Are phillipinos considered asians or pacific islanders?

sooks

sarNie Egg
i have 2 phillipino friends and they keep arguing with me about this!! i was wondering who's right and who's wrong?? are they asians or are they not?

noungning

Heartless
lol they are asian conquered by spaniards many hundred years ago... like how usa will now be conquered by spaniard lol hahaha... i dunno i've always check myself as a pacific islander when i didn't have other choices lol

Lionheart

sarNie Egg
I dont consider Filipino people real Asians because......

1) They dont use Chopsticks

2) They celebrate Elvis Presley Week

3) They speak can understand Spanish

natty

Chubs
lol lionheart.. i dont know if i should take you seriously or just keep laughing..

but anyways.. i've always thought that they were islanders just like indos.. because they are not connected to mainland asia (that's what my geo prof said.. he's a littel wack so you never know if you should take him seriously sometime).. but then again if that is how you determine islanders from "asians" then wouldnt japan be consider islanders too? :huh:

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
pacific islander!! like hawaiins guam .. pacific islanders have asian features.. they CAN be considered asian because japanese is asian although the island is furthur north.. acckk if you loook asian and you eat rice you ARE asian haha

natty

Chubs
lol kawaii.. i guess that goes along with.. if you bring rice to school and eat it with a chopstick then you are a fob.. :lmao:

wintr

sarNie Hatchling
i have to say they are consider asian...like what Kawaii said...japanese is and island if you look at it..it doesnt connect to mainland asia either but why are they consider asian..if phillipinos call themselves pacific islander just because they are and island not far from mainland asia then it japanese people would also call themselves pacific islanders too since they are an island in the pacific..just like taiwan..taiwan is an small island off of mainland china...but they don't consider themselves chinese more like taiwanese people...but they are called asian..even if the island is in the pacific ocean under the eastern china sea...

well thats what i think...

phillipino should consider themselves lucky if they call themselves asian...why fight it you look and eat like us asian why don't just say your asian...

natty

Chubs
why do some people not consider Indians (not american indian but india indian, damn you columbus! <_< ) as Asians?

i remember this argument in Asian Avenue back in the days..

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
Filipinos are Asian...trace their ancestral roots and they are of Asian or close to Asian link...just because they got conquered by the conquistadors and kinda lost their Asian roots doesn't make them not asian...it makes them mix with various ethnicities but the inhabitants of the P. Island are of Asian decent....and Asian people don't have to use chopsticks...cuz umm...ancestors of Thailand, Laos, Cambodia ate with their fingers

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
natty said:
lol kawaii.. i guess that goes along with.. if you bring rice to school and eat it with a chopstick then you are a fob..  :lmao:
[post="105308"][/post]​
even better!! bring rice and chopstick to school.. YOU ARE DEFINITELY AN ASIAN ahha hey I do that.. but I came here on a plane so does that make me a FOP?! =P oh finger licking food yummy!! some people think that's soo like "tribal" but I think is showing your food appreciation ahha you FEEL and TASTE your food =) besides less utensils to wash haha and "pinoy" are no unique they just look too asian or they look like I dont know.. TOO much.. hahah I went ot like an all flip high school and even people that wasn't flip they are like flip-washed it was sooo annoying..

noungning

Heartless
^lol wtf flip washed? that's funny hahaha how flip can someone be... i always thought they're like american ppl, well their lifestyle, but i still think they're asian

there was this one flip guy i was so shocked to learn he was flipino, he looked chinese/korean. then they range in how they look, it's cool. my friend went on a missionary in the philippines for 2 and some years and just came back... he showed me the pix he's taken and the majority of the ppl he saw looked more like malaysian and/or cambodian like the darker skin tone because it's so hot there.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
noungning said:
^lol wtf flip washed? that's funny hahaha how flip can someone be... i always thought they're like american ppl, well their lifestyle, but i still think they're asian

there was this one flip guy i was so shocked to learn he was flipino, he looked chinese/korean. then they range in how they look, it's cool. my friend went on a missionary in the philippines for 2 and some years and just came back... he showed me the pix he's taken and the majority of the ppl he saw looked more like malaysian and/or cambodian like the darker skin tone because it's so hot there.
[post="105547"][/post]​
there's alot of different type of flipino.. =) there's basaiyan

juicee

sarNie Elites
the term pacific islander usually refers to those that are from polynesia, micronesia, or melanesia.

according to the US census, pacific islanders are people from hawaii, guam, samoa, or other pacific islands...inhabitants of chinese, taiwanese, japanese, indonesian, and philippine islands, although located in the pacific ocean, are not considerred pacific islanders, but are classified as asians...

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
juicee said:
the term pacific islander usually refers to those that are from polynesia, micronesia, or melanesia.

according to the US census, pacific islanders are people from hawaii, guam, samoa, or other pacific islands...inhabitants of chinese, taiwanese, japanese, indonesian, and philippine islands, although located in the pacific ocean, are not considerred pacific islanders, but are classified as asians...
[post="105796"][/post]​
wow interesting. I thought like indonesians are like polynesians?

pii-nky

sarNie Juvenile
KawaiiTennyo said:
wow interesting. I thought like indonesians are like polynesians?
[post="105808"][/post]​

whoa! this is wierd! i just thought-- where are polynesians from? i can see where indonesians are, but where does polynesians step in? just curious =)

juicee

sarNie Elites
no indonesians aren't polynesians. Polynesia refers to an area, often described as a triangle, with the three corners being Hawai'i, Easter Island, and New Zealand. Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, and French Polynesia lie within the 'triangle,' but certainly not Indonesia.

KawaiiTennyo

THE KT OF SARNIES
juicee said:
no indonesians aren't polynesians. Polynesia refers to an area, often described as a triangle, with the three corners being Hawai'i, Easter Island, and New Zealand. Samoa, Tonga, Cook Islands, and French Polynesia lie within the 'triangle,' but certainly not Indonesia.
[post="105815"][/post]​
damn juicee you know you geography!! ^_^

juicee

sarNie Elites
yeah i took an oceania art history class my freshman year, so i know a lot about that part of the world...