Being in a relationship and meeting the parents.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
The other day my boyfriend was talking about how his cousin (technically they're not blood relative) was asking if I'd be at her birthday party, I was last time but apparently most of his family knows I'm not a very social person. I think it's a cultural thing because none of my friends' parents seem to be bothered by it.

So I was like sure, I like her, she's cool and as awkward as social outings around strangers are for me I'd go because like I said, she's cool.

I've been with my boyfriend for a long time so I've met pretty much most of his friends and family. His parents are divorced so I've met both sets of parents and extended family members.

I always dread it when his parents come in to town because I just know he's going to want me to go out and eat with them because if I don't they'll most likely ask where I am. I don't mind going out to eat and I like his parents but OMG I just can't explain, it's just so awkward and uncomfortable every single time. I think it's the way he portrays his parents. His mom is a professor and counselor at a college in San Antonio and although she seems nice he sometimes tells me things that make me think she's this super uptight person. So when I'm around her I feel like I'm going to the principal's office (which has not actually happened before). His mom has been in tow for over a month now because his grandparents are sick and I think they're about to pass on. So, his uncles have flown in from NYC and the Hamptons and the one I see the most often seems very laid back and cool but apparently he thinks I'm kinda weird too (well, he didn't say that but I can read between the lines). My bf said that they stopped inviting me to go out with them because they already know I wouldn't go, which kinda hurts. I mean yeah, they're right but still, the gesture was at least nice. I don't want to come off rude to them but I'm not like my bf or his family, I'm not a social person and they don't seem to understand that (at least my bf doesn't). I'm not shy, I'm just very reserve, it's just the way I was brought up.

My bf said that part of being in a relationship is having to be around their friends and family. Which, duh, I know I just didn't think I'd have to be in a relationship with them too.

Now, his dad and stepmom live in Florida so he doesn't seem them often so I make an effort to out to dinner with them when ever they come to Houston. His dad seems nice enough but he reminds me of my dad, seems nice and friendly on the outside but I have no idea what he's really thinking. My bf doesn't help either because it seems like more often than not he's arguing with his dad on the phone about where his future is going. So I try to avoid that topic altogether. His mom is nice though, she's one of those very open and friendly people which puts me at ease. Even then, I'm still pretty sure that they think I'm too quiet or reserve.

God, even his friends say that I'm quiet they joke to him that I don't talk at all which pisses me off if my bf didn't say something to defend me.

I may be quiet but it doesn't mean I've passive or submissive. There's the every day me, someone who's reserved and then there's the professional me, who can debate and argue with the best of them when I need to. But I can't be the latter all the time, it's exhausting at the end of the day I'm the type of person that likes to be alone, enjoying the quiet and being able to have some personal time to think.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think it's just a cultural thing and I tried to explain it to me but some times, he only hears what he wants to hear.
For example, he was getting on my case about why I don't send things to my parents for mother's and father's day. I told him I would except that my parents don't celebrate those holidays and my parents don't like me spending money on them. I told him I don't need a day to honor my parents, I honor them every day but making them proud and treating them with the respect they deserve (like not yelling or talking in an inappropriate tone with my parents, the way he does sometimes). I even told him that not everyone celebrates those holidays, definitely not everyone in the world. He was like "whatever" so I pointed out his close friend, who I know doesn't celebrate mother's or father's day. All he said was that his friend didn't get along with his parents which I didn't think was a good excuse.

Now, I've been the reserve type for most of my life (when I was younger I was very wild, loud and a little obnoxious) and it's never really been a problem. I've actually gotten better in terms of being social since then but I doubt I'll ever be the club-going type or the get-wasted type. It's just not me. I was raised to be outspoken but I was also taught to be reserve and cautious about my surroundings, to always have composure. My closet friends understand that it's how I am and their parents like me because I am the way I am. But like I said, probably a cultural thing. My friends are Vietnamese and all of their parents were immigrants, so were my parents (although, my parents are a tad more open minded than theirs).
My bf's parents are 3 and 4th generation Chinese-Americans. They don't even speak any form of Chinese in their household, my bf had to learn Cantonese at school.

Okay, I think that's pretty much it. It's partial venting but I'd also like to know about other people's experience with their significant other's friends and family. I've never dated a Laotian guy (all of my exes were either Chinese, Vietnamese or Filipino) before so I have no idea if things would be better or worse.

***Please excuse any typo/errors. I'm just to lazy to proof read right now. ^_^

Welps lets see... As for me and SLL... Even thou were not dating and just friends does that count... ^_^ Butta I met like about 50% of his families already. He and his family dont invite me anywhere because they KNOW that I wont go already and if I do go I make SLL do everything for me. And that pisses him off... I am raise from a family that teaches us... When you are a guest you wait patiently for things to be handed out to you. Never be the first at the table, nor be the first to do anything when its not your house. Be a nice guest and greet others. If they ask you to join them at the table; do but if you are not comfy about it then dont. Its also not polite to turn people down either; but dang ima really shy person around elders.
But when Ima with people my age; Ima still abit nervous about doing anything my way butta I still follow others. I tend to wait then do... I guess it varies from people to people and how you are raised...
There are times when I am hanging out with SLL and he's with his family near and or far distance, he still make fun of me. Jokes as if its JUST US... It makes me feel wierd and very bothered. Also when I invite him to meet my sisters who came into town; he's not shy. He even joked with then about me. I mean sheesh! keke! I really dont mind cause I get to KICK his ASS later when its JUST US butta I mean if it was ME I wouldnt be able to start a convo with anyone... unless ima tipsy or drunk. Butta Ima not a social person either; I only talk to people I know... Also I avoid going to place like the NEW YEARS, JULY 4; FAMILY GATHERING... You name it; I avoid it... I make people go get me stuff; if they dont then my loss... NEVER BEEN A SOCIAL PERSON EVER... EH!
Butta I wish I could be a person who can start a convo or relax with anyone not having to think of anything... I do wish I could just be a person who can be comfy with anyone and talk to them like I knew them for many many years... ahah!! That would be NICE! :p

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Glad to know I'm not the only one.

For the most part I'm fine with my friends' parents because well, most of my friends I've known since first grade.
I hate small talk too. I can fake it when I have to, like when I'm writing a story and I have to do interviews, I do background research and think of questions ahead of time so it makes the interview as quick and painless as possible. I pretty much put my game face on because I know I'm most likely not going to have to see or deal with these people again.
But with my bf's friends and family I have to see them over and over again.
I was taught to that guest should be given stuff too, that you shouldn't be grabbing so when I had to go out with my best friend and her bf's family, it was sooo awkward. Not only were they not very friendly (for some reason I got the impression they didn't like me, which was weird because most parents love me) but they were attacking the food like they hadn't eaten in weeks and they looked at me like a weirdo for not just digging in.

With my own family I'm okay with. I'm not as talkitive with them only because everyone else tends to be louder than I am and talk over me (something I really hate). That and when I talk, 60% of the time they look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language.

There are some exceptions though. Like I can know someone for years but never really be comfortable enough to completely open up to them and really show my personality but with certain people I just click with instantly and we end up becoming life long friends.

my family is very mixed -- mostly caucasian and various asian cultures. so it's hard to say whether it's a cultural or an individual preference thing for us.

usually, i don't talk too much unless the topic interests me or i see someone feels out of place, and i'll usually talk them into feeling more comfortable. i'm more reserved and a listener, but i can also talk and be social (although this takes more energy out of me).

my vietnamese uncle is very social. people in my family RUN AWAY from him. no one dislikes him or anything. we actually all think he's very nice and cool. it's just he's too social for us. :lol: he's climbing up the ladder at work though. that social thing combined with his hard working self works for him in his career.

now on my dad's side of the family who are mostly christian and mostly mixed caucasian, they think me and my brother are the best. they say we're so well-behaved and focused on what we do. now my mom's side, who are mostly mixed with various asian cultures, they say me and my brother are conceited and act like we're better than everyone. :lol: so it's really hard to please everyone. i used to be really confused and kind of hurt by all this when i was younger. now that i'm much older ;), i just figured i'll just be myself. i'll only step out of myself for kids or for people who feel out of place or something.

i don't care for people's parents and friends. if they don't like me for who i am, we should spend little time together. that goes for my entire clan, too. :lol:

snowflake

sarNie Egg
I try not to talk to my BF's mom. It's not that I don't like her, I just feel awkward and I don't know what to talk about and I don't want to come off as rude or disrespectful, so if I don't have to talk to her, I wont. She's really nice, I know that, but I just don't know what to say. She complains a lot though, about other ppl. lol. My BF tells me his mom is weird etc, and I believe him. haha. His mom talks a lot anyway, so when we do speak, I'll only slip in a few words when the conversation calls for it. :lol:

For me, being social depends on the ppl I'm with. If it's ppl I know then I'm the loudest and often times quite funny one. But around ppl I just met or know fairly well, I'm quiet and might come off as a bit rude, cause I'm a very sarcastic person. -_- But my sarcasm is used mainly to be funny, but ppl who don't know me will often times think I'm mean.

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
The other day my boyfriend was talking about how his cousin (technically they're not blood relative) was asking if I'd be at her birthday party, I was last time but apparently most of his family knows I'm not a very social person. I think it's a cultural thing because none of my friends' parents seem to be bothered by it.

So I was like sure, I like her, she's cool and as awkward as social outings around strangers are for me I'd go because like I said, she's cool.

I've been with my boyfriend for a long time so I've met pretty much most of his friends and family. His parents are divorced so I've met both sets of parents and extended family members.

I always dread it when his parents come in to town because I just know he's going to want me to go out and eat with them because if I don't they'll most likely ask where I am. I don't mind going out to eat and I like his parents but OMG I just can't explain, it's just so awkward and uncomfortable every single time. I think it's the way he portrays his parents. His mom is a professor and counselor at a college in San Antonio and although she seems nice he sometimes tells me things that make me think she's this super uptight person. So when I'm around her I feel like I'm going to the principal's office (which has not actually happened before). His mom has been in tow for over a month now because his grandparents are sick and I think they're about to pass on. So, his uncles have flown in from NYC and the Hamptons and the one I see the most often seems very laid back and cool but apparently he thinks I'm kinda weird too (well, he didn't say that but I can read between the lines). My bf said that they stopped inviting me to go out with them because they already know I wouldn't go, which kinda hurts. I mean yeah, they're right but still, the gesture was at least nice. I don't want to come off rude to them but I'm not like my bf or his family, I'm not a social person and they don't seem to understand that (at least my bf doesn't). I'm not shy, I'm just very reserve, it's just the way I was brought up.

My bf said that part of being in a relationship is having to be around their friends and family. Which, duh, I know I just didn't think I'd have to be in a relationship with them too.

Now, his dad and stepmom live in Florida so he doesn't seem them often so I make an effort to out to dinner with them when ever they come to Houston. His dad seems nice enough but he reminds me of my dad, seems nice and friendly on the outside but I have no idea what he's really thinking. My bf doesn't help either because it seems like more often than not he's arguing with his dad on the phone about where his future is going. So I try to avoid that topic altogether. His mom is nice though, she's one of those very open and friendly people which puts me at ease. Even then, I'm still pretty sure that they think I'm too quiet or reserve.

God, even his friends say that I'm quiet they joke to him that I don't talk at all which pisses me off if my bf didn't say something to defend me.

I may be quiet but it doesn't mean I've passive or submissive. There's the every day me, someone who's reserved and then there's the professional me, who can debate and argue with the best of them when I need to. But I can't be the latter all the time, it's exhausting at the end of the day I'm the type of person that likes to be alone, enjoying the quiet and being able to have some personal time to think.

Like I mentioned earlier, I think it's just a cultural thing and I tried to explain it to me but some times, he only hears what he wants to hear.
For example, he was getting on my case about why I don't send things to my parents for mother's and father's day. I told him I would except that my parents don't celebrate those holidays and my parents don't like me spending money on them. I told him I don't need a day to honor my parents, I honor them every day but making them proud and treating them with the respect they deserve (like not yelling or talking in an inappropriate tone with my parents, the way he does sometimes). I even told him that not everyone celebrates those holidays, definitely not everyone in the world. He was like "whatever" so I pointed out his close friend, who I know doesn't celebrate mother's or father's day. All he said was that his friend didn't get along with his parents which I didn't think was a good excuse.

Now, I've been the reserve type for most of my life (when I was younger I was very wild, loud and a little obnoxious) and it's never really been a problem. I've actually gotten better in terms of being social since then but I doubt I'll ever be the club-going type or the get-wasted type. It's just not me. I was raised to be outspoken but I was also taught to be reserve and cautious about my surroundings, to always have composure. My closet friends understand that it's how I am and their parents like me because I am the way I am. But like I said, probably a cultural thing. My friends are Vietnamese and all of their parents were immigrants, so were my parents (although, my parents are a tad more open minded than theirs).
My bf's parents are 3 and 4th generation Chinese-Americans. They don't even speak any form of Chinese in their household, my bf had to learn Cantonese at school.

Okay, I think that's pretty much it. It's partial venting but I'd also like to know about other people's experience with their significant other's friends and family. I've never dated a Laotian guy (all of my exes were either Chinese, Vietnamese or Filipino) before so I have no idea if things would be better or worse.

***Please excuse any typo/errors. I'm just to lazy to proof read right now. ^_^

OMG! You've just describe me and my relationship. I can so relate with you, I hate going to my bf's family function too, they have so many. On top of that when I do show up, I don't know what to do, or say for that matter... talk about awkwardness. Just recently his siblings told him that he cannot marry me unless I change. They said that I'm not "involve" with the family enough, so I told him I wouldn't want to marry him either, if I have to marry his family too. What do they want me to do, go to every single birthday and every single family BBQ? I don't event go to my own family's event, only the important one like Thanksgiving and Christmas. So to answer your question, hate it. So how do you deal with your situations? Please share your solution with me.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Count me in! I hate EVERY minute of having to do anything with his family, especially when they are very arrogant and meddling type of people. Ughh...... I hate to see say this, but sometimes I want to break up with him cause of his family. I miss my own life and not having to worry about people who don't appreciate all that I've done for their son and brother.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
lol Wish, I had a solution.
For the most part, some of his family members don't mind but they do wonder why I never go out when invited.
I guess to them it's unusual, they're a very social family, so they don't understand that it's not for everyone.
I don't like going to my own family functions either, except when it's a small one with just close family members and not extended cousins of cousins, etc. I like my family, I just don't like social functions in general, I hate sitting around, doing nothing but eating. I love eating, but come on, there's only so much I can eat in a 5 hour span.

I'm with you Lome, sometimes I wanna break up with my bf because he's always complaining that I don't socialize enough.
I've even told him that he doesn't have to stay with me if it's such a problem. Go find another girlfriend, you prick! :lol:
When he complains that his friends complain about me, or say that I'm not social enough, that's when I really get pissed. Family, I can kinda understand but seriously, he wants me to be more social because of his friends? Screw that, and screw him! I'm not going to change to suit his friends -- if they don't like me then, well who gives a $%&*, then can just kiss my ass!

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
well, as for me.

i wouldnt say, i hate it but its okay, i guess. just feel a little shy around my bf parents & family. ;)

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
I'm actually on a three month plan with my bf. Basically by November ( our six year anniversary) if we're still having issue on this whole family and friends thing we're gonna go our separate way. It's to the point where I'm just sick and tire of telling him why I don't want to go to all his family and friends functions.

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
I'm actually on a three month plan with my bf. Basically by November ( our six year anniversary) if we're still having issue on this whole family and friends thing we're gonna go our separate way. It's to the point where I'm just sick and tire of telling him why I don't want to go to all his family and friends functions.
well its not that bad. meeting ur bf's parents (family).. you might feel a little awkward, the first time.. after that, it'll be nothing.

And yes, i know what you mean..tired of explaining why you don't want attend family & friends functions.. been there. well, what can i say,
guys will be guys. :D hehe

good luck, i hope it works out. ;)

MasterMind

sarNie Hatchling
Oh, boy. Sounds familiar. My hubby is way more social than I, and most of our friends are really his friends. I always hate it when we have to go a party or something, because most of his friends are czech and all they speak all night is czech. So I end up sitting there by myself. Just freaken boring to me! But he understands that I don't like these situations, and he doesn't make me feel bad about it. He understands when I don't want to go to some function. And I don't go and I don't feel guilty. Sometimes I go just to spend time with him, and I want him to go and spend time with his friend. Just don't want him to feel guilty about me staying at home.

So, we compromise. We love each other and what's important to him is important to me, and what's important to me is important to him, and we try for each other's sakes.

MasterMind

sarNie Hatchling
I'm with you Lome, sometimes I wanna break up with my bf because he's always complaining that I don't socialize enough.
I've even told him that he doesn't have to stay with me if it's such a problem. Go find another girlfriend, you prick! :lol:
When he complains that his friends complain about me, or say that I'm not social enough, that's when I really get pissed. Family, I can kinda understand but seriously, he wants me to be more social because of his friends? Screw that, and screw him! I'm not going to change to suit his friends -- if they don't like me then, well who gives a $%&*, then can just kiss my ass!
He needs to support you no matter what. When his friends and family give him a hard time about you being "anti-social", he should defend you first and foremost.

And maybe come to a compromise. Like, if there's a freaken party or get together every weekend, just agree to a frequency that you're both comfortable with, like once a month or so. And if other people gives him shit about it, he just needs to say you have a life and other interests!

Alhambra1

sarNie Juvenile
well its not that bad. meeting ur bf's parents (family).. you might feel a little awkward, the first time.. after that, it'll be nothing.

And yes, i know what you mean..tired of explaining why you don't want attend family & friends functions.. been there. well, what can i say,
guys will be guys. :D hehe

good luck, i hope it works out. ;)
Actually I've met his family and friends plenty of times (considering the fact that we have been dating for almost 6 years), but I'm still not comfortable around them. I don't dislike them, I just don't want to attend every single birthday and BBQ. Like I said, I don't even do that with my own family. I hope it works out too, thanks!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
He needs to support you no matter what. When his friends and family give him a hard time about you being "anti-social", he should defend you first and foremost.

And maybe come to a compromise. Like, if there's a freaken party or get together every weekend, just agree to a frequency that you're both comfortable with, like once a month or so. And if other people gives him shit about it, he just needs to say you have a life and other interests!
I go every once in a while, usually special occasions like his cousins birthday.
I'll go to dinner with his dad and stepmother because they live in Florida so he doesn't see them that often.
Everyone else I don't care too much about. I mean I know they're his friends but I don't see why I have to go to every social event with him and his friends when most of his friends don't even have a gf. I tried that once for Halloween and I had the worst time ever. Not only was I the only girl in the group, I was like the third wheel (in that case the fifth wheel) just tagging along and I didn't even wanna go out with them. I only went because it's my favorite holiday and my bf begged me too.

lol...now i feel odd...i know that in-laws are typically supposed to hate each other's guts and all, but i actually enjoy my bf's family's company...his parents are so kind and welcoming...before i first met them, i was so nervous and all, but they were so open and all...i just feel like they're kind of my family too now...lol...we have dinner together once or twice every few months and it's just nice...i actually buy his parents things for mother's and father's day...he doesn't mind at all...