choosing a career?

oil_yui

sarNie Adult
i'm having problem deciding on what to do. does anyone have the same problem like me? lol. anyways, what would you do if you have to choose only one thing. here's the problem about me, i want to be an actress/modeling, but my sister kept telling me that it's too ashame for me to become one (eventhough i audition for them sometime). and on the other hand, my parents wants me to get a job and support myself, since they can't help me anymore since i'm 18 already. then my oldest sister is telling me to get back into college, but she or no one is helping me with the application and financial stuff. which path should i lead? :wacko:

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
I would go back to school...as for the application...u can go to its help section...like fafsa.gov is a good site to apply

basically, you decide which is your next best alternative

and I have the same problem too...I have to pick a major so that I can continue to study in that field and after I can get a carreer in that field
But, I can not decide between two major...so frustrating...at the same time I have to continue with all these school works..

karenyang

#1S.H.E.&NicTse
going back to school probably the best thing.....like Linn says, you can go to fafsa.gov for help.....about working and career, you still have a long life, you can find it whenever you finish college....but just think which is the best for you....

L

lalalek

Yark Pen Nuk Rong (Singer)!!!!!!! lol...unsure for a real career now but for reals i always wanted to be one!!!!! It's just my parents thinks that i am stupid!!!!

darvil

sarNie Adult
oil_yui said:
i'm having problem deciding on what to do. does anyone have the same problem like me? lol. anyways, what would you do if you have to choose only one thing. here's the problem about me, i want to be an actress/modeling, but my sister kept telling me that it's too ashame for me to become one (eventhough i audition for them sometime). and on the other hand, my parents wants me to get a job and support myself, since they can't help me anymore since i'm 18 already. then my oldest sister is telling me to get back into college, but she or no one is helping me with the application and financial stuff. which path should i lead? :wacko:
[post="82028"][/post]​
begging is a good job! :p

Just kidding.

Here's my advice. Do something that you're somewhat interested in. Study something that will give you a job. The thing is that you're pursuing a risky job. Another one would be trying to become a writer. Anyway the point is that you should do something that will feed you and on the hobby side persue what you really want. yea I know all that "pursue your dream" stuff. But its not reality. Its just nice to have something to fall back on because you will be hitting alot of roadblocks along the way.

Here's another good choice.. Find a rich guy and marry him. :lmao:

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
what if what feeds you is not what you like
and what you like does not guarantee to feed you?

that is my dilemma...
but on the reality side...
you know what my answer have to be

oil_yui

sarNie Adult
:lmao: thanks for all the advice. after reading all these and thinking it over, i think i'll probably stuck in school for awhile untill i can really find the job i want. thanks all.

darvil

sarNie Adult
Linn said:
what if what feeds you is not what you like
and what you like does not guarantee to feed you?

that is my dilemma...
but on the reality side...
you know what my answer have to be
[post="82189"][/post]​
yes you're right but really.. you gotta like more then 1 thing right? Of course there are people who are single minded about one thing and obsessed with that thing all thru their life.

But really. We all have more then one interest.. Just find something that you half like.. lol half like. Anyway work on that.. and it won't be so bad. :eek:

noungning

Heartless
i agree with having to fall back on something. definitely if you can't get money by a being a struggling artist, maybe start off by working around the block like make up artist, water girl/boy, electric engineer for sounds and lights? lol anything really...

with "what if what feeds you is not what you like" girl you must be to young to grasp the concept of "LIFE"... nothing ever goes exactly your way.

Linn

SarNworld Wonderer
wow...u make it sound easy Darvil...find something...
when all I do is studying @ school n work-study there also
no time to explore the world outside or intern anywhere else
but thanks for ur suggestion

I'm not too young to grasp that idea but it's easier if u like the job u're doing...
since u'll be spending a lot of time doing it
n nothing is an absolute word...so yeah..
w/ the right planning, hard work, and determination...it might goes as u planned...

BlueMoon

SArNWorld STAFF
if money is an issue go partime and try to find a job within u're skool...mostly likely they might give your free classes just for working @ skool...

noungning

Heartless
i guess it would be easier to do what you like to do, but a majority of the people on this earth is doing something that they've never intended to do in the beginning. i would love to become a singer too but i guess it is a mare fact of if you do what you say u like... are able to do it and better than the people that are already doing it? are you able to live a better life from going the path you decide is better for you because you think it is best? not something that you'll go half way and decide shiit this is too much for me...and quit.

time... i guess many claims time is a big issue, but i know for a fact that if you really want it, time is no issue at all... i've seen many balance, full time school, full time jobs, school activities, and family all together. time management is the key, but unfortunately not everyone is great at it... and i can sure say i'm one of the worst ever. i used to say i don't have time... i don't have time... blah blah blah. they're just excuses of my laziness. i could and regret so much of what i didn't do because i claimed time was an issue. so if you know for sure u want it. make the time... u don't have to watch tv, chat online... u can use those time to do what you really want in life. seriously... but don't think i'm tryin to boss ya and act like miss know it all... i'm just suggesting from someone that has been in ur shoes before.

Muddie Murda

smile...
oil_yui said:
then my oldest sister is telling me to get back into college, but she or no one is helping me with the application and financial stuff. which path should i lead? :wacko:
[post="82028"][/post]​
Muahaha, I appreciate my sister then. Don't worry, you can do it yourself. If not, ask us here and we can give some pinpoints too. School is #1!

Darvil said:
begging is a good job! :p

Just kidding.

Here's my advice. Do something that you're somewhat interested in. Study something that will give you a job. The thing is that you're pursuing a risky job. Another one would be trying to become a writer. Anyway the point is that you should do something that will feed you and on the hobby side persue what you really want. yea I know all that "pursue your dream" stuff. But its not reality. Its just nice to have something to fall back on because you will be hitting alot of roadblocks along the way.

[post="82177"][/post]​
Hahahaha I LOVE your ideas.

-----

For me...I dont know, something's wrong with me. I have so much respect for people who continue school after high school, even if they do horrible in college. I can't seem to find what I want to major in and I feel like that's holding me back so much.

People always tell me, "Don't worry about what you want to major in now. You have plenty of time."

NO I DON'T!!!!!! :shocked:

It's been 2 years now and I still haven't found out what I want to major in. I don't know what I want to do.

Something to think about when choosing major:
-Make sure there are jobs when you graduate

This guy told me it was so sad to see people who graduated with a degree working with construction. They majored with business degree or something, I'm not sure. But they can't find jobs and end up working with the guy.

Choose a major, then you can probably minor in something you enjoy doing. I plan to do that. Something on the side like photography or art. I just know I don't want to major in those. Just minor, on the side.

Grrrrrrrrr.......

I need to find out what I want to be. It's so hard. :( I feel like I'm not good enough for anything. :wacko:

JaM

1TYM hwaiting!
Darvil said:
[post="82177"][/post]​
Hey! There's my goal in life! :lmao:

lol, jk...i can't really decide what to do with my life either...as of now I was planning on majoring in International Business and Economics, but then I also know that it would be a very competitive field to get into. And as Muddie said above, all those guys who majored in business and ended up not finding any jobs, I hope I'm not gonna end up like that. I then decided to change my major to pre-dentistry....but then I really don't want to be spending the rest of my life looking at people's teeth, filling cavities and what not...so then I decided to switch back..gah, why can't someone just tell me what to do?

This whole LIFE thing sucks...

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Linn said:
wow...u make it sound easy Darvil...find something...
when all I do is studying @ school n work-study there also
no time to explore the world outside or intern anywhere else
but thanks for ur suggestion

I'm not too young to grasp that idea but it's easier if u like the job u're doing...
since u'll be spending a lot of time doing it
n nothing is an absolute word...so yeah..
w/ the right planning, hard work, and determination...it might goes as u planned...
[post="82232"][/post]​
exactly linn. u make a very great point that ppl try to shove under the pragmatic mat. u know life is ironically but practically a space of existence that u make of it what it is. u can disagree with this premise altogether, but u'll find urself ironically redefining life by doing so.

nothing guarantees anything. not even a college degree or anything really in this world. making 6 figures may feed u and even then, will u have the time to eat or not is a whole 'nother matter altogether also.

the point is everything comes with a price. even the "sucessful" formulaic path to life, there's always an expensive cost to it all (sacrifice of time, family, loved ones, social life, cultural reality, who u are). so does the pursuit of your dreams, whether as a starving artist or not, u give so much of yourself and so many other things to get where u want to.

so fooling urself with the beleif that only ur stomach comes first may be too simple. often times, ppl are put into those circumstances deceiving themselves that there's only one way to feeding themselves.

why be deceived? make sure u know all ur options first and then think about how much are you willing to give up to accomplish it, and more importantly, is it what you could wake up in the morning to and stare yourself in the mirror, without the feeling of shame, regrets, or disappointment. :huh:

P.S. rich guys are usually perverts... ^_^ ...n plus they're as fadable as the air u breathe -_- because if he's rich, i'm sure he's got some top-secret school trained lawyers on his side prepping your prenuptial and protecting his property from any divorce suits or insurance claims ^_^

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
True story.

I know a guy who was going to be a doctor. However, halfway through school, he switched. I asked him "why?" because it wasn't because of his grades. He told me that he was confused. All his life, people have told him he was going to be a doctor to the point where he actually thought he wanted to be a doctor. Halfway through school, he couldn't tell if being a doctor was his dream or not so he switched out. I asked him how he finally decided. He told me that he went home and confronted his dad about it. He said the hard part was that there was all these pressure for him to be a doctor in order to take care of the family and I think it was getting to his head. He didn't exactly grow up in the best of conditions and his dad considered him to be the shining star that will rescue the family. However, he told everything that he was feeling to his dad and his dad said he never knew he felt like this. My friend then told me that his dad said "being there for your family and making a sacrifice is one thing. but don't make your life miserable because of it. your family is your responsibility, but it is not your burden." Then he switched out of being pre-med and he has ABSOLUTELY no clue what he's going to do now. I thought he would be freakin out, but he said it was the most wonderful thing ever.

So here's what i've learned from him. The first thing you have to do is make sure what you want out of life is what YOU YOURSELF want. Not your parents, not your friends, not anyone else. This does not mean you have to disregard your responsibility. It just means you have to think harder to find ways to incorporate your own thing.

Secondly, this is YOUR life. No one else is going to live it for you. This is harsh, but you'll outlive certain people and you'll die before others. So others will not be able to live your life.

Thirdly, while you are young, explore all that you can explore. The great thing about being young is that you can fuck up and still come out ok. Just no killing people. Killing people is bad. But otherwise, go exploring whatever your heart desires. No path is ever straight and narrow.

----------------------------

And if you're wondering who that friend is, it is....ME!!! Just kidding! It really was a friend. Did you really think I was that cliche?

And dfemc, I still understand less than half of everything that you say but ironically, less that half of everything that you say is of any importance and I think I understand the part that is nonsense. So um, stop being so circular.