Dog search

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Since I'm moving back to Austin and my parents are moving to OK sometime this year, probably the summer, I'm looking for a dog. I've been wanting a dog for a while but now I'll have plenty of room for one. YESSSS...I plan on getting my dog at a shelter. I've thought about it for years, so NO, I'm not one of those irresponsible people who get a dog and then realize it was too much work so dumps it off on someone else or a shelter. There are tons of shelters that specializes in certain breeds.

One of my pet peeves is when people get pets, especially dogs because they think they're cute as puppies and that their children would love them but then end up dumping it off at a shelter or on someone else because it grew up.

I have a friend who got her children a dog, can't remember what kind it was but it was a fairly large dog, and when it got too big for her to handle she dumped it on her mom. Really ticks me off. She knew what kind of dog it was and that it would eventually grow up, I don't know why she got it to only get rid of it later.

I have another friend who lives in a small place with lots of people and a bunch of little dogs.
She has a husky that was reaching it's fully grown size and she was looking for a new home for it because it was getting crowded at her place.
Too many people, too many pets. Okay, I can understand that. Then...THEN, I see her Christmas pictures up on myspace with, guess what...I NEW PUPPY!!!
*shakes head* They're my friends but sometimes...

Anyway, here are some of my choices and a few thrown in for kicks just because they're cute. :)

Puppy, blue great dane. This is my top pick for a big breed.
Below is what it'll look like as an adult. They're the 2nd tallest breed of dogs.

This is a Great Doodle. Great Dane/ Poodle mix.
Probably one of the funniest mixes I've ever seen. The good thing is since they have a poodle coat they don't shed that much.

This little guy (below) is a Scoodle, or Scottie Doodle.
Scottish terrier and Poodle mix. Pluses on the poodle coat.

My #1 choice for a small/medium breed, Scottish Terrier.
I've always wanted one. The downside: They're prone to a lot of health issues.

My #2 choice for small/medium breed, Schanuzer.
Bonus points because they tend to be pretty healthy. The only big thing to worry about is diabetes.

Westie (West Highland white terrier).
My 3rd choice for small breed.

I'm up for suggestions. Any favorites?

judyp

sarNie Adult
aww. i've always wanted a dog too; a mini french bulldog or a mini pug, but i am wayy to busy to handle one. my in-laws actually has a pug and she is sooo hyper. i hope all pugs aren't like that. lol. but she is cute. i don't even know whether i would get one when im done with school or not because i don't want to abandon the poor dog. its not fair. i know my hubba would take great care of any pet we do buy because thats just how he is with animals, but i want to be able to help, so ill hold it off until i am more capable. :)

anyways, from the ones you posted, i really like the Scottish terrier and Poodle mix and the West Highland white terrier.

jeanie

sarNie Adult
I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you have. How much time and care are you willing to devote to your dog and what personality are you looking for? Before I left for college I had a Pekingese. Really cute, outgoing, and affectionate, but required lots of outdoorsy activity, and it had a lot of hair so grooming was important and it shed a lot. I had a roomie that had a maltese. It was the cutest thing ever but hated being left alone so it barked a lot and that could get annoying.

I think I want a larger dog when I get my own house and stuff. A samoyed, golden retriever or lab.

*Ice*

sarNie Adult
i have a labrador and a patterdale in my place my mom has many mix breeds i think all together in all our houses we must have over 30.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I think it depends on what kind of lifestyle you have. How much time and care are you willing to devote to your dog and what personality are you looking for? Before I left for college I had a Pekingese. Really cute, outgoing, and affectionate, but required lots of outdoorsy activity, and it had a lot of hair so grooming was important and it shed a lot. I had a roomie that had a maltese. It was the cutest thing ever but hated being left alone so it barked a lot and that could get annoying.

I think I want a larger dog when I get my own house and stuff. A samoyed, golden retriever or lab.
I've already figured all of that out, that's why those are my top choices. :)
The strange poodle mix was just for fun. I thought the names were funny.

As I mentioned in the first post. It won't be any time soon but probably during the summer when my parents move and I get the house to myself.
I'll have a two story house ALL to myself and we have a fairly big back yard that has a very high fence so size and exercise when I'm not home won't be a problem.
Grooming for my choices isn't hard as long as it's done once every two weeks and it's just basic stuff. I don't plan on turning my dog into a show dog so they're not going to be high maintence.
I've had pets before so this isn't my first experience with taking care of animals. I grew up with animals all of my life.

hanjieun30

sarNie OldFart
I have a toy poodle... he's quite intelligent and very outgoing...^_^

I think you can have a large dog since you said you have a fairly big back yard... I always wanted a large dog... siberian husky or maybe a chow-chow but our house is not a good environment for a large dog so I'll just stick to toy dogs for now

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I wanted a husky too!
They're kind of hard to find in Texas though, the rescue ones anyway.
I don't want to get my animals from a breeder, mainly because I don't like the idea of animals being breed for sale and the ones that don't go end up in a shelter or on the streets.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
hehe If I could find a scoodle at a shelter or any rescue places I'd get one but they're one of those "designer breeds" and unless someone bred it that way or it happened by accident (which is not very likely) I wouldn't be able to find one. :(
Like I said, I don't want to get my dog from a breeder.

i got my 2 pups from the shelter. they were both in the same kennel and act as sisters... fight sometimes, love each other most of the time.

anywho. i don't see a jack russell terrier as one of your choices. i love them. i used to work at an animal shelter for about a year or so, i think jack russells and dachshunds are the best toy breeds. as for bigger breeds, the chow chow always cracked me up. :lol:

it'll mostly depend on your personality and what personalities you like. did you already try profiling your personality to a pup?

definitely, don't get a pup from a breeder or especially store. it would be another thing if you got one from a family who just can't support all the babies but want to keep the parents. things happen. :huh:

and i treat my pups like they ARE my children. so essentially, they will be your children without the lip. :lol: having pups are a HUGE responsibility. my lab's prior parent left her at the shelter, b/c he was traveling a lot. it took some yrs. for her to actually trust me. she was quite a loner. these pups have feelings. don't do anything to them that you wouldn't want your parents to do to you.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
i got my 2 pups from the shelter. they were both in the same kennel and act as sisters... fight sometimes, love each other most of the time.

anywho. i don't see a jack russell terrier as one of your choices. i love them. i used to work at an animal shelter for about a year or so, i think jack russells and dachshunds are the best toy breeds. as for bigger breeds, the chow chow always cracked me up. :lol:

it'll mostly depend on your personality and what personalities you like. did you already try profiling your personality to a pup?

definitely, don't get a pup from a breeder or especially store. it would be another thing if you got one from a family who just can't support all the babies but want to keep the parents. things happen. :huh:

and i treat my pups like they ARE my children. so essentially, they will be your children without the lip. :lol: having pups are a HUGE responsibility. my lab's prior parent left her at the shelter, b/c he was traveling a lot. it took some yrs. for her to actually trust me. she was quite a loner. these pups have feelings. don't do anything to them that you wouldn't want your parents to do to you.
I know. I use to have a maltese.
He was given to us by a family friend since he was a happy. Sadly he died tragically but at least it was quick.
My dad loved him so much he was so sad when my dog died.

I thought about jack russells because my boyfriend's uncle has two but the problem I have with that breed is that they shed a lot. I mean A LOT.
I spent only a few hours with those dogs and I was practically covered in fur. I have asthma and allergies so that's a no go for me.
My maltese and siamese cat didn't shed anywhere close to that much, they hardly shed at all actually.

Chow Chows are nice dogs but their personality tends to be very dominant which can lead to some problems. That's why my big breed choice was a great dane. Great dane's are known as a the 'gentle giant' because although they're huge in size they're very gentle and sweet.
I was thinking about a St. Bernard too but I think that might be just a little too big for me. ^_^

Dachshunds are on my lists of potential dogs too. I think they're so adorble, even if my boyfriend things they're weird looking.

As for German shepards, well...it's a long story. To sum it up, I didn't have a very good experience with one and so I tend to stay away from that breed.

my jack russell has a rough coat, and she rarely sheds. thank god. :lol: now my lab's another story, but i love her regardless. i totally understand the shedding issue.

chow chow would be a great choice if the pup is your one and only. :lol: they also tend to get possessive and will knock you down when pissed. being around them, for me, actually feels like i'm around cats. great danes are fine. st. bernards too. the ones we had shed a lot though, but i totally love a specific girl we had. she'd cry like she was human. :p and really loud. very smart pups.

since you have cats, i'm thinking we'll like different breeds of dogs. so don't listen to me. :lol:

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
Sigh, as for me.. eventhough I love dogs, I will not be getting one anytime soon. My best friend PrettyBoy died 15 years ago, and I don't think any dog can replace him.

aznteadybear

sarNie Egg
All dogs are cute. I have 8 pit bulls back at home and they are all very civilized they are cute just as any other dog. If you like something small I would probably go with the Scottish Terrier.