Days in Eden :: Tik/Aff

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
Days In Eden

Starring: Tik & Aff
Genre: romance/drama
rated: pg-13

[ summary ]

At 17 and 16 they met in a rush of youthful plight and passion, each feeding off the other's hunger for life and adventure...but will they forget their days in Eden as the pressures and realities of society and life sweep through their summer like a storm or will this same passion be remembered years later when they meet again and their fates prove to be more than just the fresh blush of youth?

cecilia

Staff member
b/c of 2 nighst a week, i like aff and tikker alot together now. :wub:

hope to read more good stuff about them .. 16 and 17 is so young :p

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
]01 - 1998

“Listen to me, where are you going?”

The young man paid his father no need, briskly pushing past his father, “get off me!”

Pushing past, he grabbed his coat and dodged his father’s attempt to grab hold of him.

“come back here let me explain!”

His father’s voice charged at his back as he slammed the door and stormed into the pouring rain, choosing to brave nature’s havoc than return.

“Stop him Vee! Don’t let him take the car, god knows where he’ll go!”

“yes sir,” the servant nodded, rushing out after the young man.

But moments later Vee came back, drenched and empty. He was gone.

------------------------------------------------------

“God, what the hell is wrong with him!” He growled to himself angrily, driving forward into the dark.

He didn’t know how long he’d been driving now but he knew he left around 11:30. He had no idea where he was going and how long the gas would last him. His only resolution was to go far.

But after the anger subsided, the late hour was closing in on him. He’d been on the road for hours, driving north with no destination in mind. He’d have to stop soon.

The lights were fewer. Actually he must’ve turned onto some country road because the road was getting narrower and darker.

Then he heard it, a screeching sound, becoming louder than the storm outside and his car started to screech and bounce until it finally stopped of its own accord.

Uttering a swear, he checked the dashboard and saw that the gas past E. Frustrated he pushed the car door and got out, grabbing his jacket and looked around for a sign of anything. There was nothing but the dirt road and what looked like rice fields to his left and right.

Angrily he kicked the car and started walking into one of the rice fields, noticing a forest ahead. Better to abandon the car in case his father sends people after him.

Half stumbling, half cursing he realized the storm had stopped though it was still dead of the night. Stomping through the darkness, he tread forward, walking through what he thought was the forest, realizing now that it was just a small thicket, coming into an open.

It looked like water up ahead but he was too tired to reason with himself. Spotting a small dock he kept forward thinking there might be a house nearby. Finally he found it, a wooden house from some decades ago, standing on stilts. He stumbled up the steps and laid down when he reached the patio immediately falling into a slumber.

[morning]

“hello, are you dead?”

Shooting up, he simultaneously exhaled and gulped in air, looking around wildly. But whatever it was that woke him was staring in the face. It, or she rather, was standing directly in front of him, hands on her hips looking at inquisitively. Her face was hard to make out in the glaring sun but she had long hair that fell past her shoulders. She was wearing a plain gray t-shirt, too large for her and shorts that fell to the knees.

“Were you prodding me?” he accused, narrowing his eyes at her, trying to get a closer look at her face.

“Yes.” She answered, without a flinch at the expression he was giving her.

“Why?” he asked, feeling his anger surfacing. His head was pounding.

She shrugged and sat down next to him like she was preparing for a casual chat, “to check if you’re dead.”

“And why would I be dead?!” he countered, his voice dripping with sarcasm. He scooted away from her, “maybe you”re dead!”

“no, I’m alive, here pinch me,” she offered with a grin, extending her arm.

Craning his neck, he saw her more clearly. At first, he had thought she was just a kid but he could tell now that she probably wasn’t that much younger than him. The structure of her face was defined, maybe even pretty. She continued smiling at him as if he wasn’t staring her and trying to determine whether or not she was crazy.

“How old are you?” he asked abruptly.

“16. How about you?” she replied without pause.

Ignoring her question, he looked around and asked, “is this your house?”

“No,” she shook her head, “is it yours?”

“What do you mean?” he returned, confused.

“well I don’t live here..that’s why I came by,” she explained, making no sense at all.

“so you’re here because you don’t live here?” he repeated, thinking maybe she really was crazy.

Seeing his confused expression she laughed, “what I mean is that no one’s supposed to live in Eden, well actually the rumor is that this house was abandoned a long time ago and only ghosts live here now so people are usually too scared to venture in here.”

“Except for you I suppose?” he asked, somewhat having his interest piqued.

“Well ghosts will hardly stop me, I mean they’re dead, anyways I wanted to see for myself if there really are any so here I am, but you’re not dead.”

“I think we’ve already established that.”

She giggled again, “you’re funny. I like it.” And with that she got up and started walking around, poking her head into open windows.

He stared after her not sure what to make of the situation so he stood up too.

“So you live here now then?” she asked, casting him a quick side glance.

He thought for a second. Should he tell her the truth? She didn’t look like someone who could cause him harm but she looked naïve enough to accidently let it slip to his father’s people that he was here if they came poking around. No, he thought, best to go along with it and see what happens.

“yeah…” he replied, “I live here now.”

“by yourself?”

“uh..no,” he replied, “with my parents.”

“then where are they?”

“gone.”

“where?”

“uh, to work” they’ve been contracted to work in the city so I’m here by myself for now.”

“oh..” she replied thoughtfully, “how long have you lived here?”

“just moved in a few days ago”

“where’s all your stuff?”

“burned down.”

“so you have nothing left?”

“nothing.”

“ok.” She replied, “how old are you,”

“seventeen.” He replied, exhaling. It was exhausting talking to her.

She took his exhaling for hunger, “are you hungry?”

He was about to say no but realized he was hungry. Nodding he said, “a little.”

“well I don’t have much, my mother and I live nearer to the village. Anyways I”ll go grab something for you, stay here.” And with that she was off before he could utter a protest.

Watching her, he sighed. She was the strangest person he’d ever met. She was different, and yet, he couldn’t keep his eyes off her as she bounced down the stairs through the trees and out of sight.

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
so the house is called eden...hehehe

can't wait for more! :)

cecilia

Staff member
FIANLLY, a story in the countryside.
this is good. i like the start of this.
the way you wrote this is better than i expect.
i thought its' gonna be some city boy and city girl.
but good that you incorporate the country with this.
i'm liking it so far ... rice field, interesting.
for some reason, Aff's character sound very tomboyish to me :p

pls update more . can't wait to read what happen next as the lies continue to be build.

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
02 - Place in Eden

”Aff.”

“what?”he asked, half paying attention and swallowing a spoonful of rice.

“my name” she explained, watching him curiously, “what’s yours?”

“uh...Tik...”He replied, wearily. There was no reason anyone could link that to who he really was. Besides, it was good to just be Tik for once.

“Tik...” she repeated, mulling the name over aloud, “it’s nice.” She looked off wistfully, swinging her legs back and forth over the edge of the dock where they sat. He continued to eat while she watched him and her surroundings.

“So..” he started, talking through another spoonful, “why is this place called Eden?”

She shrugged, the raven strands of hair sliding off her shoulder, “No one really knows. Rumor has it though that a long time ago an American man came to the village and fell in love with a local Thai woman. Her family was poor but too proud to let their youngest marry an American man so he built this house, actually the whole surrounding area from the rice fields to the far edge of the lake is part of the property he named Eden. They were completely different people but fell in love and this is where they spent their summer together when her parents were away. The man had to go into the cities to do business but when he came back her parents had already forced her to marry a Thai man from a few villages away. He was heartbroken and disappeared.”

“Where’d he go?” Tik asked, finding himself somewhat interested by the predictable story.

“No one knows” she replied, lowering her tone to a mysterious whisper, “some say he stayed here and drove himself crazy, eventually dying and coming back to haunt the place....waiting for her....”

“Right.” He replied, not all at believing that part, “so he’s supposed to be the ghost that lives here...but earlier you said ghosts as in plural...”

She shrugged, “Who knows, maybe she died too and came back here to live with him...”

He shook his head, those sorts of things only happen in movies. “sure.”

“what?” she asked, “you don’t believe in ghosts?”

“I do...it’s the other part I don’t believe...”

“what part?”

“the part where love drove them to do all this...to build a house, to live here alone...to go crazy...to die and then to meet again...”

She tilted her head, studying him, “oh. You’re one of those.” She nodded, giving him a condescending look.

“One of those what?” he demanded defensively, furrowing his brows at her.

“One of those cynics who don’t believe in love.”

“Well why should I? As far as I know, it doesn’t exist or if it does, it only exists to be broken...”

“Oh and this comes from your long 17 years of experience I suppose?” she asked, getting up.

“You can joke if you want,” he replied, spying the smile at the corner of her mouth, “but I know it doesn’t exist, at least not for everyone.”

She just stood there for a moment, regarding him with that mischevious sparkle in her eye like she knew something he didn’t. “ok.” She replied, shrugging off handedly. Then she started walking off the deck, back to the house.

“That’s it?” he asked, a little irritated that she just dismissed his argument like he was a child who knew nothing.

“Sure.” She replied, giving a half turn, “I’m not going to try to change your mind, it’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it. Besides I don’t have any experience myself so we’re both at ground zero. Let’s just say we shall see. ”

“I guess...” he replied, unsure of what just happened. It was mind boggling talking to her. Every time he thought he could predict her answer she threw him for a loop and let the argument go. His father would never leave an argument open ended. She really was something else.

“So how did you come to live here?” Aff asked, “I mean you said your house and things burned down but I’m assuming you didn’t just apparate here.”

“apparate?” he asked, confused.

“apparate,” she confirmed, “you know, like Harry Potter, disappear and immediately appear in another place.”

He laughed, “aren’t you too old to be referring to Harry Potter.”

She shrugged and returned to her question, “so how did you come to live here?”

Tik just starred. He’d never seen anyone shrug things off without so much as a care or curiosity. This girl was able to dismiss anything and everything simply by shrugging.

“Uh...I don’t know...” he replied.

“You don’t know?” she asked, arching a brow, “so you really did apparate?”

“no,” he replied, thinking hard, “well...the truth is I ran away...I was just getting tired of it all...I was getting tired of having everything blamed on me...”

“like the fire?” she asked.

“wha--“ and then he stopped himself... “right...that too..”

“so your parents don’t know you’re here?”

He shook his head, “no, they’re in town working like I said...”

“And they’re not looking for you?”

“No, we got in a huge fight, that’s why I came here....”

“And you plan to live here?”

He nodded, “I have nowhere else to go...I didn’t even know this place was abandoned...I just found it and fell asleep..”

“No wonder you don’t know anything about his place...”

He nodded, “You won’t tell anyone would you?”

She shook her head, “No, no one knows who owns this place now so you’re not intruding.”

“Where is this place anyways?”

“We’re a little south of Chiangmai.”

He looked surprised. He didn’t realize he’d gone that far.

“So, you wanna tell me what happened? Why you got in a fight?”

He shook his head, “maybe later.”

She smiled, “ok,”and she proceeded to pull her hair tie out of her hair.

He watched, unsure of himself. He’d just laid his problems bare for her, as much as he could have anyways and she neither replied with inquiry or judgment. And now here he was, watching her comb out her braid in the breeze like he wasn’t even there. It was a sort of intimacy he’d never experience before, watching her come alive in front of him. Entranced, he could not take his gaze off her, the sunlight filtering in behind her fluid motions. She seemed to glow in the afternoon heat, her black hair becoming a soft shade of brown. And then she slid off her shoes and pushed them to the side too.

“What are you doing?” he asked with a bit of panic, momentarily distracted from his train of thought, noticing that she looked like she was undressing.

Her smile sly as she came closer, making the heat rise in his face. He froze, his heart pounding madly in his chest.

“This!” she exclaimed, pushing him into the lake with a loud splash.

Before he knew it he was plunging into the water, cold rushing through him.

Aff laughed, promising herself to remember the surprised expression on his face. But then the bubbles disappeared a while after and he failed to surface, her laughter dying in her throat at the last of the bubbles. Oh no, she thought, what if he can’t swim. She knew nothing about him. She just assumed he could swim or at least float up. Everyone in the country knew how to swim.

Yelling his name she jumped in after him, wadding and pushing around to find him. Finally she caught hold of him and pulled him up, expelling all her strength to push him onto the low dock. She pulled herself up beside his unconscious body and started prodding him in a panic.

She pumped his chest, doing whatever she thought would elicit a response but moments went by without a single movement. Finally she succumbed to the need to do CPR. Just when she was going to bend lower to give him mouth to mouth he sputtered, water splattering everywhere.

“Ow! You’re pumping too hard!”

She moved back, surprised, “you’re alive..” she stated, shock rippling through her.

He grinned weakly, “I think we’ve already established that.”

She smiled back, “I didn’t know you couldn’t swim, I’m sor---”

But before she could finish he grabbed her and threw her over himself into the lake.

Screaming, she floated back up but heard another splash and before she knew it he was swimming over to her.

“you lied!” she sputtered, glaring at him accusingly, “you do swim!”

He grinned playfully, “I never said I didn’t.” He couldn’t help but laugh at her pout and furrowed brows. She looked like a drenched puppy.

“Alright. Truce.” She yelled, laughing along with him.

She swam to the edge and got off the lake, squeezing the water out of her shirt at her side. Feeling his presence come up behind her, she turned around and offered him her hand.

Taking that for granted he reached up his hand to her for assistance.

But before he knew it, she slapped his palm and hollered, “you’re it!”

His eyes widened, not believing she just played that 5 year old trick on him. Scurrying, he ran after her, following her laughter through the yard and past the trees into the open field ahead.

He paused at the edge of the field, “Wait for me!” he called, watching her run around, spinning in circles.

“come get me!”

He stood still, watching her twirl in the distance, her movements bouncing off the sunlight. She looked so happy, so carefree in her own little moment, free from the world. He’d never seen anything more beautiful.

sarN

sarNie Granny
cool! She so playful and i like the story about the america man & thai woman ...like a fairytale ...

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
^i love the Harry Potter part too...apparate...hehehe

great update! more pls...^_^

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
03 - leaving refuge

“isn’t it beautiful?” Aff sighed, her eyes large and sparkling as the vastness of midnight sky reflected like pools in her eyes.

“it is…” Tik replied in a rushed breathe, eyes fixed on the soft planes of her face.

Something was happening. He wasn’t sure what but he knew in his gut that he’d never be the same. She was speaking to him without saying anything, pulling him into her without touching him.

He’d only been there four weeks and he already felt like he knew her his entire life. She was unlike anyone he’d ever known. Her eyes were always alighted with some sort of mischief and her laughter always rang with life, clear and free. It was entrancing. It was dangerous. She was dangerous.

He pounded his chest slightly, feeling a tightness he could not explain while continuing to watch her---just breathe.

There was something about the glimmer in her eye whenever she talked that excited him and something about the way her face lighted up when she laughed that had him yearning for something, something he knew wasn’t his to yearn for.

In the short time they’ve known each other she’d visited every day after working with her mother in the morning market. She also brought him food and kept him company. She was also genuine and completely honest about her life story, the hardships, everything. Every day he felt more guilty that he wasn’t completely honest with her, and everyday he regretted being who he was. He often wished he could just be from this tucked away town, not wealthy, without a predetermined destiny and inheritance but he knew it was impossible.

“Are you ready?” she asked, turning to meet his stare where they laid on the porch of Eden, overlooking the lake and stars.

“ready for what?” Tik asked.

“To tell me about what made you run away...”

Tik exhaled heavily looking away. He didn’t know how to tell her without revealing who he really was.

Slowly, he began, “I got in a fight with my father.”

“About what?”

“About my mother and my stepmother. My mother died of colon cancer two months ago. My father and I were never close because he was always working. I never knew whether or not he really loved me but I always assumed he loved my mother at least and then he immediately remarried after my mother’s death. He remarried a woman much younger than him and, I don’t know...” he paused, not knowing how to continue.

“And it hurt you because you felt like he replaced your mother....” She finished, looking at him. So it’s his step mother and father that are in town working, she thought.

He nodded, “I just always thought he loved her...”

“He did and does,” she replied, “I think your father loved your mother a lot, but he was lonely.”

“But he could’ve waited for a few months at least!” Tik replied, defensively.

“Yes, but some people react to things more rashly than others---like yourself”

“What do you mean?”He asked, turning to face her.

“You’re just like your father, you don’t think before you act. You immediately ran away after your fight not thinking what could happen to you, where you would live, how you would survive. He’s probably the same way. You came here searching to fill a void left by your mother, he married your stepmother for the same reason and he did it just as rashly without thinking of who it would hurt.”

Tik thought pensively about what she said, considering that explanation for the first time. It could be true, but Tik didn’t tell her the whole truth. Aff’s explanation didn’t take into account the fact that his father was wealthy in the billions and his stepmother was 20 years his dad’s junior. That sort of situation played itself out as plain as day.

Aff continued to peer into him, wondering what other demons danced beneath those hurt eyes. She now knew the source of his hurt and anger but still didn’t understand the source of his cyniscim for the world.

“Are you ok?” she asked, tentatively, her voice low and raspy so she wouldn’t wake him from his thoughts.

“I think so...”

“Well I just want you to know...” she began, staring at him intently, “I really enjoyed spending time with you, and I hope we can always be friends but...”

“--but you want me to go..” he finished for her, not sure how he was able to read her train of thought. But he knew it was coming. Aff was just that sort of person, the type to value family and love and obligation above all other. But how could she possibly understand that it was more complicated than that, that there were billions at stake, when it was he himself who couldn’t tell her.

“it’s not that I want you to go,”she quickly corrected, “just the opposite actually, you’ve been a really good friend, listening to all my problems, jumping into the freezing lake with me..(at this she smiled) and in general just dealing with me. Its just, you have unfinished business, wounds left open. I don’t know that you can ever fully enjoy yourself and your life here if you’re still tied to problems in the past.”

He nodded, understanding what she meant. Lately the feeling of unease has been creeping up on him. He knew that he would eventually have to go, if not to return at least somewhere else where he can earn a living instead of living off of Aff and her mother. He just wished he could do something for them first without exposing himself as a liar.

“You’re right.” He agreed, exhaling loudly as if some sort of mental weight had been taken off his shoulder.

Aff nodded, sitting up. She wrapped her arms around her knees , clutching the blanket around her body tighter. “Will you come back?” she whispered, unsure of why she was suddenly feeling like this, this tightness in her chest.

He sat up too and looked directly at her, “yes.” He replied, without thinking, “I will.”

“promise?”

“promise.”

Although it hurt, she knew she couldn’t keep him, “When are you going to leave? And how?” she asked, her question coming out meekly.

“I don’t know” he replied, not having given it a thought. Before tonight he had every intention of staying here but after talking to her, he knew that he couldn’t stay here forever.

“Its ok,” she said, “you have time.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As it turned out, he didn’t have time. Three days later he heard news that made his stomach drop. They were at Aff’s house, her mother in the garden. They were listening to the radio like usual when news came on that made him freeze, his whole body staying rooted to the spot.

“Early this morning we got wind that Mr. Arithip Pholdee, owner of the multibillion dollar textile corporation in Bangkok suffered a heart attack and was sent to the hospital. His young wife was by his side but his son was nowhere in sight. Recently it’s rumored that the young man is studying overseas but we expect him back soon to take care of these matters. If his son doesn’t come back and the situation turns dire, people will wonder where the entire Pholdee inheritance will land.”

“See Tik,” Aff commented, “there are worst problems in the world, at least you’re not having to fight for a billion dollar empire. There’s nothing worse than when people in the same family fight for something so trivial as money...”

He nodded numbly, “right...”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mr. Jeddaseporn?”

“yes.” Tik replied, looking around to see that the hall was deserted. He was making a call at 7 in the morning in the village postal hall, the only place with a phone for miles.

“where are you sir? Have you heard?” Came the hurried reply on the other end.

“yes,” Tik choked into the phone, “I’ve heard, I need you to pick me up, send a chopper from the south, circle around if you have to, I’ll give you my location.”

“yes, sir” Thun replied, enormously relieved that the young man has called at last. They had spent the entire month looking for him, more so in the last few days with the master sick in bed.

“I’m south of Chiangmai, in a small village called Satreera, pick me up in the house by the lake, you should be able to see it, its surrounded by rice fields and as far as I know the only lake for miles.”

Thun nodded, writing it all down, “I’ll be there in two hours.”

“see you then.”

Tik hung up, having dealt with that now he had to deal with how to tell Aff that he would be leaving. She would already be at the market by now with her mother two towns over in the bigger village of Udanin. Picking up his jacket he started sprinting in that direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Tik, dear, what are you doing here?” Aff’s mother asked, surprised to see him.

“morning..” he greeted out of breath, “is Aff around?”

“yes,” she nodded, “here she is now..”

Tik turned in the direction she indicated and saw Aff walking with a armful of vegetables.

“had to wash them.” She explained, letting him take them from her to arrange on the table.

“thanks Tik dear,” her mother said, watching the young man arrange the vegetables.

“an I borrow Aff for a moment khun mae?”

“sure...don’t be long now...”

Tik nodded and took a hold of Aff’s hand, dragging her all the way to the edge of the market where he first entered.

“I just wanted to say something.” He announced quickly in one breath.

“yes?”Aff replied, eyeing him warily.

He paused a second, steadying himself, “thank you.”

“you came all this way to thank me?” she asked teasingly, her face spreading into a wide smile.

He tried to smile in return but found it hard to do, “yes,” he said, “for everything.”

“why now?” she asked, narrowing her brows in suspicion.

“because, I realized I haven’t done it until now--to you and your mother.”

She nodded, “is that it?” she asked, wondering why he seemed so determined.

He nodded, holding back the instinct to tell her something else, something he’s realized for a while now. It would be unkind to promise her something he was unsure of himself.

“that’s it.”

Her smile grew, her eyes reflecting the morning sun, “thank you too..”

“for what? I haven’t done anything.”

“for being a good friend, for everything...”

“you’re welcome..” he replied, “well I know you gotta get back, I don’t want you to get in trouble...”

“yes I should...I’ll see you later then?”

He nodded, holding himself back, “yeah... later...”

He continued watching her, thinking about her. You’d been like a dream, summoned when reality blures and fading when things have just reached their peak...how could I ever forget you?....[/font]

pbv

sarNie Juvenile
04 ““ Time

10 Years

“Mr. Pholdee sir, I ask that you be civil throughout the reading.”

Tik lounged back, staring back at his lawyer with one brow slightly raised, “keep it short then.”

The lawyer nodded grimly and motioned for the doors to open. In walked a woman, back straight, demeanor well known.

“Tik” she greeted, inclining her head. Taking a seat opposite of him, she nodded for the lawyer to continue.

Tik returned her greeting with a glare, his usual way of acknowledging her.

“Still wearing black?” he taunted, his voice a low whisper, “Here I thought a few days would get you back on the designer train.”

She stared at him, not returning his insult, her lips slightly trembling while her fists shook in her lap.

The lawyer looked between the two and shook his head, coughing to get their attention.

“I’ll begin,” the lawyer announced, pulling out a sheet of paper from his suitcase, “The date is May 5th, in the year of 2010. I write and sign this document with full mental comprehension of myself and my whereabouts. On the date of my decease I release all physical and material belongings in the contents of this will on the knowledge that this will is legally binding and indicative of who/whom shall proceed in future possession of my material belongings. The contents of this will shall be released no more than three days following my imminent burial and in the presence of none other than my only son Tik Jessadeporn Pholdee and my legal wife Kim Pinaporn Pholdee. The distribution of my belongings will proceed as follows: of my three accounts at the United Bank of Wimada, all contents within and funds that will come with accumulation of interest shall go to my son; all the 9 estates in my name including the current mansion of residence in Bangkok shall be forthwith changed to the name of my son and done with as he please; all stocks, bonds, mutual funds and investments shall go to my son; and last but not least is the distribution of my companies; The whole of Pholdee corporate goes to my son, the whole of Thinagun Real estate goes to my son, of the eight Textile Manufactoring companies, locations 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 goes to my son.” Here the lawyer paused and looked nervously between the two.

Tik listened intently, surprised and overwhelmed that his father had left what seemed like everything to him. He didn’t bother to spare Kim a glance.

The lawyer continued, “and lastly, location 1, Sky Silk in Chiangmai goes to my wife.”

“No!” Tik interrupted shooting up in his chair, “This can’t be! Sky Silk? Why the hell would he leave Sky Silk to her?”He spat vehemently, pointing at Kim who had yet to react.

The lawyer shrank back, knowing this moment would come, “Mr. Pholdee, please calm down, there is nothing to be done, it’s signed and dated. This is what your father wanted”

“No,” Tik protested angrily again, pacing back in forth, his mind calculating, “She will not have my mother’s silk farm, give her another one, any of them.”

Kim stood up, finally showing some reaction. She straightened herself up and nodded to the lawyer, “Thank you for all you’ve done for my husband.” With that she left without a second glance.

“Look, she doesn’t even care about the silk farm, there must be something I can do!”

The lawyer shook his head, “there’s nothing to be done, this is how your father allocated the companies. You received 98% of everything your father had, this was his parting gift to her.”

Tik shook his head, running his hand through his hair in frustration, “Can’t I give her another one, the biggest one here if she wants, just transfer Sky Silk to me.”

“I can’t do that sir, the only way to do that is if you can convince your stepmother to sign it over to you or sell it to you”

“Then that’s what I’ll do.” He resolved, a look of determination in his eye.

-------------------------------------------

Two months later

“What do you have so far?” Tik asked, speaking into his phone

“she still refuses, I’ve already given her the latest figure, she won’t let it go. But I’ve found something else.”

“Damn it!” Tik cursed, frustrated that after two months there was no progress, “what do you have?”

“well you already know she’s renovated the company and has been hiring up a storm but I think she’s planning something big, expansion, branching out, something…”

“how do you know that?”

“she recently bought property here in town, I’m assuming for an office of some sort.”

“you mean she’s planning to recruit investors to grow my mother’s business?” Tik asked incredulous at the woman’s gall.

“yes, she’s already hired people to work the city slots, a distant relative or something. I think she’ll mainly remain in the Chiangmai offices but she’s hired a niece to manage the Bangkok branch and do the PR”

“who?”

“I don’t know, should be arriving in town soon. From the looks of it, Kim’s serious about expansion.”

“call me when you find out who it is.”

“Will do.”

Tik hung up the phone. Who could it be? He thought, he didn’t remember Kim having a niece but then again he didn’t know much about his step mother other than that she came from a poor family in the north. He had to find out who it was that she brought in to expand HIS mother’s business.

“Mr. Pholdee?” came his secretary on the speaker, “Araya’s downstairs, she’ll meet you at the park for lunch..”

“thanks.” he said, temporarily distracted.

------------------------

“Tik, are you going to the breast cancer charity next week?”

“I don’t know,” he answered, “why?”

“I need to know so I can pick you out a tie to match my dress,” she explained, scooping some rice into his place.

“I’m really busy that week, I’ve got-----” but he suddenly paused, distracted by a figure in the distance.

“what is it?” Araya asked, following his glance.

His heart stopped. It couldn’t be, could it? Was his eyes deceiving him? Could she be in the middle of Bangkok right in front of him after so many years? [/font]