Help

fun

Expired Sarnie
I'm a super lazy person, I don't have time to go out and look for people to interview although I can BS the whole thing. I'm not going to do that this semester. But I thought of another way. It's like I'm sort of doing the work but I'm really not lol

By the way, can we have a Homework thread lol

Here's my assignment. Pretend that I'm there with you and asking you the questions below.

DIFFERENT PERCEPTIONS OF U.S. SOCIETY

The United States has obviously been through some major changes and sometimes disturbing experiences since the turn of the century. World Wars I and II, Vietnam, the fight for civil rights, the women's movement, the AIDS crisis and our conflict with the Middle East are all examples of prominent events in the last seventy-five years of U.S. history. But how do different cultural groups experience and understand such critical events? How do African-Americans who experienced the turbulent 60s as young adults perceive and make sense of the war in Vietnam? How do women in their 70s and 80s understand the struggle for equal rights waged by feminists two decades ago? How has the AIDS crisis affected lesbians in the United States? How do Muslim Americans cope with the negative stereotypes toward Muslims since September 11, 2001?

The answers to these questions are often based on how a given community perceives, experiences, and learns about pivotal national events. This exercise asks you to find out how different groups describe U.S. society, the changes that they have seen take place during their lifetimes, and what they believe is in store for their communities in the years ahead. This exercise is based on the belief that until we understand how people who are different from us perceive the world, we cannot hope to develop meaningful relationships with them.

Invite two or more acquaintances or friends who are from different cultural or co-cultural backgrounds to talk with you. These individuals might be chosen based on differences of ethnicity, race, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, or physical ability. Talk with these people about how they see the world, their values, aspirations, and opinions of where the United States has been and where it is going. Ask them about the major events mentioned above, what they know and how they feel about each one. (Additional questions are provided below.) With the permission of your informants, consider taping these conversations so that you have an accurate account of what they shared. After these interviews, consider the questions provided on the next page and be ready to share your information and perceptions with your classmates.

Interview Questions

1. What is your opinion of U.S. society today?

2. Do you think interactions among culturally different people have increased? Become more positive? More troubling?

3. Have changes taken place in the U.S. that you are satisfied with? Changes that frustrate or anger you?

4. What changes would you like to see take place in the next decade?

5. What is your perception of the status and treatment of women, the disabled, members of the gay community, people of color, and the dominant white male culture in the United States?

6. Do you believe that your feelings are shared by most members of your culture/community?

darvil

sarNie Adult
Fun you lazy bum.. This is whats going wrong with the US society today!.. dang kids are so spoiled and take the shortcut.. haha
Now to humor you and answer the questions. BTW if you need this info.. I'm a SE Asian male getting close to 30 year of age who grew up in SE Asia and have been living in the US the past 10 years.

Interview Questions

The new generation of kids are too self absorbed and lack the inspiration or the will to do anything difficult. This isn't good for the economic future of the US.

2. Do you think interactions among culturally different people have increased? Become more positive? More troubling?
I believe the interactions have increased by alot. I think this has to do with modern technological breakthroughs like the internet. I cannot be sure all these interactions will be for the better but I do have a strong faith in multicultural salad society so I'm more positive about the future then negative.

3. Have changes taken place in the U.S. that you are satisfied with? Changes that frustrate or anger you?
The symbolism of the last election was a big deal to me. But seeing the US economy wilting is troubling because things could very well be disastrous for race relations in the US when the blame game starts.

Focus on future investment in technology and science. Revamp health care in the US. Bring back spanking. Clean out congress. Basically almost everything that is almost impossible to accomplish (but not impossible).

5. What is your perception of the status and treatment of women, the disabled, members of the gay community, people of color, and the dominant white male culture in the United States?
To be honest, I actually think that things are moving toward the better scenario for the mentioned groups. I think the dominant white male culture is on the decline in the US (but not remotely close outside the US). I think the snowball is rolling down faster and changes will naturally happens in the future for the better as long as we don't fall into an economic chaos.

6. Do you believe that your feelings are shared by most members of your culture/community?
No, I don't think so. At least on the economic fear. I think most people are essentially satisfied with a decent meal, some funny tv programs and a shack to sleep in. They probably share my belief on the rest.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Thanks Darv, I appreciate your help.

Health care is such a big issue. I love how people wants other to have access to health care, but in actuality, no one is willing to give up a bucks or two.

ChenrukNote

Goddess
That we're concerned about our public image but not doing enough to change the world's negative perception about us. We also rely too much on media for information without really doing our own research to see if the BS the media tells us is even half true. And we are definitely getting too fat! And we are a bit snobbish.

Yes. Same reason as Darv. Internet makes the world a bit smaller and scarier.

Satisfied: Suffrage for women & African Americans
Frustrate: how a college education is preached but resources to attain a college degree are cut, or why is drinking age set at 21 when we can buy cigs at 18, enlist at 18, or even do things w/o parental consent at 18? And trade deficits and outsourcing. Everything is freaken 'Made in China' nowadays. Or our fruits are from Chile, Ecuador, or Peru. What happened to 'Product of USA'? And why are we not on the metric system like the rest of the world? I do really hate converting lbs to kgs when asked by an international student. Shit I don't even remember how to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius.

More serious investments in education (directly aiming this at CA governors!!!), a better foreign policy, renewable energy, and obesity to not be a health epidemic

Women are treated better today than they were ages ago but not on the same status as men (and probably never will be until I'm long decomposed in my coffin lol), the disabled are being provided with help and are better understood today but you still see people frowning at the disabled in public places. The members of the gay community should receive more understanding and I think there is a possibility for that but then there are still going to be people that oppose the gay community (there was a vandalism on the school campus of UC Davis in the past year), people of color are receiving more better treatment but sterotypes and prejudice still exists (such as racial tension at UC San Diego), and the dominant white male culture-I think they still exist in the Southern states. Bottom line is it's hard to persuade someone to change their mindset about various issues.

Probably by my community. Definitely not by my culture.

Oh yeah I'm a female, younger than Darv, SE Asian nationality, but raised in CA since 9 months old.

fun

Expired Sarnie
Thanks Nai. You're participation/help is greatly appreciated. You're hilarious, I too, hate the metric system, especially when I'm ordering clothes online outside the States. When people complain about an Asian celebrities weight, I'm usually have to do a conversion because I don't have a clue of how heavy or light one person is without using it in pounds.

PS, just for future reference, I should have mentioned this in the beginning, but I don't want this become a hate thread. Please respect others' opinions, because we all perceived the world differently. If you disagree with one person, then do it in a nice way. We are here not to judge but give our insight of how we see this world. Please keep an open-mind.