Job help

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Okay, I don't know how many people can relate but my parents were immigrants. I said were because they're citizens now and have been since I was 10 years old (I was born in the states).
Anyway, my dad has no problem finding work because he has people skills, he can read and write in English and speaks it fairly well. He has had some educaction. My mom on the other hand is tough to find work for. Before my parents moved to Austin they worked for themselves because we lived on the coast where everyone was pretty much a fishermen (we had our own boat) and made good money.
My mom is usually good at studying because she manage to learn English and pass her citizenship test on her own because she had the drive for it. She kept up with her English lessons for a while but stopped because gossipy Laotian women (who were suppose to be her friends) so my mom stopped. My mom is a sensitive person. The gossip thing is a big part of why my dad would never move anywhere or live in a neighborhood of more than one Laotian household, we always lived among white surburban (it's just easier to ignore your neighbors that way if you don't like them).
Anyway, that was over ten years ago and since my mom never kept up with her English lessons all that she learned gradually faded away. She has absolutely no school, not even from Laos. She was raised by her grandmother because her parents were always moving around (something to do with my grandpa's job) and eventually came to the US. She didn't go to school so she could work the family field and support her siblings (which were A LOT). She pretty much sacrificed everything for her family.
Okay, sorry I'm straying.
Anywho. My mom currently works as a cook at this Thai resturant but the ladies she works with tend to pick on her, not sure why. My mom is not a confrontational person, she's very passive (I wish she was more aggressive and would stick up for herself) and kind of meek. They gossip and talk all sorts of BS like she can't hear them but she doesn't say anything. I hear about it because she tells my dad about it and my dad tells me about it. Now, I've met these ladies so I know my mom isn't exaggerating. I was there one day to work (because I guess one of the owners wanted me to try it out) and the old lady who was training me to waitress (something I've never done before) was so impatient. She kept saying over and over (at least 20 times) that there's no room for another waitress, there's plenty of people and not enough money. I didn't say anything (didn't want to cause my mom trouble) but was thinking "Shut up already, I heard you the first 10 times!" The old lady acted like I was trying to steal money and their job or something. Geez. I was only there for the day though, I didn't care for the job I just wanted to see for myself how these ladies really are. From what my mom told me I just assumed they'd be younger but these were grown women my mom's age and older. Yet they gossip and bullied like immature high school girls. Everyone (except my mom) working there is Thai. That lady kept bitching to the other workers (two other guys, waiters) about how slow I was working blah blah blah. She was speaking Thai to them like I couldn't understand (not sure if she knew I could understand or not because I spoke mostly English to my mom). The guys were telling her in Thai to calm down because I was still new to this, it was only my first day afterall.

Urgh. Okay, straying again, sorry. My mom works there still but my dad wants me to find her another job because one of the owners is bitching at her about something. I think it's a new owner because my dad knows the one that hired my mom and he's a nice guy.
Basically I need help finding a job for my mom in the Austin, TX area. She's a great cook.
The only other skills she has other than cooking is that she's great with plants and she can sew.
She's working on her communication skills and trying to better her English.
My parents aren't struggling or anything, they can live off of my dad's income comfortably but my mom's not a stay-at-home type. She gets a little strange when she's at home doing nothing for too long. Besides, since I'm in college the money she makes usually goes to my rent here in Houston. I tried to tell my parents they don't have to pay my rent but they refuse to accept no for an answer. Now my mom is having health problems, most of it is from having to work at that damn resturant.
Suggestions on types of jobs would be nice too (and don't be a smartass and say those "Thai massage" places, it's not funny, in fact it's down right insulting).

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
What about the nursery, since she's great with plants? Or maybe a cook at a different type retaurant? A server? Open up her own Tayloring business?

bleu_ladee

sarNie Egg
ummm... do they have ASSEMBLY JOBS there? Many hmong ladees and men work in assembly here. My aunt how somehow completed college and married a man who is in control of everything... anyhow my aunt has become so DUMB; all she does for a living now is babysit other peoples kids... :huh: butta with her degree she's SMART but when it come down to anything she cant do CRAP! So all she does is babysit. my family and relatives told her to join the assembly LINE... I mean its okae, not much english is neccessary either. I also work in an assembly line with another job in receptionist.

BTW Ima sorry to hear that people are mistreating your mom like that. She should just JUMP UP AND KICK THEM OLD LADEES BOOTAY! keke! I hate people like that...

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure if there is an assembly line in Austin, I'll check into that.

As for a nursery, I was thinking that too but haven't been able to find a place.
I'm also looking around at other resturants but it's hard because most places require interviews and my mom has never done an interview in her life.
As for the tailoring thing, not quite enough money to start her own place but I'm also looking into a place that is hiring. I hope she can still sew because she hasn't done so since I was 12.

my aunt makes a lot of money sewing in Canada. she's kind of a independent contractor on that one.

anyway, don't spoil your mom. if she find there's a better place for her somewhere and they interview, she'll have to do it. it's better than her working at that current place in the long run. you can be her moral support and cheer her on. let her know she'll likely suck the first time, but she'll get better. ;) just get her out of that environment she's currently in. it can't be healthy for her. :eek: you guys can start out small like hitting one place a week or biweekly.

as for the nursery, what about just driving to places that are like the home depot but more "mom and pop" places? when i went looking for work, i got my job at a place that didn't even have the "now hiring" sign going on at all. just went in and asked.

do you guys have an active craigslist where you are? you can check that, too.

ok and if they must pay for your rent, how expensive is your place? :lol:

Liberty

sarNie Adult
They don't have to pay for my rent but my dad insists on doing it because he doesn't want me to have to worry about it while I'm still in school.
I wish I could take my mom around looking for work but I live 3 hrs away in Houston. So everything I do, I have to do by internet and relay it to my dad so he can take my mom around to those places.

As for my rent, it's $605, that's with all bills and cable. $630 if you include internet.
It goes up $25 every time I renew the lease.
I have other bills though that I pay on my own, like tuition, books, foods, expenses, car insurance, cell phone, etc.
That's why my dad doesn't want me to worry about the rent. Every month he deposits the rent into my checking account.

Jane

sarNie Hatchling
i bet it's hard for your mom to find a job especially if her english is limited. i know it will be hard for my mom too, she has not been working since i was in elementary school and i'm now 26 years old. her english is limited also, she says she wants to look for something too, she babysits my cousin's son right now, but he will attend school in the fall and she said she wants to work so she can make some extra money to help my dad.

but the way the economy is now, it's hard for anyone to find a job. i have my bachelor's degree and i still can't find a job!!! i've been out of a job since october of last year b/c i was working 3rd shift and i didn't like mgmt so i quit. now i'm broke!!

but anyways, i hope she finds something that is good for her!!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
i bet it's hard for your mom to find a job especially if her english is limited. i know it will be hard for my mom too, she has not been working since i was in elementary school and i'm now 26 years old. her english is limited also, she says she wants to look for something too, she babysits my cousin's son right now, but he will attend school in the fall and she said she wants to work so she can make some extra money to help my dad.

but the way the economy is now, it's hard for anyone to find a job. i have my bachelor's degree and i still can't find a job!!! i've been out of a job since october of last year b/c i was working 3rd shift and i didn't like mgmt so i quit. now i'm broke!!

but anyways, i hope she finds something that is good for her!!
Thanks. I hope you and your mom find work too. :)

i didn't know u live in tx... only if u live in dallas at my old job la mad their looking for cooks.... but i do hope everything goes good for your mom.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
you should try going to craiglist.com and see if there's anything on there. Maybe she can work as a housekeeper at a hotel. Or she can be one of those assistant chefs that slices stuff for chefs at some catering business or something (prep chefs). Or maybe there's a company that your mom can do in home stuff. I don't know how my aunt started doing this, but she ties little bows for tags that they attach to baby blankets and it's all done at home. Another thing your mom can probably do is cook something...like asian desserts and go have local asian stores/markets sample them and they can order some from your mom each week. My other aunt does it as a side job...she makes kow la song...that green tapioca dessert in coconut milk and she makes layered flour cakes. People order food from her for weddings and parties too. Your mom can probably work for a landscaper too.

te_1_n_only_me

sarNie Egg
Nail Technician. Almost everybody I know is a nail tech. Good money to be found. A lot of people who don't speak a lick of english do nails.

mizterkevin

sarNie Juvenile
I have some friends at UH that own a few restaurants in Houston on Bellaire, but I guess your mom would rather stay in Austin (I don't blame her).

Yeah, if you were in Dallas I could probably help you out a lot more.

I would say get her a job with a bunch of Americans like at Walmart or Home Depot. They're usually super nice to their employees and they hire retirees.

There's also the Container Store and Whole Foods who were both in Fortune Magazine's top 100 Employers to work for. They've got great pay and benefits, but they also hire in a lot of retirees. Most the people there are just laid back workers who didn't want to stop being active. Whole foods hires people who don't speak English very well to work with the food, like the Japanese Sushi lady and the Bakery Mexicans.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Thanks everyone.
I tried to get my mom to do nails a long time ago during the time all of my friend's parents were doing nail school (their English is about the same as my mom's) but she didn't want to. I'm not sure why, maybe she's sensitive to fumes.

I'll try WalMart and see I can find something on craig's list.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
She could do something like work in the nursery at W-Mart or a greeter at W-Mart. My Mom is looking for a simple job too.