car insurance question

hey. i hope you guys have some experience with this. :spin:

my baby brother, 17, is getting a used car in May. It's going to be paid of. Anyway, his friends, one's a dude & one's girl. They already have their cars, & they only needed to add about $300/6 months to their family's car insurance. The kids' are only covered for liability whereas the older ones in the family w/ the new cars are covered for full liability.

I call my statefarm insurance about adding my brother & another vehicle. I get a quote for about $900/6 months -- liability only and on a 2002 toyota corolla. Right now, I'm paying $624.97/6 months for full liability. I know he's 17, but good god. :eek: What I want to know is how are his friends getting the ~$300/6 months? Anyone know? I told him to ask them for the full details and who their insurance is, but he's not trying to do his homework. So this week, i'm going to do the homework. If i still can't find something to help him out, i'm going to pass this on to him to do himself, man. <_<

Also, I got a quote for another insurance for me only for about $400/6 months. So I might be switching over to them instead of staying w/ statefarm, but I'm just worried if I add my brother in, it's going to be higher than staying w/ statefarm.

How many cars do they own? I mean the family and friends that pay 300$/6 months. For my family we are all under my daddy's policy but we all carry our own faults. Due to the fact that we all have 10 cars under my dad we get all these discounts. We are under statefarm by the way...
Well I get:
Student away discount
Good Student discount
Steer Clear Discount
Multi car discount (more then 3 car under same policy)
Over 21 age discount. When I hit 25 I get more discounts... 1 more year
and 3 year of no accident i get my rates lowered as well..
Hmm... Thats all that I think I got... Yuppers!!!

My younger sister who just turned 18 paid about 200$ a month for a 89 Corolla. hehe!!! But that's b4 she turned 17. Now that sh's 18 her rate drop from 200$ to 150$ a month. So i am only assuming it depends on your Statefarm, STATE and etc... But Yeah.
With all these discounts that I get, I only pay 70$/month and full coverage! I own a Corolla 99...

Liberty

sarNie Adult
It depends on the car insurance provider, you just gotta look around, some offer a better price than others.
Other factors to consider, age,gender, driving record, maybe even the color of the car and the city and area you live in.

I use to pay $120/month for auto insurance (used car) when I was living in Austin in the suburbs.
When I turned 21 it dropped to $80/month but when I moved to Houston to live in a more urban area it went up to $103/month.
It went up most likely because I live in a much bigger city with tons more drivers, a lot of which are bad drivers without insurance.

Now it's down to $86/month, I've been living in the same area the past 2 years and haven't gotten into a car accident or a ticket since I lived in Austin.

I'm with Southern County Mutual Insurance, sometimes local insurance companies offer a better price.

I have no idea how much my parents or my brothers pay because I have separate insurance from them.

darvil

sarNie Adult
those guys who have cheaper insurance prices are probably under a family "umbrella" and so they get it much cheaper. The downside to that is if they get in an accident, the guy can sue the umbrella itself.

Family umbrella... I never heard of that one. Got to look that up.

As for how many cars in the household, it's just me & my baby brother. I have an '07 Accord, & he's not sure what's he's getting yet. We'll go car hunting in May right before he graduates. ^_^

I'm likely to switch over to AIG myself, but I've got to check out their reputation first. That would bring my insurance (for full coverage, 100,000/300,000 liability, $500 deductible, all the other expenses <_<) to about ~$380/6 months. I did find an insurance company for if I add my name to his car as the primary driver, it'll be about $600/6 months which is about $100/month, but that's only for liability & not even full coverage. :eek: If we go w/ that, I told him don't even try to drive around his friends or girlfriends for those first 6 months until we can find better insurance for him. <_< Poor lil' guy.

Thanks for the tips! B)

darvil

sarNie Adult
Well lets say a few years ago I was under my stepfather umbrella and then I got into an accident.

And he was afraid those people were going to sue him. After that I got my own insurance ;)

So yea there are downsides to it.

ok. his lil' toosh isn't going to drive anyone until he can get his own insurance. :lol: for now, I do have to add my name into his car insurance or else he'll be paying way too much. I hope he pities me & actually listens to me, when I tell don't drive anyone. :lol:

BaBeeLaiLai

BaBeeLaiLai
He's only 17...thats why it's soo expensive...and those other kids who are getting it for cheap is because they are with their parents who probably has good insurance standing. My boifriend got his own insurance at the age of 17 as well. His parents wouldn't let him get with them so yeah. He started out paying i think 200 somthing a month for only libility too..but then as time progress now he's paying 150 a month. it's still expensive but it's good that he's building insurance credit under his own name. By no time later if nothing happens, he'll probably pay hella cheap.

It's probably expensive for you guys because your young too? how old are you?

I want to get insurance under my own name too..but then i would be expensive so i have it under my sister inlaw.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
ok. his lil' toosh isn't going to drive anyone until he can get his own insurance. :lol: for now, I do have to add my name into his car insurance or else he'll be paying way too much. I hope he pities me & actually listens to me, when I tell don't drive anyone. :lol:
Dude that last line reminds me of my dad lol, no offense, not calling you old or anything. Does your brother work or are you going to be the nicest bro in the world and pay for his insurance as well? Because in that case, you can be my brother any day ;).

Dude that last line reminds me of my dad lol, no offense, not calling you old or anything. Does your brother work or are you going to be the nicest bro in the world and pay for his insurance as well? Because in that case, you can be my brother any day ;).
nah. you swear at me too much. forget paying for your car insurance. i'd disown you or claim you were adopted. B)

judyp

sarNie Adult
its probably been said, i didn't really read the other posts in detail. but i pay $150/month and thats with multiple car discount, student discount & good driving record. i still think its bull. but because im considered a "new driver" (in which i've been driving for almost 4 years now) my rate got jacked. im actually under my mom's name. so imagine if i went on my own. its tough to find a good insurance. but insurance companies gets rated (like hotels) except they get letter grades. you mentioned AIG, and i know they're an A grade company. i had a list of different car insurance ratings, except i misplaced it. (probably trashed it) anyhow, the rate will depend on the type of car (sports car will obviously have a higher rate). and im not sure on this, but i think the gender also affects the rate (i want to say it is higher for males--don't quote me on that). age and driving experience will also determine the rate. good luck shopping and let me know when you find a good one so i can dig in too! ^_^

but insurance companies gets rated (like hotels) except they get letter grades. you mentioned AIG, and i know they're an A grade company. i had a list of different car insurance ratings, except i misplaced it. (probably trashed it) anyhow, the rate will depend on the type of car (sports car will obviously have a higher rate). and im not sure on this, but i think the gender also affects the rate (i want to say it is higher for males--don't quote me on that). ^_^
oh man. the sibling is a boy. :eek: ^_^ my insurance doesn't expire until the 8th. So it's likely I'll go w/ AIG, since I'll be paying under $100/month for full coverage -- not bad. Now for my baby brother, that's another story. :lol: Well at least, I know I can get one for him at $100/month, but that's for liability only & not full coverage. I'll have to seriously think about it. All I want is for him to be able to drive to school & work, when he gets to college. I'm sure he's going to want to drive friends though. hm.... If so, he'll have to find his own insurance. B)

Thanks for all the tips guys. I appreciate them! :D