Artist : Lala Hsu / Xú Jiā Yíng

This song is very popular.

Cotton

sarNie Egg
Zong Suan Wo Men Ye Ai Guo
Artist : Claire Guo Jing / Guo Jing

Annabel39

sarNie Egg
I have been learning many Chinese songs. I am wondering are there any good ways to Jazz these songs up. For the most part they are pentatonic or the pentatonic notes of scales are emphasized(sometimes they sound bluesy but then they don't resolve the same way). The songs don't modulate keys(except maybe to the fourth but the pentatonic notes are the same), in fact the very popular Guzheng is tuned pentatonically. Also for chords they use suspended seconds and suspended fourths very much, curiously the pipa is tuned such that many fourths and fifths are perfect, and the frets aren't equal tempered but based on 3/2's and 4/3's intervals. Traditional Chinese harmony would be considered monophonic, or based on fourth and fifth intervals, and generally they don't mark chords. Evidently Kenny G was able to do some great things with Jasmine Flower, so I think it is possible. In someways it seems like free jazz to me, without a chord form, but with heavily ornamented melodies. I am just wondering if there is anyway to adapt more familiar jazz harmonies to these melodies.Serve the potatoes alongside the puttanesca and garnish with basil and freshly ground black pepper.