" How does one translate this into English?"

slee00

sarNie Adult
Recently, one of my friend who works as an interpretor for AT&T Language line for the Hmong. She ran into a case which I thought was really funny. Anyway, there was this married Hmong man who was a player and he would got up real ealy to go see his girlfriend...so one morning he took his wife's Lexus and drove to his GF's house. On the way there, he run ino a deer and his Lexus was damaged and he was hurt. So here was the case. He told my friend to tell the doctor that " kuv tsav tsav kuv tsheb zoo zoo xwb es niag deer cia li dhiag los ntawm freeway lis. Nhiag deer ntawd tsi zam kuv lis na" My sister was lost for words....how in the world would one translate this!!!

Reply with your own translation please!

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
"I'm driving and minding my own damn business and that deer just jumped onto the freeway. That damn deer wouldn't yield to me at all"

mly

sarNie Hatchling
"The deer ran out of nowhere and I (he) hit him." You don't have to find every English word for every Hmong word, because it will be impossible.

mongstaness

sarNie Adult
actually its kinda like "i was just driving and then a deer just jumped out in front of me. that deer didn't yield to me at all"

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
lolz...hahahaaaaa.... if i was ever to translate this n hmong.. like everyone said "i was driving & a deer jumped in front of me & blah blah blah..."

i would laughed & translate at the same time...hecka funny. hahaha..

good one. :)

myyang

sarNie Juvenile
"I'm driving and minding my own damn business and that deer just jumped onto the freeway. That damn deer wouldn't yield to me at all"
that's a good translation! perhaps you should become a hmong translator??!!? :p

slee00

sarNie Adult
actually its kinda like "i was just driving and then a deer just jumped out in front of me. that deer didn't yield to me at all"

Monstanes, you are right on!

When you become a translator, you must translate exactly...word for word or it could cause a legal issue later on!

Good one though!

mainhiathao

sarNie Granny
what if they say something like "the deer came to attack my car"...?......"i didn't hit the deer the deer hit me..." i don't know...?.....

sweetie_tracey

sarNie Hatchling
what if they say something like "the deer came to attack my car"...?......"i didn't hit the deer the deer hit me..." i don't know...?.....

Stupid, what are talking about. To be funny, this is what I would say:

"I was driving my car nicely and the deer jump in front of me on the freeway. The deer wouldn't excuse me at all. Huh!!!" LOL

You guys are right, I translate and its weird translating Hmong to English. All the parents always have a big story to say.

cecilia

Staff member
this is too funny .. but i would do the same thing, as an interpreter, your job is to just say word to word to the best that you can to describe the case.

^yup, this is how i would say to the officer minus the 'damn' part .. you're good .. should try out for interpreter work.

or like this : sweetie_tracey would say :
"I was driving my car nicely and the deer jump in front of me on the freeway. The deer wouldn't excuse me at all. Huh!!!"
maybe use 'the deer wouldn't move aside at all for me.'

traci_vaj

sarNie Egg
SHOOT...I think I've been put in worst situation in translation. I help tutor the new Hmong arrivals from Thailand at the local college, while I'm taking breaks from class. One day, I was helping the ladies and men with their homework, this guy asked me how to translate AC in Hmong. I'll tell you, my mind went blank and I was like, "Uhh uhhh..." But eventually, I found the word for it, soon after. Then, one of the tutor coordinator asked if I would go and ask this guy if he bought his workbooks for the next level yet cause he needs the workbook to complete his homework. So, being me, I walk up to him with the coordinator behind me, I asked if he purchase the workbook yet. And you would never believe what he said to me.

"Koj hais rau nws hais tias lub hli no kuv tsis muaj nyiaj. Kom nws tos vas thib ib kuv li nyiaj buffet tuaj kuv mam li mus yuav (Tell her that I don't have any money this month. Tell her that on the first of the month when I get my welfare (buffet) check I'll go get it)." Okay, so my first reaction was, "I'm telling her what?" I thought to myself while silently giggling. But instead, I just told her that he didn't have the funds to purchase the books right now and if she would just run copies for him until he was able too. She gave me a weird look and smiled, "What were you guys talking about buffet?" I started laughing and told her that it was nothing and it sure has nothing to do with food. She just nodded her head and walked off. I tell you, I walked out of the room laughing to myself.