Cover up Shooting in Fong Lee Case

dancy

sarNie Oldmaid
Anyone watch this news this week they talk about this case...There was a topice on this case a while back some where here when it happened...

Some update on this case.

Mpls Police Accused of Evidence Cover-Up in 2006 Shooting

Created On: Monday, 30 Mar 2009, 8:27 PM CDT

Tom Lyden

MINNEAPOLIS - The family of a 19-year-old man who died in an officer-involved shooting in 2006 is raising questions about evidence in the case. They accuse police of covering up evidence, especially in what they claim to be a mystery gun.

The family of Fong Lee has maintained from the start that he never had a gun during the incident.

They could not explain the Russian-made 380 a few feet from his dead body though.

In court documents filed Monday, attorneys for Lee's family trace the stolen gun to its original owner. They now claim cops dropped the gun there to cover up the shooting of an unarmed teenager.
The incident

On July 22, 2006, Lee died at the hands of Minneapolis police.

Lee was running from police in north Minneapolis. City View Elementary surveillance camera caught some of the chase.

In the video, Lee is running away from police without a gun. A few seconds later, Lee is dead. Police say, Lee pointed a gun at the officer, and the cop had no choice but to shoot. Lee was shot multiple times.

The Evidence

Attorneys for Lee's family claim the gun he was allegedly carrying, wasn't Lee's gun at all. In a court affidavit filed Monday, Dang Her says the gun is his.

The serial numbers match his numbers. The gun was stolen from his home February 2004, two and half years before the fatal shooting.

The gun was supposed to be in the Minneapolis Police Department evidence vault. It should not have been on the crime scene.

Sources within the Minneapolis Police Department tell FOX 9, there was an innocent mix-up. They say there are two guns. The gun in the evidence room wasn't the gun taken from the robbery in 2004. The gun from the robbery was recovered next to Lee's body.

Police tried to clarify the discrepancy in a police report a month after Lee's shooting, but to attorneys representing Lee's family, it all looks like an attempt at a cover up.

>>>Link to go watch the clips:
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/Mp...g_march_30_2009

>>>Link to go watch the press conference:
http://mplsmirror.com/joomla/index.php?opt...22&Itemid=1

They going to court on May 11, 2009 (That what I hear from my parents when they went to the meeting of this case.)

yajvaj

sarNie Adult
i read it in newspaper also and this is messed up! the police are covering up so many things!!

mailee0515

sarNie Egg
I am not related to Fong's family but my father and the Lee clan is all together on this. Although I try to keep neutral in the case, I can't help but feel more and more that the police department is lying. The case is going on trial on May 1 so I really hope there can be some closure. If it turns out that Fong was killed in cold murder, there will definitely be hell to pay from not only the Hmong community but throught the nation because the trust that we place on our officers has been broken and will probably never be linked again. This case isn't just about race, it is about justice. It will be interesting to see what will happen.

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
anyone seen the popular movie "CRASH" ?? this reminds me of the police who was making the murder of the little brother a crime scene when he was the one who killed the poor boy...

dancy

sarNie Oldmaid
Here are some more detail on this case and the video.

Investigators: What You Can't See

Published : Monday, 04 May 2009, 9:20 PM CDT

MINNEAPOLIS - Whenever a police officer uses deadly force, his actions will be examined in second by second detail. A Minneapolis policeman who shot and killed a teenager named Fong Lee is under that microscope right now.

Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan issued a statement Monday, saying his officers never planted a gun on the body of Lee, a teenager shot by a Minneapolis officer in 2006.

Fong Lee was shot in 2006 by a Minneapolis police officer, who claimed the 19-year-old pointed a gun at him. Lee was shot nine times.

The gun was found several feet from Fong Lee's body. It did not contain a single fingerprint or any of Lee's DNA.

"We believe all along that Fong did not have a gun and to this day we still believe it," Lee's sister, Shoua, said.

Family members sued in 2007, with the wrongful death trial is set for May 1.

Statement from Chief Dolan

"We take all allegations of police misconduct very seriously. We want our community to be able to trust that its officers will protect with courage and serve with compassion. That’s why we want to be absolutely clear: no officer ever planted evidence in this case and we look forward to proving that in court.

While no officer wants to take another life, two internal department investigations, as well as an independent grand jury, have ruled that the death of Fong Lee was a case of justifiable homicide."

Link to the news and video if ya watch to see:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/news/in...See_may_04_2009

bee4615

sarNie Egg
I too agree with the many that the police are covering up....In the video...Fong was running away from the police..as he goes out of the camera view..the officer running behind Fong has already held his gun out and what looks like a shooting stance about to happen....It just doesn't look like Fong could have turn around and pinpoint the gun at the office at that speed of run right after he goes out of camera view..You can see that the officer has already decided to pull out his gun as Fong was running out of camera view...Any idiot could tell from that that the officer is trying to kill him...and why not just a shot to the leg so that he couldn't run anymore..or you know..just one shot..why so many?
But then again.........I just don't see why an innocent person will run away from the police.....but still the officer is GUILTY. No matter what... HE HAS TAKEN A LIFE AND SHOULD BE PUNISH FOR THAT, but instead he is rewarded. Where is the justice in that.