Anyone know of online sites that sell Sinh Mai Lao?

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
It's so difficult to find/buy Sinh Mai Lao (lao silk dresses) where I live unless there is a celebration at the Wat and people from different states come to sell.
All the sites I've looks up are not updated and seems like the owners have abandoned the site.

The only one(s) that seem updated are the Ebay stores.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/diamonds_999
http://www.ebay.com/usr/kobeasybuy09

Designs I really like:

cr: as tagged

cr: I found this on pinterest, but I think it's from a fashion show in Laos. Not sure of original uploader.
I love this print! It's so beautiful. I think the design is from the Luang Prabang region.

cr: also found this one on pinterest. I will look for original source later. I found this on fb too.
The design on her dress is so beautiful! I love this kind of design. I think this design is also from Luang Prabang region.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I saw lots of people selling them on facebook, ship directly from Laos (they own shop in the Morning market)  If you still need it, I'll look for link for you.

Those in the pictures above probably cost a little fortune now, because too many Lao hi-so and hi-so wannabe think that paying more for stuffs will made them look good and rich... so the price grouching on all these traditional dresses skyrockets in the pass few years.  Some can goes as high as 5 grands or more, and they claims is made from certain silk and gold thread etc. LOL

x0unerthanlater

Maya_Fantasy said:
I saw lots of people selling them on facebook, ship directly from Laos (they own shop in the Morning market)  If you still need it, I'll look for link for you.

Those in the pictures above probably cost a little fortune now, because too many Lao hi-so and hi-so wannabe think that paying more for stuffs will made them look good and rich... so the price grouching on all these traditional dresses skyrockets in the pass few years.  Some can goes as high as 5 grands or more, and they claims is made from certain silk and gold thread etc. LOL

I've noticed that too Maya, it's so strange. I've seen some that look kind of regular for like $500-$600. At least the ones above are wedding dresses so it's understandable to be a little expensive. But I see regular Sinhs for every day wear around that price. If you do have those fb links, please do share. 

Step said:
Look at them SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL. If I go to Thailand, I want to buy them. 

These aren't available in Thailand unless it's the Issan area maybe.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Its Thai silk right. Not available in Thailand is a bad news. Cos Thai silk is one of the things people love about Thailand.
x0unerthanlater said:
These aren't available in Thailand unless it's the Issan area maybe.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Is there any difference between Lao silk and Thai silk other than their region?
x0unerthanlater said:
It's Lao Silk Dresses. 

x0unerthanlater

Step said:
Is there any difference between Lao silk and Thai silk other than their region?

I think it has to do with how the silk is made. Depends on which kind of silk worm they nurture and also the techniques they use in making the designs. So yes, it is different.

Step

Mrs James Ma
Thank you
x0unerthanlater said:

I think it has to do with how the silk is made. Depends on which kind of silk worm they nurture and also the techniques they use in making the designs. So yes, it is different.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Hi Xouner, if you're not in a hurry I'll get the link for you either Monday night or sometime next week OK, I'm kind of busy today and this weekend, so I will not have time to search FB page yet.  I sort of forgot their pages, because it was bunch of links and I didn't want to befriend any of them, I'm just a FB lurker and stalker HAHAHAHA LOL. :loool:

Yes the simple nice looking one used to be like around $100, now it's like $700+ even it wasn't a wedding dress.  And you're right the normal one that people just wear to the temple is around $500 too.  My sister was telling me she was checking out my brother's wife relative shop at the market and she told me they sell the type of sin call "mai mone" from the Xiengkhouang region in the northern Laos (Silk mone or something like that) costs 10 grands.  She said she felt like a beggar in their shop as soon as they told her that. HAHAHA :coverlaf: In the past you can get those for under a thousand, and no they are not being mean to her, it's just that is the price range right now.  Which I think is just crazy. :crazy:

x0unerthanlater

@Maya, Oh yes yes. Share the links anytime! I'm in no hurry. Hearing the prices... I'm not sure I can handle more than $200 Lol ARE YOU SERIOUS 10K! Whoaaaa, they are making a fortune! Wow! That's crazy!! Holycow! What are the citizens doing over there, how could they afford something that expensive!?! Do they make it with gold strings or something? LOL Wow... Tsk tsk. I've seen some fb pages that sell Sinh Mai and they were like $6,000-$10,000 BAHT which is about the price you quote in USD.... Smh... too expensive. Some ppl from Cali sell Sinh Mai way cheaper. 3/$100 and silk shirts too 3/$100. 5 Years ago I went to Laos and the dresses weren't that expensive. The regular ones were like $30-$40 USD. Looks like the prices went up x100.

sarN

sarNie Granny
Those are expensive!! I brought a Thai silk for mom $10500 baht about $350 USA & those were said to be wore by the queen of Thailand loll or maybe they were just saying that to make sale . And when I try to buy Loas silk , they told me $1200 just for 2yard & labor to sew into a dress $300 , good lord , I ask for the silk purse , those were $500 ! Unbelievably expensive . now I want to raise those silk worm .

x0unerthanlater

Whoaaa! That's seriously expensive. I bought a Chinese silk purse that was in Lao print design, it was about 5yrs ago, and I got it for less than $20 USD. They are probably super expensive now. I wonder why it costs so much now. It's not like it's rare. I see so many stores at the morning market. 

sarN

sarNie Granny
In the street market is cheaper but they told me those are from India or Indonesia not the real thing . I can't tell the difference lol I wore traditional dress to temple before but at most $120-$200 but now a day ppl don't wear them as much in the state. I find it uncomfortable & hard to sit, my mother would make me wear them & I would change it out later lol.

x0unerthanlater

People only wear them to the temple to give alms. I bring something to change into too. Especially in the summer time when it's too darn hot to wear anything silk, Lol

x0unerthanlater

Thanks again Maya! Those links were very helpful. It's so hard to find online pictures for references. Now, I hope my cousin can find what I'm looking for, lol

x0unerthanlater

Lol, no no not officially yet. I'm just looking around for options because if I find one I like it'll take about a month to be sent over etc.  :coverlaf:

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
Well, good luck in advance :wink:  hihihihi

So true, it doesn't hurt to look around now... some of us look at the Caucasian wedding dresses long before we have boyfriend, so checking on our traditional wedding dresses is good too. :rockon: Especially Silk dresses is so colorful, it'll be hard to settled on one that is truly the style and color we'd like.

Did you know you can design your own and have them weave for you? I'm talking about the flowers or gold designs that is on the silk... you can actually do any patten or design you like and they'll do for you to match your bottom Sinh or top part.