Bleh. Angry Argument over Fruits and Veggies

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Ok so I was discussing this with some people. I was laughed at when I made the statement that Zucchini's, Eggplants, Cucumbers, Squash In general are fruits. They told me that I was uneducated and should go back to elementary school. Well in botany I learned that they were fruits. I was a bit angry, but at the same time I couldn't be because that's their opinion and people treat it as vegetables.

So what do you guys think

Zucchini
Eggplant
Cucumbers

Fruits are Vegetables?

ChenrukNote

Goddess
P'Tina you are not wrong. Whoever argued that with you needs to go back to grade school lol. They are all fruits. But cooking wise, they are vegetables.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
LOL well whats funny is when I told them that I was taught that in elementary - botany class in college they told my teachers to go back to school lmao.

lady_sati

sarNie Adult
i thought they were veggies too.
just cause it sounds simple like that.

but girl, you're in the botany class.
i guess whatever you say is right.
im not a veggie expert so.. you have more expertise than me. :)

good luck.

dont let this topic make you angry. :p

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Hahaha no I was just finding a reason to spam and plus it's a interesting discussion in a way.
The thing is cucumbers and etc are commonly known as veggies.
I consider them veggies too, but I believe them to be fruits.
Scientifically they are fruits, some people actually label them as both.
And actually the fruits i listed cucumbers and etc are considered Botanical Fruits Also can be described as Culinary Fruit;

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Hey if they called you uneducated and insulted you, you have every right to be upset. That's beyond opinion, that's straight out rude.

How come you guys didn't just look it up? That would just settle the argument.

I thought they were veggies too until I Googled it, you're right they are technically "fruits" not veggies.
I knew tomatos are fruits but didn't know eggplants, zucchinis and cucumbers were too. People think it's a vegetable because that's how it's viewed in the culinary world.

"The word "vegetable" is a culinary term, not a botanical term. The word "fruit" on the other hand can be a culinary term or a botanical term."

So technically eggplants, zucchinis and cucumbers can be both a fruit and a vegetable since the word "vegetable" is a culinary term and not a botanical term. Fruits are just something produced by a plants and we consume it. When people think of fruit they think of something you can pick off a tree and eat (presumably washed first) when people think of veggies they think of things you typically put in salads or use has a side dish when cooking (or cooked into the meal). It's not often you see someone pack an eggplant for a snack, pull it out of their bag and bite into it. :p

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
I learned they were considered fruit in high school. And the only way I could remember is that fruit have seeds and vegetables don't. Tomotaoes have seeds, so they're considered fruit. Same thing for cucumber. Zucchinni and eggplants? Do they have seeds? I haven't eaten those for so long I don't remember anymore.

darvil

sarNie Adult
who cares.. fruit or vegetables.. either way I can't put that crap in my mouth..

Its all about eating big fat juicy meat.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
I learned they were considered fruit in high school. And the only way I could remember is that fruit have seeds and vegetables don't. Tomotaoes have seeds, so they're considered fruit. Same thing for cucumber. Zucchinni and eggplants? Do they have seeds? I haven't eaten those for so long I don't remember anymore.
Yes zucchinis and eggplants have seeds. I hate zucchinis though, but eggplants I love, especially if my mom prepares it mmmmmm delicious. I'm making myself hungry now lol.

amikrazie

sarNie Oldmaid
:p
Hey if they called you uneducated and insulted you, you have every right to be upset. That's beyond opinion, that's straight out rude.

How come you guys didn't just look it up? That would just settle the argument.

I thought they were veggies too until I Googled it, you're right they are technically "fruits" not veggies.
I knew tomatos are fruits but didn't know eggplants, zucchinis and cucumbers were too. People think it's a vegetable because that's how it's viewed in the culinary world.

"The word "vegetable" is a culinary term, not a botanical term. The word "fruit" on the other hand can be a culinary term or a botanical term."

So technically eggplants, zucchinis and cucumbers can be both a fruit and a vegetable since the word "vegetable" is a culinary term and not a botanical term. Fruits are just something produced by a plants and we consume it. When people think of fruit they think of something you can pick off a tree and eat (presumably washed first) when people think of veggies they think of things you typically put in salads or use has a side dish when cooking (or cooked into the meal). It's not often you see someone pack an eggplant for a snack, pull it out of their bag and bite into it. :p
aww thats very educational thanks for googling it for the rest of us...

actually the cucumber we can pick it off the plant...wash and bite into it as snack *or dip it into some pepper sauce...cant say the same bout the other two or three that tina listed. lol even though i love eggplant..that stuff goes well in stir~fry, curries & for dipping ...dangit making myself hungry already...

actually there are many veggies with seeds...pumpkins and this other green veggie dont know what its even called...or are they considered fruits as well...k..whatever...they are all good to me..since im not a picky eater... ^_^

i think we should post some pics to show some if not all of these fruit/veggies?? what do you guys think??

noungning

Heartless
ahaha well my parents eats the thai eggplant raw i dunno about u ppl.

well the american egg plant is probably a bit strange to eat raw. i prefer a majority of my fruits cooked haha... i mean these fruits we are referring to.

but yeah i'm quite illiterate about fruits and veggies, i just eat em hahaha :p

genkers

sarNie Juvenile
k first of all they were rude shouldn't have laugh at you like that and secodn of all i really think this is a matter of opinion really

dfemc

sarNie Adult
yeah from a biological definition, anything that has a seed is a fruit. because the seed is the ovary, which can then bear fruits :) so if it's got seeds, it's a fruit, n u are right tina beena.

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
Yeah to me it doesn't matter neither, but I guess I was highly offended when they called me, "Uneducated" over something I was right about =/