Immigration to the US

princess87

sarNie Egg
Well, I have some relatives from my mom's side in Laos and they really want to come to the US really badly. Lately, since my sisters and I are done with college and are just getting started with our jobs, they've been calling now and then, asking if one of us could help them out. As in, pretend marriage.

My mom says that it's up to us whether we choose to do it or not. I'm very skeptical about it. I want to help them come to the US, but just not through marriage. I also want to find other ways in order for one of them to come. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure of how the process goes to bring someone from Laos to here. I have absolutely no idea on what steps need to be taken. Anybody have any experience with this and knows a bit about this? Also, I've heard that some people have been caught before for pretend marriage. I just want to know the necessary precautions before I actually decide to do this.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Hmm, I don't think you should do it because you'll be stuck with the person for at least 5 years. The government often checks up on you too. That's what someone I know is doing now. If you think you can handle staying with someone for that long...and not loving them? Why sacrifice yourself?

Perhaps your mom can get her U.S. citizenship and she can bring her siblings to the US and their family (if your cousins aren't married then they can come to the U.S. with their parents)

Also, they can probably come for school. But, they would have to have money in their bank account and show that they can afford the trip to the U.S.

bee4615

sarNie Egg
Well, I have some relatives from my mom's side in Laos and they really want to come to the US really badly. Lately, since my sisters and I are done with college and are just getting started with our jobs, they've been calling now and then, asking if one of us could help them out. As in, pretend marriage.

My mom says that it's up to us whether we choose to do it or not. I'm very skeptical about it. I want to help them come to the US, but just not through marriage. I also want to find other ways in order for one of them to come. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure of how the process goes to bring someone from Laos to here. I have absolutely no idea on what steps need to be taken. Anybody have any experience with this and knows a bit about this? Also, I've heard that some people have been caught before for pretend marriage. I just want to know the necessary precautions before I actually decide to do this.
I have a couple family members who has come from Laos...we had my husbands mom came to live with us...on the ppwk we had it that she will be staying for 3 months but once she is here they can apply for their permanent resident to stay permanently. To do it this way you need to have a some money at least $10,000 in your bank account and have a stable job.

I also have a cousin who did the fake marriage thing and it's not going too well for him as the person whom he fake married is now married to another person and the government does check up on you. So definitely don't go this route if you are planning to marry in the next 5-8 years.

kulyia

RUK
omg dont do it honey! its risky!! im already scared for you :\ im those type of people that are not risk takers obviously.. but if you do do it, BECAREFUL. and if they come, you have the right to tell em stuff. you better keep an eye on them

YM_gurl

sarNie Oldmaid
Don't do it.
i know you want to help them but marrying them is not the best option.
if you want to help, just send them money. don't marry them.

btw i heard stories of people who have lied. you can end up in jail.

mokka

sarNie Adult
As much as you want your cousin to come... DON'T DO IT... It's not worth it... take the route that have them come to the US and then apply for permanent residence or try to see if they will marry someone in the US...

Did the government change the year to 5 years? I thought it was only two?

princess87

sarNie Egg
Thanks for all the feedback. My cousins in Laos believe that marriage is the only way they'll get to come to the US. We've tried to explain to them that one of them should come to the US and we'll pay for the plane ticket. And then, when he gets here, we'll apply for permanent residency, but they flat out reject the idea, saying it's not going to work. I don't know what else to do. But yeah, I don't plan on doing the whole fake marriage thing if it lasts for 5 years. That's just too long.

cecilia

Staff member
^don't do it .. it's risky and it involves lots of paper works -- on top of that MONEY as well (my cousin once ask me to do this for her brother in law b/c her husband keeps on insisting it -- they're willing to put the money into my account just so their bro can come here -- they also say that if the bro come here and we don't like each other, it's alright for us to go our separate way. However, i couldn't do bring myself to do it so i keep telling them that i have one too many things to worry about now and that i'm unstable with my career and education, i'm not ready to do anything to help them. Thank god it works on them -- let's hope it won't wear off soon)

ANyway, best advice is the whole marriage thing is too risky -- you best route is that if one of your family member fall ill -- it's 100% guarantee that the relatives oversea will be able to come here (b/c my aunt and uncle are back to visit again -- it's their 2nd time here - all b/c my dad's having some physical illness)

ddawbb

sarNie Adult
Well, as I heard my father in law talk .... you should only do it if you feel that the person you are "marrying" has a chance to really become your husband/wife...
as in any real marriage, a fake marriage is still going to be considered a "marriage" so you should really consider it as something real and not games.

<3Rey

sarNie Egg
Wow. Like seriously. I wouldn't. That's just....CRAZYY! Lol.
Fake marriage?? Think twice before you start processing.

That's just too risky. My brother in law's older brother F_____ did that. But, it's a little
different story from yours. He was forced by his parents to do a faked marriage to a Thailand girl for his OLDERRR brother that
got divorced twice. After she came to US, did the Hmong wedding and everything.
His parents told his OLDERR BRO & Thailand girl not to have any kids yet til after
divorce. But, the Thailand girl already had his OLDERRR BRO's kid. 5-6 yrs from
now after divorce, F____ will have to pay child's support. Not even his kid. How sad. I'd be pissed as fcuk! F___ is still pretty
young. His life is already messed up because his parents only cared about his OLDERR BRO. No wonder everybody call F___'s
OLDERRR BRO 'GOD' and his baby son 'GOD ALI'. He always gets what he wants.

I know this has nothing to do w/ you but yeah. Thought I'd share it here. Lol.
So, THINK THINK THINK before you do something like this, OKAYY! Kekek~ ^^

miss_kayomee

sarNie Egg
you really shouldn't do it unless you really want to marry him. my mom asked me to do the same thing to my cousin in laos also, i told her no because what if one day i wanted to get marry i didn't want to have to go through the trouble of all the paperwork and phone calls. i'm sure there are other ways to get them here.

candi

sarNie Juvenile
one of my cousin had been bothering me non stop to married him so he can come to the US and he say he will stay married to me. i've turned him down a few times and he's now bothering my little sister who just turned 18...crazy hmong people!

like everyone say, dont do it. there is a chance he might not want to divorce you afterward.

vanggirlie

sarNie Egg
my aunts and my mom wanted me to marry my cousin in laos so he can come to america too. altho there was no pressure on us tho. they said that if we liked each other then we can but if we didn't then it's ok. my mom and i actually went to laos. my mom and i really just went as a vacation and to see her bro which she hasn't seen in a while. well my cousin and i met and no sparks. his parents still wants us to marry but we just can't. i don't know why but when we met, it was like we had bro-sis feelings for each other. hahaha, luckily i lucked out.

ya, but i met another guy there. guess i'm still stuck then.

nancyvang

sarNie Adult
I'm glad I'm not the only one here. I've been ask my my parents and my grandma a couple of times about marring a relative to get them to the USA, but I always decline their offer. It's really my life and who I choose to live my life with, it's not the elders choice. I don't let others use me for their personal gain as well, it's plain selfish on their part. There's other ways to come to America, don't drag another person down with you just because you wanted to take the easy way out.