Cambodian Surnames

jeniferin

sarNie Egg
Some of the common Cambodian surnames consist of Chey, Im, Kim, Lim, Mao, Ouch, Oum, Seng, Soeur, and San
Mines "In" but doesn't sound cambodian..
What's yours?

yak

sarNie Adult
[quote name='J'EN*' post='477920' date='Aug 26 2008, 03:58 AM']Some of the common Cambodian surnames consist of Chey, Im, Kim, Lim, Mao, Ouch, Oum, Seng, Soeur, and San
What's yours?[/quote]

mines is buth(in english), but in khmer its bout..

sueliq

sarNie Hatchling
Mines is NIM... you don't see a lot of khmer ppl with that last name. You feel kinda unique, when your last name is not like other people..

I don't know about other people, but I get giddy when I see, read, or hear a person's last name that is close to mine..

Don't know, I'm just weird that way.!!!

akinoyume

sarNie Hatchling
i was supposed to have my dad's surname, houy. i ended up w/ my om's surname, so. i've had ppl asked me how to pronounce my last name. lmao. there's no special way to pronounce "so".

SARY

sarNie Egg
2 short letters E M pronounce like AM

SARY

sarNie Egg
[quote name='J'EN*' post='477920' date='Aug 25 2008, 11:58 PM']Some of the common Cambodian surnames consist of Chey, Im, Kim, Lim, Mao, Ouch, Oum, Seng, Soeur, and San
What's yours?[/quote]

I have family friends with that last name in Kingston, Ontario.

yak

sarNie Adult
my khmer name is Samorn the R is silent..but for short ..it is just (mon)

Ha ha.. Thats my mom name, but her spell like Samoeun.. Her last name is keo too, but here in america they mess it up so now its kok....

russe

sarNie Adult
Ha ha.. Thats my mom name, but her spell like Samoeun.. Her last name is keo too, but here in america they mess it up so now its kok....
here in the US they pronounce it like Keo like "Kell". the American ppl can't say my last name right.

yak

sarNie Adult
here in the US they pronounce it like Keo like "Kell". the American ppl can't say my last name right.
its always like that.. like chandara.. they say it like how its spelled.. sometime when they say our last/first name, its funny cause the way they say it.. he he he... most khmer name are hard to say sometime.. but if u know the language its easy..

solin

sarNie Adult
Mine is really not cute :(
"kohong" (not sur for the spelling) which means tadpole in khmer.

ana_gigarcia

sarNie Egg
Hello to everyone... and sorry my bad english!!! ;) But i would like to do a tatoo with my name and some words , in khmer .

I'm from Portugal, i love your culture .....

i put below my name , my boyfriend name, my daughter name and some words ( in portuguese) if it not asking too much... sorry!!!!

My first name is Ana

daughter name is Beatriz

and my boy is Armando

and the words is together forever I love you both.

Is it possible??? is asking too much, i know... well I try if you need anithing for me ... I am were...

Kisses to all of you

wintr

sarNie Hatchling
mine is Long...doesn't sound Cambodian at all...every time people asks me what my last name is and i tell them that it's Long..they look at me and then ask me how long is it..i keep telling them that its Long...and they keep asking me the same thing how long is it...some time its frustrating..but funny too since they look at me really weird and that they seem to be annoy by it. but o well thats my name since i was born..lol

sueliq

sarNie Hatchling
mine is Long...doesn't sound Cambodian at all...every time people asks me what my last name is and i tell them that it's Long..they look at me and then ask me how long is it..i keep telling them that its Long...and they keep asking me the same thing how long is it...some time its frustrating..but funny too since they look at me really weird and that they seem to be annoy by it. but o well thats my name since i was born..lol
hahaha.. thats funny " how long is it.?" some times its true, that they don't get what you mean. but after a while they might just be making fun of you. I know for the longest time.. ppl called me: m&m. at first i thought it was cool, like a nickname. But then I caught on and they were saying it slower: M & NIM<< my last name. But I got over it. Now they know who to stand behind if their last names start with O... hahaha

raymond_obsessed

Just plain obsessed
Mine is Chin...not very Cambodian, but I think it's pronounced Jen, like what you call Chinese people...but when my dad told them our name in when we got to America, they wrote it down as Chin...