Laos is in the Olympics!

Liberty

sarNie Adult
When did that happen?
I wasn't watching it but my boyfriend was and he noticed Laos was in it and called me out to watch it.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
yes!! Seems like Laos is gradually getting noticed and more involved. I'm very proud! What was the sport?

Liberty

sarNie Adult
yes!! Seems like Laos is gradually getting noticed and more involved. I'm very proud! What was the sport?
No idea. I missed their entrance.
They haven't started the games yet, they're just introducing the countries.
hehe I just saw Thailand, small group.

The American team's outfit is pretty nice, designed by Ralph Lauren. hehe
They're dressed like ivy leaguers with a white newsboy cap. Interesting that the men and women have on the exact same outfit.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
Woohoo! Mongolia is in the Olympics too (my great grandmother was part Mongolian).

I'm surprised that N. Korea is in it though.

Man, there are lots of countries I've never even heard of.

:lol: Table tennis is an Olympic sport. That's too funny.

Jane

sarNie Hatchling
I was surprised to see Laos in it too, they were only on tv for about 5 seconds. I'm used to seeing only Thailand in it, i'm glad that Laos is in it too!! I'm supporting both, since I am half Thai, half Laotian :D .

I think there's 4 ppl to represent the games for Laos and about 51 for Thailand.

CTR

The Realist guy here period
I was surprised to see Laos in it too, they were only on tv for about 5 seconds. I'm used to seeing only Thailand in it, i'm glad that Laos is in it too!! I'm supporting both, since I am half Thai, half Laotian :D .

I think there's 4 ppl to represent the games for Laos and about 51 for Thailand.

It's a start. Hopefully, in the future that number can double.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
What sport are the Laotian people competing in?
It didn't look like 51 people on the Thailand side but maybe not all of them were walking. *shrugs*

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I just watched the rerun of the opening and I saw Laos.
They didn't give them enough air time, didn't even zoom in on the flag bearer.
Anyway, it looks like they had about the same amount of walkers as Thailand did.
I'm not sure how many of them are actually participating in the Olympics though.
There was one country that had only one athlete but he had other people from his country join in on the walk.

lady0fdarkness

Professional Lakorn Watcher
As of late, I've been seeing a lot of Laos.

Laos was on an original series on Drectv called "driving aroumd the world."
I'm so very happy that Laos is getting some recognition. People are finally getting familiar with Laos, and see the essence and beauty of it. :D

Sighh... I want to see the mother land.. I want to go to my father's gravesite.

IRukYou

sarNie Juvenile
The Opening of the Olympic was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! The Best I have seen yet!

I was getting a drink in the kitchen when I heard "Laos" by the time I ran back to the TV they were off into another country. I'm proud of them too!

nina07

sarNie Adult
I watched the opening ceremony yesterday but all i saw was Yao Ming talking about his country and the olympics in his hometown. lol.

Liberty

sarNie Adult
I looked it up and it turns out that Laos has been in the Olympics before, several actually.
I don't know why I didn't notice before.

Maya_Fantasy

sarNie Oldmaid
I looked it up and it turns out that Laos has been in the Olympics before, several actually.
I don't know why I didn't notice before.

YES they have been in the Summer Olympics before for many years/games now. It's funny to read how surprised all of you were to see Laos on this year. ^_^
You hardly heard or haven't seen them before is because they never made the cut, probably out of the game at the very first round. Lao's government needs to support their athletes or atleast get them decent uniforms or supply them with proper wears they needed for competing in the games. I knew one person that was in the track and field when the Summer Olympics was held in Atlanta City he didn't even have proper/good running shoes. He have to asked his brother that live here to buy him one so he can use it for the Olympics :rolleyes: Lao's government needs to stop their greediness and corruptions so they can put the money to better use, and that is for the peoples of Laos. :yahoo:

LOL OK don't want to get into politic, but just thought I should mention it. ;)

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
I believe these are the 4 Lao athletes that will compete in the Olympic 2008

Thepphithak Chindavong - Swimming
Philaylack Sackpaseuth - Track & Field
Souksavanh Tonsacktheva - Track & Field
Vilayphone Vongphachanh - Swimming

Liberty

sarNie Adult
YES they have been in the Summer Olympics before for many years/games now. It's funny to read how surprised all of you were to see Laos on this year. ^_^
You hardly heard or haven't seen them before is because they never made the cut, probably out of the game at the very first round. Lao's government needs to support their athletes or atleast get them decent uniforms or supply them with proper wears they needed for competing in the games. I knew one person that was in the track and field when the Summer Olympics was held in Atlanta City he didn't even have proper/good running shoes. He have to asked his brother that live here to buy him one so he can use it for the Olympics :rolleyes: Lao's government needs to stop their greediness and corruptions so they can put the money to better use, and that is for the peoples of Laos. :yahoo:

LOL OK don't want to get into politic, but just thought I should mention it. ;)
Although I agree with what you're saying. It's not the country's responsibility to fund their athletes, at least that's not the case in the US.
I mean seriously, if my tax money was being spent on paying for shoes and uniforms of athletes, I don't care who they are, I'd be pissed. There are more important things that the money can go to. Getting to compete in the Olympics and winning a medal is a great for the athletes and all, but how does that help the rest of the nation? It would actually be taking away money from those who really need it.
In the US as well as many other countries, the athletes are being paid and funded through sponsers and product endorsments.
Why do you think American athletes get paid so much? They're being paid for doing a "job" but a big chunk of that money is coming for product endorsments.

What Laos needs to do is work on establishing a better economy.