Faes and such

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I just finished watching Spiderwick. I didn't realize it was a book.
I noticed there's a lot of movies of this genre coming out, not sure if it's a phase or something to do with this new acceptance that there's more to the world than what science can explain.

I'm obsessed with Celtic myths, lore and culture. Not sure why, it's just one of those things, which peeked my interest in the faes (they play a huge part in Celtic culture, especially in Ireland).
That's not to say that these creatures are only of Celtic origin, in fact there are different creatures that have origins in various parts of Europe.
There are even variations of them in other cultures as well (Asian included).

So....does anyone here believe in such things? Think it's possible?
Have any experiences you want to share?

Do you know of any stories about the Asian variations of these creatures? (I'm not too familiar with the Asian ones, actually I don't know anything about the Asian ones.)

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
LOL omg girl I was thinking the same thing I just watched spiderwick last night and I got all into it lmao... but to answer your questions I only know of a few Asian ones and most of the Asian creatures are known to be created by Voodooists as far as I know and thats in the southeast asian countries anyways... and I guess one famous example would be "Paya Naga" A long snake like serpentine/dragon like creature that is said to live along the mekong river and around the same time every year people flock at different spots to watch it supposedly spit fireball like things out of the river Heres an article about it Click Me

There are other ones but i'll need to think of them haha. you know ive always been obsessed with this stuff along with forensics and different conspiracy theories lol

Liberty

sarNie Adult
LOL omg girl I was thinking the same thing I just watched spiderwick last night and I got all into it lmao... but to answer your questions I only know of a few Asian ones and most of the Asian creatures are known to be created by Voodooists as far as I know and thats in the southeast asian countries anyways... and I guess one famous example would be "Paya Naga" A long snake like serpentine/dragon like creature that is said to live along the mekong river and around the same time every year people flock at different spots to watch it supposedly spit fireball like things out of the river Heres an article about it Click Me

There are other ones but i'll need to think of them haha. you know ive always been obsessed with this stuff along with forensics and different conspiracy theories lol
hehe Good to know I'm not the only one that enjoyed the movie. Of course the faes in my head look more like the sexy elves from Lord of the Ring. :lol: I got that image when I learned about the Tautha De Dannan race (said to be what people consider now as the faes).
I'm so into forensic stuff, love the shows. I've heard about the serpentine thing, my dad use to tell my stories about it when I was little.
The group from Destination Truth even went out to see if they could catch anything but of course they never do (the get interesting noise though), the water was too dark. They did get a good EVP of a haunted temple or something.

annea

sarNie Adult
me 3..also love these stuff..haha..u watch destintion truth too? interesting stuff..is it still on air? about the "fish" that the military caught, is it really Naga? wat u guys think? and did those people who touched/ate it die? heard a lot about it but i dunno..i need to watch spiderwick then..hahaha..

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher

Is this the same kind of creature from the Thai Lakorn "Kasanaka?" I remember a scene where the villagers gathered at the river to watch the fireball come up from underneath the water. Very interesting,,

annea

sarNie Adult
yes ladyofdarkness, its the same creature...my parents believes in these kinda of stuff....im sure a lot of asians does...

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I believe some of it .. but at the same time I have to think logically to you know because sometimes others will feed of your curiosity and it'll be your own downfall. I tend to do my own research every now and then.. right now Im into researching the so called "Giants" they found proof of a few years ago ... and evidence of 7.5 meter long graves for people .. crazy lol ..I watch so much forensic shows I almost actually tried to go into it as a profession lol but then I decided that it would be a bad decision sometimes you can't do what interest you most because then you become obsessed and too obsessed.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
me 3..also love these stuff..haha..u watch destintion truth too? interesting stuff..is it still on air? about the "fish" that the military caught, is it really Naga? wat u guys think? and did those people who touched/ate it die? heard a lot about it but i dunno..i need to watch spiderwick then..hahaha..
I was wondering the same thing because I remember the buzz about it when it first came out in the news. I did some digging after I saw that episode and it turns out it was a hoax. The picture was real but the date and location of the military/navel base was wrong. Someone had changed it up to make it seem real in an attempt to draw in tourist and sell merchandises. One of the military guy in the photo came forward after he saw the photo as a postcard because if the date was correct he'd be in his 50s or something but they guy was only in his 20s.
I looked up the fish that they found and found out what it was, it wasn't the first one of it's kind to be caught. It's an oar fish. They live in very deep water so not much is known about them but they're very long. And yes, Destination Truth is still on, they're just currently in their off season at the moment. I'm not sure when the new season is suppose to start but I can't wait. :) I want them to go to Ireland, Scotland and Transylvania.

I believe some of it .. but at the same time I have to think logically to you know because sometimes others will feed of your curiosity and it'll be your own downfall. I tend to do my own research every now and then.. right now Im into researching the so called "Giants" they found proof of a few years ago ... and evidence of 7.5 meter long graves for people .. crazy lol ..I watch so much forensic shows I almost actually tried to go into it as a profession lol but then I decided that it would be a bad decision sometimes you can't do what interest you most because then you become obsessed and too obsessed.
I heard about that. Back before people understood what dinosaurs were, the people of anicent times would find huge bones and from the way it was layed down (sometimes there were multiple dinosaurs in that area) thought they were dragons or monsters (which I guess isn't that far off) and then with the mammoth bones they thought it was a giant human, a cyclope because of the massive gaping hole in the middle (I think that's where the trunk is). So when anicent people found these bones they'd assume that these "giants" were old heroes from before their time and gave them a proper burial and that's why a lot of the bones are layed out to look like giant humans.
However, one of my best friends is an anthropologist and she said something about the discovery of giant humans as well (and I trust that she knows the difference between human bones and mammoth). It was years ago though. It's possible though, there are many people today who suffer hormone defeats that make them grow really big. I'm talking bigger than Yao Ming. I saw some documentaries done on giantism on the Discovery channel, very interesting stuff. :)

sirena

sarNie Adult
me 5 :D

i dnt know anything abt the celtic but i things like myth and tales and etc interest me alot

plus i love history

but one thing i do believe in(call me crazy if u want) are mermaids

i dnt know, i just.......have this feeling like they are still a round O_O

ive always wanted to see mermaids and ive heard of so much story abt it that my father told me

idk, it just something i believe in

ive stuff on youtube but i dnt know if it true or not

i showed my dad and he said that is it and said that they come in so much different form

lots of story ive heard abt it

KhoOnxNouxWanxJai

Staff member
I was wondering the same thing because I remember the buzz about it when it first came out in the news. I did some digging after I saw that episode and it turns out it was a hoax. The picture was real but the date and location of the military/navel base was wrong. Someone had changed it up to make it seem real in an attempt to draw in tourist and sell merchandises. One of the military guy in the photo came forward after he saw the photo as a postcard because if the date was correct he'd be in his 50s or something but they guy was only in his 20s.
I looked up the fish that they found and found out what it was, it wasn't the first one of it's kind to be caught. It's an oar fish. They live in very deep water so not much is known about them but they're very long. And yes, Destination Truth is still on, they're just currently in their off season at the moment. I'm not sure when the new season is suppose to start but I can't wait. :) I want them to go to Ireland, Scotland and Transylvania.

I heard about that. Back before people understood what dinosaurs were, the people of anicent times would find huge bones and from the way it was layed down (sometimes there were multiple dinosaurs in that area) thought they were dragons or monsters (which I guess isn't that far off) and then with the mammoth bones they thought it was a giant human, a cyclope because of the massive gaping hole in the middle (I think that's where the trunk is). So when anicent people found these bones they'd assume that these "giants" were old heroes from before their time and gave them a proper burial and that's why a lot of the bones are layed out to look like giant humans.
However, one of my best friends is an anthropologist and she said something about the discovery of giant humans as well (and I trust that she knows the difference between human bones and mammoth). It was years ago though. It's possible though, there are many people today who suffer hormone defeats that make them grow really big. I'm talking bigger than Yao Ming. I saw some documentaries done on giantism on the Discovery channel, very interesting stuff. :)

Ahh you know what I actually read about the Europeans who found proof of giants but I never really finished the article and also yeah I remember on learnaddicts.com darvil's documentary site he had a show looking into the life of giant humans >.< to bad learnaddicts isn't working right now also can't forget about the lockness

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I don't think your crazy. ^_^
I kinda believe they exist too. It's a big world and we've yet to discovery half of what's out there, including plant and animal life.
The ocean is even more vastly undiscovered.
There's a little truth (sometimes more) in myths. :)
Lots of mammals, over many centuries of evolution, have moved from living in water to living on land and back.
So it's possible that there could be mermaids out there. Not sure if they'd have fishy tails though, I kind of imagined them more seal like or dolphin tales.
I found a video clip or maybe it was a photo, a year ago on this site run by a man who runs some sort of diving for exotic fish and selling business in Australia. He supposedly got pictures of a mermaid swimming above him.

me 5 :D

i dnt know anything abt the celtic but i things like myth and tales and etc interest me alot

plus i love history

but one thing i do believe in(call me crazy if u want) are mermaids

i dnt know, i just.......have this feeling like they are still a round O_O

ive always wanted to see mermaids and ive heard of so much story abt it that my father told me

idk, it just something i believe in

ive stuff on youtube but i dnt know if it true or not

i showed my dad and he said that is it and said that they come in so much different form

lots of story ive heard abt it

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
I believe in magic, miracles, God, Buddha, angels, and ghosts. And mythical things like mermaids and the lochness monster is very intriguing. Everything is possible in this strange world of ours.

annea

sarNie Adult
I don't think your crazy. ^_^
I kinda believe they exist too. It's a big world and we've yet to discovery half of what's out there, including plant and animal life.
The ocean is even more vastly undiscovered.
There's a little truth (sometimes more) in myths. :)
Lots of mammals, over many centuries of evolution, have moved from living in water to living on land and back.
So it's possible that there could be mermaids out there. Not sure if they'd have fishy tails though, I kind of imagined them more seal like or dolphin tales.
I found a video clip or maybe it was a photo, a year ago on this site run by a man who runs some sort of diving for exotic fish and selling business in Australia. He supposedly got pictures of a mermaid swimming above him.
Destination truth did an episode on mermaids...and in one clip,you can search for the episode in youtube, while some of them were diving looking for signs of the mermaids you can see like something moving/swimming in the background behind one of the divers....the destination truth people said they didnt find anything but if you really pay attention to the clip you'll see wat I'm talking about..I didnt see it at first but someone pointed it out and it freaked me out...hopefully they didnt edit the clip and put the mermaid there..LOL..I'm working right now so I can't access youtube...but if anyones interested, I'll post it when I get home. :D

sirena

sarNie Adult
i wanan see it too :D

im glad u all dnt think im crazy haha i told me ex abt it and hes like o_O ur crazy!!!

but no matter what i believe in it

my father is cambodian, and he told me this story...

and the story was that, when he was really little, the french came into cambodia and took over and stuff blah blah

make the story shorter, one time the french decided to suck the water out of the big lake it call"bary" i think i dnt know how to spell it maybe some of u fimilier with it, it nexts to angkor wat

but yea so they decided to suck the water out of the lake and on that day they drain all the water out and they saw a mermaid sat on the ground and it was wearing gold necklace and etc and was crying so hard

then after that a big thunder storm came so much rain and flood and the next day the lake was fill back up

freaky huh?

my grandmother was still young back then and she still remember cuz she said she was there wen every1 went to see it

sirena

sarNie Adult
also if any of you is cambodian, im half

ask ur parents abt the story of mermaid and see if they'll tell u the same story im abt to tell u

the lengend of the mermaid (according to my dad)

is that (im gonna make the story short)

long ago, there was this snake and it was very dangerous
and 1 day the snake went to a village and ask the village to sen him woman to sacrifice etc

so he choose this girl

and the girl family had, father, mother, and 2 daughter
1 of the daughter is a step daughter

so the step mother was a b#%$ch and send her step daughter to go
then the step daughter got there

and the snake asked, "what r u doin here?"

she said "i dnt know anything my mother send me here"

then the snake said "dig into my throat and see what u will find"

and she did and she got so much gold and jewlery and hen she took it home to show her parents

and the step mother saw that she didnt get eatin

she send her OWN daughter

and the snake was like "wat do want?"
and she like "my mother told me to come to get gold"

but instead of the snake let her dig in his thraot for gold, he swallowed her from her leg up to her waist,

then the snake let her go

it was a magical snake

so then she was embarasse to return home, becuz she had these nasty spit like thiongs from the snake all over her body

she decide to kill her self

she wore this thing i dnt know wat it call in english but it a thing that khmer ppl use to get water and dump it on the self wen they take shower

so she took that, wore it on the head and jump in the water to kill her self

then she became a mermaid

thats the story :]

sorry it long haha

theres a canadian myth abt mermaid also