do you know how

Liberty

sarNie Adult
My mom makes everything and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING, Lao/Thai. Anything you can get at a resturant she can make and growing up she made me help her in the kitchen. Emphasis on the "made" I don't like cooking, I'm more of a baker, I like to decorate.

I'm pretty good with Italian though but it wasn't until I moved out on my own that I missed my mom's cooking so I started reteaching myself how to make Lao food.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
When you guys eat Thum Mak Houng. How many freakin chilis do you throw in????

3 is good enough for me. My taste buds set on fire literally.
haha. with my parent's peppers that we grow in the backyard, we don't need to put 3. 2 is already super hott!! With any other kind of pepper, I can tolerate 4 or more.

As for the foods I can cook. that's another haha. Going off to college two years ago made me miss my dad's and mom's cooking so much, I forced myself to learn! I just bought a bunch of ingredients and went cooking in the dorms. Some of the things smelled, but once I got my things done and my friends tried it..they were hooked. Also, my sophemore year in college, I got a roommate who was very picky, but because we got an Apartment, and she lived with two Laos girls, she learned to cope with us and let us do whatever we wanted in the kitchen. She liked my Chinese foods more, than my Laos ones (eggrolls, and stir fry, chow mein). She didn't want to try my chicken wings (i guess it looks gross to her), and my shrimps, or tom yum goong, or sausages.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
How do you guys know it's just hype? How do you know for a fact that MSG doesn't hurt you? Have you do research?

Anyway, my mom uses about 5-6 chilis.

judyp

sarNie Adult
my mom is the best cook! i've always wished to be able to cook as well as she does. oh how i wish i can cook! i can make really good chicken curry. i learned how to make it because its one of my family and bf's favorite dish. other than that, i pretty much suck. every time i try to cook, i have to follow a recipe which i don't like doing. i make really good pasta but that doesn't count for lao food. haha. i can marinate but the outcome is not always perfect. same with stir fry..i know the recipes but sometimes i just overdo it with my ingredients.

and as for the msg issue. i do add msg to my food and so does my mom. but i've always been told to not add too much because it makes your hair fall out. i don't know if this warning is accurate, but it was just something i've been told as a child & have followed it.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Lao people been eating MSG for decades! I have Aunts, Uncles, Gramps, Gradmas that's in their 60s & 70s; and they still alive and kicking, eventhough they eat MSG by the pounds. I agree with Lynda, White people (no offense, haha) get all worked up for nothing. They try to be cautious about this and that, but ironically, they can't stop their kids from beating eachother up over myspace.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Lao people been eating MSG for decades! I have Aunts, Uncles, Gramps, Gradmas that's in their 60s & 70s; and they still alive and kicking, eventhough they eat MSG by the pounds. I agree with Lynda, White people (no offense, haha) get all worked up for nothing. They try to be cautious about this and that, but ironically, they can't stop their kids from beating eachother up over myspace.
I think it's just the bodies ability to adapt. My boyfriend and his family (chinese) avoid anything with MSG because they get horrible headaches if they consume it. Me, I grew up with it so it doesn't faze me. Likewise, I grew up eating spicey food so my boyfriend and Vietnamese friend's idea of spicey is only mild compared to what I consider spicey.

lady0fdarkness

anywho, I love Kao Piek. (both rice and noodles)

In my family, we usually make our pwn noodles from scratched and in addition to the typical scallions and cilantro, we like to add bean sprouts and limes to out bowl of kao piek as garnish.

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
I think it's just the bodies ability to adapt. My boyfriend and his family (chinese) avoid anything with MSG because they get horrible headaches if they consume it. Me, I grew up with it so it doesn't faze me. Likewise, I grew up eating spicey food so my boyfriend and Vietnamese friend's idea of spicey is only mild compared to what I consider spicey.
I grew up with msg in my food. In my early twenties, I got really really sick. Had to go in for a bunch of tests and eventually had surgery. I didn't touch msg after that. Now whenever I go back to visit my parents and eat my mom's cooking that have msg, I feel horrible. I feel faint and have a headache, just feel like I want to pass out. And that's EVERY time, almost immediately after I eat.

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
anywho, I love Kao Piek. (both rice and noodles)

In my family, we usually make our pwn noodles from scratched and in addition to the typical scallions and cilantro, we like to add bean sprouts and limes to out bowl of kao piek as garnish.

I love ka piek too! How do you make the noodles from scratch?? What are the ingredients?

lady0fdarkness

I love ka piek too! How do you make the noodles from scratch?? What are the ingredients?
a bag of tapioca powder and 2 bags of rice powder and hot water. I'm going to have to ask my mother exactly what type of rice powder you need to get. And I'll also ask her for the measurements and process as well. I'll get back to this topic when I got the information.

u00htg2

sarNie Hatchling
a bag of tapioca powder and 2 bags of rice powder and hot water. I'm going to have to ask my mother exactly what type of rice powder you need to get. And I'll also ask her for the measurements and process as well. I'll get back to this topic when I got the information.

Thanks! Can't wait!

Twinky

sarNie Elites
i add a bag of rice flour and a little less than a bag of tapioca flour. i like the chewyness. i add about 3 cups of boiling water. not sure of the water measurement but i try to achieve a DOUGH THAT IS NOT TOO WET OR NOT TO DRY. yum, make me want some now

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
um...pho is not lao food...i think. But anyways everybody i know love to eat pho but i don't. I wonder why?? tum muk hoong sound good in the summer don't you guy think so???
funny, but my dad told me it was Laos food. he told me the vietnamese learned from Laos people. I don't know how that came about. But i wouldn't know the history, so i dunno who to believe.

I was wondering do u guy put msg in your food?? I know recipe online and in the lao or thai cooking book i dont' see no msg.
I put msg in my food. When I cook for my friends, i usually put some on, but i never tell them i do. i somehow manage to get them out of the kitchen. I know some family who puts two scoops of it in their food (not tablespoon scoops, but those ladles) and i think that's gross. but a little bit of it doesn't hurt. other things are harmful to our bodies too, yet many people still do those things...like smoke, drink, etc.