Best/Most Favorite Chinese Series

We've got a thread on best lakorns in the Thai section. Since I'm also Chinese series fan, I'd like to know what Chinese series you guys like and give your opinions on the best.
Since I'm a 90s child, I would definitely have to say that TVB produces the best Chinese series. However, almost all of the Chinese series I watch are Khmer dubbed (yes, I can comprehend Khmer, lol)

So here's my list:
- Condor Trilogy including Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre late 80s version
- Journey to the West 96 version
- Huan Zhu Ge Ge 97 version
- Lotus Lantern 2000 version
- Eternal Happiness 2002
- The Switch 2002
- Face to Fate
- Bu Bu Jing Xin

tippytoes

sarNie Adult
my list of faves:

- wo ke neng bu hui ai ni (in time with you) by ariel lin & chen bo lin (taiwan drama)
- huan zhu gege (vicky and ruby version) 
- bubu jing xin
- zhen huan zhuan 
- mei ren xin ji by ruby lin 
- qing shi huang fei by ruby lin 
- lu ding ji (the duke of mount deer) by zhang wei jian 
- xia yi zhan xing fu (Autumn's Concerto) by vanness wu and ady an (taiwan drama)
- fated to love you by ethan ruan and joe chen (taiwan drama)

bubbles8

sarNie Adult
watched and liked too many, i miss all the veteran chinese actors

dont know alot of english names for my fav, but heaven's retribution was really good

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
Hmmm...I'm not really sure. Haha. I don't usually watch Chinese series. I've seen Romance in the Rain and Scarlet Heart, but they weren't all that good to me. I've also seen some of the Dark Tales series, but I'm not sure if they really count because they're more of HK series, right?? Haha.

hsdsfan

sarNie Hatchling
My #1 favorite of all time is with no doubt, Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre 1986. That series was produced with uttermost perfection and no other adaptation can compare, not even the 1979 one. Everything from the acting to dialogue to wardrobe and soundtrack was phenomenal. Another thing to mention is that despite the lack of technology in those days, the combat hand to hand fighting scenes were beautifully and impressively done. My only complaint would be the inconsistency during the episode where the 6 sects were going to fight the Ming sect and in that same duration, it shows Wuji growing up 6 years later in the cave lol. If you're a wuxia fan, this is series you shouldn't miss out on. I should probably add that I'm a fan of the novel itself so I appreciate that this version was accurate, faithful and brought everything from page to life. 

So aside from that, here are my other favs. Considering that I've watched a countless of series, my list will be pretty long 555. 

TVB: 
(ancient)
The Twins 1979
Legend of Condor Herores 1982, Return of Condor Heroes 1983
New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung 1984
The Young Wanderer 1985
The Yang Saga 1985
Return of Luk Siu Fung 1986
Demi Gods Semi Devils 1996
Time Before Time 1997
Revelation of the Last Hero 1997
Duke of Mount Deer 1998
Legendary Four Aces 2000
Colorful Life 2001
A Step into the Past 2001
Virtues of Harmony I & II 2003/2004
Square Pegs 2004
Better Halves 2004
War and Beauty 2004
Wars of In Laws 2004
Rosy Business 2009

(modern)
Police Cadet 1985
Burning Flames 1998
A the Threshold of an Era 1999
The Family Man 2002
Net Deception 2003
King of Yesterday and Tomorrow 2003
Aqua Heroes 2003
Revolving Doors of Vengeance 2005
Drive of Life 2007
Survivor's Law II 2008
A Change of Heart 2013
Awfully Lawful 2013

ATV:
Reincarnated 1978
Who is the Winner I & II 1991/1992
The Kungfu Master 1994 
Heroic Legend of the Yang Family 1994
Ten Tigers of Guangdong 1999 
Young Heroes of Shaolin 1999

Taiwan:
Justice Bao 1993
Huan Zhu Ge Ge 1997
Bodyguards - Jade Doll & Bodygaurds - Cryptic Crystal 1997/1998

Mainland China & CTV:

Smart Kid 2001
Legendary Fighter Yang Heroine 2001
Paradise & Legend of the Magic Mirror 2003/2005
Young Warriors of the Yang Clan 2006
Schemes of a Beauty 2010
The Royal Harem 2011

x0unerthanlater

`my dragon's blood is blue`
I grew up on Chinese shows! I watched so many, I can't even name them all. For some, I remember scenes but can't place the titles, lol

Wind & Cloud
Demi Gods Semi Devils
Eternal
Chinese Paladin
Journey To The West
Legend of The Condor Heroes (Most/All)

I must time travel to list them all, Lol - They were all awesome!

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
I just finished Treasure Venture. I really like that series. There were moments that were unnecessary and kind of lame, but overall I enjoyed it. Plus Nicky was handsome in there. Haha. So I will say, thus far Treasure Venture is my most favorite Chinese series.

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
^ You should watch Nicky's other works too.  He was so cute in Treasure Venture, love him and Vicky <3

As for my list... I can list on and on.. but these will have to be my favorites. (Not in any order)

Mars
Black & White
Fated to Love You
Love/Return of the Condor Heroes (2006) - Huang Xiao Ming & Liu Yi Fei's version.
Princess Returning Pearl
Romance in the Rain
Shanghai Bund - Huang Xiao Ming's version
Chinese Paladin - HuGe & Liu Yi Fei
Bu Bu Jing Xi
Young Warriors of the Yang Clan (2006) - HuGe, Peter Ho...

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
aikoden said:
^ You should watch Nicky's other works too.  He was so cute in Treasure Venture, love him and Vicky <3

As for my list... I can list on and on.. but these will have to be my favorites. (Not in any order)

Mars
Black & White
Fated to Love You
Love/Return of the Condor Heroes (2006) - Huang Xiao Ming & Liu Yi Fei's version.
Princess Returning Pearl
Romance in the Rain
Shanghai Bund - Huang Xiao Ming's version
Chinese Paladin - HuGe & Liu Yi Fei
Bu Bu Jing Xi
Young Warriors of the Yang Clan (2006) - HuGe, Peter Ho...

I would LOVE to watch ALL of Nicky's works, BUT it wouldn't be of any use since I won't understand anything. HAHA. Oh how I wish they would release Eng subs for all Chinese series. I have seen two of his other series though: Scarlet Heart and Iron Fisted Drifter. Scarlet Heart because it was the first one in which I found with English subs. Iron Fisted Drifter because I'm a sucker for action packed Nicky...I watched it without subs and still managed to enjoy it. HAHA. Since I remember that I've also seen this one and enjoyed it, I'll say it's also on my list of favorites. HEHE. Actually despite not understanding every little detail I actually like the story line, characters, and soundtrack more than Treasure Venture...so I have to say IFD is my favorite thus far. :ghehe: Me and my indecisiveness. 

I've checked out MOST of Nicky's works (by that I mean the endings to his TV Series hehe) and found that he doesn't usually get happy endings...in terms of getting with the leading lady. Either she dies, he dies or something happened that prevents them from being together. That really sucks. 

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
phatman said:
I've checked out MOST of Nicky's works (by that I mean the endings to his TV Series hehe) and found that he doesn't usually get happy endings...in terms of getting with the leading lady. Either she dies, he dies or something happened that prevents them from being together. That really sucks. 

True that, true that.

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
aikoden said:
True that, true that.

Haha. I think only 1/3, maybe not even a third of his series have a happy ending. I wonder why he chooses such scripts. And you know what, after his divorce none of his series thereon after have a happy ending...at least I don't think so. Maybe he doesn't believe in love/happy endings anymore. Oh my poor Nicky.

hsdsfan

sarNie Hatchling
Have you watched the 1985 one with Ray? That one is really good too. Speaking of Nicky, my favourite series of his was Xiao Shiyi Lang and I also like him in At The Threshold of an Era even though he wasn't the main lead. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
hsdsfan said:
Have you watched the 1985 one with Ray? That one is really good too. Speaking of Nicky, my favourite series of his was Xiao Shiyi Lang and I also like him in At The Threshold of an Era even though he wasn't the main lead. 

I've seen clips of Xiao Shiyi Lang, but I'm not very fond of the hairstyles and wardrobe in there. If there are subs though I wouldn't hesitate to watch it. HAHA.

hsdsfan

sarNie Hatchling
Haha. I know the wardrobe and hairstyles were awful but can never expect much from CTV. Nicky and Athena were a really cute pairing. I'll search around to see if there's any subtitles. 

phatman

POPE's #1 MIA LUANG
hsdsfan said:
Haha. I know the wardrobe and hairstyles were awful but can never expect much from CTV. Nicky and Athena were a really cute pairing. I'll search around to see if there's any subtitles. 
Yeah, they were a cute pair. I've been searching every where, but nothing. I did stumble upon this website that did a short summary of each episode though. I haven't finished yet because I didn't really understand what was going on. Haha.

D~D

sarNie Adult
Romance in the Rain ( zhao wei + ? )
Treasure Venture ( Nicky + zhao wei)
Warrior of the Yang Clan (alec + chae rim)
Agean Sea (alec + chae rim)
Devil Beside You (Rainie and Mike)
Fated to Love You ( ? + ?) ..Lol !!!