INTRO TO PHILOSOPHY

hey sarnies... Can anyone please, begging on my knees, help me understand Philosophy. I am trying my best but I am JUST NOT GETTING IT. Is there some kind of way to learn this and better under stand the subject. We are talking about ethics and beliefs at the moment. I am soooo STUMPED...

anan

sarNie Adult
hey sarnies... Can anyone please, begging on my knees, help me understand Philosophy. I am trying my best but I am JUST NOT GETTING IT. Is there some kind of way to learn this and better under stand the subject. We are talking about ethics and beliefs at the moment. I am soooo STUMPED...
LOL...

Philosophy is not an easy subject/class.
It's the Love of Wisdom. A long adventure of human thoughts & concepts related to our existence, whatever it is about Love, Beauty, Life, Death, Intelligence, Art, Happiness, Knowledge, the Truth etc...

Through different "Popular" Philosophers, you will learn new concept.... their concepts or perceptions of the world (you have the right to agree or not), but bear in mind that the question that you probably ask yourself, hundreds/thousands years back, there were already ppl. who tried to answer...

The most important about Philosophy is the Questions. Never stop questioning about things around you. Have fresh eyes & an open mind to everything...

There is only 1 book that I want to recommend is: Sophie's World: A Novel About the History of Philosophy, by Jostein Gaarder
A very, very good book, I read it 15 years ago...
It was a Best-seller book. You should read it, and hope u will like it too ;)
or if you are too lazy to read, there is also an audio tape version... which is good too.

G'luck ;)

CTR

The Realist guy here period
Either you like Philosophy or you don't. Philosophy is the quest for ultimate knowledge or the hidden knowledge. It is the questioning of everything. It's a hard subject to explain since it requires one to examine the inner working of the human conscience. My best advice is to join or go to a Philosophy forum and ask those people about what a particular philosophers or what ethics and beliefs are.

anan

sarNie Adult
so... To my understanding... It's all about doubts and questions... Does family upbringing a different thing?
To some extends, yes.
If if you dig more... there are many degrees/levels of "doubt":
Doubt as a failure, for instance with scepticism... where ppl. are not sure about any things, and unable to pick the right choice etc...
Doubt as a possibility/progress/probability in science etc...

Family just gives you the basic rule to survive: an education, a roof, foods, and money probably, to finally let you fly by your own wings...
The most important part of life, you gonna learn by yourself: Love, Friendship, Work, new subjects you learn at school and so on...

Question, Doubt but always look for the answers whatever it's from your own experience or from school/books etc...

anan

sarNie Adult
thanks everyone.... Hopefully I survive... Eek...
I took this pic last week during my little city exploration....
It is a typical parisian cafe style and they named it as "The Philosophers" ;)

So, if you stuck with phisolophical question, try to imagine yourself there... having a good cup of hot chocolate ^_^ 'cos you are with the Philosophers...