Laos Hair Accessories

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Hey,
I was wondering where you can find laos hair accessories. For instance the things that go around the bun and the hair pin that sticks out of a hair bun? I tried searching for them on the internet and came up with nothing. And on youtube I see people with those hair pieces and is really interested in finding out if people make it themselves...and if so, does anybody know how? Or if you buy them somewhere in the US?
Thanks

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
You mean the gold chains that peoples normally wear on wedding day etc.? If you mean that you can get at the Asia Jewellery Store/shop.

marley

sarNie Hatchling
Good question!! I would also like to know. My sister is getting married and I have been searching for Lao jewelery.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
You mean the gold chains that peoples normally wear on wedding day etc.? If you mean that you can get at the Asia Jewellery Store/shop.
Yes, the wedding hair jewelry.
I wish we had one of those stores here where I live, but we don't have them :( is there an online store located in Seattle, California? that sells them?

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
My mom have one, but you can also use gold necklaces chain. Put you hair in a bun, then with several golds chain, loop it around your hair, and pin it down with bobbypin. It work great, but can get heavy. :)

~Sandy~

Memories with Oil from his U.S. Tour in Nov 2009!
They are sold at most Asian jewelry stores...there has to be one asian jewelry store in your area or the nearest large city in your state. I got most of mine in Chicago...30mins from my home. My pin tho...was a gift from my grandmother, who went to Laos, and brought it back for me.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
you're just lucky sandy to be close to a large city. I wish I can shop in Chicago. But I think you're right, I have seen it in Asian Jewelry Store, even in Cambodian or Viet jewelry

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Wow Kob Jai Lai Lai! Thank you very much. This give me some ideas for my brother wedding. Hehe. It's going to be a Lao wedding. We are trying to get as much idea as possible. Right now I'm looking for two large clay jar for the hai (jar). Jar of gold and jar of silver for the entrance where guest can put their cards.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
My post was way back in March. So, I'll tell you what we did for my sister. We actually went to a craft store and bought gold beaded chains to wrap it around the bun and make the hanging thing. And, my dad's best friend actually had some hair pieces that she let my sister borrow from Thailand. We didn't tell her my sister was competing in the Laos pageant until a week before.

For a wedding, I think that stuff you get from the stores would be best. If you have family in Laos, you can probably ask them to go buy it and mail it to you from there. Some girls in the pageant got theirs from Laos because they're mom was visiting there.

IRUKYou...that's cool that you're getting jars to decorate! That's soooo Laos and I wish that I thought of that for my aunt's wedding.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
Phone, do you have pictures of you sister wedding? What other things did you do, I really want it to be awesome, and really Lao. :) We will have Lao food, and now I'm wondering what to have for guest favorite. I also need to start ordering flower to be planted. We are going to try to have real flowers that still are in the dirt around the reception, that way the guest can take it along to replant.

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Phone, do you have pictures of you sister wedding? What other things did you do, I really want it to be awesome, and really Lao. :) We will have Lao food, and now I'm wondering what to have for guest favorite. I also need to start ordering flower to be planted. We are going to try to have real flowers that still are in the dirt around the reception, that way the guest can take it along to replant.
My sister didn't get married. It was for the Laos pageant. My aunt did get married in 2003, and I can ask her for photos of her hair. I forgot what she used for hers. But I'll ask to borrow pictures if she has a close up of her hair.

Also...this is so funny, but the grooms' name was Huat (the stuff you make sticky rice in), so for his wedding they put huats up on the wall and placed flowers in them. I thought is was so Laos! And at their wedding, they had the khene keychains (musical instrument) that you can actually make sounds with as party favors. They just got it in Laos when his mother visited there. Other Lao weddings have the "pho spoons" and dipped them in white chocolate. Someone had a chinese themed wedding and had mini fans for everyone (but that's Chinese).

For my aunt's wedding, she didn't have party favors because she did her's on a budget and just had roses placed in vases and whoever wanted those can take it. She just ordered the roses at Costco because they were cheap there and got vases from various craft stores (dollar store too). Very similar to what you are doing. As for my other aunt...I don't really remember her wedding because I was younger. I know we had tons of balloons. However, my aunts had a fruit table at the wedding and had a Laos lady carve the watermelon (like those thai fruit carving stuff) and used kahn as the base of the watermelon and decorated with other fruits. I used to have that picture on my my computer, but I erased them and I don't know where I put them. I will have to ask my aunt to borrow her photo album.

Other wedding favor ideas: if somebody knows how to make that rice cake with carmelized sugar on top, that would be a great Laos party favor. It's crunchy and very tasty. Or you can look up Laos coffee or tea and see how much that would cost you and then when you get it, you can place a scoop of it in a mini bag with a bow tied around it. There's one place in the US that sells Arabica coffee, but maybe you can get a better deal with the Laotian based store. I've never tasted Lao coffee or seen it as a favor. Your brother's wedding can be the first! You can also find mini white elephant statues for "Lan Xang" or anything with elephants on them.

I'll see if I can get those pictures & post it up by Friday.

bardock1524

sarNie Egg
Hey Everyone,
Does anyone know how to make the Lao hair bun for the wedding ceremony! I can't get it right :(

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
Hey Everyone,
Does anyone know how to make the Lao hair bun for the wedding ceremony! I can't get it right :(
Does the person have long hair or short hair?
If it is long, you can keep wrapping. If it is short, you can go buy those cheap fake hair at Sally's Beauty for about 4 bucks. Use, the bigger bobby pins for stronger hold. Secret to the hair thing is strong hair spray.

You can also poof the hair in the front a little, so that it isn't so flat.