Favorite Gilmore Girls couple...

raymond_obsessed

Just plain obsessed
I was a huge Dean fan, but then saw how wrong he was for Rory...I get that the guys she dated weren't good enough for her, but he always carried that around him like a dark cloud hovering over him...Didn't really like Jess, cuz I felt that he came in between Dean and Rory...Then came Logan Huntzberger...

His character caught me so off-guard that I totally ignored him...Sorry, I've been rewatching GG seasons 5-7, and have become newly obsessed with this couple. Logan just came into the picture in season 5 as someone that was more closer to Rory's world, coming from a prominent family, attending Yale, and was on the newspaper with her. He went from someone that just annoyed her to someone she was secretly crushing. Going back, I realize how perfect it was for Logan to be in Rory's life after her break-up with Dean...he was exactly what Rory isn't, at times irresponsible, a risk-taker, promiscuous...but he wasn't a bad influence, he was kinda there to show her what she could do, if she wanted to, she still made her own choices. Even with a bad example like that, she still stayed true to who she was, and he didn't try to change her or change for her...I really loved their relationship...It's not like Logan was a total slacker, he had potential, he was talented, he just would rather have fun before he was off to live a life that was predestined for him since the day he was born.

Some of the sweetest, and funniest lines comes from these two. Just a few that pop into my head: "Oh my god, did I just see you smell a book?" "Butt-face miscreant" "You have to tell me why we're committing a felony before we do it, not that that's gonna stop us, but at least we'll have all the facts."

Okay, back to the couple at hand...Logan I guess would be kind of a ladies' man, it's not like he needs to try hard like Fin (even though I thought his accent would help, but I guess it doesn't). Women just are attracted to him, and who would blame them? They often showed him with two girls on each side, and the girls didn't mind, it was kind of known that there was a line to get to him...Then Rory comes into the picture, and for some reason, he's intrigued by her. She's a total dork, but he loves it, and with the way Rory is with her mom in conversations, Logan can hold his own, with the sarcasm and quips, sometimes he's so good that Rory will have nothing to say. In each episode they're shown together, you can see a little bit at a time, how Logan feels about Rory...It's so obvious that Rory already likes the guy, but it's Logan that you have to watch. He knows her really well, and mostly from observing her.

Then, the day of Rory's grandparents' vow renewal ceremony, she decides to take the plunge, after hearing about how her mom initiated her relationship with her dad. I love that she asks him straight out if he's gonna ask her out, saying out loud that he flirts with her, that she thinks he likes her, not being sure of it herself...I love that he calls her Ace, but only uses Rory when he's being serious. He's making it clear to her that she's special, "Like stop eating the paste, special?" Love their lines...telling her that he's no boyfriend...but she tells him she wants the casual thing. Only cuz she likes him that much, she uses the excuse of just breaking up with Dean, the girlfriend kind of girl can never casually date, they always want more, which she does...They don't show Logan's interactions with any of the other women he dates, but it's still different the way he is around her. He goes to see her at her coffee cart, pulling her aside in public so he could kiss her, showing the people around him that she's with him by simple gestures...It's funny, cuz even though it was supposed to be casual, it didn't seem casual, aside from the fact we knew Logan was seeing other women...The way he kisses her, the way he looks at her when she leaves a room...it was cute to watch him fall for her...

The cutest scene was when they started dating for real. Rory goes over to his dorm to tell him she's done with the casual thing, and he thinks she's offering him an ultimatum when she clearly wasn't. You could see him panicking, when he's usually so confident, it was a side of Logan we never saw, because he knew he was losing her, so he had to figure out what to do...Without her even asking, he agrees to be her boyfriend, because he doesn't want to stop seeing her...He defends her around his family, he takes great care of her, and man, every kiss they share is so sweet and steamy at the same time. I loved that he supported her after she decided to take a year off of school, even though the people around her blamed him for it...He was sensitive, trying not talk about the subject in case it upset her. She was the one to say "I love you" first...They had their ups and downs...although, what I hate about Logan, and guys in general, after a break up or whatever, they feel the need to sleep with either the worst women ever or as many as they can...First of all, after their first huge fight, she didn't even know they broke up, he decided it and didn't mention it to her...then when he realized how wrong he was, he came crawling back. He surprised her at her apartment, telling her he made a mistake and that he loved her...renting a whole coffee cart to follow her around because she loves coffee, it was too funny, cuz that caused her to break down with her school psychologist, saying stuff like, "I'm gonna have to give up coffee...I love coffee..." Oh, that scene was hilarious. He even went to Lorelai to have her help him get Rory back, even though he knew she didn't like him or his family, but Lorelai ended up writing a letter to Rory on his behalf, which helped her reconsider. He would wait for her by her coffee cart, knowing she'd be there at least 3 times a day...It was all so sweet...and they finally get back together, and she eventually moves in with him, only because Paris kicked her out of her apartment. They even had to try long-distance because he was in London for a year...oh, the text sex was hilarious and hot...well, hilarious cuz Rory is so innocent, and I see myself in her character...and hot cuz Logan...you'd have to see it...then again, I've always loved the white boys.

There are just too many cute stories or situations to list...but what makes me mad is that they didn't end up together...By the end of the very last season, Logan proposed, and Rory said no...well, she said she wasn't ready for marriage, but she still wanted to be with him, only they'd be miles apart...He got a job in San Francisco, and she was on the Barack Obama campaign trail as a reporter for an online magazine...Logan went from a guy who saw so many different girls it was hard to keep track, to a man that completely and wholeheartedly wanting to settle down. Rory did that, she was the woman that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, after all the women he's seen, met, been with...but she said no to him.

It was the last season, but they couldn't let us fans be happy...they broke up my couple...I hate when writers do that...they did that to me with Veronica Mars too...They created the perfect and cutest couple with Logan and Veronica, and their name was LoVe, which was even more perfect...but by their last season, they broke them up...They let them have this epic love story, but wouldn't let them last til the end...that's so mean...If they do that to my Nathan and Haley on One Tree Hill, I just might swear off American TV shows completely...Funny thing though, all three girls are good girls who fall for bad boys and end up changing them for the better...some more successful than others. I like that possibility...just seeing what love can do to a person...that's not something you get to see all the time...Stupid shows, they're supposed to be my fantasies, or things that happen that people refuse to believe in, but just seeing it on TV means someone believes in it...

That's my theory, as a writer myself...people write what they know, what they believe in...like vampires, ghosts, monsters, etc...it may seem bizaare, but it wouldn't even exist if someone didn't believe that it was out there, in order to write so much about it...We know what's real, we know how life really is, but we refuse to see what life can be like...we refuse to believe in things we don't see...so that's where entertainment comes in...We get to see on the small or big screen what we want to believe...Cynics will always say that the good things we watch aren't real, because reality isn't as great as we hope it would be...But optimists will always know that even if it is a story, a movie, a song...those good things wouldn't be shown or heard if at least one person didn't believe that it existed...It's like seeing the power of love, what people would do for love, changing or sacrificing, it's easier to take in from characters on a screen than to believe that it's possible for yourself...All I'm saying is that, there aren't many good things for us to see in life, so if there is a good movie or show, try not to see it as that...See it as hope, something to hold on to...That stuff shouldn't have to be so real, we all know how real life can be, we don't need constant reminders...What we need are more things to lift up our spirits, even if it is something someone wrote down, if it gives us hope for something, we should hold on to it while we can...

Man...all that from some people breaking up my favorite on-screen couple.