Been mistaken for another race

macli

sarNie Hatchling
Hey I was just wondering what a Hmong person would acutally look like. I think I look Hmong alot but others would tell me that if they don't know me, they think I'm a different race. I've been mistaken for Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and now Vietnamese. I seem to look like a different race each time I do something different to my face(plastic surgery....j/k just do my makeup differently) and hair(cut and styling) and skin(I range from light to dark depending on the time of year).. I find it fun to keep them guessing. Sometimes I would come out and say that I'm Hmong but then they would be like huh? then I'll tell them that I'm from Thailand(yes I'm born overseas in Thailand too) but then they'll go "You sure don't look Thai, but you look chinese."

And lastly I'm pretty sure that we all are not pure Hmong blood.

I am sorry if this topic has been discussed over and over again.

SunStar

sarNie Elites
LOL... same here...

best example!!

*it was way back when i was still a freshman in college... i didn't live on campus, so i didn't know a lot of people either... i had a class with 5 hmong students and through half of the semester, they didn't talk to me at all... so i just thought they didn't like me or something, so i didn't bother them either... one day in lab, i went up to them to borrow a item and i asked in hmong... they all just looked at me like, "what? you speak hmong?".... i started talking with them in hmong and eventually, i found out that they thought i was an exchange student from China b/c my name sounded chinese...

but now... those people are some of my closest friends and i'm glad i went over there and borrowed whatever it was that i was borrowing....

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
hehee.... :)

as for me, I've been mistaken to be lao...chinese.. & viet... & once.... "MEXICAN"... hahaha!!!! i thought that was funny... because where i work.. there are a lot of mexicans... :)

beamsgirl

sarNie Adult
I"m always always mistaken for laotion...this one time me and my friend ericka were standing in the lunch line and i started to talk hmong to ericka and ericka's frined pa tao turned to me and said, "OH MY GOSH YOU'RE HMONG?!!! I THOUGHT YOU WERE LAOS!" and like everyone turned and looked at me with disbelief that I was hmong...all I said was, "yeah, I'm ah...hmong alright..."

and like a year before that up there I was in biology class and my friend sandy who's laos said randomly out of no where and had nothing to do with our work, "bao, are you laos?" i said, "no, I'm hmong" she said, "you sure? I didn't know you were hmong! you look nothing like hmong!" then she turned to my other friends and asked them if I looked hmong and they all said no...I was like "sandy you knew me for months now andyou didn't know I'm hmong? I mean we're new friends but seriously..."

yeah so I guess I look laotion...but my bros say I look like african american... :huh:...so I don't know what I look like... :unsure:

kry*star

sarNie Adult
i've been mistaken for chinese (well of course being a minor asian) and being indian and also mexican!

macli

sarNie Hatchling
interesting...some of your stories are funny and nice...thanks for sharing too

yajvaj

sarNie Adult
ahaha...i've been mistaken for many other race too!

1.mexican
2.laos
3.thai
4.native american

they also said i look older than my age!
this one time i went with my sister to get her eye prescriptions and they put lidquid in her eyes to make the pupil big and the people was like can u drive ur younger sister home? and i was like im only 13 (at that time!!)

Fearless

sarNie Adult
I always get mistaken for Korean or Chinese... I hardly speak hmong so people who don't know me don't know that I'm hmong unless I started speaking hmong.

moonfaerrie

sarNie Hatchling
I don't know, alot of my friends said i looked indian (india) cause i got huge eyes and frizzy hair, but people on the streets are always saying am I their race. If it's a Chinese person, he/she will ask if I am Chinese. If it's a Viet person, he/she would ask if I am viet. But my grandma on my dad's side is half Thai Dum, so I can say I am a fourth Thai.

rukD2B

Bai Yang [♥] Fong T. Xiong
CHINK. CHINK. CHINK. ALWAYS CHINK. My mom mistaken this one lady for hmong..and she was like "i dont speak hmong" and my mom was like "oh." then i cracked up..

to tell the truth..we are chink actually..but a chinks that have branched FAR away from the chink family tree...

stephanie

sarNie Adult
some ppl thinks tht all asian look alike. lol... like, you cant tell a british person from an french person, i think it just depends...

happy_tears

sarNie Egg
hahahaha, i guess everyone has been mistaken for a different race. I too was mistaken for a different race...but I am proud to be Hmong..

mysuper_girlfriend

sarNie Juvenile
LOL some of you are being mistaken as a Latino? That's harlilous. Mexicans and other Latins are a totally different look into them. You can tell a difference from a Asian compare to a Latin person. Some people need to get their eyes correct.

SweeTie_Dan

sarNie Juvenile
My korean classmate was often mistaken as Hmong. So when we went to Hmong Flea Market in Minnesota, she ask me how to say I am not Hmong in Hmong. She uses with the sale women and then they start to ask me if I was Hmong....

LizzieOo

sarNie Egg
That's funny =] Will when I was slimmer I was very white and got mistaken as a mix of some kind of Asian with white...odd don't really know why. But now since after the weight gain and my outdoor evens(I get dark easily too) I get mistaken as Filipino since I'm not dark enough to be mexican. And also I wear gray contacts too so a lot of people ask if I'm Filipino.

mokka

sarNie Adult
Always mistaken for Chinese... no matter where in the world I went to, most of the people i've met there always assumed I'm Chinese... except one time, the Japanese lady talked to me in Japanese and assumed that I was japanese...

xpotionnerd

sarNie Egg
lolz.. that's hilarious. once, we went to church camp and stopped at walmart and these girls from another youth group thought we were koreans... we were like what!? you know what i think, though? some of these hmong girls who are trying to look like other cultures should just be themselves because all these other cultures are trying to look like us! a lot of hmong girls have big eyes and natural brown hair anyway. =)