BEAUTY QUESTIONS

AutumnStar

sarNie Egg
SOME FRIENDS OF MINE AND I ARE PLANNING TO TAKE SOME PHOTOS. THE PLACE HAS A MAKE UP ARTIST BUT WE HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR IT; THEREFORE, WE ARE THINKING ABOUT DOING OUR OWN MAKEUP. SINCE I AM ASIAN WITH MEDIUM-LIGHT SKIN TONE, WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST I PURCHASE AS FAR AS FOUNDATION, LIP AND EYE COLOR, AND BLUSH? I DON'T USE MAKEUP SO IT'LL BE WEIRD WEARING MAKEUP BUT I ALSO WANT TO LOOK GOOD FOR THE PHOTOS SINCE THE PACKETS ARE EXPENSIVE. I DID SOME ONLINE SEARCHING AND AM THINKING ABOUT GETTING LAURA MERCIER MAKEUP SET. I THOUGHT IT'LL BE EASIER GETTING THE SAME BRAND. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ChenrukNote

Goddess
Umm I'm not such a makeup expert but I really like Maybelline's Lash Expansion mascara in very dark and waterproof. It works perfect for holding the curl of your lashes up. Plus its very cheap! Since you don't wear makeup often, then it's best not to splurge. And eyeshadow...I absolutely love Rimmel's Quad Eye Shadow 001 Smokey Noir. And you can use it even if you're not trying to achieve a smoky eye look. I like the lightest shade in the quad because it makes your eyes shine :D.

As for foundation, I don't use that because I hate the way it makes your face feel thicker lol, that sounds so weird. However, if you are looking for foundation, then choose one with sunscreen protection so that your face will be protected while looking good lol. And I find it hard to find a foundation that truly matches the face color, so it's ok to buy one that's a tiny bit darker than what you're skin tone is especially since you're going to be taking photos and that calls for lots of flash. Oh and lip color, just choose a pinkish gloss or a gloss with a hint of color but don't apply too much on, or your lips will look extra pouty, unless of course you're going for that look. Check out Bath&Body Works, they have some cute color glosses. However, for lips, I usually just stick to chapstick because I hate the sticky feeling of glosses on my lip. LOL i just realized how picky I am about what I put on my face.

Now blush, choose a pinkish peachy hue. It will look beautiful with your medium-light skin tone.

For the eyes:

Love this for the lips:

not sure, but why don't you set an appointment to get your make-up done at one of those cosmetic counters at the mall? free & you can ask them questions. it would be nice if you purchased some of their products, but you're not obligated to. :D just buy a lipstick, facial cleanser or something. :lol:

they might have a makeup set you're interested in. you might have to try a couple of counters instead of just one. also, do you know someone close to you who is good with make-up? snag her to go shopping with you. promise her some icecream afterwards. B)

noungning

Heartless
nai, i have that lipgloss, it was given to me as a christmas gift with chocolates and a starbucks card lol

# guy! wow i like u're advice ;) lol...

yeah with u giving us ur skin color and such doesn't give that much help. i need to see your actual face... face shape and features makes a difference to what should be done to your face. so yeah, # guy's advice is good take it lol

Quarter

Tell me about it.
you know, for photos, you need to wear heavy makeup so it'll SHOW in the photos. you might look hideous in person, but you'll turn out really hot in the pictures (thats if the make ups are worn right).

im assuming you dont know how to put on make up, since you said you dont wear make up. Laura Mercier is expensive, chill. even if you did buy their product, theres another annoying step where you have to learn how to apply them.

if you dont wear make up, might as well pay for the make up artist.

BUT, for the best brand, Bobbie Brown is LOVE. i live on it LOL

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
you know, for photos, you need to wear heavy makeup so it'll SHOW in the photos. you might look hideous in person, but you'll turn out really hot in the pictures (thats if the make ups are worn right).
You look hideous no matter what.

Just go onto YouTube and type in "Asian Make up"

ChenrukNote

Goddess
nai, i have that lipgloss, it was given to me as a christmas gift with chocolates and a starbucks card lol

# guy! wow i like u're advice ;) lol...

yeah with u giving us ur skin color and such doesn't give that much help. i need to see your actual face... face shape and features makes a difference to what should be done to your face. so yeah, # guy's advice is good take it lol
Haha what a coincidence. I got it as a Christmas gift from my bosses along with lotion and other girly stuff, but yea I like the way the gloss is minty so it feels like I'm wearing chapstick lol. Plus, it tastes like candy cane :lol:.

margaretthao4

sarNie Adult
Here are some tips from me..I'm not the best but this has come from years of watching all them beauty shows lol. ok this is basically all you need i dont know if this was helpfull to you or not but hopefully it was just a little lmao. i had to pull out my makeup box for this..and i left out a lot hahahaha. I dont really wear makeup either but when i do i go all out for it.
And you can def opt out on a lot of this stuff like the primer for foundation and eye shadow.
Theres a lot of good yt vids on how to apply makeup... Just remember dont decide last minute to test out your makeup skills.
But really like someone suggested if you dont wear makeup and your not planning on it you should really just go for the make up artist.

Foundation
**a great tip is that the color should come match your neck color and not your face. Ohh and you should def wait a couple of mins before really choosing that shade. I suggest walking around wal-mat for a while and then go back to see which color now suits you. Choose roughly 2 or 3 colors that closely matches your skin color. Apply all three across your cheeckbones and then choose the one that best matches. This one should look some what invisiable compaired to the other two.
I also suggest you get a foundation brush but since you said you dont really wear makeup I would say get some foundation sponges.
**I love my MAC foundation Studio Fix in NW35 and my MAC 190 brush.
Before MAC I was using Bare Minerals and I loved that too. The starter kit is really great. It has poweder foundation in two shades, blush, 2 brushes (for foundation, blush, and conceler) and a dvd thingy on how to apply it.
I watched Oprah the other day and they did this "Oprah's gotta have" thing and Maybeline's mineral powder was one of them and I know they have that @ Wal-Mart.
**always choose something with spf!!!!

Eye Liner...I've been using the powder eye liner (mix powder in a little water) from Bare Minerals and I love it however the down side is that since its powder when you do put it on partilces of it tend to fall onto your face..Its good to have a wet towel around.
Before BM eye liner I used Cover Girl you could go liquid or that stick one. I prefer liquid becuse the liner brush gives you a lot more control.
***BE SURE TO PRACTICE A LOT BEFORE YOUR ACTUAL PHOTO SESSION.**

Eye shados...Again lol I love BM eye shadow. They have super duper nice colors. It ranges from daytime to night time.
I also love MAC eye shadows too. They're really made for a night out. Its dramatic colors which I also love.
Rimmel and Max Factor have some really really nice colors and cheap too also at Wal-Mart.
**I like to apply eye shadow primer before apply eyeshadow. It makes the color brighter and makes the eye shadow last longer. Urban Decay makes one and it looks like a genie bottle. IT WORKS WONDERS!

Lipstick/gloss...
Hahahaha I have a lot of BM products. I love love love the Dolly lip gloss. Its a little minty like the one from B&B Works and it has color. Smashbox also has a lip gloss called Diamond that will go well with a lipstick **tip for lip gloss...To avoid the "I just ate a big fat peice of fat" look apply a little to the bottom part of your lip the part that puffs out a little. You could add a little to the top part of your lip where it looks like mountains (if that made any sense lol)
**your lips are almost the same color as your finger tips so you should try out lipsticks on your fingers and you can most definatly bring up your fingers to your face to see if it matches you.** I love this one..How many of us do really match our lipsticks to the back of our palms hahaha!! DONT DO IT ANYMORE! LOL

Mascara for this I think Cover Girl is the best way to go well for me that is.
They make really good mascaras.
Smashbox has one that is two sided. One side has fake lashes in the mascara and its make to extend your lashes the other side you put on after and its the acutall black mascara to cover up the fake lashes. I like this one cause I have like no eye lashes hahaha.

AutumnStar

sarNie Egg

THANK YOU ALL FOR UR GREAT ADVICE N SUGGESTIONS! I DID STOPPED MAC EARLIER TODAY AND PICK UP SOME PRODUCTS. I PURCHASED ONE CREAM FOUNDATION - STUDIO FIX N30 AND IT'S A LITTLE TOO DARK SO I WILL RETURN IT AS SOON AS I HAVE TIME. THE LIPSTICK COLOR I PURCHASED IS TOO PINKISH-RED...I MIGHT GO BACK AND GET A MORE NEUTRAL COLOR. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK TOO PALE BUT I ALSO DON'T WANT MY MAKEUP TO LOOK LIKE A MASK ON!

A QUICK QUESTION - DOES IT MATTER THE BRAND U USED? MANY OF MY ASIAN FRIENDS USE BEAUTICONTROL AND MARYKAY. MANY TOLD ME BEFORE THAT BEAUTICONTROL IS GOOD FOR ASIAN SKIN SINCE A LOT OF THEM USED IT. I REALLY DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I'VE NEVER PURCHASE OR TRY IT.

AGAIN - THANKS A BUNCH!!!

A GREAT 'THANK YOU' TO ICE CREAM GIRL. THANKS FOR SUCH DETAILS. IT REALLY HELPS!

noungning

Heartless
lol nai! it is a funny coincidence eh and yeah, it was also on sale at the time too muahah christmas!

lol but yeah, i like the smell and the minty-ness. i've tried it for a day or 2 but it's so sticky and weird, i dunno then my lips got chappy :(

so i had to go back to my good old avon lol... yeah i'm a lipgloss addict. i have about 20 sticks for backup lmfao...

margaretthao4

sarNie Adult
LOL no problem. I hoped that helped a little.. I have more tips if you need them lol!
WOW reading through what I wrote up there I had a lot of errors in there hahaha..Hope that still made sense to yall!
Makeup really depends on your own skin type. What works for other people might not work for you and what works for you might not work for other people. You just really have to try it out for yourself.
OOOh girl I forgot to tell you that most asian woman need to use a foundation with a yellow undertone.
" To determine your undertone, take a look at the underside of your forearm:
If your veins look more blue, then you most likely have pinkish undertones. If your veins look more green, then you have more yellow or golden undertones."-MAC
OOOhh and MAC also has this Fix+spray for like $16.00 and it really finishes up your foundation. You just spray it on your face after your done with your foundation and buffer it in and you will look flawless!
Your MAC lady should know this. Since your going back to return your foundation ask them all sorts of qustions. Its their job to help you pick out the best colors for you.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I don't typically wear makeup, so no advice here except to visit Neutrogena.com.
They have a section where they ask you all sorts of question and match up makeup color/shades best for your complexion.

ChenrukNote

Goddess

THANK YOU ALL FOR UR GREAT ADVICE N SUGGESTIONS! I DID STOPPED MAC EARLIER TODAY AND PICK UP SOME PRODUCTS. I PURCHASED ONE CREAM FOUNDATION - STUDIO FIX N30 AND IT'S A LITTLE TOO DARK SO I WILL RETURN IT AS SOON AS I HAVE TIME. THE LIPSTICK COLOR I PURCHASED IS TOO PINKISH-RED...I MIGHT GO BACK AND GET A MORE NEUTRAL COLOR. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK TOO PALE BUT I ALSO DON'T WANT MY MAKEUP TO LOOK LIKE A MASK ON!

A QUICK QUESTION - DOES IT MATTER THE BRAND U USED? MANY OF MY ASIAN FRIENDS USE BEAUTICONTROL AND MARYKAY. MANY TOLD ME BEFORE THAT BEAUTICONTROL IS GOOD FOR ASIAN SKIN SINCE A LOT OF THEM USED IT. I REALLY DON'T KNOW BECAUSE I'VE NEVER PURCHASE OR TRY IT.

AGAIN - THANKS A BUNCH!!!

A GREAT 'THANK YOU' TO ICE CREAM GIRL. THANKS FOR SUCH DETAILS. IT REALLY HELPS!
I would say the brand doesn't necessarily matter. It's more of does it make you breakout after wearing it? If so, no matter how expensive it is, toss it lol. Mac makeup is awesome though :D.

lol nai! it is a funny coincidence eh and yeah, it was also on sale at the time too muahah christmas!

lol but yeah, i like the smell and the minty-ness. i've tried it for a day or 2 but it's so sticky and weird, i dunno then my lips got chappy :(

so i had to go back to my good old avon lol... yeah i'm a lipgloss addict. i have about 20 sticks for backup lmfao...
Aww that sucks that your lips got chappy. And yes you are a crazy lipgloss addict...20 sticks for backup? LOL. I only own two ^_^.

Your MAC lady should know this. Since your going back to return your foundation ask them all sorts of qustions. Its their job to help you pick out the best colors for you.
i agree with above comment.

in addition, if you have the time and their number, seriously, set up an appointment and have them do make-up on you. see what they decide to use on you and why. if it turns out ugly, tell them why you think it's ugly. they'll redo it for you. have them try products on you that you were interested in buying. don't be shy, and don't go when they're too busy.

those ladies or girls at the counters have been trained to use their products. they're very knowledgable. but then if you don't talk, they won't know what type of make-up you want... the natural look, the cosmo look or the clown look. :lol:

you already paid for their highly overpriced products without using them. man. :p also, they work on commission. should you bombard a particular salesperson with questions and work her, buy the stuff from her versus going back later to get some stuff from some lacky who did nothing to help you but ring you up. -_- if you develop a good relationship with your salesperson, she will hook you up with free stuff.

and should you want to begin wearing make-up on a consistent bases besides this photoshoot, i'd suggest going with drugstore makeup first like from rite-aid & cvs. so you learn the basics of applying make-up and what colors work for you first. it's usually inexpensive and returnable. once you're an expert, then go for the expensive department store products. they have great sales during the holidays esp. christmas, and remember to develop a good relationship with your salesperson if you stick to one brand like MAC.

margaretthao4

sarNie Adult
man 7270 aka stitch i love your imputs on everything hahaha you should be my friend for reals hahahahaha

I also wanted to add that right now MAC is having a brush sale. Its really cheap like 50.00 for 6 brushes which if you use MAC brushes you know thats SUPER DUPER CHEAP..One brush is already like 40.00...GO GO GO GO get your MAC brushes today!

well, i'm a MAJOR fan of Sephora's...they carry the bulk of cosmetics brands, from the big ones like Lancome and Laura Mercier to the emerging ones like Stila, Pop Beauty, BareMinerals, Benefit, Too Faced, Smashbox, etc.

Face: i'm in love with the Smashbox primer, foundation, powder, and concealers

Eyes: anything is good, since there are so many hues for the eyes, but for eyeshadow, i adore Pop Beauty and Urban Decay as well as MAC and Too Faced...for eyeliners, i'd stick with the pencil kind (as opposed to liquid liners, ink liners, or the brush one smudge pot liners) -- but make sure it's kohl liner, which is buttery and glides on easily...for mascara, i love Bourjois or Fiberwig...

Brows: Anastasia brow set (filler, stencils, wax)

Blush/Bronzer: i don't normally use bronzer and wouldn't recommend it, since it's easy to apply too much and appear too over-the-top...just stick with blush...for blush: i love Stila and Too Faced

Lips: hmm...this one is a tough one, because i love choosing lipcolor...umm...for lipsticks: Lorac, Smashbox, or Givenchy...for gloss: Stila

also, if you find that you like make-up and would like to start a small collection of cosmetic bare necessities, here's my blog on beauty products:

My Beauty Product Blog

also, for make-up application techniques, there's a wonderful user on youtube who has these 1st-rate tutorials (she works wonders with makeup!)...her username is AskMeMakeup

:)