a few years now. I used to watch cspan regularly for a few years; although I haven't been watching it for about a year now.

I haven't registered with any party and I won't think I will. I consider myself an independent as I really hold different views on many things and I refused to be pigeonholed into one of the sides.

So Huckabee won the republican votes in Iowa and Obama won the democratic ticket.

If you guys don't know, the Iowa caucuses determine who to endorse for the presidential nominations. Whoever wins gets the votes of delegates from Iowa. While only 1% of the delegates sent to the republican and democratic convention comes from Iowa, it's usually seen as an important one because it's the first and it helps build momentum. Like I said, I think it's bullshit that such a small state can have such a big effect on the outcome.

However, this doesn't guarantee victory as shown by McCain a couple of years ago when he won in Iowa but fizzled out later on. Either way, I'm very glad Obama won the democratic ticket there in Iowa. As to what Liberty said, I think it would be cool if both of them ran for Prez/VP on the same ticket, but I think that might be detrimental to the cause. This is speculation, but I think that a lot of people already have issues with a woman president and more so have issues with a black president. Putting them together might just be a recipe for failure but you never know.

I used to like Romney too Darv. I saw him on CNBC and he's a very smart businessman and he knows how to run things. The thing that eventually turned me off (and this is assuming I would vote for a republican) is that he changed his stance on gay rights and abortion. Now I know people said Kerry did the same thing, but this is not at the same level. This is the principle and integrity of a person. Gay rights and abortion are HUGE issues. You can't go changing your mind so that it'll help you win. That's just shady. I mean, I think gay people should be able to get married and abortion should always be legal. I can't ever see myself changing that stance so that I can win over people. If I don't win, I don't win. But I'm not changing my views on what I believe is right.

As for Huckabee, I think he's horrendous. He's totally abusing the fact that 40% of Americans are homophobic, racist religious conservatives who want to "take back our country." Now I'm not bashing on religious people so don't take it that way. I'm knocking on the extremists who believe that our country is going down a hedonistic path to hell and that it needs to be reclaimed. I think that's bullshit. And on a side note. I LOVE Chuck Norris. I just can't believe he's endorsing Huckabee.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I think the problem isn't with a black and a woman being on the same ticket. Its more of a bad strategic value. Because all Democrats are guranteed to get 90 percent of the black vote no matter who is on the ticket, it would be pointless. Now if Edwards was on the ticket he can help steal some southern votes although on the last election he only pulled South Carolina but that is better then nothing. Edwards is also extremely strong right now in Iowa so that is very interesting (and a surprise to me). Both Edward and Hillary have more financial resources so we'll see if Obama can take them on at NH and the rest. This is just the first battle and we'll see how far Obama can go.

As for the Republicans, it looks like Rudy is broke (but who knows how true that is). Huckabee is too conservative for me although it won't be that big a deal for me if he does win the nomination. I don't think he will because I think he is too conservative to win the general election esp with Bush's low ratings. Now Romney on the other hand to me is the perfect compromise. Yes he did change his stance but honestly speaking, to me abortion and gay rights won't radically change with Romney. First of all, I don't think abortion will become illegal anytime soon no matter what the pundits spout out. Even if a judge does retire within the next 4 years, I think there is a status quo about abortion and it won't change. Although I do prefer more rights for homosexuals, I don't think the country is ready yet. I think in time it will be and I don't believe pushing too hard for it is the right plan for now.

Personally I give some flexibility within the boundary of rhetoric. Fact is, alot of these politicans will change their views/opinions on many things (and have been for a while now). Some people may dislike someone for changing their mind but I give more leeway on things like that in my mind; if it is reasonable that is.

This will be my first vote as I wasn't a citizen on the last election. This will be a very good experience for me. I've been paying alot of attention to the politics of the US for a few years now. I used to watch cspan regularly for a few years; although I haven't been watching it for about a year now.

I haven't registered with any party and I won't think I will. I consider myself an independent as I really hold different views on many things and I refused to be pigeonholed into one of the sides.
Way to exercise your right to vote. And I wouldn't underestimate Huckabee too much. He's the most republican out of all of them so it makes sense for him to represent. Both Guiliani and Romney (before his change) believe in abortion and gay rights. So any real Republicans wouldn't support them. If they're supported though, I feel like it's only going to be because GOPs feel they have a better chance to win with them.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Ron Paul is also pretty interesting. He is a very strict libertarian and I have to admit, I like alot of the libertarian values. But I gotta say I don't know if those values are good as the president. Anyway I get you about Huckabee. The way I see it is, if he does win the nomination I will vote democrat. My first choice is Romney, 2nd Obama and I haven't made my mind about 3rd yet. I have to say though, that this order can change.

I've been watching cspan for a few days straight now. I've been watching some of the speeches and of course my favorite Washington Journal show.

BTW there was this guy who runs a VERY good site. I was listening to him and also looked at the site for a bit (He was on washington journal). Its really good man. Check it out

http://www.politifact.com

Basically these guys monitor and verify claims made by all the candidates by fact checking and such (speeches and ads etc).

Way to exercise your right to vote. And I wouldn't underestimate Huckabee too much. He's the most republican out of all of them so it makes sense for him to represent. Both Guiliani and Romney (before his change) believe in abortion and gay rights. So any real Republicans wouldn't support them. If they're supported though, I feel like it's only going to be because GOPs feel they have a better chance to win with them.

STIMA

Was it Obama that said we should ban all Chinese toys? If so, I ain't voting for him. I gotta have my toys haha.
i don't think he ever said that because i remember him speaking about it in a debate
but why not ban Chinese toys if it was dangerous? cus i don't think we did anything about it which was stupid ! but i honestly don't know much about it ... WE NEED TO STOP TAKING FROM CHINA anyways! i know that they really need those jobs and all...but they really aren't thinking about what it's doing to us and that's just mean T_T *sniff loljk. at least it'll lessen global warming and give more jobs to our country hahaha . . but yeah, *steals your toys made in china lol jk

anyways, i don't think many other candidates aren't willing to ban the chinese toys hhaha

i paid little attention to the Iowa caucuses but i'm so glad OBAMA RULED IT yayyy

i don't know anything about the republican candidates though.
i like democrats better
and i don't like rudy guliani because hes a hypocrite and edwards seem snakey (even though hes a democrat)...i think edwards need to stop partnering up or like joining with obama to attack hilary because he's making obama look bad -_-
i don't like that huckabee guy either lol

jeanie

sarNie Adult
It's an interesting race because it's wide open on both sides, Dems and Repubs.

On Repubs side, I'm placing my money on Huckabee. Guiliani, the early fave, so-called hero of 9/11 has fizzled out. I knew he was never going to make it out of the primaries. The religious conservatives would never vote for him and he's got some major scandals. Same with Romney. The fact that he's Mormon and on some issues he leans left, the "bible belt" won't vote for him and they comprise a big part of the conservative vote. McCain has gain some momentum but I don't think he'll last. Ron Paul is actually the more traditional conservative than the rest, but he'll never win either. His hard line anti-war stance makes him extremely unpopular with his party but he's gaining popularity/support among independents, college students and the younger voters. He's also too radical and extreme, on some issues he's crazy as hell but I do like him personally. Out of all the candidates he's the true non-Washington bureaucrat.

The Dems side is harder but I think it'll be Clinton. I don't think this country is ready for anything but a rich white male Protestant president. Racism, and sexism is still rampant in this country. On the other hand, Clinton inspires a lot of hate but they know how to play the political machine.

Nationally I think its important to note that none of the candidates have ever won the Presidency w/out winning a few southern states, which traditionally swings right. Which one of the Dems can do that? Come Super Tuesday, it'll be interesting to note the Missouri and Ohio results. In the last couple of elections, these swing states have predicted the presidential race quite accurately.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
i don't think he ever said that because i remember him speaking about it in a debate
but why not ban Chinese toys if it was dangerous? cus i don't think we did anything about it which was stupid ! but i honestly don't know much about it ... WE NEED TO STOP TAKING FROM CHINA anyways! i know that they really need those jobs and all...but they really aren't thinking about what it's doing to us and that's just mean T_T *sniff loljk. at least it'll lessen global warming and give more jobs to our country hahaha . . but yeah, *steals your toys made in china lol jk

anyways, i don't think many other candidates aren't willing to ban the chinese toys hhaha

i paid little attention to the Iowa caucuses but i'm so glad OBAMA RULED IT yayyy

i don't know anything about the republican candidates though.
i like democrats better
and i don't like rudy guliani because hes a hypocrite and edwards seem snakey (even though hes a democrat)...i think edwards need to stop partnering up or like joining with obama to attack hilary because he's making obama look bad -_-
i don't like that huckabee guy either lol

LOL I was kidding about the Chinese toys but my sarcasm did not come across. Its sad that we do take from China but think about it, if every single thing was produced in America, then the cost for products will be higher and people will still complain and not only that but there will be no trade-offs in economy. Of course they are not thinking about the lead paint and how harmful it is, but they don't understand the value of a toy. Most of the laborers making the toys for American kids have never had a toy when they were young.

I don't know but I have mixed feelings about sending jobs overseas. It's great because it means that the level of competency and aptitude in America will be higher, which means people will have to get a degree to keep a job or else they will be driven out of the labor force, and those situations are already being witnessed. However, there are also drawbacks since now we have to compete globally for positions. Right now America is doing not too hot in education compared to our international trade partners. Its sad that some school districts on the East Coast are actually paying their students as an incentive to go to school. We take free public education too much for granted.

But now since our economy is falling into recession after I think 30 or so years of doing okay, we are going to suffer with the rise of prices. Like in California right now, Gov. Schwarzenegger proposed that he wants to close down parks, free inmates and cut back expenses for school and even health services for the poor because of the state's fiscal emergency. "The governor asked the Legislature to cut $400 million from schools immediately and take away $4.4 billion beginning in July. That would require lawmakers to suspend provisions of Proposition 98, the voter-approved initiative that guarantees a minimum funding level for schools and is coveted by the state's powerful teachers union." In the school district I work for, all the high schools under our umbrella are placed on a budget freeze. It sucks but shit happens.

Sorry this is totally off topic.