sarNie Juvenile
SANG-KAYA MA EUD (Pumpkin Custard)

4-5 eggs
3/4 to 1 cups coconut milk
1/3 palm sugar
a pinch of salt
a Kabocha pumpkin

Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds

Rinse well, and dry the inside, removing all the string and seeds.

In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Mix it well.

Pour mixture into pumpkin.

Bring water to a boil in a steamer. Them place the pumpkin and pumpkin lid inside the steamer rack. Don't cover the pumpkin with its lid.

Cook for 45 mins or till cook. Make sure custard are not running. When it cooled, cut into triangular pieces.

*** Try adding vanilla or pandanus extract to the mixture.
*** When ready to serve, try toping it with shredded coconut.

anan

sarNie Adult
Thanks for sharing the recipe,,, it reminds a grandma(not mine but i consider her as a family) i used to go visit her once a month, i always bring her new thai lakorn to watch and she always make great foods, and including this dessert LOL....

Sometimes i ask & steal some of her traditional recipes LOL....:lol:

Regarding this recipe, the most important ingredient is pumpkin, it must be the "ugly" little kabocha pumpkin, becos it's a creamy one comparing to other kind of pumpkins ^_^

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Kao Tom
Steamed Sticky Rice wrapped in Banana Leaf

Ingredients
3 Cups Sticky Rice (soaked overnight)
4 Cups Coconut Milk
1 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Salt (I usually use only use a few pinches)
4 Bananas, quartered to make 16 sections
16 Bananas leaves, cut into 6" X7" pieces
16 Rubber bands or lengths of twin to secure rice bundle

Preparation

In a saucepan, combine mix the coconut milk sugar and salt.
When the sugar have melted, add the uncooked sticky rice
Bring slowly to a boil, stirring occasionally to keep the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan
Continue boiling and stirring until all of the coconut milk has been absorbed
Add small amount of water
Continue stirring and cooking until rice is done
Remove saucepan from heat to cool

Wrapping Instructions

Place 1 1/2 tablespoon of the cooked sticky rice in the center of a piece of banana leaf.
Place one section of banana alongside the sticky rice and mold the rice around the banana
Add sufficient sticky rice to the other side of the banana to enclose it
Fold the banana leaf around the mixture and secure with a rubber band or string.
Pun the bundles into a steamer tray and steam until rice is fully cooked. (45min?)

***For a faster cooking, use already cooked sticky rice and add it to a smaller amount of coconut milk
***mixture cannot be too liquidly, it will be too runny to wrap
***Get creative, I like to add taro and corns
***The measurement are just estimated, adjust it to your taste
***I don't use string or rubber band, instead on the side of the folded banana leaf, I face it down to keep it in place
***Make sure the rice is cook....
***During the summer, try using corns leaf instead of banana leave.

Enjoy

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Kao Lam
Sticky Rice Cooked Stuffed in Green Bamboo

Ingredients

2 or 3 sections of green bamboo tube (Only one end should be open. Each bamboo opening should be about 3 to 4 diameter and about 12 inches long.)
2 cups sticky rice, soaked over night
1 cup taro root, peels and cut into small pieces (optional)
2 tablespoons sugar
a pinch of salt
4 cups of coconut milk
2 pieces of fresh banana leaf
a long pots

Preparation

Wash and drain the rice. Mix rice, taro root, sugar, and salt, and coconut milk together in a bowl.
Spoon the mixture into the young bamboo sections. Any coconut milk left from the mixture, try pouring it all into the bamboo
Seal with a banana leaf by stuffing it into the open end (I prefer stuffing the top with shredded coconut)
Stand the bamboo in the pots, fill the pot with water, about 3/4 way up the bamboo, make sure the water is not getting into the bamboo
Boil for 45 min or until the rice is cooked.

Crack it open and it's ready to serve. (hint: use the knife to crack it around the closed end.)

*I take it, and then grilled before I eat it, I think it taste better

***It is one of my favorite to make, because I add bean get really creative with it
***We usually make a large amount, so we can freeze it. When we are ready to eat it, I grilled it. Grilling it make much better, it smell very great and taste fresh too.