Laos People in the US

tye-niranh

sarNie Adult
You're right about determination and hard work, natty. I came to the United States when I was 10 years old. I didn't speak a word of English. Had to learn everything from scratch. It was very poor in Laos. We had 6 people in the family. I remember one egg fed our whole family. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to share this story with anyone b/c this is what motivated me to do well with my education and my career. This teaches me not to take things for granted. We sometimes forget how hard it is for people in other countries to survive. I've yet to accomplish everything that I want but I can tell you this. My parents are so proud of me! They don't sit there and compare me to other people's kids. They're just so proud of me for working hard and having an easy job, compared to them. Both my parents work in factories. They don't speak English well and this is the only thing that they can do. To answer sleepy's question. I have two degrees. BS in International Business and BS in Transportation/Logistics. Two minors: Spanish and Marketing. Parents couldn't afford to send me to college so I had to work hard to get scholarships. Also took out school loans. I also worked all throughout college just to make ends meet.

Keomany

Music.heal.All
im a second year at AIB ( American Insitution of Business) i am majoring in Business Administration....im not successful yet but i am trying..i just think trying to better yourself and continue your education itself is success to me in life..instead of just doing the same old lifestyle and not trying to improve anything...i dont know either compare to everyone i sound like the stupidest one!

hsiao23

sarNie Egg
A good education is definitely the start to any success story. I'm going to make my story quick because I am studying for exams. I'm currently in a known college in Boston(name is not mentioned for privacy sakes) in my Junior year studying Biology and Management. I want to be sucessful in the field of Biotechnology. Most likely after I graduate with my bachelor of science I will go after my MBA and then Doctorate. I envision opening up businesses worldwide and working (global) corporately, but I have one big goal which is to retire young. So that means education is a big factor in realizing my goal. Not to mention my family are(will be) all college graduates in the near future. I too, have grown up with non-english speaking parents, but that has never hindered my education in any way but encouraged me to strive higher.

arissa

sarNie Elites
You're right about determination and hard work, natty. I came to the United States when I was 10 years old. I didn't speak a word of English. Had to learn everything from scratch. It was very poor in Laos. We had 6 people in the family. I remember one egg fed our whole family. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to share this story with anyone b/c this is what motivated me to do well with my education and my career. This teaches me not to take things for granted. We sometimes forget how hard it is for people in other countries to survive. I've yet to accomplish everything that I want but I can tell you this. My parents are so proud of me! They don't sit there and compare me to other people's kids. They're just so proud of me for working hard and having an easy job, compared to them. Both my parents work in factories. They don't speak English well and this is the only thing that they can do. To answer sleepy's question. I have two degrees. BS in International Business and BS in Transportation/Logistics. Two minors: Spanish and Marketing. Parents couldn't afford to send me to college so I had to work hard to get scholarships. Also took out school loans. I also worked all throughout college just to make ends meet.
I agree with you...BUt I didnt have my parents..I have only my sisters and brothers...Because our parents passed away when we were young..and we were left to be raised up by my older sister...whom I LOVE with all my heart...My sister did not graduate from high school because she had to take care of us. SHe worked sooo hard just to put food on the table and pay the bills...She worked at an Electronic COmpany..as an Electronic assembler....and then deliver papers with my older brothers.....EVERY night during dinner she would always tell us to study hard because she dont want us to be like her...None of our realatives would talk to us..because we were sooo feraking POOR...and they were afraid that we would go ask them for MONEY...and HELLZ no....my sister kept her head up high...and work hard to buy clothes to keep us warm and enough food for us to eat....I graduated with a BS in Finance and Marketing back in 2001. I worked as a financial analyst for 3 years with a high profile investment company (cant say the name)..Then decided to pursue something different...I decided to explore the Dental HYgiene prgram..and received my BS in Applied Science..SInce then I have been working in the dental field.,,,and loving it...I guess..all i want to say is...bad things that happens in our life...will only make us a stronger person...just stay strong/focus and think positive....Dont ask for more..but be happy with what u have....I guess I can say that I am happy with all that has happen in my life...I would not trade it for anything in the world...I am happy with my education..

CTR

The Realist guy here period
Not successful yet but on my way.

Mother: Thai
Dad: Laotian and a little bit of Chinese and Thai

My father swan across the Mekong River to escape the Communist regime that was about to take control of Laos. On his way, he came to a small town and met my mom there and they got married. I was born in that small town and both of my parents worked really hard to put food on our table. One day my dad decided there were no future for us living in Thailand so he told his brother who came to the US two years earlier to find a sponsor for us.

So my dad decided to sign us up for refugee camp and we were moved to three refugee camps before a pastor working with a Catholic Charity was able to bring us to the USA. I had so much fun in the refugee camps but it was hard times as well. They gave us so little to eat and there were so much restrictions. Both of my parents do not speak English that well but they always pushed me to stride for my goals and told me to never give up. I came to the US with my parents when I was seven. It was hard at first because it was a different culture, I did not speak a word of English, those Caucasian kids were mean as well, etc. I used their hated words for motivation in everything I do. I remember, I would read endlessly so that my English would improve and my writing as well. My sister was born here and I will push her to do her best just like I did because no one gave us a chance to succeed in life. For that, I always honor my parents because of what they have given my sister and I. To all the hardship and struggle.

Not bragging but giving glory to GOD. Always stay humble that is my model.

High School: Valedictorian

College: Private college in Wisconsin, senior year majoring in Business Administration with an emphasis on Human Resources and Management.

Future goals:

* To gain more work experience before applying to a top graduate schools working on a MBA and later a doctorate degree.

* To be involve in the community especially mentoring and helping in the Lao Community.

* To help mom have a nice retirement since dad passed away.

* Make sure my little sister finish her bachelor degree.

It is great to know that Lao people still honor their parents and elders. With love and respect.

klarissa

sarNie Hatchling
I think this is a very interesting topic. But, in a way I think that no matter how far you go in education, what matters in the end is how hard you are willing to work in your career field. You may become a doctor, through books and exams and long nights fiddling with your brain, however when it comes time to practice, if you have no passion, it just wont work out. I think everyone has their own passions to persue whatever they want to persue that is what ultimately gets them there. Without that passion, goal, or motivation, one cannot really get there, succesfully.

I'm currently a business management major at a private catholic college, and was senior class president of my high school. I'm also working part-time at bank of america as a personal banker. I'm integrating all of that together *work and school* to make it easier for me when i'm done with school. I think it's a good idea for those who haven't started looking to start looking and get your foot in the door. DOn't be discouraged, get your foot in the door and just do it. No matter who says what, when or where, or what you want to do, it's your passion, your life, and your future.

KEdoubleNY

sarNie Adult
oooo lots of success stories. Ain't got one to share with but yea did go to college. Major was Law Enforcement but due to some circumstances .. didn't finish. As of planning to go back .. not in the mind. Mind still hustling in the streets trying to make ends meet *paying the bills*.

To the the Lao brothaz n sistaz .. good luck on what ya doing. Keep ya head high and try ya best to be what ya wanna be.

Keomany

Music.heal.All
nice topic and interesting story...i just got my assiocate from a business school but not sure where to go here..but i always remember it dont matter how you start on where you end up...i agree goodluck to everyone!

natty

Chubs
you know i'm not laos but my nan is laos.. her story is amazing as well.. but anyways.. it's great to hear successful stories.. i wish others have stories like this.. stories of educations, of success not stories of "my parents allowed me to get married.. and i'm only 14"..

PhoneO_5

sarNie Oldmaid
I went to Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. I hold Master degree in Computer Science and Bachelor in Math. And yeappp my parent can’t speak English… but after all our hard work, everything pays off..

I love to see Laos people become very successfully in everything they do… many Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese is leading in the Asian community.. I want to see Laos on the list. When I mention “Laos” country to some White people.. they’re like… what is that?? That’s a shame.. we need to get our name out there…

Congrats on getting your master's in computer science. I tried computer science in high school and didn't like it at all. Wasn't my thing because I never understood it.

But, now I currently attend Eastern Washington University as a sophemore majoring in Nursing. Next year, I will be attending the Intercollegiate Nursing School at Washington State University.

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
My mom is Laotian...though not natively. She's not around anymore, but anyway, my dad did work hard for me to get where I'm at today. He worked two jobs and all I had to do was study so I think I had the easy part. I don't think I'm a success yet, but I'm getting a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry from Yale in December. I should have gotten it this past May but I ran into some problems I think some of us here would understand. I plan on going to Law School after college but will probably work for a bit to save some money. With the money, I'm going to borrow more money and help my dad open a restaurant. If the restaurant does well, I might try to get an MBA along with a JD. And if it doesn't, then well, I had helped my dad get a shot at his dream.

Anyway, I feel the same way you do Sleep. I would like to see people with similar backgrounds as me succeed whether they're any race really. I had a lot of help growing up. So in a way, I would like to return that help in any way I could. It's also one of the reasons I decided I want to go to law school. There's a lot I can do to help SE Asians and Lao people if I had a law degree as I remember my family getting into a couple of problems with the law as a kid. I remember an asian lawyer helped my family out for free. I don't remember if he was Laos or Thai, but I remember being very glad he helped us. But yah, I still got ways to go, but I'm hoping to be a big success one day.

exp0

sarNie Juvenile
We don't really have to get our ethnic background out there, just as long as we are doing what is right and keep on doing it. Meaning going to school from pre-k and graduate from college with a Bachelor's, Master's or even a Doctorate degree.

It is awkard when a caucasion person asks you where were your family originally from and you say Laos. And they're like what city again? lmfao. I even had a nurse ask me when I took my mother to the doctor's office one day. He said, so where are you guys from. I said Lao, and he replied 'is that the Dhali Llama?'. I gave him a wtf look and I said no.

I am currently at UF working on my MBA. I had to work at the flea market on the weekends when I was 13 til I graduated HS, my parents didn't want me to work at local stores, they said it would interfere with my school and extra curricular activities. Sports scholarship paved the way for me to attend college, I had participated in soccer, track, cross country, and softball throughout my years in HS.

Sorry if my writing seems irrelevant. This French Vanilla Iced Latte from Dunkin Donuts is getting me hyper.

lilxgxriah

sarNie Adult
daym, if any of you guys do have ur own businesses, hire me!! haha...right now im in the top 10% of my class in highschool, goin to be a senior next year! yay...will be going to college, and studying abroad in china for about two years...im going to major in Internatinal Business and minor in something business related such as management or marketing...so yep, im positive this is what im doing! haha..wow all of you guys are so inspiring!...no matter how cheesy that sounds lol

marduk

Sarnie Clown!
I have to say I admire you quite a bit.

I agree with you...BUt I didnt have my parents..I have only my sisters and brothers...Because our parents passed away when we were young..and we were left to be raised up by my older sister...whom I LOVE with all my heart...My sister did not graduate from high school because she had to take care of us. SHe worked sooo hard just to put food on the table and pay the bills...She worked at an Electronic COmpany..as an Electronic assembler....and then deliver papers with my older brothers.....EVERY night during dinner she would always tell us to study hard because she dont want us to be like her...None of our realatives would talk to us..because we were sooo feraking POOR...and they were afraid that we would go ask them for MONEY...and HELLZ no....my sister kept her head up high...and work hard to buy clothes to keep us warm and enough food for us to eat....I graduated with a BS in Finance and Marketing back in 2001. I worked as a financial analyst for 3 years with a high profile investment company (cant say the name)..Then decided to pursue something different...I decided to explore the Dental HYgiene prgram..and received my BS in Applied Science..SInce then I have been working in the dental field.,,,and loving it...I guess..all i want to say is...bad things that happens in our life...will only make us a stronger person...just stay strong/focus and think positive....Dont ask for more..but be happy with what u have....I guess I can say that I am happy with all that has happen in my life...I would not trade it for anything in the world...I am happy with my education..
Your sister is an amazing person and she must be very proud of you. Congrats on finding something you love.

Zero Gravity

sarNie Hatchling
I went to Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee. I hold Master degree in Computer Science and Bachelor in Math. And yeappp my parent can’t speak English… but after all our hard work, everything pays off..

I love to see Laos people become very successfully in everything they do… many Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese is leading in the Asian community.. I want to see Laos on the list. When I mention “Laos” country to some White people.. they’re like… what is that?? That’s a shame.. we need to get our name out there…

Big Congrads to you and everyone else, I get that alot on first day at tech school they ask me what nationality I am and I told them I'm half laos and viet and this guy in my intro class he said "what's Laos?" and I had to use other word "laotian" thats more shame there. I agree with sl33py we need more name out there, right now I'm attending Lincoln-tech and I have 3 more months left till I graduate. "exhausted"

nophankh

sarNie Adult
Hey, I just graduated from college (5 weeks ago) and now I'm a totally bum. I have no ambition to succeed in life or start a family. I'm kinda in limbo.
I sleep at 5am---don't know why. I have a sleeping window. If I don't sleep by 11pm, I can't sleep until 5am.

Personally, I find joining the rat race so tiring and terrifying. I just want to travel and live my life selfishly. Right now, I can't do either because I'm so poor.

I want to be a writer, but I don't know what to write about.

I don't want to make an impact, I don't plan to be successful. I just don't have that ambition nature. I see many people selling their souls and I just say, "you do that, I'll say over here."

Nae_jai_leaw_lur

sarNie Egg
I am 18 rite now and just graduated from high school. I am currently attending college at Michigan Tech and I am majoring in Movie directing. It's only been the first week of class and already I'm loving it. But I've got bigger news for you guys. I am currently involved in acting as well, I do advertisement for commercials and pretty soon I plan on going big, going for movies and even for shows on Disney channel and such. That's not where it stops, I am currently taking singing classes rite now and I plan on going big with singing as well. I come from a really big family actually, a family of 15 brother and sisters. So as you can probably tell I don't come from a wealthy family. That's why I'm taking what I'm capable of and making it big, so you guys better be expecting me soon on the big screens.

kumani

sarNie Egg
It's nice to hear that some laotians are making it. I'm from Merced, CA. It's dead there. Most laotians I know are... lets say doing nothing with their lives.

My contribution to this topic:

I am 21 and currently attending UCLA. I'm going on my fourth year but might not be my last. I might push it back for studying abroad...yes..in thailand. haha. I want to do laos but UCLA does not have a contract with the university there. I am majoring in biological psychology and want to go to optometry school. I've decided on Southern California School of Optometry. Sadly I'm the only one finishing college in my family of eight kids and I don't blame them. I am the youngest and when we came to the US I understand their difficulties with the whole culture clash thing and their difficulties with the english language. but they alright people and happy that's all that matter.

dfemc

sarNie Adult
Hey, I just graduated from college (5 weeks ago) and now I'm a totally bum. I have no ambition to succeed in life or start a family. I'm kinda in limbo.
I sleep at 5am---don't know why. I have a sleeping window. If I don't sleep by 11pm, I can't sleep until 5am.

Personally, I find joining the rat race so tiring and terrifying. I just want to travel and live my life selfishly. Right now, I can't do either because I'm so poor.

I want to be a writer, but I don't know what to write about.

I don't want to make an impact, I don't plan to be successful. I just don't have that ambition nature. I see many people selling their souls and I just say, "you do that, I'll say over here."
i feel ya sistah :D the rat race is full of rat poop....

but hey to u Michigan Tech Kid and UCLA person, props to u all, u guys have HEART :)