HELP

hias0701

sarNie Egg
Hey can someone who can read Hmong translate this for me. I went to Laos this past winter and met a friend out at the Lao University. He wrote to me via email but I can't read or write in Hmong.

Thank you...

nyob zoo os nkauj hmoob tus neeg zoo nkauj tau ntev no lawm kawm ntawv li ca lawm os ....? pua tseem kawm tau zoo thiab na? ua li hnub no kaj ntug tag ki yuam mus ua sis dhov twg. ntawm no nw yog kuv thawj tsa ntawv saub tuaj rau koj vam tias koj yuav tsi xav li ca o Zoua ab koj puas nco thaum nej lo haum laos no lawm na lov, kuv zoo siab tau pom koj thiab tau paub koj tab si tsuaj ib qho vim tsis tau nrog koj tham ntej xwb.
yog tias kuv tsab ntawv no tuaj txog koj no qhias kuv naw.
rau npe ib tug phooj ywg ua koj tau nri nyob haum University of lao. hu ua tooj vwj.

starryXing*

sarNie Adult
Hey can someone who can read Hmong translate this for me. I went to Laos this past winter and met a friend out at the Lao University. He wrote to me via email but I can't read or write in Hmong.

Thank you...

nyob zoo os nkauj hmoob tus neeg zoo nkauj tau ntev no lawm kawm ntawv li ca lawm os ....? pua tseem kawm tau zoo thiab na? ua li hnub no kaj ntug tag ki yuam mus ua sis dhov twg. ntawm no nw yog kuv thawj tsa ntawv saub tuaj rau koj vam tias koj yuav tsi xav li ca o Zoua ab koj puas nco thaum nej lo haum laos no lawm na lov, kuv zoo siab tau pom koj thiab tau paub koj tab si tsuaj ib qho vim tsis tau nrog koj tham ntej xwb.
yog tias kuv tsab ntawv no tuaj txog koj no qhias kuv naw.
rau npe ib tug phooj ywg ua koj tau nri nyob haum University of lao. hu ua tooj vwj.

Hmm... I can't write hmong too well, but I can read it just fine. Here's my translation of what your pal wrote:

Hello beautiful hmong girl. It's been a while since we've met, how have you been? Are you still doing well in school/your studies? Where will you go to have fun tomorrow? This is my first letter I'm writing to you, I hope you won't mind it too much. Zoua, do you still remember the time when you came to Laos? I'm so happy to have met you and helped you out, but I'm saddened I didn't have much time to chat with you.
If this letter gets to you, please let me know (I'm assuming he's asking you to write him back).

Signed, a friend whom you met in the University of Laos, Tooj Vwj (I guess you could say english spelling Tong Vue)

LOL... he speaks like the hmong guys in the movies-- so formal/descriptive/sweet talking language.
Like when he mentions, what are you doing tomorrow? he says: "hnub no kaj ntug tag ki" (literal translation: when today passes into tomorrow morning) when I'd normally just use: "tag kis" (tomorrow)." ^_^

I'm also assuming when he says: dhov twg above, he really means qhov twg (means: where)

margaretthao4

sarNie Adult
wow this makes me want to have a hmong pen pal...just so i can better my hmong writing.
his hmong is very formal....lmao like starry said i would have just said tag kis hahaha.
hmmm i think i'm going to make a thread about this hmong pen pal idea hahaha.
good luck with your friend...if you need any help translating or writing i'm here lol.

hias0701

sarNie Egg
Hmm... I can't write hmong too well, but I can read it just fine. Here's my translation of what your pal wrote:

Hello beautiful hmong girl. It's been a while since we've met, how have you been? Are you still doing well in school/your studies? Where will you go to have fun tomorrow? This is my first letter I'm writing to you, I hope you won't mind it too much. Zoua, do you still remember the time when you came to Laos? I'm so happy to have met you and helped you out, but I'm saddened I didn't have much time to chat with you.
If this letter gets to you, please let me know (I'm assuming he's asking you to write him back).

Signed, a friend whom you met in the University of Laos, Tooj Vwj (I guess you could say english spelling Tong Vue)

LOL... he speaks like the hmong guys in the movies-- so formal/descriptive/sweet talking language.
Like when he mentions, what are you doing tomorrow? he says: "hnub no kaj ntug tag ki" (literal translation: when today passes into tomorrow morning) when I'd normally just use: "tag kis" (tomorrow)." ^_^

I'm also assuming when he says: dhov twg above, he really means qhov twg (means: where)

Starryxing,

Thanks so much for translating for me.. I don't know I wish he would try to write in English. He's a 4th year English student. Oh well again thank you so much.. Will probably need your help again..

hias0701

sarNie Egg
wow this makes me want to have a hmong pen pal...just so i can better my hmong writing.
his hmong is very formal....lmao like starry said i would have just said tag kis hahaha.
hmmm i think i'm going to make a thread about this hmong pen pal idea hahaha.
good luck with your friend...if you need any help translating or writing i'm here lol.
Thank you..thank you for the offer because I will probably take you up on it.. I need to go learn how to read and write it myself. Hey do you mind shooting me your email so I can privately forward my emails to you in the future so it doesn't have to be so public? Also how do you even go about learning how to read and write in Hmong??? Any suggestions?

Thanks again..

margaretthao4

sarNie Adult
Thank you..thank you for the offer because I will probably take you up on it.. I need to go learn how to read and write it myself. Hey do you mind shooting me your email so I can privately forward my emails to you in the future so it doesn't have to be so public? Also how do you even go about learning how to read and write in Hmong??? Any suggestions?

Thanks again..
ouhhh its no problem..i'll mssg you my e-mail addy. ^_^

aikoden

♥DREAMER♥
Staff member
wow.. indeed.. he writes so formally hehe.. lol.. i wouldve just write tag kis as well.. lol..

tearsofautumn

sarNie Hatchling
Awe...so cute..!! I would love to have a Hmong Pen Pal too. I cant read or write Hmong that good...wish i could do more than just speak it :D

Does anyone know where we can find a pen pal or something related to it..?? Im j/w

Fearless

sarNie Adult

I think he said "I'm happy to have met you and know you" instead of "I'm happy to have met you and help you" ^_^

kazz143

sarNie Juvenile

Thanks again..
hey hmong is quite easy to learn.....to read u jux gotta pronounce the words....i started learning by writing letters to friends....den later i found out dere was the "niam ntawm"- mother letter or letters or group of letters that start a hmong word. if u want more info i can give u the niam ntawm......of the so call hmong alphabet